• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Vision's death was obviously inevitable but they really overestimated how much the audience cares about his relationship with Wanda. Some of that stuff could have been trimmed down to fit more Cap stuff in or something else.

Many people care about their relationship. It's one of the most important in Marvel.

Why wouldn't korg be dead. The beginning of the film, remember?

Because they would have shown him dead.

Him and Valkyrie are 100% alive. They weren't in the movie and they made a point to say half of the Asgardians were killed.

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I've aired some of my disappointments regarding fake outs and death, and I stand by them for now. Looking forward to having my mind changed by time, discussion, or the next film, but now I'll get on to some other subjects.

There was definitely a flame of excitement that lit up in me when I realized I was seeing Spider-Man take on extra terrestrial threats for the first time on screen. It's such a change of pace compared to his past movies and a good example of how this universe is truly opening up and giving us exciting new possibilities. That whole action scene in New York may have been my favorite part of the film

The iron spider suit was pretty fantastic, visually. Also a fresh angle on Spider-Man , compared to his past films. However, I was a little confused at how easily and quickly he was able to decipher and take advantage of all the suits capabilities in battle. I didn't want a ten minute Iron-Spider tutorial scene, but I couldn't help but wonder.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, complete tinfoil here, but it was late while I was watching the movie, so maybe my mind was in a weird place.

Did anyone else catch Spidey's first line when he joined the fight in New York with Tony. Tony was about to be crushed by that cool anchor weapon the big bad used, and Spidey caught it. Tony said "Where'd you come from, kid?" And Spidey answered "the future."

I thought it was maybe like a BttF reference or something, but it set me up for time fuckery to happen all movie. I'm still hung up on it, wondering if we just watched some time fuckery happen, and they did it right under our nose. Like movie two will show things that recontextualize enormous parts of the first movie. I kept thinking about how we had two major groups of characters, mostly acting independently, with very few people crossing from one to the other, and vague space travel times.

Maybe I've just been watching too much Westworld, but I can't help but wonder if something was going on there.

Or I misheard Spidey's line.
The line was "field trip".

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
cb8ed737ed584d40ddf0a487cb4634df.gif

Jokergrin

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Cap was pretty sidelined in this, which I'm okay with. I just hope we get a lot more epic shit with him in the next one.

At least he got that one moment with Thanos though

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
So why did Strange give up the stone? Was it really just so Tony would live? Or was the only one way they could win out of millions of scenarios was if Strange actually gave him the stone?

I interpreted it as him lying about the "one" way to victory. Meaning, there was no future that possibly avoided Thanos getting all the stones and wiping out half of all life. But he knew that the world would need Tony so he gave the stone willingly to ensure that he would at least survive.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Rhodes calling Ross out for his bullshit about Cap and regretting the accords is the kind of development I want to see.

Tony realizing Pete isn't going to just go home and watch the world end, and then his mentee dies in his arms is the kind of development I want to see.

I don't think non comic book readers realize that comic books have deaths and reversals all the time. It doesn't mean they have no meaning or stakes. It doesn't mean there's no consequences.

They serve more as motivation and characterization than anything in the Marvel Universe.

But it doesn't mean the survivors don't remember.

Last edited:

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Thanks for replying. I answered with bolded txt.

No prob.

My point isn't about winning later. It's about how they lose right now.

Yes, and how they lose is an admittedly valiant and quasi-successful manner (wiping out the Black Order, almost overpowering Thanos) followed by complete and utter defeat.

Tony dying in his battle with Thanos would have been much more powerful, and made predicting future events more difficult.

No one in the audience cares about future events. This is mostly Marvel's fault for prepping you into thinking "oh I wonder what Thor Ragnarok is about" like 3 years before it comes out, and their platter of end-credits "ooooh look who's coming next year!", but the point of Infinity War is about what happens in Infinity War and before. People are sad because in Infinity War these heroes die in this way. Avengers 4 does not exist. Hell, movies, as a concept, are irrelevant, because Infinity War and the 10 years of MCU have them so immersed, that it's like people they know actually died.

And no, Tony dying wouldn't be more powerful--there's a reason why Peter Parker, young, teenage Spider-Man dying in Tony's arms, begging not to die as he's erased from existence is the biggest, saddest death scene, because he doesn't die like a hero, he dies like a kid. Tony dying like a hero is expected, in fact, because of the fact we had three Iron Man movies we thought he'd die anyway. But he doesn't. Everyone else dies. And now we get to see the first first Avenger handle something like that, which is much more impactful than pretty much tossing him aside. If he died here, he certainly isn't coming back later.

It would have made a great developmental plot point for Peter to lose a second "uncle".

Since we didn't properly see him losing the first uncle, it's just rehashing what we already know about Peter Parker, and it won't really change anything about him. Frankly, let's not make Tony Stark anymore important to the Spider-Man mythos than he already is in the movies. He makes his suit, mentors him, etc.

Then the audience isn't paying attention. It's also spelled out by Strange.

They are paying attention. They don't care. Because they aren't watching Avengers 4, they're watching Infinity War, and again, they lose and die.

The film took the easy way out to giving us the finger snap outcome.

Do you really think they should do the "cut to black" bullshit, breaking the immersion, turning every conversation into "wait, what happened and who died?", and forcing Avengers 4 to waste time naming everyone who died, which if it's still going to play out the same means that Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc. still died and would be even less believable because we didn't see it, instead of getting to the point, so that the idea that the heroes come back isn't immediately obvious?

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also I was dying at spidey going at Thanos using Strange's portals

"magic. magic. magic with a kick." or whatever it was. soooogood.gif

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
When Thanos used the reality stone to pull some crazy japanese body horror stuff on Drax and Mantis, I thought that FOR SURE they were dead, it was such a cool moment. Thanos had just smoked these dudes in a second.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad you disagree, but your assessment that I've being "nit picky for the sake of it" is presumptuous, and wrong, frankly.

I'm just sharing my opinion and backing it up with my reasoning, in order to prompt discussion and see if others agree or can change my mind. And I think I have some good points.

The eye is a cool reference. To me, that doesn't outweigh the lack of follow-up on interesting developments. It's more like throwing us a small bone after killing the sense of forward momentum.
I am sharing mine to because these are all opinions and again my opinion that you are being nitpicky isn't wrong though, it feels like that's exactly what it is with the points you picked out. I thought it was very well handled and with full idea of what the consequences will be is unknown but I thought this movie handled it superbly.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, basically Dr. Strange knew that they had to lose in A3 with Tony left alive-so that he could do his thing in A4 and save everyone. Which meant he knew he had to be killed as well. Heady stuff.

I wish I could see a clip again of that Dr. Strange/Thanos fight because that was incredible.

There is something really great about the scene where Strange transforms one attack into something harmless and Thanos reacts so realistically, it's those small moments that really make him believable.

Q3qk3X8.gif

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
*snap* and black screen, credits, then the disappearing scenes and the post-credit scene tacked on at the end. That would have had people leaving the theater in shambles.

No one will wait through seven-minutes of credits to see how the movie ends.

That's longer than the actual death scenes in the first place.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I interpreted it as him lying about the "one" way to victory. Meaning, there was no future that possibly avoided Thanos getting all the stones and wiping out half of all life. But he knew that the world would need Tony so he gave the stone willingly to ensure that he would at least survive.
Strange knows the snap will happen, he's playing the long game victory.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Stormbreaker is OP as fuck. Thanos fires off the combined power of all six stones at Thor, and the axe just cuts right through all of it.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Still digesting my thoughts on this but I think what most surprised me was the degree to which they did successfully convey the stones having "different powers" onscreen. The only time where it felt a bit generic was the final punchup, where it looked like he was using "blue and purple blasts" indiscriminately, otherwise it was like "oh reality stone does this, space stone does that, yeah it all tracks"

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Rhodes calling Ross out for his bullshit about Cap and regretting the accords is the kind of development I want to see.

Tony realizing Pete isn't going to just go home and watch the world end, and then his mentee dies in his arms is the kind of development I want to see.

I dddon think non comic book readers realize that comic books have deaths and reversals all the time. It doesn't mean they have no meaning or stakes. It doesn't mean there's no consequences.

They serve more as motivation and characterization than anything in the Marvel Universe.

But it doesn't mean the survivors don't remember.

If the deaths all get overturned it doesn't change how damn dark this movie felt and it doesn't change Tony Stark watching Peter die in his arms.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this earlier today, and I loved it overall. Though I can understand some of the issues people are seeing with the film. However, I personally feel many of these will be alleviated with more understanding and the events in the sequel.

Regarding the deaths in this, I too was a little dissatisfied with how it was only the new Avengers dying. However after giving it some thought, I think it makes a lot of sense. This film was all about Thanos, he arrives, fucks shit up, and wins, it was all about him and his development, and the heroes were just . The original Avengers are in an even worse place than where they were at the beginning of the film, they are divided, many of their friends are dead, their legacy is destroyed. Thor in particular even mentions early on how he has nothing to lose, well it turns out he had a lot more to lose. They also have no one to pass their legacy onto. They all utterly failed and have to deal with that loss in the sequel. "There was an idea—Stark knows this—called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To fight the battles that we never could." They lost because the team was still broken.

Whilst this film was a Thanos movie, I think the sequel will focus on the core Avengers again ("perfectly balanced" you might say). Anyway, I think it will all be out the original team overcoming their loss from Infinity War, coming back together and uniting to become something more, however they will end up making their sacrifice to undo the snap. Had they died in this film, I think they would have come back anyway for the sequel to possibly die again, which would have felt a little clumsy and cheap. I would bet they end up using this scene somehow as well:

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Unfortunately some idiots at my theater couldn't stop giggling at him.

Annoying.

Slightly related but when Thanos turned Mantis into a squiggly piece of rubber, the guy next to me blew out a chuckle, which
threw a wrench in the horror I felt.
I couldn't blame him, it seemed like a natural reaction, but it was the opposite of where I was at. Disturbing stuff. Honestly wish it would have remained that way for Mantis. I like being creeped out.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not supposed to be "incredible" though. They all die confused and scared. There's nothing you can do about half the universe at random turning into ash. That's the point.

They do let us "live in this moment". No music. Heroes die suddenly and without warning. No jokes. No epic speech of how they'll survive. Just an "oh god, we're fucked".
Yep. The entire time after the snap where people are dusting has them looking around scared as shit. They have no idea what's happening. It was a realization moment for all of them: "This is way, way bigger than we ever imagined."

Especially when you think they had started to turn the tide of that battle, particularly when Thor showed up. Two of Thanos' main guardians died to Black Widow/Okoye/Scarlet Witch and Banner in the Hulkbuster, Thor destroyed multiple ships, Cap and BP were destroying folks, etc. Then that moment of dread when Thanos arrives and it's practically silent. Then each of them are just shrugged off one by one with seemingly little effort by Thanos. Thor looks like he swoops in and saves the day, they're excited! It happened! Then the snap, and... oh shit. The smallest spark of hope wasn't just snuffed out, it was obliterated, and multiple friends/heroes literally disintegrate in front of them. Thanos doesn't even stay to gloat, he just peaces the fuck out because overall, they really don't matter to him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Still digesting my thoughts on this but I think what most surprised me was the degree to which they did successfully convey the stones having "different powers" onscreen. The only time where it felt a bit generic was the final punchup, where it looked like he was using "blue and purple blasts" indiscriminately, otherwise it was like "oh reality stone does this, space stone does that, yeah it all tracks"
The balancing act on this movie is ridiculous. So many characters, so many relationships and backstories, 6 stones with separate abilities + introducing Thanos and his whole mission on top of all that. That they were able to pull this all off in one movie is crazy.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, the movie was crazy. It was funny, sad, thrilling, had good action, a great villain, and I immediately want to see more. Hopefully they bump up the release date like this one because it'll be a long wait.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this movie was the final nail in the coffin for me. I've switched sides. #TeamIronMan

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out...what if they go to the one man whose already kind of dead? The one man who deals with the half living regularly and feels it's time to step out of the dark to help these "Avengers" for once.
giphy.gif

"Who, me?"

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also Civil War started this thought for me but I think now we can all agree that the Russo Brothers use superhero powers better than anything else I've ever seen in a comic book movie. the way they hone in on each characters' individual powers and find cool ways to do different things with them and then also combine different characters' powers together is just amazing.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, this movie was the final nail in the coffin for me. I've switched sides. #TeamIronMan

He had his moments for sure, but let's remember it's his choices that led to a kid dying.

(I mean sort of. I just am super team-cap, Iron Man was great in this)

I loved Strange going back on his word that he'd choose the stone over Stark or Peter though

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that and thought "Someone on the interwebs will complain about this".

The 'girl fight' moment didn't bother me, but it did strike me as antiquated when I was watching the movie.

I'm sure they did it to highlight the female heroes, but it still stuck out. Those characters don't team up and fight because of some power synergy, it's just the female characters vs. the female villain trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.