• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
seeing Thor and Strange with no full control of their powers, i wondered if thanos would succeed in his quest with Odin and The Ancient One still Alive.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are flatly some of the best directors of action in cinema, period.

No shaky nonsense, no quick takes and dizzying shots, just gorgeous, well-staged action sequences that balance scale with visual cohesion.

they do the coolest shit

vision using his beam and it getting deflected into the street and fucking shit up

quill jumping on strange's magic pads

spidey using strange's magic portals

iron man's suit with all the ramming shit on thanos

each individual stone lighting up when it was being used

the reality stone stuff specifically

and on and on and on

not to mention civil war and the airport fight

spidey hitching a ride on rhodey

they just get it

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
We can part ways on opinion. But I will say, PLENTY of geeks ARE in the audience that absolutely care how things in this film are handled with respect to how we expect future MCU films will play out. You're arguing with one, haha.

Tip-toeing around and neutering their own movies so die-hard geeks (I'm part of that too) won't be as miffed on how an adaptation of a story you can read in comics, and all future works based on those comics, plays out, is a wasted effort.

They had more than succeeded in getting the audience to respond how they want, even with "obvious" and "lame" deaths.

We'll part on opinions, but I'll say again, the "they shouldn't show who dies from the snap" is absolutely stupid from a screenwriting, emotional, and narrative standpoint, and exists as a negative use of the "Rule of Cool" trope. Yeah, it'll be cool if that happens but it'll make no damn sense. It'll take you out of the film. It's for cheap suspense instead of genuine gravitas.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The fight on Titan might be the cinematic representation of superhero powers ever. That shit was nuts, and there was a lot to it. Each character had a completely different skill set, but they were all used in some way.

One thing, though. The reviews and early reactions had a lot or comments about "don't spoil yourself" "there's huge stuff you'll be shocked by" "they're doing something I've never seen before" or whatever. I think they almost got me over hyped. With the exception of Red Skull (which was actually sort of weird) there weren't a ton of huge shocks.

Probably because I follow this stuff too closely, though. I wanna try knowing less about Avengers 4 next year. (So please don't talk about set pics in here anymore?)
The Red Skull reveal was the biggest surprise for me because it's the only that never once entered my imagination as something that would happen in this movie. It also got one of the biggest reactions in my crowd. One guy in front just literally yelled "WHAT THE FUCK!"

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
also Civil War started this thought for me but I think now we can all agree that the Russo Brothers use superhero powers better than anything else I've ever seen in a comic book movie. the way they hone in on each characters' individual powers and find cool ways to do different things with them and then also combine different characters' powers together is just amazing.

The way they track the effect everything is having on the larger fights as a whole and how terrain is affected and everything might be the actual biggest accomplishment of this movie. This is the most its ever felt like a bunch of superheroes were actually fighting with diverse powers in the same space and not just sort of engaged in parallel fights that don't intersect

Amen to all this. Man I really need to see it again to refresh on all this good team-up stuff

Also how can we forget Bucky spinning around with Rocket and then the whole "How much for the arm?" bit

"There's an Ant-Man AND a Spider-Man??"

Lmao so good, that line got a big laugh in my theater

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
rich-piana.jpg

Good fucking morning Godda........I mean Destiny awaits..

But um yeah. Just watched it. Felt nothing as expected. Just burnt out on the superhero thing now.

Will say it was very well done and everybody was given decent amounts of screen time. Didn't expect strange to be Starks foil, but it kinda did work. I feel that to the casual viewer though, Dr strange had not been throughly explained enough in terms of power levels. Especially loved that the crimson bands of cytorakk made an appearance

Hulk got some serious character assassnation. How you gonna turn him into such a cowardly bitch?

Loved the new stark suit, really felt like they were finally playing with the character rather than retreading old suits.

Never understood the red skull thing. I thought he only used the tesseract?

Still hate the iron spider suit, but I'll be honest and say the original maybe wouldn't of worked as well visually.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it is simultaneously true that Strange knew, and actually relied on the fact that Starlord would flip out and ruin a plan that was working, and true that Starlord was still a fucking idiot for doing it. Strange foresaw that their only path to victory involved Starlord being a moron, but that doesn't let Starlord off the hook for being a moron.

Oct 25, 2017
That moment when Cap and Black Panther start sprinting to battle got me so hype. Lots of cool super hero moments like that in this film. I don't think they could have done much better than this. Loved it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other gauntlet we saw was this, and might be used in next movie

4I4qkUG.jpg

I'll stop my talk on future movies. Just excited cause they can literally do anything.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how. They could have killed him then and there and had the glove after. Just seemed like one of those silly parts in a movie where no one thought about the context of the scene having such an easy solution.
[SPOILER="Speculation based on IG comic and things from there this film sets up"Ni'm guessing Nebula needs to survive for them to win and whatever other action they took would result in key players, especially Nebula, being dead. As for killing Thanos and taking the gauntlet, I imagine any effort to do so would have woken him up sooner.[/SPOILER]

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Amen to all this. Man I really need to see it again to refresh on all this good team-up stuff

Also how can we forget Bucky spinning around with Rocket and then the whole "How much for the arm?" bit

"I'll get that arm..."

Hulk got some serious character assassnation. How you gonna turn him into such a cowardly bitch?

I think it makes sense. Hulk defines himself as the strongest one there is. This was the first time had lost a fight. And he lost it pretty badly.

Hulk is a child who just got his ass kicked for the first time. Of course he's scared. It's an interesting new angle for him.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure Thanos is wounded from the hit Thor got on him with the Stormbreaker? It seems to me that Thanos is in a good state and was healed by the snap.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
rich-piana.jpg

But um yeah. Just watched it. Felt nothing as expected. Just burnt out on the superhero thing now.

Will say it was very well done and everybody was given decent amounts of screen time. Didn't expect strange to be Starks foil, but it kinda did work. I feel that to the casual viewer though, Dr strange had not been throughly explained enough in terms of power levels. Especially loved that the crimson bands of cytorakk made an appearance

Loved the new stark suit, really felt like they were finally playing with the character rather than retreading old suits.

Still hate the iron spider suit, but I'll be honest and say the original maybe wouldn't of worked as well visually.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly do want them all to gather and meet Thanos next movie and he's just this peaced out Farmer who welcomes them all and offers them food and shit.

Balance was reached, he has no qualms with them

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
And of course AoS won't mention a thing

Out of all of the Marvel TV shows, AoS is certainly not the one to criticize for ignoring the films.

They heavily tied into Winter Soldier, had a meaningful tie-in to Civil War and even had an Age of Ultron tie-in that really wasn't needed at all.

They react to the films when needed. And if they are renewed, they'll react to this. I could even see one of the cast members disintegrating in the season 6 premiere.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rich-piana.jpg

If you post this man's face again, I will gather the stones and reset this era, you hear?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had sort of figured out some on-screen show of power for the Soul Stone, but maybe we'll get that in the next movie

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We can part ways on the rest of our opinion. But I will say, PLENTY of geeks ARE in the audience that absolutely care how things in this film are handled with respect to how we expect future MCU films will play out. You're arguing with one, haha.

These movies don't make billions off the backs of "die-hard geeks", they do that because they succeed and resonate with the general public. That being said, there were enough callbacks and lore references to lore bullshit that held a geek like me over, and in the end I was still swept up in the tragedy of the moment when they showed everyone disappearing. There were actually quite a few "not you too!" and cries of despair as they gradually revealed who didn't make it.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else feel the reason the Hulk won't come out is because of how hard Thanos beat his ass at the outset?

The Hulk persona seems to have a very adolescent mentality and is easily riled, becoming petulant and sullen.

Also, I loved that scene. It was a great way to demonstrate how Thanos is operating on an entirely different power level.

'Let him have his fun.'

Edit: Looks like I was beaten to the punch. :)

Hypertrooper

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else feel the reason the Hulk won't come out is because of how hard Thanos beat his ass at the outset?

The Hulk persona seems to have a very adolescent mentality and is easily riled, becoming petulant and sullen.

Also, I loved that scene. It was a great way to demonstrate how Thanos is operating on an entirely different power level.

'Let him have his fun.'
It is the reason. Did the hulk not say that he was scared? At least something similar.

Jacklw25

Apr 14, 2018
Why do the actors that play Black Panther / Spiderman HAVE to come back exactly?

Surely they can follow the Batman example that the superhero is an idea, not a person. Black Panther is just the king of Wakanda, and can be replaced by the next person in line to the throne. And maybe even Miles Morales can be the new Spider-Man?

Of course none of those things will happen, but seeing as everyone seems to have already worked out what's going to happen in A4, keeping them dead would be an incredibly ballsy move from Marvel.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

'Let him have his fun.'

Edit: Looks like I was beaten to the punch. :)
Exactly and now you know Hulk is going to have a big moment in 4.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I checked and it wasn't Weaving as Red Skull.

Didn't he have some sort of hate-boner about playing the character in The First Avenger?

Regardless, I'm glad they brought the character back.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just got back from watching it, thought it was fantastic and Thanos is great, in my top 3 marvel movies for sure. My biggest gripe with the film is the fact that Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2 and Spiderman 2 have already been confirmed so the impact of them all dying in this is pretty much gone when you know that they will be back after the next film.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Korg's going to arrive in Avengers 4 with enough pamphlets for every man, woman and child in the universe. He's going to have two times too many.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from watching it, thought it was fantastic and Thanos is great, in my top 3 marvel movies for sure. My biggest gripe with the film is the fact that Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2 and Spiderman 2 have already been confirmed so the impact of them all dying in this is pretty much gone when you know that they will be back after the next film.
I really dont get this not having an impact thing.

Mar 19, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): A pattern of incendiary generalizations about the US, account still in the junior phase.
I feel like Marvel trolled black people in this movie. Like yeah lets wipe the main character of your highest selling MCU film lol. Also the Black guy dying first.

I'm mainly salty about BP getting wiped. Jesus take Rhodes instead. This does go down as the best comic book movie of all time right now. I literally don't know how I'm even going to enjoy Antman 2.

This is the dumbest thing i've read today. As expected from an American.

Status
Not open for further replies.