• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
It's the same "issue" with Thor and, in a way, Doctor Strange. You just have to give them much bigger fish to fight on their own and introduce villains that can't be beaten by raw power in crossovers.

It's not like Thor or Danvers could beat Galactus, for example, but they could certainly kick the crap out of the Silver Surfer.

Thor hasn't been portrayed as being all that powerful so far, well up until Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Even then.....

He's shown as being no match for Hela at the end of Ragnarok. Thanos takes him out pretty easily off screen and at the end of the movie, his killing blow only manages to injure Thanos.

I also wonder if he could have defeated Surtur at the end of Ragnarok.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thor hasn't been portrayed as being all that powerful so far, well up until Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Even then.....

He's shown as being no match for Hela at the end of Ragnarok. Thanos takes him out pretty easily off screen and at the end of the movie, his killing blow only manages to injure Thanos.

Well yeah, of course he couldn't beat Hela - as the rightful heir of Asgard, she inherited the Odinforce (or as the movie explained it, she grew stronger as she drew power from Asgard).

It's pretty obvious why Thor lost to Thanos, too - he couldn't use his power. Lightning inside a spaceship is a terrible idea, moreso when you're trying to protect your people and he didn't have a proper weapon either. Physically Thor is roughly equal to Hulk in raw strength, and we know how that turned out, but it's his powers as the God of Thunder that set him apart.

We saw what happened to Thanos once Thor was able to use his lightning after all and nothing indicates Stormbreaker did any more than allow Thor to channel his power as Mjolnir did.

Right now Thor is the most powerful character in the MCU and Captain Marvel is meant to be even stronger, which is super exciting.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Even then.....

Thor with Stormbreaker manages to over power a Thanos who has the full power of the Infinity Gauntlet behind him.

He's pretty powerful right now.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I watched it twice at home on my home theater. I think Thanos CGI (everything) on Titan is probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen on screen. The lighting, facial details, overall clarity in 4K is fucking spectacular. Like when he's shit talking with stark before he stabs him it's flat out incredible.

I agree. It looks great. It's just a shame it's not really 4k.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, of course he couldn't beat Hela - as the rightful heir of Asgard, she inherited the Odinforce (or as the movie explained it, she grew stronger as she drew power from Asgard).

It's pretty obvious why Thor lost to Thanos, too - he couldn't use his power. Lightning inside a spaceship is a terrible idea, moreso when you're trying to protect your people and he didn't have a proper weapon either. Physically Thor is roughly equal to Hulk in raw strength, and we know how that turned out, but it's his powers as the God of Thunder that set him apart.

We saw what happened to Thanos once Thor was able to use his lightning after all and nothing indicates Stormbreaker did any more than allow Thor to channel his power as Mjolnir did.

Right now Thor is the most powerful character in the MCU and Captain Marvel is meant to be even stronger, which is super exciting.

That's the thing that people need to realize. Stormbreaker is a conduit from which Thor channels his power.

And now He's the All-Father as well since Odin is dead. This right here makes him far more powerful than Thanos minus the gauntlet of course.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Thor at this point is easily more powerful than Thanos without the Gauntlet and potentially more powerful than Thanos with all of the Infinity Stones. Stormbreaker channels his power a ton and grants him access to the bifrost, plus Thor should have the Odinforce now since Hela is gone.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing that people need to realize. Stormbreaker is a conduit from which Thor channels his power.

And now He's the All-Father as well since Odin is dead. This right here makes him far more powerful than Thanos minus the gauntlet of course.

Of course. This is King Thor we're talking about, so he has all his own power (which Odin claimed as stronger than his own, fitting the Norse myths) plus all of the Odinforce.

I'd even argue he has more raw power than the Infinity Gauntlet, but its hax is way beyond anything he can do.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thor at this point is easily more powerful than Thanos without the Gauntlet and potentially more powerful than Thanos with all of the Infinity Stones. Stormbreaker channels his power a ton and grants him access to the bifrost, plus Thor should have the Odinforce now since Hela is gone.
He's not more powerful than Thanos with gauntlet. His control over bifrost nullifies the Space stone somewhat but the other stones simply make Thanos something else entirely.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thor without Stormbreaker is weaker than Thanos without gauntlet tho

Again, he couldn't fight properly. How can he summon lightning inside a metal spaceship? He didn't do it in the Helicarrier when he was fighting Hulk for much the same reason - he'd kill innocent people.

We saw what Thor's lightning did to Thanos and that was all Thor, not the Stormbreaker. That's just a weapon capable of channeling his power after all.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
He's not more powerful than Thanos with gauntlet. His control over bifrost nullifies the Space stone somewhat but the other stones simply make Thanos something else entirely.
He throws Stormbreaker right through Thanos's 6 stone kamehameha at the end of the movie like it was nothing.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He throws Stormbreaker right through Thanos's 6 stone kamehameha at the end of the movie like it was nothing.

True. But Thanos has not uses his powers to his fullest. He's been having "fun". He could easily use the power stone to kill Thor.
I think he didn't expect Thor to be that strong.

Thor is clearly the most powerful person we have seen so far.

But Thanos is merely playing because what he really wants to do is kill people using the snap and take the decision of killing out of it.

He could have easily come to Wakanda, use the reality stone to make sure they sont suspect anything and then use the power stone and destroy everyone But he doesn't want to do that because of his devotion to balance. He's held back in every fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Well this has supplanted frozen as my three year old daughter's favorite movie. She watched it 3 times between Saturday and Sunday and wanted it again this morning before school.

She loves "hulkie" and keeps pestering me as to where he went after the intro.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Side note - poor Hulk. Gets taken to school by Thanos who doesn't even bother using the power stone and then Thor leaps past him on the power level tier list

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this has supplanted frozen as my three year old daughter's favorite movie. She watched it 3 times between Saturday and Sunday and wanted it again this morning before school.

She loves "hulkie" and keeps pestering me as to where he went after the intro.

Hmm, I wanted to let my three year old watch but IMO Marvel movies are too violent for that age

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hulk can still beat Thor without stormbreaker though

Yeah, I don't think so. Thor showed in Ragnarok how he was way out of Hulk's league, which was hard to argue against even back in the first Avengers movie since Thor was holding back against Hulk and still knocked him around a lot while clearly enjoying it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
People saying Thor is more powerful than Thanos when Thanos swats him aside at the start of the film...

Mjolnir channels Thor's power. Stormbreaker is different.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I wanted to let my three year old watch but IMO Marvel movies are too violent for that age

Yeah if it was just her she wouldnt have seen it, but having a 7 year old sibling means that movies watched at home she'll be exposed to, so she's seen bits of other marvel, sw, lotr and the like to no Ill effect. Ymmv, as with all parenting, we are probably more lenient about those things than many but our kids thus far are well behaved outside of the usual issue here and there.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Thor is more powerful than Thanos when Thanos swats him aside at the start of the film...

Stormbreaker is no different to Mjolnir except it's an axe that can open the Bifrost. They're both made of the same near-indestructible metal that only an Asgardian god could break.

Nothing Thor does in Infinity War is different to what he did at the end of Ragnarok. Heck, the thunderbolt in Infinity War is actually smaller than the one he summons in Ragnarok.

The only reason Thor couldn't beat Thanos aboard the spaceship is because he couldn't summon lightning without killing everyone on it, since metal conducts and all that, and he didn't have a weapon like Mjolnir or Stormbreaker to channel his power.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty clear who won.

Man, re watching this, is Dinklage's performance the most phoned in thing in forevor or what? Feels like he's doing a parody of his own Tyrion performance. Woof

There's an amazing bit in one of the extra features where Dinklage is surrounded by tiny cardboard cutouts of Thor, Rocket, and Groot to play against. He looks up at the camera and says "Here comes some bad acting".

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Hulk, Thor, and Thanos have all clearly ascended into the "Whoever the writer feels like" tier, if a 6-stone IG wielder getting punked wasn't hint enough. You might as well try to do the astrophysics on how all of the Infinity Stones of an entire universe ended up in a single galaxy.

But if you think Hulk ain't taking back that power throne in the next Avengers, you crazy. He's been getting Worfed way too hard these last few movies.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty clear who won.

Man, re watching this, is Dinklage's performance the most phoned in thing in forevor or what? Feels like he's doing a parody of his own Tyrion performance. Woof

I'm amazed at how inauthentic his English accent continues to be. He's been doing Game of Thrones for almost a decade.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
As awesome as stormbreaker is, for some reason the part on that planet is the only part of the film where I feel it loses a little momentum, but that's a nitpick at best.
These parts were super interesting to me. I was like, "Thor took on the full force of a freaking star!" While also thinking, "What the heck is Thor's clothes made of?" to not be instantly burnt off at that moment.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
You might as well try to do the astrophysics on how all of the Infinity Stones of an entire universe ended up in a single galaxy.
Shit, two of them ended up on Earth alone, at two different points in time three Infinity Stones were on Earth at the same time, and four of the six stones made it to Earth at some point before Infinity War.

Avengers 1 - Space Stone, Mind Stone, and Time Stone were all on Earth
Thor: Dark World - Mind Stone, Time Stone, and Reality Stone were all on Earth.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night and thought it was great. Almost every scene with the Guardians (and Drax in particular) was hilarious.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
These parts were super interesting to me. I was like, "Thor took on the full force of a freaking star!" While also thinking, "What the heck is Thor's clothes made of?" to not be instantly burnt off at that moment.

I thought they missed an opportunity there. Thor should've been all lightning'ed up while doing that. Then it wouldn't have been so weird that:

A. he survived at all
B. his hair didn't burn (even though his skin did)
C. his clothes weren't even singed

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night and thought it was great. Almost every scene with the Guardians (and Drax in particular) was hilarious.
While I'm glad my boy Drax had the best comedic lines, I was somewhat disappointed that this was all he was relegated to. Isn't Drax supposed to get stronger the closer in proximity he gets to Thanos? Dude was just holding down Thanos' leg, lol.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thor is more powerful than Thanos, currently. Stormbreaker clearly channels or amplifies Thor's abilities considering it's imbued with lightning when it cuts through the Infinity Gauntlet beam.

Obviously, say, Groot throwing the axe wouldn't have done the same.

Stormbreaker is no different to Mjolnir except it's an axe that can open the Bifrost. They're both made of the same near-indestructible metal that only an Asgardian god could break.

Eitri: "...meant to the be the greatest in all of Asgard."

Stormbreaker cut through the Infinity Gauntlet's full power. Mjolnir was stopped and crushed by Hela's grip. To think they are at all similar LOL

Nothing Thor does in Infinity War is different to what he did at the end of Ragnarok. Heck, the thunderbolt in Infinity War is actually smaller than the one he summons in Ragnarok.

Beating a full-gauntlet Thanos versus getting his ass handed to him by Hela.

The only reason Thor couldn't beat Thanos aboard the spaceship is because he couldn't summon lightning without killing everyone on it, since metal conducts and all that, and he didn't have a weapon like Mjolnir or Stormbreaker to channel his power.

If that were true, Thor wouldn't have conceded defeat to Thanos when talking to Rocket ("he's never fought me twice!").

Feige already confirmed that Thanos by the start of Infinity War is the strongest in the universe - with just the Power Stone.

Hulk, Thor, and Thanos have all clearly ascended into the "Whoever the writer feels like" tier, if a 6-stone IG wielder getting punked wasn't hint enough. You might as well try to do the astrophysics on how all of the Infinity Stones of an entire universe ended up in a single galaxy..

Seriously.

It's a little weird seeing a guy possess the Stones containing the universe's power struggle with fucking Drax and Spider-Man, then shatter the surface of some random moon as the display of his power. This gauntlet should be wiping out entire galaxies.

They should've kept the Infinity Stones' origin and significance to just the Milky Way galaxy. Universe is a scale way to big to line up.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
You might as well try to do the astrophysics on how all of the Infinity Stones of an entire universe ended up in a single galaxy.

It crossed my mind. In the comics, they occasionally (or maybe frequently, I'm decades out of the loop) make a point of how Earth is special in various ways. But even though I love a good explanation for an inconsistency, they're better off ignoring this, along with:

- why everyone speaks English, even though other languages clearly exist
- how quickly everyone gets around the galaxy in regular old spaceships (less than a day from Earth to Titan, from Asgard to Titan, and from Asgard to Nidavellir). Even though it's been made clear in earlier films that shortcuts are necessary (Thor supposedly couldn't get to Earth without the Bifrost at one point, Guardians needed face-melting portals to get to Ego). Hell, even the Bifrost barely got Hulk to Earth before Thanos' Children from wherever they had their donuts parked.

But, just like Game of Thrones and its teleporting armies and key characters, when a story with this large a cast gets moving, characters have to be where they're needed, realism be damned.

But if you think Hulk ain't taking back that power throne in the next Avengers, you crazy. He's been getting Worfed way too hard these last few movies.

I can't wait. A "holy shit, Hulk is still the strongest" moment will be most welcome. I appreciate them paying attention to his multiple personality disorder, I really do. But Hulk isn't Hulk unless he outclasses everyone else in strength. Give him a chance to show it.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
While I'm glad my boy Drax had the best comedic lines, I was somewhat disappointed that this was all he was relegated to. Isn't Drax supposed to get stronger the closer in proximity he gets to Thanos? Dude was just holding down Thanos' leg, lol.
Why y'all keep talking like the comics version of these characters are the same as the MCU's?
When has that ever stated to be the case in GotG?

Like, I see people talking about MCU Thor being the All-Father. Is that a thing in the MCU? I sure as hell dont remember it being one.