• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I was but a child when this thing was announced. Just show us the damn game already.

Feb 24, 2018
Just reveal the damn game already, Square. All these stupid behind-closed-doors demos don't speak to a team that's confident about their project.
This is something I've been curious about, Square Enix (especially the western side) are known over react and micro mange their studios because of what's happening in the rest of the gaming world, we saw this with the beginning of this gen when they deemed the PS4 and Xbox One likely failures due to the WiiU not succeeding and how several studios complained about their behaviour.

Knowing that, I wonder if the reaction and fallout of Fallout 76 and Anthem has caused this secrecy, afraid of the same reactions they had?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It was only like a couple of years ago...
I remember it like it was yesterday. I had just come home from my first day of kindergarten, and my mother welcomed me with a warm hug and a bowl of Cookie Crisp. I sat in front of our old JVC TV, ready to watch the newest episode of Power Rangers, when she told me the news. "Squenix is making an Avengers game," she said. That's when the avalanche hit, and my life changed forever.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I remember it like it was yesterday. I had just come home from my first day of kindergarten, and my mother welcomed me with a warm hug and a bowl of Cookie Crisp. I sat in front of our old JVC TV, ready to watch the newest episode of Power Rangers, when she told me the news. "Squenix is making an Avengers game," she said. That's when the avalanche hit, and my life changed forever.
The_hell_you_talking_about.gif

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I just can't see how developers are planning to deliver amazing "cinematic action adventure" with at least 3 completely different gameplay systems (cap/widow, tony/Thor, hulk), while making sure everyone will be fun to play in coop. Apparently that scene with flying iron man is scripted on rails sequence, not something player can do himself. Sounds like core gameplay is on foot, like ultimate alliance with high production values, deeper combat system and less characters, while single player has "superhero" moments in form of QTE's and scripted sequences.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see how developers are planning to deliver amazing "cinematic action adventure" with at least 3 completely different gameplay systems (cap/widow, tony/Thor, hulk), while making sure everyone will be fun to play in coop. Apparently that scene with flying iron man is scripted on rails sequence, not something player can do himself. Sounds like core gameplay is on foot, like ultimate alliance with high production values, deeper combat system and less characters, while single player has "superhero" moments in form of QTE's and scripted sequences.

The worst part is, man did that Taskmaster boss fight as Black Widow look awful in the potato-cam footage. Just endless mashing of the shoot button doing no damage to him, occasionally dodging an attack, then repeat.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
If you're not ready to show the public, don't announce it. This is so stupid

Personally, every game should follow the Mortal Kombat 11 formula:

MK11 was revealed in December 2018, it was released 5 months later in April 2019. The game was nearly complete when it was shown to the public and live gameplay was shown the following month, a server test in March, a beta at the end of March until the beginning of April, and then release at the end of April.

Basically, reveal the game 4-5 months before you're ready to launch, use the months before release to build hype, drop a content deficient beta/demo that accurately represents the final product without giving away much at all, and then release the game. Money.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Every story/main mission is scripted with you play as. You can only choose heroes and play co-op only in side missions (and I think in free roam, but I'm not sure on that one). So I think it won't be that hard to craft each main/story mission to suit it your playable hero.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Interesting that this is getting so much negative reaction when CDPR did the same thing with CP2077 (two years in a row now) and yet didn't get much criticism.

To be clear, I personally thing both situations were/are shitty and deserved to be called out.
To be fair, we've already seen some gameplay of CP2077 and the trailers have been good. The same can't be said about this game, that first trailer was some serious hype killer.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Personally, every game should follow the Mortal Kombat 11 formula:

MK11 was revealed in December 2018, it was released 5 months later in April 2019. The game was nearly complete when it was shown to the public and live gameplay was shown the following month, a server test in March, a beta at the end of March until the beginning of April, and then release at the end of April.

Basically, reveal the game 4-5 months before you're ready to launch, use the months before release to build hype, drop a content deficient beta/demo that accurately represents the final product without giving away much at all, and then release the game. Money.
And NR dealt with years of "So, when MK11" and "oh god, ed boon grabbed a cup of coffee. he is going to announce MK11 today. There is precedent because he had a cup of water before they uploaded the Injustice 2 trailer!" and all that jazz

It isn't like anyone's expectations are going to get any higher or any lower. All this does is change the conversation from "So when are we going to have an avengers game announced" to "When can I see this avengers game". Well, more "Holy shit... that looks bad" but whatever

Or, more pointedly: If the story is going to be out there either way, you might as well try to shape it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017

It's me, your father. I'm back Son.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The press at E3 weren't wowed by the gameplay they saw. So lets hope they have a more polished build.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
If you're judging this games existence based solely on the potato-cam footage, be patient. I was pleasently surprised by what i saw at E3.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I feel like this and the DC game are taking too long to show anything of worth. I wan't this to be good but the CGI trailer didn't impress me. After the amazing(NPI) Spiderman on PS4 this game has a lot to live up to. Show all of us the goods you cowards!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
And NR dealt with years of "So, when MK11" and "oh god, ed boon grabbed a cup of coffee. he is going to announce MK11 today. There is precedent because he had a cup of water before they uploaded the Injustice 2 trailer!" and all that jazz
What? No they didn't. Injustice and Mortal Kombat have been trading off every two years for almost a decade. NRS is one of the only truly consistent game studios working right now, unless you count sports games.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the sort of shit I hate about SDCC. Attendees only bullshit. I can understand having an exclusive for a week or something like that, but forcing people to be left out because they can't attend SDCC is stupid as fuck.

It's not like SDCC is having a hard time selling tickets and they need to get people to attend. Going to SDCC can cost thousands of dollars depending on where you live.

I've also never understood why companies want to show trailers to 2000 people in an auditorium and not 16 million on youtube.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Hope they pull a CDPR and show off what they did behind closed doors soon. Yeah I know these games are coming in hot and could/will likely be optimized (aka "downgrades") at launch but just let the audience know that IT WILL CHANGE, WIP. I can already tell from the closed door demo of Cyberpunk is that the density of the city npc will be drastically lowered but in the end, I am more happy with them showing it off.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Very curious how they approach this after the reaction to the E3 reveal.

I'm still extremely excited for this, but they really need to start communicating exactly what the game is at this point.

I'm not sure keeping gameplay behind closed doors is the best course of action. I know it is 9 months away, but people are curious after the E3 reveal.

Perhaps at Gamescom we will see more.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
What? No they didn't. Injustice and Mortal Kombat have been trading off every two years for almost a decade. NRS is one of the only truly consistent game studios working right now, unless you count sports games.
Or just about every annual release

That still doesn't stop the people from knowing it is coming and speculating as to when. And we've had plenty of "oh god, it is MK11" since well before e3 2018

Again: Absolutely nobody is shocked by these big profile titles being announced and complaining about an early announcement ignores the actual situation

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
not showing gameplay this close to release?

they either think the games the secondcoming of christ, or not good enough to fully reveal yet. not a good sign either way

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
behind closed doors again..?
I guess we are getting more potato cam footage like that E3 one....

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this game is supposed to be releasing early next year? Why do I get the feeling that this is ripe for a delay...

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I think we will see gameplay with SDCC. Maybe not as much as people at SDCC, but as someone that won't be attending, I'm okay with this.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I mean, you are obviously exaggerating but I could see it being an Anthem situation (not necessarily a technical problem like the engine though).
Yeah I'm playing it up for laughs, I just find it hilarious that we waited so long for news and the big reveal was a trailer with little (if any) gameplay and a dev team who don't seem to be able to actually explain how their game works. I don't know if that's down to strict NDAs or the game being a muddled mess, but reading all the E3 interviews had me more confused about how it was all meant to fit together. It's astonishing to me that Marvel and Star Wars are, like, the two biggest brands in the world at the moment and yet Disney hasn't worked to build a prominent gaming presence