• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
zeHWzoB.png

iJ8pwd9.png

PVdleCi.png

O7rtovj.png

rGtpH9p.png

McxsRWH.png

otGmb8A.png

Ek4QNkb.png

WvdItbg.png

Housekeeping:

The thread will be updated accordingly, and I will link a review thread when it becomes available for non-spoiler/tagged discussion.

UNMARKED SPOILERS ARE LIVE.

It's up to each of you to follow the guidelines set, but be aware that spoilers will be of abundance as the movie releases throughout next week.

Links:
Infinity War Reviews Thread
Social Media Impressions Thread
Marvel Cinematic Universe Community Thread
Infinity War YouTube Playlist
More MCU Exchange Supercuts - If you liked the Road to Infinity War video, here are their other ones
Marvel.com Infinity War Page
IMDB Infinity War Page

Last edited:

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for the spectacle, but I wish I cared more about these characters.

Despite numerous films, I just don't feel much of an attachment to anyone, and I still think Thanos is such a hugely missed opportunity in that he could've been more fleshed out by now as this villain that makes you want to hate him and for the heroes to win, but it just instead feels like I'm supposed to not like him because he's the bad guy.

I get most of the films having standalone stories; I'm even fine with it. I just think that considering how many of them there are, that there's been a severe lack of character development outside of maybe Tony Stark, and that's pretty surface level at the most. I really like most of these movies, but they've failed to get to me on an emotional level, therefore I'm personally not really feeling the stakes here. Even Black Panther, which I really liked, didn't make me care that much about T'Challa, and I didn't think it developed him at all, whatsoever, despite a 2+ hour run time. I don't feel like I know any more about him than I already did.

I hope this film changes my mind, and creating a cinematic universe is tricky and a huge endeavor so I'm not trying to be too hard on it, but again these movies so far have just lacked any real emotional heft at least in regards to Thanos; just in that there's literally no developed conflict between him and the Avengers. I like most of the characters enough, but only a handful of the MCU entries have really impressed me, and those include Winter Soldier, Civil War, Guardians vol. 1 and Ragnarok-- which was finally a really good Thor movie, but one that still didn't quite make me give that much of a shit about him.

So yeah. Here's hoping. I love that they're doing this and it's insanely impressive, but at the same time I'm still having a hard time feeling a lot of it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Got my tickets. Been slowly going through my rewatch of all the movies.

Hope Black Panther's digital release drops on Tuesday.

I can not wait.

YfTLfCQ.jpg

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for the spectacle, but I wish I cared more about these characters.

Despite numerous films, I just don't feel much of an attachment to anyone, and I still think Thanos is such a hugely missed opportunity in that he could've been more fleshed out by now as this villain that makes you want to hate him and for the heroes to win, but it just instead feels like I'm supposed to not like him because he's the bad guy.

I get most of the films having standalone stories; I'm even fine with it. I just think that considering how many of them there are, that there's been a severe lack of character development outside of maybe Tony Stark, and that's pretty surface level at the most. I really like most of these movies, but they've failed to get to me on an emotional level, therefore I'm personally not really feeling the stakes here. Even Black Panther, which I really liked, didn't make me care that much about T'Challa, and I didn't think it developed him at all, whatsoever, despite a 2+ hour run time. I don't feel like I know any more about him than I already did.

I hope this film changes my mind, and creating a cinematic universe is tricky and a huge endeavor so I'm not trying to be too hard on it, but again these movies so far have just lacked any real emotional heft at least in regards to Thanos; just in that there's literally no developed conflict between him and the Avengers. I like most of the characters enough, but only a handful of the MCU entries have really impressed me, and those include Winter Soldier, Civil War, Guardians vol. 1 and Ragnarok-- which was finally a really good Thor movie, but one that still didn't quite make me give that much of a shit about him.

So yeah. Here's hoping. I love that they're doing this and it's insanely impressive, but at the same time I'm still having a hard time feeling a lot of it.

On one hand, yeah, they could have built up Thanos more.

On the other hand, making Guardians 2 or Thor 3 about building up Thanos wouldn't have given us Guardians 2 or Thor 3.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, yeah, they could have built up Thanos more.

On the other hand, making Guardians 2 or Thor 3 about building up Thanos wouldn't have given us Guardians 2 or Thor 3.

I'm saying that there are... how many of these movies? I don't think it should have fallen on a select few to build or develop things more, but as an overall effort.

I dunno. And Thanos aside, we have an entire Thor trilogy that hasn't really did much in terms of developing that character, which I also find very problematic-- and I feel this way about much of this series of films. Guardians vol. 1 did a pretty decent job regarding some development and charm, and a handful of other instances across the MCU, but I just think it could've been a lot stronger than it is.

Even Age of Ultron which people give shit to had stuff like Hawkguy's family farm house which for me made me feel more relatable to him than just about anything else in any of these movies.

Anyway, not here to crash the parade. I'm excited to see the movie. I just wish I felt more for it. I feel like if any of the characters die in this I won't really feel much and I kinda find myself hoping that Tony Stark bites it lol.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that there are... how many of these movies? I don't think it should have fallen on a select few to build or develop things more, but as an overall effort.

I dunno. And Thanos aside, we have an entire Thor trilogy that hasn't really did much in terms of developing that character, which I also find very problematic-- and I feel this way about much of this series of films. Guardians vol. 1 did a pretty decent job regarding some development and charm, and a handful of other instances across the MCU, but I just think it could've been a lot stronger than it is.

Even Age of Ultron which people give shit to had stuff like Hawkguy's family farm house which for me made me feel more relatable to him than just about anything else in any of these movies.

Anyway, not here to crash the parade. I'm excited to see the movie. I just wish I felt more for it. I feel like if any of the characters die in this I won't really feel much and I kinda find myself hoping that Tony Stark bites it lol.
How you can watch Thor 1 and then Thor 3 and say there has been no character development says more about you then the movies.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
How you can watch Thor 1 and then Thor 3 and say there has been no character development says more about you then the movies.

Can you elaborate? Maybe I'm just missing something, but for a series where there are now three films, no, I don't feel like he has been developed that much.

I don't dislike them. Thor 1 was pretty fun, Ragnarok was really damn good and unique. Didn't care for The Dark World. I just think if you have three films, an entire trilogy so far, that there could've been a lot more depth. I don't think Thor has changed or developed that much. To me they're just fun but kinda throwaway. I wish I felt differently.

I liked Civil War a lot because it forced the characters to butt heads over the issues plaguing them; namely Rogers and Stark. But that's really about it. That felt like it had actual emotional heft and conflict between the characters.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate? Maybe I'm just missing something, but for a series where there are now three films, no, I don't feel like he has been developed that much.

I don't dislike them. Thor 1 was pretty fun, Ragnarok was really damn good and unique. Didn't care for The Dark World. I just think if you have three films, an entire trilogy so far, that there could've been a lot more depth. I don't think Thor has changed or developed that much. To me they're just fun but kinda throwaway. I wish I felt differently.

I liked Civil War a lot because it forced the characters to butt heads over the issues plaguing them; namely Rogers and Stark. But that's really about it. That felt like it had actual emotional heft and conflict between the characters.
Lol. Is this a joke?

In the first film he decides he's not ready to be king and isn't even thinking of Asgard, and you honestly think he's the same at the end of Ragnarok?

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Is this a joke?

In the first film he decides he's not ready to be king and isn't even thinking of Asgard, and you honestly think he's the same at the end of Ragnarok?

Well, I'm certainly not here for insults, so maybe I'm stepping out of bounds by expressing concern.

I can see what you're referring to. I just think that with an entire trilogy of films so far that they haven't really did enough in the way of interesting development for him.

But carry on.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to remember to hide this thread from Wednesday 4/25 to until I see the movie on Thursday 4/26, because I know myself and how I'll accidentally click the thread and see something about Red Skull and Agent Coulson being in a credits scene or something before realizing too late what I did.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
God I am so ready, some one freeze me please.

My circle of friends finished our re-watch of all the MCU movies tonight too, so we're all refreshed and our hype at maximum levels.

I'm ready to see Thanos wreck shit.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A finale isn't something someone usually thinks of when reshaping the Marvel Universe.

Although I will admit, this thread does make me smile.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm certainly not here for insults, so maybe I'm stepping out of bounds by expressing concern.

I can see what you're referring to. I just think that with an entire trilogy of films so far that they haven't really did enough in the way of interesting development for him.

But carry on.

Where's the insult?

In the first movie he's all "I'm mighty hammer man who deserves to be king" in the beginning, then throughout the movie he learns humility and weakness. In the second he decides that he is not fit to be a king. In the third, he goes from rogue to accepting that he must be king and atone for his father's sins. That's more development than any character in the series except for Tony.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the insult?

In the first movie he's all "I'm mighty hammer man who deserves to be king" in the beginning, then throughout the movie he learns humility and weakness. In the second he decides that he is not fit to be a king. In the third, he goes from rogue to accepting that he must be king and atone for his father's sins. That's more development than any character in the series except for Tony.

"Is this a joke?" felt like an insult to me, as if I didn't understand the very bare bones story.

Anyway, sure, that's legit. Again, I just think with three entire films it feels shallow. I dunno.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Is this a joke?" felt like an insult to me, as if I didn't understand the very bare bones story.

Anyway, sure, that's legit. Again, I just think with three entire films it feels shallow. I dunno.
I was asking if you are joking, not saying you are a joke. Maybe consider stepping away a bit if you consider that a personal attack? Not trying to tell you how to feel here, but that wasn't about you on any personal level.

And the reason I asked that is because it couldn't be more obvious to me that Thor changed a lot over the course of the three films (and more, if you include the Avengers films). You've got a guy who as a kid says he wants to "slay them all," gets banished and goes on a sojourn, falls for a mortal whom he initially doesn't believe measures up to his own people, defends the species whose King just tried to assassinate his father from his brother who he initially agreed with, gives up the throne because he doesn't think he's good enough, goes rogue to try and save his gf's life and even joins forces with his criminal brother, gives up being on Asgard to be with someone he loves, sees his brother fall, rise, and then impersonate his father, and that's not even getting into Ragnarok. The character might not broadcast everything like some of the MCU heroes, but saying "we have an entire Thor trilogy that hasn't really did much in terms of developing that character" is just a straight up falsehood. And if you can't see that, that's just on you. "Feels shallow" doesn't counter the laundry list of things Thor has done or said that changes from film to film, or even within a film.

So yeah, I wanted to know if you were joking, like the good old Thor 2 joke.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you want to listen to a track that is in the movie already, go listen here:

It's being played inside the Milano when we first see the Guardians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.