• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Except a bunch of them have already been introduced and people like them, as I've already explained. Why would they have to wait? It makes perfect sense to me that in the big battle at the end of IW, a bunch of the main heroes are either "killed" or lost in space or what have you. Gone. All the remains, is the new heroes. That would be Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, etc. Then in Avengers 4, they team up, get the old team back together, and finish the fight. We get to see the whole team finally complete with Wasp and Captain Marvel, we get the huge final battle, and we get the passing of the buck to the new team. You can't just go from One team to the next with no transition. You have to have a passing of the baton.

So you think that Chris Evans or Robert Downey has a chance of not being a major part of Avengers 4 until the end.

There's simply no chance of that.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think that Chris Evans or Robert Downey has a chance of not being a major part of Avengers 4 until the end.

There's simply no chance of that.
I absolutely do think there is a chance that they could use Avengers 4 to focus on the new heroes for a majority of the time, slowly gaining back the old favorites to build the Avengers back up, until everyone is reunited for the final battle in the last 30-45 minutes, yes.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And I'm sorry, but there is just no chance of that.

Agreed, Avengers 4 is going to be Tony and Steve's final hurrah. I would't be surprised if both died. My idea was that most of the heroes die at the end of Avengers 4. Somebody uses the Gauntlet to reset the universe and then we get new actors for Iron Man, Cap, etc.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, Avengers 4 is going to be Tony and Steve's final hurrah. I would't be surprised if both died. My idea was that most of the heroes die at the end of Avengers 4. Somebody uses the Gauntlet to reset the universe and then we get new actors for Iron Man, Cap, etc.
Ugh. I'd rather they be gone from the universe than recast, especially like that.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I will say this definitively.

There is NO CHANCE AT ALL, that they recast. They will either die, or just be shelved and relegated to cameos.

They are currently introducing NEW AVENGERS that are gonna have movies into the next ten years. Black Panther 3, Doctor Strange 3, Captain Marvel 3, we're gonna get all of that. THEY are going to be the new leaders of the avengers.

Who knows? They might even try a Civil War 2 that's like BP vs Captain Marvel or something.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There is NO CHANCE AT ALL, that they recast. They will either die, or just be shelved and relegated to cameos.

They are currently introducing NEW AVENGERS that are gonna have movies into the next ten years. Black Panther 3, Doctor Strange 3, Captain Marvel 3, we're gonna get all of that. THEY are going to be the new leaders of the avengers.

Who knows? They might even try a Civil War 2 that's like BP vs Captain Marvel or something.

Very possible, so many possibilities.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i still think there's no chance rdj/iron man or chris evans/cap are going anywhere

they are too huge to just kill. who does that satisfy?

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I have a hard time believing no one will take the mantle when Steve Rogers Evans is out.

Same goes for IM and I don't see Cheadle doing it. They will want a Genius like character.

It won't be recasts but just new characters poursuing the legacy. And I think it will apply for every big one like in the comics.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cream, they've been on set filming. A lot.

And there's nothing that would point towards that otherwise. Dunno what you're taking about at all. The point of these two movies is an ending to the previous 10 years.
Okay, so then can I ask you what your personal prediction for the plot of Avengers 4?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I don't think Stark will be dying. They all might die in Infinity War (and be brought back almost immediately) since that is the nature of the Infinity Gauntlet and how that story tends to play out. But Stark, as a character, really has no narrative reason to die. The character can still be useful in the Marvel Universe well into his 90s as a Director of Shield or whatever else, without the armor. And yes, Marvel absolutely can just let him run off and be happy for awhile and then recast him down the road, but keep it in the MCU.

Rogers on the other hand, is absolutely the most killable. Captain America naturally has two people, already introduced, to take up his mantle. That said, I don't think they will kill him though. He can hand the shield over, even if its only temporary for an extended period of time and be a great character in say, a Captain Marvel sequel, where he mentors her about becoming the leader of the Avengers (since thats the direction it seems Marvel is going). If Evans absolutely wants out, then you just leave the characters fate up in the air and bring him back down the road.

No matter who dies in the MCU, they can easily be erased and reversed. It makes no sense to slam that door closed permanently on any of these characters unless they absolutely know they will never need them again. And with Cap and Iron Man, who both have under a billion dollars in box office revenue under their belt each, I don't see the point in that.

Oct 29, 2017
Casting my vote with the killing of major heroes in these movies. My predictions:
Infinity War: some of the lesser heroes get killed by black order to establish threat - Black Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine, Vision (he has to have that stone for the final scene of him having the completed gauntlet) and maybe Falcon, oh also Loki is killed as well for his failure in losing stones making Thanos have to do it.
Infinity Gauntlet: Captain America dies, Bucky takes up his shield and saves Iron Man (this sets up Iron man's Blessing for him to become new Cap) Thor dies and Marvel has Valkyrie become new Thor (because they can't have Jane Foster do it like the comics but still gives us a female Thor) not sure if Hulk is done or they keep him around since Ruffalo loves playing the character and only appears in the team up films anyway. The rest take down Thanos. Not sure about Scarlet Witch biting the dust or staying on. Same with Drax and Gamora, this one or both could die also Nebula dies. Iron Man hangs it up after all this to settle down with Pepper, has faith in new team. New team now consists of
-
Black Panther (leader, genius of team), Captain Marvel (muscle, Hulk replacement for heavy lifting)
Captain America 2.0 Bucky version
Female Thor
Doctor Strange (magic/cosmic element)
Spider-Man (comedic relief)
Ant-man
Wasp

This is a great looking team and also awesome diversity among the cast.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a more interesting question. Which of the original Avengers do you think are completely death proof?

I think the only people who totally won't die for sure are Scarlet Witch, Falcon, War Machine and maybe Black Widow.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Here's a more interesting question. Which of the original Avengers do you think are completely death proof?

I think the only people who totally won't die for sure are Scarlet Witch, Falcon, War Machine and maybe Black Widow.

They'll all die. Except Doctor Strange. Actually, even he might die.

But then they'll be resurrected by a certain angry woman :)

Thor is technically the most death proof Avenger. Yea he can die, but he always comes back because of the stable time loop that is Asgardian mythology (Ragnarok kind of enters into this, since there must always be an end so there can be a new beginning as all the Asgardians resurrect).

Thanos can and will squash the Avengers like a bug. He will easily kill them. But I don't think they'll be staying dead.

There will absolutely be a new team of Avengers by the end of Avengers 4. But I don't think any of the current team will be dead. Just mostly retired or moving in non-Avenging directions.

Oct 29, 2017
So my question is, if you don't kill off all the weaker characters in the first movie or second what the heck do you have them do? Like honestly who are the heavy hitters that can even fight in the final battle against a gauntlet powered Thanos and last even a little longer?
Thor, Hulk, Doctor Strange, a fully powered Scarlet Witch (whose powers are truly unleashed once Vision is killed and she is pissed) GOTG2 power leveled Gamora and Drax and Captain Marvel. Everyone else can freakin get worked by the Black Order let alone Thanos with the Gauntlet. A bunch of them are dying; they've built to this for 10 years. Thanos is going to wreck some fools and we're all going to leave the theater crying

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So my question is, if you don't kill off all the weaker characters in the first movie or second what the heck do you have them do? Like honestly who are the heavy hitters that can even fight in the final battle against a gauntlet powered Thanos and last even a little longer?
Thor, Hulk, Doctor Strange, a fully powered Scarlet Witch (whose powers are truly unleashed once Vision is killed and she is pissed) GOTG2 power leveled Gamora and Drax and Captain Marvel. Everyone else can freakin get worked by the Black Order let alone Thanks with the Gauntlet. A bunch of them are dying; they've built to this for 10 years. Thanks is going to wreck some fools and we've all going to leave the theater crying

They'll all beat the Black Order but the Black Order will escape with all the gems but 1. Then I expect Thanos getting that last gem and killing them all to happen.

The mistake, I think, is expecting anyone to "beat" Thanos. Thanos doesn't need anyone to beat him, because no one can beat him physically or magically when he has the gems. Even Thanos without the gems is basically a rough match for everyone bar an Odin Force Thor.

But they don't need to win. They will all die, and it will be okay. People will be crying. But then they'll be back once Thanos' plan falls apart, as they always do :)

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Okay, so then can I ask you what your personal prediction for the plot of Avengers 4?
Infinity War ends with Thanos assembling the Infinity Gauntlet. Avengers 4: Infinity Gauntlet is Thanos going full on mad god mode, bending and altering space time etc. to his will. The film ends with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE uniting against him to bring him down.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sincerely believe that in the current incarnation of the MCU there is zero, read zero chance of recasting Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. RDJ and Evans have become so iconic, so ingrained in those roles that it's just not gonna happen. RDJ is Stark and Evans is Captain America.

Passing the mantle? Sure. Recast? Absolutely not. At least not until the whole universe gets reset into a new continuity

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely believe that in the current incarnation of the MCU there is zero, read zero chance of recasting Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. RDJ and Evans have become so iconic, so ingrained in those roles that it's just not gonna happen. RDJ is Stark and Evans is Captain America.

Passing the mantle? Sure. Recast? Absolutely not. At least not until the whole universe gets reset into a new continuity
Yup. Agreed completely.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Thor is deathproof because he will grow a big bushy beard and be King Thor and take a backseat in future mcu movies, the role of Thor might be passed on to Valkyrie basically becoming the lady thor equivalent from the comic.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

Basically my opinion on the whole thing, too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I want Thor to be the front figure going forward if they can keep the momentum from Ragnarok. Or if he have to take a backseat age him up and finally give me old man Thor.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War ends with Thanos assembling the Infinity Gauntlet. Avengers 4: Infinity Gauntlet is Thanos going full on mad god mode, bending and altering space time etc. to his will. The film ends with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE uniting against him to bring him down.
Yep, and I think for Avengers 4, every character will have their classic iconic looks for the final battle and for a full poster money shot.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
The Russos said the main "comedians" of IW would be Thor and Starlord.
I can see Iron Man taking a back seat in that regard on account of getting his ass whooped and suffering from PTSD triggers of another alien invasion. Maybe Spiderman, too, for feeling out of his depth. But Rocket? Groot? Ant-Man? Those characters aren't gonna be funny?

Or does 'main comedians' mean that Starlord and Thor will be the funniest characters that are among the most central heroes of the plot?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Stark will be dying. They all might die in Infinity War (and be brought back almost immediately) since that is the nature of the Infinity Gauntlet and how that story tends to play out. But Stark, as a character, really has no narrative reason to die. The character can still be useful in the Marvel Universe well into his 90s as a Director of Shield or whatever else, without the armor.

They have to pay RDJ something in the neighborhood of $50 million when he's in a film, no matter how insignificant the role. Hell, way back when they announced Civil War, a rumor came out (prior to the announcement) that they were doing something as big as Civil War because they had to justify RDJ's insane price tag (they wanted him for a smaller role in Cap 3).

It's very hard to justify sun-setting him into a small cameo role when he's so expensive. I don't know that he'll die, but with that price tag he's definitely going away soon.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh Han Solo is one of the most iconic characters in modern day fiction and we're getting a movie about him without Ford. I could see them recasting Cap and Iron Man if they feel they need to keep those characters around.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The way I imagine what might happened to original avengers

Tony Stark, dead
Steve Rogers, lose his power and become old, may take backseat role as Nick Fury type role.
Thor, become king thor and again take a backseat and be like Odin
Hulk, split from Banner, Hulk stay as Avengers, Banner might retire and go away with
Black Widow, retire and exit MCU if she's not killed in Avengers 3 or 4.
Hawkeye, dead
Nick Fury, dead
Coulson, reveal himself alive to Avengers and be Steve Rogers right hand man in SHIELD

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Badly maimed Cap is more likely than having to deal with the CGI for OldCap if you are keeping Evans around.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow will get her solo movie in Phase 4. Ain't no chance she's gonna leave that contract.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Eh Han Solo is one of the most iconic characters in modern day fiction and we're getting a movie about him without Ford. I could see them recasting Cap and Iron Man if they feel they need to keep those characters around.
It still is a prequel at least though taking place before a new hope. Having someone just outright replace rdj in the canon universe would be awful. I'd argue rdj/iron man is the most inseparable role ever.

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely do think there is a chance that they could use Avengers 4 to focus on the new heroes for a majority of the time, slowly gaining back the old favorites to build the Avengers back up, until everyone is reunited for the final battle in the last 30-45 minutes, yes.

Nah. Focus will be on the current Avengers. Cap and IronMan will die (or most of them).

Spidey will lead the next generation of the Avengers.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Focus will be on the current Avengers. Cap and IronMan will die (or most of them).

Spidey leading makes no sense. He's a kid.

The leader will be either Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel or The Wasp.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still is a prequel at least though taking place before a new hope. Having someone just outright replace rdj in the canon universe would be awful. I'd argue rdj/iron man is the most inseparable role ever.

I mean years ago someone would have said the same thing about Han/Indy.

I think RDJ is the hardest to replace, and I'm sure they'll pull a wolverine and won't even think about it and let the character retire for years to come.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that will happen because of the Sony stuff, also, he's far too young. I honestly not sure who could lead the Avengers without Cap or Tony around, the only one that seems capable would be Black panther but I don't think he fits with the MCU since he's far too serious.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't think that will happen because of the Sony stuff, also, he's far too young. I honestly not sure who could lead the Avengers without Cap or Tony around, the only one that seems capable would be Black panther but I don't think he fits with the MCU since he's far too serious.
It's between Dr Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

I imagine Marvel is hoping these 3 will be their new trinity.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel will lead the way. Look at the comic books lol.

No but really, I want Captain Marvel to be the new lead. Especially if they write her well in her solo.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
It's between Dr Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

I imagine Marvel is hoping these 3 will be their new trinity.

I imagine Strange will be too concerned with cosmic threats, so won't be willing to lead the team on a day to day basis. I'm going to bet on whichever movie performs better out of Black Panther and Captain Marvel, with Panther having the edge right now because of his popularity from Civil War and the hype building for his movie next year.