• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Im drunk as fuck but I'll make avatar bet on my fucking life about this. Avengers Endgame will beat the shit out of avatar.

#RocketIsTheBestAvenger
I bought telltale guardians or whatever the fuck just because of my undying love of Rocket.

Era I love you. I fucking love you. Im puking my guts out tommorow but I love you so fucking much
Least Jimbei post possible.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I don't see it outgrossing Avatar worldwide. I don't see it outgrossing Infinity War domestically either.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think most people don't expect it to beat Avatar so this doesn't really feel like a bold thread or challenge. Of course there will always be the odd person making huge claims but it doesn't mean the majority of people think that.

It'll probably sneak past Titanic WW which would be a huge achievement.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
It's about them legs. What major competition did Infinity War face at the cinema? Deadpool 2, an R rated comedy, and a Star Wars spin-off that people had mixed feelings towards the moment that it was announced, starring a completely unknown entity in the lead role.

Endgame is going up against Detective Pikachu, Aladdin, Godzilla, Toy Story 4 and Lion King within weeks of coming out. These movies won't make the same splash as Endgame, but they're going to eat into its box office total in a concerted way that Infinity War just didn't have to face.

Additionally, sequels that see a drop in the box office are the norm, they don't just happen because people didn't like the last movie. Spider-Man 2 had a box office that dropped down from the first one, but they were both massive crowd pleasers in 2002 and 2004 respectively. Not to mention that Empire Strikes Back had a huge drop in box office from the original Star Wars. It's not impossible for Endgame to do better than Infinity War, but to do much better than an immediate predecessor is to be the exception, not the rule.

Why are you referencing Spider Man 2 and Empire Strikes Back as if Endgame is being propositioned in a similar way to those movies lol? Notice that both those movies are the middle of the story. And now look at their sequels that were the end of their storyline and look at how much they grossed. Endgame is not the middle of a story arc. It's the conclusion of everything the MCU has built up to. I fail to see how someone can miss this simple fact and compare it to movies like the ones you did as if they were comparable at all. When both the series referenced have the very evidence that finales absolutely lead to a boost in the box office.

In my opinion you will be easily proven wrong. A movie that is looking extremely likely to open to over $1b in one weekend will cruise past Infinity War's WW total, atrocious legs or not. That is so big an opening that this is basically guaranteed, even with the worst legs possible (which i doubt will happen anyway because everything points to this being an extreme crowd pleaser).

Oct 30, 2017
To overcomes Avatar where would the growth be? Even with China it's a tall order when Avatar made an additional $700,000,000+ more after hitting $2 billion!

The more I think about Avatars' total number the more absurd it becomes even a decade later.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why do you think that? I can't see any way that it is going to fall short of IW.

I just don't see Endgame building on Infinity War audience wise. I feel like Infinity War and the original Avengers are about the peak of what you will see for the MCU outside of other special factors (like the large black turnout for Black Panther for example). Taking that into account, and the fact that one would have had to have seen Infinity War before seeing Endgame, I feel like whatever Endgame makes will be within the domestic gross of Infinity War.

Basically, I see IW's domestic gross as Endgame's max.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
If the film fails to meet expectations, cinematically speaking—in any way—then yeah, no chance.

But if it's as good as the hype is building it to be, then Avatar's record of I'll be in serious jeopardy.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I just don't see Endgame building on Infinity War audience wise. I feel like Infinity War and the original Avengers are about the peak of what you will see for the MCU outside of other special factors (like the large black turnout for Black Panther for example). Taking that into account, and the fact that one would have had to have seen Infinity War before seeing Endgame, I feel like whatever Endgame makes will be within the domestic gross of Infinity War.

Basically, I see IW's domestic gross as Endgame's max.
A bigger opening weekend should put it over IW in the end.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would like some of this money. Do I get some? Why should I care?

I'm just hoping it's good.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It made that much money because people liked the movie that much. It's as simple as that. There were much fewer 3D screens worldwide at the time, not even five percent of what's currently out there, and that's a fact.

Of course people liked the movie. Hell, I enjoyed the movie. The word of mouth regarding Avatar was insane, and a big part of it was the frenzy around its 3d and it gave a huge bump to 3d cinema. I can't speak for everyone and everywhere, but at least that's the impression I got from around here (Portugal), and back then, the 3d tickets were much more expensive than the regular ones. I'm not saying that's the only reason Avatar did well, but I do believe it was the reason it did as well as it did (aka the most profitable movie ever made).

Also, 3d movies are on decline since then, "and that's a fact.":

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/3...NvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=celsjofJEgPaEOUgrdy6HA

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar was a product of circumstance and a perfect storm. That's not to knock it by any means, but let's keep it real here: it's a decent-to-good movie that road the waves of its circumstances that most films couldn't dream of.

Cameron won't have that luxury next time, but it's foolhardy to think A2 won't make bank even if only out of curiosity from the people who liked the first Avatar.

Avatar 2 is already has a floor of a billion (conservative.)

A3 is the real test IMO

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think anyone honestly believes it will beat Avatar so the entire premise of this bet seems pointless.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
There is what 22 marvel movies and only 1 avatar movie right? Marvel already won in the movie department over both star wars and avatar combined. Once avatar gets those other movies finished it will take second place from star wars.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Is the avatar Avatar related?
That is a mystery. It might be, it might not be. So are you in or out?

Avengers will win easily.
In or out?

Endgame will gross more than Avatar so im in
tumblr_oto92e8YgQ1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
To overcomes Avatar where would the growth be? Even with China it's a tall order when Avatar made an additional $700,000,000+ more after hitting $2 billion!

The more I think about Avatars' total number the more absurd it becomes even a decade later.
Yeah, that combination of James Cameron and newfangled 3D visuals was a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Even Endgame won't be able to strike lightning like that, though it will certainly break all of the opening weekend records and maybe some of the opening month records as well.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't see it outgrossing Avatar worldwide. I don't see it outgrossing Infinity War domestically either.

It has a shot at Avatar, although I wouldn't put money on it just yet. But there is no possible way in hell it doesn't beat Infinity War. I'll be fairly surprised if it doesn't beat Titanic, unless it's somehow terrible and nobody wants to see it again.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if end game beats detective Pikachu with decent legs? I'm talking 300m opening, 150 2nd weekend, 70-80 million third weekend. And detective Pikachu makes only 60ish million.

Diya

Oct 27, 2017
Underworld
As much as I'd like to see Endgame overtake it, I think Avatar will retain the top spot globally. I could at best see Endgame take second place though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help Cameron can't help himself to chime in every month or so to shit talk superhero/comicbook movies, at this point he's asking for it, lol.

Do you think he stands on a soapbox in the middle of the street or something.

If he gets asked a question during an interview, he's gonna answer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.