• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the Guardians as formidable. Everyone else mentioned yes. Due to their powers.

Gamora, Nebula and Drax are canonically strong as hell and in GotG 2 in particular they show it.

Dunno why Gamora was so nerfed in 1, but in 2 they course corrected and had her do stuff like lift the ship mounted gun onto her shoulder.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? I love the Russo brothers but the Guardians don't have super powers they have guns. Well Groot has powers but he is basically a shaman in WoW powers wise
treedance.gif
GnX2nM4.jpg

She wasn't Thanos' favorite for no reason. She's gonna wreck shit. And Drax is crazy strong, too.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Everyone hypes up wanting to see Cap pick up the stupid hammer but at this point it has been spoiled by the fact that Vision picked it up like nothing and Hela broke it like glass. Whedon made Mjolnir a joke and Waititi rightly finished it off.

I would much rather see Drax as the last man standing and in Infinity War and have him do the Annihilation scene. Maybe do it while Thanos still has the gauntlet so that it doesn't actually end up killing him. Bautista deserves a scene stealing hype moment, his Drax has been pretty damn incredible.

thanos-drax-103589.png

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the Guardians as formidable. Everyone else mentioned yes. Due to their powers.
Aren't at least Drax and Gamora pretty powerful? Like, isn't Drax supposed to be able to take on Hulk (in the comics, at least)? Not sure where Starlord lies after Guardians 2, did he lose his demi-god powers?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't at least Drax and Gamora pretty powerful? Like, isn't Drax supposed to be able to take on Hulk (in the comics, at least)? Not sure where Starlord lies after Guardians 2, did he lose his demi-god powers?

I think the issue is Marvel hasn't done a great job portraying these characters strength levels. They seem to go from crazy powerful to barely able to fight from one scene to the next sometimes

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
In Guardians 1 they seemed pretty weak. Nothing really seemed to harm them in 2.

That's true. Gamorra goes from good fighter to crazy OP in 2.

Speaking of 2, it felt like the stakes revolved exclusively around Peter. They didn't do a good job involving the others into his arc or showcasing their strengths.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's true. Gamorra goes from good fighter to crazy OP in 2.

Speaking of 2, it felt like the stakes revolved exclusively around Peter. They didn't do a good job involving the others into his arc or showcasing their strengths.

I will say they did a nice job showing how durable Drax is. Coming in dragged behind the ship smashing into stuff left and right and he just laughs it off.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I guess? I love the Russo brothers but the Guardians don't have super powers they have guns. Well Groot has powers but he is basically a shaman in WoW powers wise

Gamora and Drax are very powerful. Drax is basically gaunranteed a badass solo moment against Thanos, as is Gamora for that matter

Drax and Gamora both have superhuman strength.

Let's not forget that the Russos changed Caps display of strength in Winter Soldier to make his portrayal more accurate (Super Serum) and Drax and Gamora are really strong.

tumblr_nnulxfr2FJ1th1illo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget that the Russos changed Caps display of strength in Winter Soldier to make his portrayal more accurate (Super Serum) and Drax and Gamora are really strong.

Gamora got upgraded in GotG 2. What did Drax do that showcased his strength? He seemed very durable but I don't remember him doing anything like holding a huge gun.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People will say all kinds of shit when they think they're about to die. Peter could still have those abilities if they want him to have them.

But we see him losing the powers. If not he would just fly away, instead to having to be saved.

I mean yeah they could retcon it, but atleast in GoTG2 it ends with Peter without powers.

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but it's also easily handwaved away. They could make him work to get some of it back. He doesn't need to be as powerful as Ego obviously.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The key thing is that he can under the right circumstances host powers. So it's possible if there's a narrative reason to power him back up there's justification for doing it.

I dunno if that'll happen in IW or A4, but the door is open to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Star-Lord isn't some sacred cow who can't be futzed with. Giving him powers is not on the level of, say, making Batman an undisciplined murdering psychopath. Is anybody really gonna give a shit if he pops up with new abilities?

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
Especially if his abilities are subtle, like being more resilient, or being able to hold an infinity stone. It's not outrageous stuff that changes his character completely, like making him fly or shoot lasers through his eyes, and serves a purpose to the plot.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Part of the appeal of someone like Star Lord is that he has no powers. That was what I liked about him in Abnett and lanning's cosmic run, for example. Non-powered guy with guns leading a team of enhanced individuals.

Gunn made sure to spell out very clearly what conditions were required for him to have powers. His and Ego's last interaction is Ego telling him he'll be like everyone else if he kills him and 'the light.'

File this one under requested fan service stuff like Cap's arc revolving around lifting Thor's hammer or Coulson showing up in IW/A4.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Where did the December 4th date come from, and who is corroborating it? Just trying to get a read on how legit it may or may not be.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
According to Ego. Villains lie all the time. Easy retcon.
Would rather defeat the purpose of Ego telling Starlord he'll be just like everyone else and getting the reply "What's so wrong about that?" to retcon it into Starlord having powers after all. He's fine being human like everyone else.

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't nobody going to the theatre to read comics.
No, you're just going to the movies to see movies based on comics.
But we're talking about movies
Based on comics.
I don't care how dumb comics are, this is film.
You do care because you're arguing in favor of keeping facets of comics you don't like out of comic based films.
Would rather defeat the purpose of Ego telling Starlord he'll be just like everyone else and getting the reply "What's so wrong about that?" to retcon it into Starlord having powers after all. He's fine being human like everyone else.
I don't disagree. Just saying it's easily doable.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
No, you're just going to the movies to see movies based on comics.

Based on comics.

You do care because you're arguing in favor of keeping facets of comics you don't like out of comic based films.

I don't disagree. Just saying it's easily doable.
Literally every film they've made has avoided dumb comic book bullshit like this so I don't understand why they would just retcon this.