• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It really is true. Just seeing the letters "TLJ" causes people to instantly volunteer their unprompted, unwanted (mysteriously usually negative) opinion of that film no matter what thread it is or what the subject the conversation is.
All without a hint of self-awareness.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is true. Just seeing the letters "TLJ" causes people to instantly volunteer their unprompted, unwanted (mysteriously usually negative) opinion of that film no matter what thread it is or what the subject the conversation is.
All without a hint of self-awareness.
Yeah I don't get it...someone asked why critics mentioned TLJ a lot in reviews and the answer is "TLJ is one of the worst blockbusters ever".....uh what the hell does that have to do with the question, especially how does it answer the question when critics gave really high praise to TLJ?

It's like if someone asked if it will rain today and you reply "GLOBAL WARMING IS FAKE!"

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
Ok enough Last Jedi please. We have like 50 fucking threads debating that film. No need to muddy this up with more talk of that movie.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
What the heck does you hating TLJ have to do with his question of why critics mention TLJ a lot in IW reviews? It'd be only a relevant answer to the question if critics didn't like TLJ but critics loved TLJ (91% RT, 8.1 RT average score).

TLJ is one of the most well-received blockbuster films in recent years, so critcs weren't rattled by TLJ, critics loved TLJ.

I am still confused by this weird fake narrative that people push to try to pretend like TLJ had a bad reception, it's bizarre and doesn't match reality. It was a movie that got fantastic reviews and did 1.3 billion at the box office. No, critics weren't upset or angry about TLJ.

He mentioned TLJ in his spoiler free review so I guess that would be why he replied to Inferno who didn't even mention critics.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dr Strange is an essential watch?

Fuck.
Its the 1 MCU film I haven't seen yet. How essential we talking here?

Like, is there more I need to know other than Benedict Cumberwatch uses an infinity stone to become a wizard-y dude? Is his appearance in Thor Ragnarok not enough? Looks like I know what I am doing tonight. My showing is on Friday night.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
was at the midnight showing, which i think in my 37 years was the best atmosphere i have ever experienced, and thought the film was truly magnificent in every way possible

i got home at 3am, spent a couple of hours on here, then went to bed

after about 4 hours of sleep, i got up, got dressed, and drove straight back to the cinema to watch it again

just got home, and my mind is even more blown!

this is the pinnacle people... that single moment in time when you realise that magisterial excellence is achievable

i'm typing this out bent down on one knee in honour... some one please, ask me to rise

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Fuck.

Like, is there more I need to know other than Benedict Cumberwatch uses an infinity stone to become a wizard-y dude? Is his appearance in Thor Ragnarok not enough? Looks like I know what I am doing tonight. My showing is on Friday night.
You have time to watch it. It's good.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck.

Not essential essential, but a proper introduction to Strange and his world (and also another Infinity Stone), as it's wildly different from any of the rest of the MCU (like GOTG is), and I believe Strange has a large role in IW.
Plus it's just a good film to watch anyway, and not that long (under 2 hours, most MCU films go over 130 minutes).

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England

absolutely 100%

he's in it a lot, he has a big decision to make (which really will be discussed as we approach A4) so getting some background on his character and his journey and his motives i believe is essential. plus thanos does something at one point which has also only been seen in the doctor strange movie

i'm surprised people are leaving it off their essential lists?

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Almost there, fam...,

Almost there. 1 more day

Fuck.

It's on Netflix

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Strange's only flaw is that he's not British.

Cumerbach's American accent just sounded weird.

Awesome movie though.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I liked Doctor Strange. Found it very entertaining, plus also my pick for visually most interesting. I loved that mirror dimension/time stone shit. Also for some reason I really liked Tilda swinton.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The three most important would be..

Thor Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy 1+2
Civil War

And to see Thor and Civil War, you obviously need to see all the Thor, Iron Man, Cap and Avengers movies.

Basically this movie is best when you're already fully invested in all these characters. I can't imagine how a casual fan of these movies would react to this film.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
was at the midnight showing, which i think in my 37 years was the best atmosphere i have ever experienced, and thought the film was truly magnificent in every way possible

i got home at 3am, spent a couple of hours on here, then went to bed

after about 4 hours of sleep, i got up, got dressed, and drove straight back to the cinema to watch it again

just got home, and my mind is even more blown!

this is the pinnacle people... that single moment in time when you realise that magisterial excellence is achievable

i'm typing this out bent down on one knee in honour... some one please, ask me to rise
You sir are causing me to explode with hype. I've seen every MCU movie and some too many times to count. Sounds like this is the movie that was made for me.

There's Doctor Strange hate? I havent seen any here yet, I just never got round to it. Im sure i'll enjoy it!

There is. I don't know if it's a lot or just a noticeable few but I've seen it called boring. Many do call it the weakest of Phase 3 which isn't that bad because of how amazing the Phase has been. Personally it's in my top 10 and sometimes in my top 5. I've seen it too many times to remember and just love some scenes a ton.

Last edited:

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao that was completely unnecessary and reeks of the same dumb system wars bullshit you see in the gaming side whenever Sony has a strong release.
I mean, while I would be happy to see some of the insane multiverse shit from the comics gloriously come to life on the big screen, I've seen nothing from that camp that shows they are capable of pulling it off. Meanwhile, Marvel just got the mutants back. DC's got their work cut out for them.
Is it neccessary to watch black panther before infinity wars?
No, it's fairly self-contained. You can familiarize yourself with the characters via youtube or something.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
You sir are causing me to explode with hype. I've seen every MCU movie and some too many times to count. Sounds like this is the movie that was made for me.

if you're genuinely someone who has seen all the movies multiple times and fully understands and embraces what's what right through the 10 year arch, you will get every single beat in infinity war and the whole thing will blossom into probably the best 150 mins you've ever seen (in terms of comic book movies)

i know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's true

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm too indecisive on where and how I want to see it, therefore no tickets have been purchased.

jf8bxj.gif

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
if you're genuinely someone who has seen all the movies multiple times and fully understands and embraces what's what right through the 10 year arch, you will get every single beat in infinity war and the whole thing will blossom into probably the best 150 mins you've ever seen (in terms of comic book movies)

I second this, I've been there since day one, seen every MCU movie on pics except for Ant-Man, that one still kills me, and then watched again and reached multiple times and I got everything from IW, the entire film clicked, it flowed perfectly and if I had one complaint it is I have to wait a year for it to conclude.

Probably my fave Marvel film next to Iron Man and Captain America 2.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

whew boy

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
on the flip side, if you are going into infinity war having missed certain instalments and have ceased to be familiar with certain elements (especially from a certain phase one flick (wink wink, nod nod (whew boy!))), then you will admittedly see a lesser film

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I concur.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Same. It was a really good movie. Looking forward to him in this!

Totally disagree, it was one of the most "by the books" formulaic Marvel movies to date. It lack any real charm... sure as hell lacked any urgency in regards to anything even remotely substantial and weakest use of a great actor as a Marvel villain. The only thing I can recall (or anyone else I ever talked to about Dr. Strange) from watching it is the "trippy", mindbending scene.

It fits right through that "origin" story template with no fuss. It's not bad but its also no where near good. It's just a fucking boring dreck.

If you enjoyed it, cool. But its by no means is it even close to being one Marvel's best releases.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
on the flip side, if you are going into infinity war having missed certain instalments and have ceased to be familiar with certain elements (especially from a certain phase one flick (wink wink, nod nod (whew boy!))), then you will admittedly see a lesser film
The person I'm seeing it has only seen Civil War and BP. She wanted to catch up for BP so told her to watch that of course. She saw it 4 times but worried she won't get everything else.

The best thing about her though is that she's #TeamTony.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Great to hear.

I'm fully invested in the MCU. I've loved every movie, TV show and Nextflix show, even if a few have been small missteps, generally they are all great to me, so I know I'm already going to love this, I'm hyped as fuck.

Waiting for Avengers 4 is gonna be hard..........

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yep, totally agree.