• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is something really great about the scene where Strange transforms one attack into something harmless and Thanos reacts so realistically, it's those small moments that really make him believable.

Q3qk3X8.gif
After how phase 1-2 Marvel got a whole bunch of flack that they don't feel very "cinematic" as far as framing go, they've stepped it up big-time in phase 3. Guardians 2 and Thor Ragnarok were amazing with their cinematography and Infinity War is no exception.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also Civil War started this thought for me but I think now we can all agree that the Russo Brothers use superhero powers better than anything else I've ever seen in a comic book movie. the way they hone in on each characters' individual powers and find cool ways to do different things with them and then also combine different characters' powers together is just amazing.

Groot is Thor's hammer.

That moment was a legit "...That's good son" for me.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Except for the emotional impact it's going to have on the characters for the next movie and how they might feel traumatized coming back after experiencing death, right?
Almost positive the time infinity stone will be used so they most likely won't remember anything. Dr strange already seen all the possible outcomes and he said exactly 3 times that he had to give the stone to thanos because it was "the only way".

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome fucking movie. How long until Era hates it?

I give it 7 months.

The 'girl fight' moment didn't bother me, but it did strike me as antiquated when I was watching the movie.

I'm sure they did it to highlight the female heroes, but it still stuck out. Those characters don't team up and fight because of some power synergy, it's just the female characters vs. the female villain trope.

But this movie is all about characters who otherwise wouldn't meet teaming up and wrecking shit.

Thor+Groot
Dr. Strange+Iron Man

Why is Okoye and Black Widow offensive?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Cap was pretty sidelined in this, which I'm okay with. I just hope we get a lot more epic shit with him in the next one.

At least he got that one moment with Thanos though

Also his intimidating as fuck entrance, manhandling Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive with Widow and Falcon (two of the other "non-powered" or "just human" characters).

I also really liked the moments of him catching up to BP running and introducing himself to Groot.

That said yeah more Cap in Avengers 4 please.

*snap* and black screen, credits, then the disappearing scenes and the post-credit scene tacked on at the end. That would have had people leaving the theater in shambles.

People were, are, and will be leaving the theater in shambles. They made the right decisions in how they show the deaths.

There is something really great about the scene where Strange transforms one attack into something harmless and Thanos reacts so realistically, it's those small moments that really make him believable.

Q3qk3X8.gif

Perfect moment, just great spectacle and on point for both characters.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking adored the plain white text over black background credits after all of the bombastic and stylish MCU credits up until now.

And THANOS WILL RETURN.

My theatre was dead fucking silent.

Perfection.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also also for those complaining about how little Cap we got I'm not trying to just handwave away that criticism from this movie in particular, it is a legitimate criticism, but my advice is to just hold tight, trust the russos, and wait for the next movie. remember the stark cap moments from Civil War? well surprise surprise the gang's gonna have to team up one last time to make things right and I would have no problem betting that we're gonna get some poignant moments between those two characters. Cap will get his time to shine and it will be glorious. feel free to bookmark and @ me after the next movie if that doesn't come to fruition. I'll buy you a gift card or something lol. ok I won't but feel free to @ me and bitch at me.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The balancing act on this movie is ridiculous. So many characters, so many relationships and backstories, 6 stones with separate abilities + introducing Thanos and his whole mission on top of all that. That they were able to pull this all off in one movie is crazy.

also Civil War started this thought for me but I think now we can all agree that the Russo Brothers use superhero powers better than anything else I've ever seen in a comic book movie. the way they hone in on each characters' individual powers and find cool ways to do different things with them and then also combine different characters' powers together is just amazing.

The way they track the effect everything is having on the larger fights as a whole and how terrain is affected and everything might be the actual biggest accomplishment of this movie. This is the most its ever felt like a bunch of superheroes were actually fighting with diverse powers in the same space and not just sort of engaged in parallel fights that don't intersect

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WAIT GUYS, WITH TIME TRAVEL CAN WE AGENTS OF ATLAS.

AND THEN INSTEAD OF OLD COMIC HEROES, IT CAN BE WEIRD REFERENCES TO OLD MARVEL MOVIES.

JUST GIVE ME AGENTS OF ATLAS.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My entire theatre was leaving the screening in shambles.

Quite a few people in my screening were pissed.

Whatever.

This really is the first Marvel film to give us some real and profound stakes. Regardless of who returns later (and I hope at least some stay dead) there was meaning in their deaths at the conclusion of this film.

That Parker scene where he tells Tony he doesn't want to go wrenched my insides, and I know damn well he's coming back.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way they track the effect everything is having on the larger fights as a whole and how terrain is affected and everything might be the actual biggest accomplishment of this movie. This is the most its ever felt like a bunch of superheroes were actually fighting with diverse powers in the same space and not just sort of engaged in parallel fights that don't intersect

I don't know. Remember when Cyborg threw Aquaman? That was a scene.

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
I loved every second of it. I never thought I would see a huge crossover comic event done well on screen but there it was. Makes me think they could pull off a Secret Wars film if they want to.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
But this movie is all about characters who otherwise wouldn't meet teaming up and wrecking shit.

Thor+Groot
Dr. Strange+Iron Man

It's the eye-raising notice that the female heroes fight the (only) female villain.

I don't find it offensive, but it's one of those things that are fine in isolation but something a little more sinister in the grand scheme of things.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My one real complaint about Infinity War; it felt like they spent their CGI budget on Thanos + all the special effects and costumes, before getting to Proxima Midnight and realizing they only had like $5 left to work with.

She looked awful. They should've just cast a woman to play her with makeup and prosthetics.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I fucking adored the plain white text over black background credits after all of the bombastic and stylish MCU credits up until now.

And THANOS WILL RETURN.

My theatre was dead fucking silent.

Perfection.
I loved the THANOS WILL RETURN line in the movie.

My theater was legit shook during that moment.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
One thing, though. The reviews and early reactions had a lot or comments about "don't spoil yourself" "there's huge stuff you'll be shocked by" "they're doing something I've never seen before" or whatever. I think they almost got me over hyped. With the exception of Red Skull (which was actually sort of weird) there weren't a ton of huge shocks.

Probably because I follow this stuff too closely, though. I wanna try knowing less about Avengers 4 next year. (So please don't talk about set pics in here anymore?)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They are flatly some of the best directors of action in cinema, period.

No shaky nonsense, no quick takes and dizzying shots, just gorgeous, well-staged action sequences that balance scale with visual cohesion.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Q3qk3X8.gif

I fucking loved the duel between Strange and Thanos. Simultaneously showed how far Strange has come with his knowledge and training, while also showing just how powerful Thanos is with a nearly complete Infinity Gauntlet.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
No prob.

Yes, and how they lose is an admittedly valiant and quasi-successful manner (wiping out the Black Order, almost overpowering Thanos) followed by complete and utter defeat.

No one in the audience cares about future events. This is mostly Marvel's fault for prepping you into thinking "oh I wonder what Thor Ragnarok is about" like 3 years before it comes out, and their platter of end-credits "ooooh look who's coming next year!", but the point of Infinity War is about what happens in Infinity War and before. People are sad because in Infinity War these heroes die in this way. Avengers 4 does not exist. Hell, movies, as a concept, are irrelevant, because Infinity War and the 10 years of MCU have them so immersed, that it's like people they know actually died.

And no, Tony dying wouldn't be more powerful--there's a reason why Peter Parker, young, teenage Spider-Man dying in Tony's arms, begging not to die as he's erased from existence is the biggest, saddest death scene, because he doesn't die like a hero, he dies like a kid. Tony dying like a hero is expected, in fact, because of the fact we had three Iron Man movies we thought he'd die anyway. But he doesn't. Everyone else dies. And now we get to see the first first Avenger handle something like that, which is much more impactful than pretty much tossing him aside. If he died here, he certainly isn't coming back later.

Since we didn't properly see him losing the first uncle, it's just rehashing what we already know about Peter Parker, and it won't really change anything about him. Frankly, let's not make Tony Stark anymore important to the Spider-Man mythos than he already is in the movies. He makes his suit, mentors him, etc.

They are paying attention. They don't care. Because they aren't watching Avengers 4, they're watching Infinity War, and again, they lose and die.

Do you really think they should do the "cut to black" bullshit, breaking the immersion, turning every conversation into "wait, what happened and who died?", and forcing Avengers 4 to waste time naming everyone who died, which if it's still going to play out the same means that Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc. still died and would be even less believable because we didn't see it, instead of getting to the point, so that the idea that the heroes come back isn't immediately obvious?
Whoa whoa. Where did I ever elude to wanting a cheap ass cut to black? I LOVE that it happened. I love that it shows many heroes vanish. I HATE how telegraphed the future was by the ones chosen to turn to sand.

We can part ways on the rest of our opinion. But I will say, PLENTY of geeks ARE in the audience that absolutely care how things in this film are handled with respect to how we expect future MCU films will play out. You're arguing with one, haha.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also also for those complaining about how little Cap we got I'm not trying to just handwave away that criticism from this movie in particular, it is a legitimate criticism, but my advice is to just hold tight, trust the russos, and wait for the next movie. remember the stark cap moments from Civil War? well surprise surprise the gang's gonna have to team up one last time to make things right and I would have no problem betting that we're gonna get some poignant moments between those two characters. Cap will get his time to shine and it will be glorious. feel free to bookmark and @ me after the next movie if that doesn't come to fruition. I'll buy you a gift ward or something lol. ok I won't but feel free to @ me and bitch at me.

Yeah they were clearly playing with other heroes that haven't gotten too much time with, after having help form Cap to audiences. Next movie will pay off that.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are flatly some of the best directors of action in cinema, period.

No shaky nonsense, no quick takes and dizzying shots, just gorgeous, well-staged action sequences that balance scale with visual cohesion.

I agree for this movie, and while Civil War is great fun, try to go back and count every damn time that screen shakes.

That movie felt like them warming up and learning for this one.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Cap will get his moments next movie. Phanphare will be vindicated. That said I love that the trailer set up that Cap would be the one giving Thanos a run for his money and Iron Man would be the one wrecked after one punch. Instead we got the absolute pinnacle of Stark technology and ingenuity, and all that for just a drop of blood. This movie, man.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Thor+Groot
Dr. Strange+Iron Man

It's not offensive. It's just having the female hero(es) handling the female villain(s) is a recognizable trope. I'm not making a judgment, just that as I was watching my reaction was "Huh".

If they had teamed up to take down a male villain, and conversely male heroes had to take down the female villain, or a mix, I wouldn't of thought about it beyond what was happening on the screen.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
"There's an Ant-Man AND a Spider-Man??"
Best running thing in the movie. It's so easy to forget that Thor and Banner basically have no clue what's changed since Ultron. Every time someone had to catch Banner up to speed, it was good.

I really didn't mind the lack of Hulk. Hulk had a movie in Ragnarok, Banner gets on here. They'll kick ass together next movie.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017

I actually felt like this movie didn't do that as well, particularly with the Wakanda fight scene. The Titan fight, I would agree, did this in a really cool way (though even that was mostly Strange using his powers with other people), but as far as the Wakanda fight went, I feel like it was mostly just "how hardcore is each of these characters individually?" with the exception of Bucky picking up Rocket.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Oh... my whole theater felt the weight of the movie, people were sad as fuck. By the end of the movie, during the credits before the after credits scene, you could hear a needle falling in the groud. People were MOURNING.

Shit was heavy.

PERFECT movie, btw.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a set pic of Chris Evans eating some M and Ms, so I think they'll play a big role in stopping Thanos.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Strange tells Tony "we're in end game" when he gives up the stone, so I'm guessing it's one of the more optimal outcomes that he needed to do so.

Doesn't make Star Lord any less of a dumbass for ruining the plan, although like I said it gave us one of the best Thanos scenes.

"All that for a drop of blood"

W H E W
star lord didnt ruin anything. Strange already knows its going to happen.

The iron spider suit was pretty fantastic, visually. Also a fresh angle on Spider-Man , compared to his past films. However, I was a little confused at how easily and quickly he was able to decipher and take advantage of all the suits capabilities in battle. I didn't want a ten minute Iron-Spider tutorial scene, but I couldn't help but wonder.

"this suit is really intuitive" isnt good enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.