• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Very glad I ended up watching this after all the initial impressions on the first page. It's a good show, it's just not very US-friendly. It feels like a very low-key, very British comedy with a US budget and production values, and therefore feels a bit weird and out of place compared to every other HBO comedy, but my partner and I are solidly enjoying every episode so far. Surprised it's got a second season based on its reception but I ain't complaining.
As someone who is British and loves Ianucci's other work, I honestly disagree. I know comedy is subjective, but I don't think it's a lack of being US-Centric that's making it review badly.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Very glad I ended up watching this after all the initial impressions on the first page. It's a good show, it's just not very US-friendly. It feels like a very low-key, very British comedy with a US budget and production values, and therefore feels a bit weird and out of place compared to every other HBO comedy, but my partner and I are solidly enjoying every episode so far. Surprised it's got a second season based on its reception but I ain't complaining.
your mind is gonna be blown if you watch ianuccis other non-hbo,non american work and think the reason this show has got a bad reception is because its not "us-friendly"

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This show has been quietly brilliant. I don't really see anyone talking about it on my timeline and certainly in my day to day life, but I've really loved it so far. I couldn't believe they had a 3rd group of people go out the airlock.. that music that was playing during all of it too -- INTENSE!

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show has been quietly brilliant. I don't really see anyone talking about it on my timeline and certainly in my day to day life, but I've really loved it so far. I couldn't believe they had a 3rd group of people go out the airlock.. that music that was playing during all of it too -- INTENSE!

That was some of "if they really are about to do this this is now my favorite show on TV" escalation I've seen in awhile.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The airlock stuff was fucking gold.

This show has problems and is nowhere near the level of Veep but it's different and has moments of genuine brilliance.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The airlock scene was pretty good
It was very good for highlighting the stupidity of the masses when they get caught up in something.

The show is still too much of a mash between parts like that and then the dumb shit that the passenger liaison or the head of space program say and do though.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get the hate for this show, it's excellent. Episode 7 was probably one of the best so far. The passenger liaison guy one of the better characters.
I don't get how he would be in the position he is. That's my issue. Or like the random ads all over the ship where he's saying random crap that just wouldn't happen. Maybe that's the joke.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This didn't look appealing but after watching the first ep this is very much like Veep and I love it. Basically a bunch of psychopaths.

Edit: Alright watching more and this is a metaphor for America?

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The most significant problem with the show was that none of the characters, outside of maybe Billie, resemble actual human beings - not in the way they speak and not in the way they act - everyone is like a caricature of a cartoon. Even the basic premise of "Cruise Ship in Space" is thrown out of whack due to it not even resembling something that would actually ever exist in the real world with all the antagonizing PSA's and the fake crew consisting of actors.

Like, I get that it's supposed to be a social commentary but nothing about it feels believable so it falls completely flat.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I watched the first episode in January and was pretty impressed so I checked out Veep, ended up housing that series in like 5 days which became my favorite comedy series of all time. It boggles my mind that A5 is from the same creator. I don't hate the show but it's not particularly good imo.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it, mostly for the actors. I guess I also didn't have too high expectations as I have yet to watch Veep.

Some stuff is a bit weird though, like how the shuttle appears to be able to reach them in what looked like a one day trip. If that's possible why not send more shuttles with passenger capacity? Even if that takes forever it seems to be preferable to multiple years on the ship.

Maybe I missed some line about how they can do that supply trip only once?

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I really don't get the hate for this show, it's excellent. Episode 7 was probably one of the best so far. The passenger liaison guy one of the better characters.

The passenger liaison guy is the worst character and emblematic of what I hate about this show.

It has so much potential that is completely wasted on characters who are unlikable, which would be fine if they were funny but they aren't funny either. So it's just annoying characters having annoying dialog against a backdrop of amazing sci-fi which makes it all the more hard to watch because you can SEE the amazing show it could be if you squint hard enough.

I am not going to be lured in by the good buzz around the last episode, I'm done punishing myself by watching this show.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Well, the show is still terrible. The finale was not good. None of the throughlines are good. Veep is one of my favorite shows of all time and I just can't get over how bad this show is.

Dec 3, 2019
I really enjoyed it, mostly for the actors. I guess I also didn't have too high expectations as I have yet to watch Veep.

Some stuff is a bit weird though, like how the shuttle appears to be able to reach them in what looked like a one day trip. If that's possible why not send more shuttles with passenger capacity? Even if that takes forever it seems to be preferable to multiple years on the ship.

Maybe I missed some line about how they can do that supply trip only once?

They only had a 48 hour window to reach them with the supply ship.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I was kind of lukewarm on the show, but I'm rewatching it with my roommates and enjoying it a lot more the second time around.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The most significant problem with the show was that none of the characters, outside of maybe Billie, resemble actual human beings - not in the way they speak and not in the way they act - everyone is like a caricature of a cartoon. Even the basic premise of "Cruise Ship in Space" is thrown out of whack due to it not even resembling something that would actually ever exist in the real world with all the antagonizing PSA's and the fake crew consisting of actors.

Like, I get that it's supposed to be a social commentary but nothing about it feels believable so it falls completely flat.

Basically all of that is why I enjoyed the show. I can't imagine this being taken serious and being any good without it being played out in such an over the top cartoon matter. Everyone being more realistic would not work and force this show to be more of a disaster drama than a comedy.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I were kind of glad when the ep ended. There have been brief glimpses of something good but littered too sparsely amongst an floating field of space shit.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Basically all of that is why I enjoyed the show. I can't imagine this being taken serious and being any good without it being played out in such an over the top cartoon matter. Everyone being more realistic would not work and force this show to be more of a disaster drama than a comedy.

There are characters on Bob's Burgers and Rick and Morty that more closely resemble actual humans than the ones in Avenue 5.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
there is literally not one likable character on this show. everything is just fucknuts annoying or boring. Not to mention the logistics of having a luxury liner in space with no competent crew members aboard is just beyond comically impossible.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I finally got around to binging this

I thought it was decent. Had some pretty good laughs. Yeah everything was really cartoony but i guess thats the point.

The cast has been great but the script is really hit and miss.

Seeing Zack Woods and Hugh Laurie frisk each other slayed me

This is a great description. Also, thats a major thing i noticed the budget and production value seems wild

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've started watching this after I finished Veep, I'm running out of Iannucci to watch and I think that the humor is as good as his other shows. I think what's throwing people off is that this looks more like a proper show where the camerawork is stable, I guarantee you if they make it like his old stuff where it's a single-camera it will click for viewers of his old show.

I don't get Hugh Laurie from the stuff I've seen him before but this is the first show where I finally appreciate his acting.

Also I'd like to think of this show as Battlestar Galactica comedy horror. Hopefully the second season delivers as well.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've really enjoyed S2 but considering it feels like I'm the only one on the planet who has even heard of this show, I'm not holding out hope for S3 greenlight

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Really feels like HBO sent this out to die. I didn't even hear anything about it before realizing the season was almost done airing! I'm pretty sure I read they let the options expire on most of actors, so it might not even be possible to renew even if it did suddenly catch fire.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Really feels like HBO sent this out to die. I didn't even hear anything about it before realizing the season was almost done airing! I'm pretty sure I read they let the options expire on most of actors, so it might not even be possible to renew even if it did suddenly catch fire.

Covid really hurt things as the 1st season coming out right during the height of it, which screwed with production of S2, and then HBO sat on the finished product for about a year.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I very much enjoy this show. It's just such a bleak comedy. But yeah…I don't think it has a chance in hell of getting a 3rd season. I don't know a single other person that watches it.