• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB

Couldn't find a thread for this.

New comedy from Armando Ianucci, creator of Veep, Thick Of It ect, starring Hugh Laurie. Looks good fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a series or a movie? It's hard to tell. Feels a bit odd to be either given Armando's still on the press run for David Copperfield at the moment.

Still, I always appreciate stuff he does, so I'll keep my eyes open - and it was really nice for Children In Need to see him doing a skit back in front of the cameras again.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Is it a series or a movie? It's hard to tell. Feels a bit odd to be either given Armando's still on the press run for David Copperfield at the moment.

Still, I always appreciate stuff he does, so I'll keep my eyes open - and it was really nice for Children In Need to see him doing a skit back in front of the cameras again.

series according to Wikipedia. Some extra info regarding cast/characters:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I note about Herman Judd. There's a reasonably well-known snooker player:

gDmc9Oy.png

His name: Judd Trump.

I'm not saying Herman Judd is a Donald Trump analogue, but...

Edit: And look how golden Avenue 5 is...

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
We live in a (broken spaceship) society (full of rich a-holes)

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I note about Herman Judd. There's a reasonably well-known snooker player:

gDmc9Oy.png

His name: Judd Trump.

I'm not saying Herman Judd is a Donald Trump analogue, but...

Edit: And look how golden Avenue 5 is...
Do you think he could shoot someone in the middle of Avenue 5 and get away with it?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I love Josh Gadd and Hugh Laurie. There are so many good people in this and Veep is probably in my top 3 shows of all time.. so yeah, cannot wait. I'm here for Armando anything.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely unexpected but I'm into it.

Seems like a concept that would work better as a movie. But I'll go with it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
So in for ianucci. Dude is a comedy genius.

Veep plummeted so sharply when he left :(

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dug the premiere. There's some room for the show to grow, but some of the jokes fell flat a bit. I think Gadd will get old pretty fast though.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Good start, you can see some of that Iannuci snappy dialogue but not as fast and furious as Veep would lay it in. Laurie is awesome. Interested to see what they do with some of these characters.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
First episode was absolutely terrible. Not one second was even chuckle-worthy, let alone funny.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
The first episode greatly exceeded my tempered expectations. I have high hopes for the series after what I felt was a stroke start for a comedy. For some reason the pancakes line at the end absolutely killed us. It looks like they took a lot of care in the world building and building jokes that play off the unique environment of the show. Zach Woods was born for his role in this as well. His delivery constantly surprises me despite what could be a very one-note character.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Never been sold on Josh Gad, but the rest of the cast is all good by me. Looking forward to checking this out later tonight!

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It was one of the least funny comedy pilots I've ever seen. I really expected more from Iannucci.
I had high hopes for this series but I also agree with what's been said. Every single "joke" and situational comedic moment fell flat, which is really quite astounding considering the talent and budget.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely had issues, but once the accident happened and things picked up I felt it started finding its voice. Some solid talent in there, and the Customer Relations dude had some decent lines to the crowd he clearly does not care for. "If it's any consolation, he had very few loved ones"

It felt like they should have had episodes 1 and 2 show back to back to better thrust through the initial awkwardness, especially with that abrupt ending. I'm curious enough to watch more.