• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Stay away from Twitter guys. People are throwing out random comments under some threads and stuff. Time to go dark

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My butt is officially planted in the cinema that is about to play Avengers Infinity War.

My knees are weak, arms are heavy and palms sweaty.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Maaaan. I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy my first viewing all that much.

It's 7 and I'm already tiiiiired. My movie doesn't start until 10:40 (so really, 11pm after previews). I can already tell I'm going to be exhausted going into the 2 and a half hour explosion of a film.

I wish I could get a nap in before going.

I just spent 10 hours today and yesterday each digging ditches. My theater has recliners. The temptation to sleep mid movie will be strong.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I have tickets for tomorrow. I wanted to go tonight, but I have work as a teacher tomorrow and I really don't want to be exhausted. It's field day.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I will be going again on Saturday with the wife though so I can get the repeat viewing experience impressions in as well.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I'm supposed to go see it with family this weekend but part of me wants to go by myself tonight and see it with all the fans

half a moon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm supposed to go see it with family this weekend but part of me wants to go by myself tonight and see it with all the fans
tenor.gif

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I know it always comes down to subjective opinions. I'm trying to accept that, fully.

But I still find it fascinating that we have so many die-hard fans in here praising it as the best MCU film ever-ever, and some big fans, John Campea for one little example, ranking it in their top 5, but not finding it to be exemplary.

Yes, that's how opinions work, so I guess I'm just pontificating out my ass, but there you have my thoughts for the hour.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I know it always comes down to subjective opinions. I'm trying to accept that, fully.

But I still find it fascinating that we have so many die-hard fans in here praising it as the best MCU film ever-ever, and some big fans, John Campea for one little example, ranking it in their top 5, but not finding it to be exemplary.

Yes, that's how opinions work, so I guess I'm just pontificating out my ass, but there you have my thoughts for the hour.

It's probably one of those "not a great movie, but a lot of great shit happens." deals, which is fine. Sometimes that's why we go to the movies.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

For me, no MCU movie has topped Winter Soldier, and I doubt this will too, but it'll still probably be a top 3.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have seen it, is there just one post credit scene or multiple?
People that came out of the premier said that there is just one.
I was wondering if they changed that and added another one for the theatrical cut.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Die hard fans are always making every new movies as the "best MCU movie ever"

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
For me, no MCU movie has topped Winter Soldier, and I doubt this will too, but it'll still probably be a top 3.

This is pretty much how I feel. Winter Soldier isn't just my favorite MCU movie, it's one of my favorite movies ever. So, my expectations aren't that IW will be my favorite MCU movie (unrealistic)... I just expect it to be the biggest spectacle I've ever seen on a theater screen - and it sounds like that is what it is.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Wish I was seeing it tonight, but I'm going tomorrow at 9:15am. Hope everyone going tonight has a good time. Enjoy!

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Seeing it tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait. Feel like a little kid seeing his dreams come true. Trying to wait until I see it before jumping into threads but man, it's exciting.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I find that a lot of times when someone say it isn't "exemplary", what they really mean is "it doesn't do something completely unlike anything else". But even if it's a simpler or derivative movie, that doesn't mean it can't make up for it with great character, writing, action, overall beats etc.

As an example; plenty of people still cite Iron Man as one of the best movies in the MCU. It kicked off the whole thing and at the time there was very few movies like it. Ant-Man came out at the tail-end of Phase 2, and it didn't get as much praise in the context of which it came out in. That said... I still find Ant-Man the far, far better movie, because it has a much more palpable 3-act structure and overall better characters.

As a non-MCU example, Spirited Away is commonly considered the best Ghibli movie by many, and is a unique fantasy story. In contrast, Kiki's Delivery Service is a very simple coming-of-age story - and even though I can acknowledge that Spirited Away is much more unique of a piece of film work, I still have more of a fondness of Kiki.

At surface value if you're used to what the MCU is, Infinity War isn't going to blow you away like other Marvel movies have (well, to be honest it might in a few aspects). But in spite of it's issues, what it does good, it does oh so good. And that finale, I can't stop thinking about it.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much how I feel. Winter Soldier isn't just my favorite MCU movie, it's one of my favorite movies ever. So, my expectations aren't that IW will be my favorite MCU movie (unrealistic)... I just expect it to be the biggest spectacle I've ever seen on a theater screen - and it sounds like that is what it is.
Same. It really won't hit me until I get in the theater but this is such a large event in not just cbm history, but film history overall

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Can't get over how good Thanos is. After all the hype, they nailed it. He definitely overtakes Killmonger for me

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a ticket for IMAX 3D for 2:30 AM Friday night but I am thinking that is a little too ridiculously late and would ruin my Friday.
I just got another ticket for regular digital for 11:30 PM, but I am still double minded.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Making Thanos lose his armor was a good decision.
I was not convinced at first but he looks good.

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna wait to watch this tomorrow with my wife

said fuck it ill go tonight 1030 pm showiiiing yeah. not gonna lie, half the reason Im going is because Im worried some asshole is gonna spoil it for me

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Feel disappointed with the movie.

I'm not sure whether I was expecting everything to fall into place better than it did or characters to be handled with deft like they were in their own movies, but the film came off like a whole lot of nothing.
There's a lot of scenes of characters interacting with one another and they eventually pair off the most interesting groups - but these groups don't have the kind of chemistry that the Avengers, Winter Soldier or even Ragnarok had, nor have any kind of memorable moments. All those characters in that run time was going to be a stretch to balance - and while Civil War felt like the test run for this, I feel like they had managed it better there than here.

No one really changes over the course of the movie or had any real time to shine - apart from maybe Thanos. The problem was that this villain wasn't as compelling as the film seemed to think he was, or was interesting enough to hang a lot of scenes on.

if I had to give anyone the MVP - it's Thor. Any scene with him in it was a delight, as well as his cohorts. I hope they decide to keep this aspect going in future films.

The reason I'm focusing so much on the characters is because the plot is serviceable. It's a horror movie where your slasher victims are infinity stones - and while this works for the most part, with lots of excellent action choreography and lovely cgi, I can't see it sticking in the mind the way BP's villian, Winter Soldiers intrigue or the Avengers build towards action did. When I said a whole lot of nothing - a lot of these characters actions don't actually build to anything - maybe fighting some dudes to protect a stone and that is it.

But

I want to know how they resolve the bonkers ending, or at least how that shapes the next few films the way that the end of Winter Soldier and Civil War did.

In non-spoiler terms; I expected better - and hope they pick things up in the next movie. Seeing as they're going back to a solo movie with Cap Marvel, I'm hoping it might fix the bloat problem this had.

Yeah these are about my feelings. Kinda disappointed, bored and felt like not much happened.

Middle of the road film, I'd say it's maybe on par with Avengers 1. MC reflects that. Don't know if I'd ever rewatch it.

The more characters they add, the less I like it. Focused solos are better.

It's weird that Rocket and Thor had maybe the best chemistry in the film.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of really excited kids in line. Black panther toys, spiderman costumes, etc. and of course tons of super nerds with their cool shirts on. :)

I hope everyone's loud and has a good time in the theater! Lol

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved it but it is most definitely a "Part 1" and anyone who says different is a liar.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
5 minutes til previews...

All showings tonight at AMC are sold out.
13 normal, 3 3D, and 1 fan event

Hype levels at Max !

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
Been great watching people's impressions pile in today. Can't get this film out of my head. Got my second viewing later today with my eldest son and I have no idea how he's going to take the ending.

I really loved it but it is most definitely a "Part 1" and anyone who says different is a liar.
It's a complete film, but only half a story.