• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dr Strange is an essential watch?

Fuck.
Its the 1 MCU film I haven't seen yet. How essential we talking here?

Like, is there more I need to know other than Benedict Cumberwatch uses an infinity stone to become a wizard-y dude? Is his appearance in Thor Ragnarok not enough? Looks like I know what I am doing tonight. My showing is on Friday night.
It's on Netflix.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Minor nitpick: IW cements the brutal depowering arc that my poor boy Hulk has been subjected to since Age of Ultron. He went from "most powerful avenger" to "situationally useful dumb but strong guy" to "probably not even particularly strong dumb guy" in Ragnarok and now he's in full "pretty much as relevant as Hawkeye".

The comments on Carol being MCU's Superman are particularly painful as an Hulk stan because he used to hold that role.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely 100%

he's in it a lot, he has a big decision to make (which really will be discussed as we approach A4) so getting some background on his character and his journey and his motives i believe is essential. plus thanos does something at one point which has also only been seen in the doctor strange movie

i'm surprised people are leaving it off their essential lists?

Really annoys me that this isn't out on UHD.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Minor nitpick: IW cements the brutal depowering arc that my poor boy Hulk has been subjected to since Age of Ultron. He went from "most powerful avenger" to "situationally useful dumb but strong guy" to "probably not even particularly strong dumb guy" in Ragnarok and now he's in full "pretty much as relevant as Hawkeye".

The comments on Carol being MCU's Superman are particularly painful as an Hulk stan because he used to hold that role.

Hulk was pretty strong in Ragnarok. I'm not sure seeing pure Hulk would work in the narrative, because he would be going toe-to-toe with Thanos.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better than the first two Avengers movies? :p

Well that sucks.
.....But does Spider-Man look strong? :3

Oct 25, 2017
Question to those that have seen it. Could the quick pace of the movie be compared to that of GOTG2? What I mean is the movie feeling too quick to even react at what's happening properly?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

What? Hulk goes toe-to-toe with Thor in Ragnarok and even rocks Surtur with a slam before being knocked away ready to jump back into the fight

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

That's disappointing to hear. I for sure thought the brothers would do him justice....

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear.

I'm fully invested in the MCU. I've loved every movie, TV show and Nextflix show, even if a few have been small missteps, generally they are all great to me, so I know I'm already going to love this, I'm hyped as fuck.

Waiting for Avengers 4 is gonna be hard..........
210643.gif

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was a middlingly dull movie and the jokes were bad. Best thing about it was brolins thanos who wasn't played as a straight cartoon. 6/10

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Hulk's strength has always been in the utter chaos he causes. He and Thor were fairly evenly matched in Avengers (and you could argue that Thor was stronger even then since he was trying to contain the Hulk, not wreck the hellicarrier) and Hulk remained at the same power level pretty much since then. The thing is though, Hulk has always said he is the strongest there is and fans of the Hulk have always been told he is the strongest there is, but that does not mean it is actually true. He's more akin to that kid you know who always boasted about how much they could bench press when other people could always beat him, they just didn't brag about it.

Thor may be more powerful but Hulk is still the absolute king of causing chaos. Hulk is more a bomb that explodes into more bombs that explodes into more bombs when used. Thor is the Avengers tactical strike and considering he's now imbued with the Odinforce (even if they haven't confirmed that yet) even more so.

As for Carol, I don't expect her to be the most physically strong. I do expect her to be the most "powerful" though and considering Captain Marvel's powerset involves energy absorption and manipulation, that seems pretty accurate.

TLDR: Power is not just physical strength, especially as the MCU gets more cosmic.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
if you're genuinely someone who has seen all the movies multiple times and fully understands and embraces what's what right through the 10 year arch, you will get every single beat in infinity war and the whole thing will blossom into probably the best 150 mins you've ever seen (in terms of comic book movies)

i know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's true

I wanted to hear that :)

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Aw man, does Hulk get no standout action moments?

I was hoping the Russos would do him right

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Too many minor details and mini-reviews/feelings from the people who have seen it.

I AM OUT! 9 hours and 13 minutes until I see it... I am going dark now, I hope you all enjoy it when you see it. See you in the unmarked spoiler official thread tonight.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

It's too bad to hear this, but Hulk even has this problem in the comics a lot in these giant crossover events. ESPECIALLY when cosmic characters start to get involved.

It also probably doesn't help that there's a rights situation surrounding Hulk that doesn't allow Marvel to release a new solo Hulk film. Even if it's subconsciously, I'm sure that plays a factor in him not playing as big a role in these films.

One day we'll get Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, and Hulk will shine again!

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

Feige said that Hulk/Banner get's his own movie across the three movies with Ragnarok and the two Avengers movies and his part in Infinity War makes it quite clear that there is more to his arc.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
How is Thanos compared to the heavyweight comicbook movie villains outside of the MCU?

Feige said that Hulk/Banner get's his own movie across the three movies with Ragnarok and the two Avengers movies and his part in Infinity War makes it quite clear that there is more to his arc.

Damn, they made Hulk a DLC character lmao.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hulk's strength has always been in the utter chaos he causes. He and Thor were fairly evenly matched in Avengers (and you could argue that Thor was stronger even then since he was trying to contain the Hulk, not wreck the hellicarrier) and Hulk remained at the same power level pretty much since then. The thing is though, Hulk has always said he is the strongest there is and fans of the Hulk have always been told he is the strongest there is, but that does not mean it is actually true. He's more akin to that kid you know who always boasted about how much they could bench press when other people could always beat him, they just didn't brag about it.

Thor may be more powerful but Hulk is still the absolute king of causing chaos. Hulk is more a bomb that explodes into more bombs that explodes into more bombs when used. Thor is the Avengers tactical strike and considering he's now imbued with the Odinforce (even if they haven't confirmed that yet) even more so.

As for Carol, I don't expect her to be the most physically strong. I do expect her to be the most "powerful" though and considering Captain Marvel's powerset involves energy absorption and manipulation, that seems pretty accurate.

TLDR: Power is not just physical strength, especially as the MCU gets more cosmic.

If you're referring to MCU Hulk, well I will say that I agree if we for a moment ignore the first Avengers movie. In the first movie, Hulk is considered so powerful that they don't even recruit him on the team because they're afraid they'd lose control of him. And when things go sideways, Hulk is the reason the good guys think they may win. Factually speaking, Hulk is the single Avenger that does the most damage to the Chitauri army and he's the one who stops Loki.
He's sort of the Avengers atom bomb, more powerful than the rest but too dangerous to use.

Then we slowly reach a point where he's just another guy and now he's a guy who's probably not even on par with Thor (or at this point possibly Iron Man) ON TOP of all the control issues. He's not the atom bomb anymore, just an unreliable gun.

Another thing I strongly dislike is that the MCU has become a bit like Dragonball, where people made of rubber are constantly punched into mountains or kicked into a wall and rolling around 100 yards tearing metal and concrete like it was cardboard. The idea that the Hulk's resiliance is something else (this is a guy who you can't really kill even with a nuke) would be that of having people punch him and him barely flinch. Instead he's kicked around like he was a giant inflated doll. He always stands back up, but ultimately most other heroes do too.

If we're talking comics, he's all over the place even there but he's the only Avenger Thanos admitted to be worried about. He's in a different weight category from anybody who isn't Thor, and Thor would never beat him in a pure brawl.

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
There's no way they won't relese new Blu Ray or 4K box sets by phase, right?

I know physical media is dying out but there has to be enough incentive for this. I love the idea of having the entire MCU in snazzy, compact collections.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Thor Ragnarok already taking elements from Planet Hulk?

only a few visual references (Hulk is shipped off to a gladiator planet, becomes champion and is praised as a hero). I watched the behind the scenes shit on the Ragnarok blu ray and Taika says the Ragnarok story is more based on the Marvel Contest of Champions story. Ruffalo himself says Ragnarok is not "the legendary Planet Hulk story".

Soon enough we'll have the whole Illuminati in the MCU, and they can do the real ass Planet Hulk story assuming they figure out the whole Hulk solo-film rights situation. It would be a shame if Ragnarok prevents them from telling that story just because it shares some visuals with the comic version.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dying. Seeing this movie at 7 with my fiance, our son and two of our friends.

I have avoided spoilers more for this movie than any other piece of media in my life.

That being said, I'm DYING to know things like

• Does Captain America get his shield back?
  • Do Tony Stark and Steve Rogers talk it through and bury the hatchet?
  • Does Peter Quill step foot back on his home planet?
  • Does Thor get his eye back or was that just early promotional material?
  • And of course, who dies?!?!
Nobody answer any of these. Just an example of what is racing through my mind today. I am friggin stoked!!!!