• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's right. Seems situation is dire for the titles and risk of servers shutting down is real. They pending upon Marvel's approval for further development and aren't staying with SE as it is - were also included in the deal with Embracer:

Also being specifically discussed in Reddit and Steam in here:

steamcommunity.com

Eidos and Crystal Dynamics sold to a Swedish company! :: Marvel's Avengers - The Definitive Edition General Discussions

Good decision. https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-enters-into-an-agreement-to-acquire-eidos-crystal-dynamics-and-square-enix-montreal-amongst-other-assets/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I...don't think Guardians has servers, does it? But yeah, I guess Avengers could potentially be screwed if things don't pan out with Disney/Marvel Games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They could delist the game maybe? The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games were, if I recall.

I guess this is technically true, they could theoretically remove the game from sale if Disney doesn't agree to extend the licenses to Embracer.

Why Disney would refuse to do that is beyond me, though. Especially in Guardians' case, it's basically just free money for them.

Oct 29, 2017
Not that GotG had super strong legs to guarantee a sequel, but the last thing it needs is for some licensing shenanigans to also get in the way of a potential sequel. It was so good and the team behind it were clearly dedicated to doing right by the license/were incredibly talented.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Microsoft just made the Gamepass deal for Guardians so I don't see that going away. Would be nuts if Avengers did. Could make physical copies somewhat valuable. Would be kinda ironic.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Will they patch out the "Need to go online once" requirement then if that's a real risk? GaaS is really the worst, unless it's a battle royale. With the cool combat system they got here, they shouldve added one of those.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
These games are already dead. Embracer owns Dark Horse Comics, Marvel's not going to license their characters to someone that has a direct competitor.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Avengers had so much potential and they just made it into a 10000x worse destiny clone. Absolutely baffling. I was looking forward to all the heroes being released snd even defended the game for a time with my friend cause the game would get good eventually… we quit by Wakanda snd I don't regret that decision.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
These games are already dead. Embracer owns Dark Horse Comics, Marvel's not going to license their characters to someone that has a direct competitor.

Eh maybe. I don't know if Dark Horse is a big enough brand - at least in the video game sense - for that to be an issue. Not to mention, no one knows that Embracer owns them. Its not like Warner Bros with DC for instance. You could be right, buit I doubt Disney cares all that much about Dark Horse.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Avengers "risks dying".

Honestly, best-case scenario. There's no saving it. If we get new Deus Ex games out of the deal? Even better.

It's just a damn shame the black hole that is Avengers also took Guardians down with it.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
More so Avengers than GotG but

well-bye.gif

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the assumption here that Disney/Marvel will deep-six the current arrangement? This is a bit premature, isn't it?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh maybe. I don't know if Dark Horse is a big enough brand - at least in the video game sense - for that to be an issue. Not to mention, no one knows that Embracer owns them. Its not like Warner Bros with DC for instance. You could be right, buit I doubt Disney cares all that much about Dark Horse.
Lego star wars was made by WB game studios or published by them at least. I doubt it's a blocker in any way at all

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing about Avengers, if Embracer does decide to continue development, is it might end up in a better place. It would immediately be one of the more high-profile things on Embracer's docket and they have more than enough manpower to throw at it if they wanted to reinvent it or give it a relaunch.

Which is not to say they'd do that, but it literally cannot end up in a worse state than it is now. Even actually dead would be better than the shambling corpse of a game it is now.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Avengers has been at the risk of dying since the month it came out all on its own without any outside interference lol. I say this as someone who bought the gold edition before launch :)

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Why is the assumption here that Disney/Marvel will deep-six the current arrangement? This is a bit premature, isn't it?
It's an interesting situation. Would Disney/Marvel want out? Is the assumption that Embracer would want out correct? I don't know, but I'd imagine that it's not as obvious as we are thinking here. At very least a second GotG game I could see it happening. We will know for sure in the upcoming months either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This seems pretty standard for acquisitions, no? What reason would Disney have to not approve this?

Before the news of the acquisition, I was starting to think Guardians had a chance of getting a sequel. Despite its initial sales performance, the more recent comments about it suggested it was picking up steam. Winning awards, positive word of mouth, and appearing on Game Pass seem to have helped it.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Avengers had so much potential and they just made it into a 10000x worse destiny clone. Absolutely baffling. I was looking forward to all the heroes being released snd even defended the game for a time with my friend cause the game would get good eventually… we quit by Wakanda snd I don't regret that decision.

Yeah, something made no sense. The characters should've been a top priority. This "Destiny" format wasn't very convincing either. It's a mess.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Kill them both. GoTG is a decent game but I'd take the worst Deus Ex over it any day. Plus there are enough licensed/Marvel on the way as is.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
As I said, you need to be a special kind of developer to pick the "Avengers" game after Endgame and turn into a failure.

Let's hope that all the baffling actions were caused by SE execs instead of their developers.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
From someone comment:

They will have to work out how to transfer current customers square-enix account details and micro-transaction purchases across to a new system legally within US,EU data-protection laws as you cannot simply transfer customers personal data between companies.

Its not as simple as signing a new agreement with Disney/Marvel and all these things are going to cost them money so will depend on how much revenue the game is making.

If it is the case. i think it is high chance that they will just let this die

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
It is so hilarious when you realize that last year Square E3 presentation was 50% these games, went from main part of their marketing to someone else problem

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Let Avengers die. It's clear even the devs are over it. Start fresh for the whole studio.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
It is so hilarious when you realize that last year Square E3 presentation was 50% these games, went from main part of their marketing to someone else problem
This was my first thought when I saw the news. I was imagining how much more interesting their showcase can be without dedicating over half of it to guardians of the galaxy.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
From someone comment:

They will have to work out how to transfer current customers square-enix account details and micro-transaction purchases across to a new system legally within US,EU data-protection laws as you cannot simply transfer customers personal data between companies.

Its not as simple as signing a new agreement with Disney/Marvel and all these things are going to cost them money so will depend on how much revenue the game is making.

If it is the case. i think it is high chance that they will just let this die

Oh my God I didn't think about the Square Enix account link bullshit. Forget Avengers, if that's actually a problem then Guardians of the Galaxy is deader than dead. Like not even just killing the chance at a sequel, that's destroying the original game.

Holy fuck that is fucking dire.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Guardians by Telltale was delisted very quickly, if this happens again the IP is cursed