• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems about right. We spent a bit less than that but between some money from my wife's parents and the wedding gifts we made about 10 grand and everyone had a blast and my wife loved how it turned out so worked out great.

Where I live it's basically expected you bring cash as a gift to a wedding so the cost is usually mitigated unless you go crazy and start spending way more than you're gonna get back.

Wedding cost shaming is really stupid IMO, people like what they like and it tends to be one of the most important days in your life so why not spend some money if you can. The industry does rip you off on a ton of stuff though, I'll admit that sucks but what are you gonna do.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Mine was $240 and had 2 people (us). I don't think we could have even managed to get 30 people to show up, let alone hundreds. Are you all inviting your coworkers and random people on the street?

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Weddings are indeed expensive as fuck, but I'd much rather know the median - I'm sure there's rich people that spend hundreds of thousands on their wedding. Misleading number

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was $240 and had 2 people (us). I don't think we could have even managed to get 30 people to show up, let alone hundreds. Are you all inviting your coworkers and random people on the street?
I have about 30 aunts and uncles alone and that doesn't begin counting my immediate family, my wife's immediate or extended family or our friends.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Our was a few k. Small wedding with parents in the flower garden at the park our first date was at. Invited everyone else to a big ass BBQ with games and shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
My brothers wedding was 7k but had 320 people. People need to stop overspending in my opinion for these things. Most of it was from food food and reserving a place for the reception.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The number one rule of having a nice wedding on a budget is to avoid hotels.
The best deals on venues tend to be city-owned places. They also don't usually have kitchen staff and food/drink packages, but that's really just another plus.
Also, don't go crazy on the dress. You can blow your entire budget on the stupid dress.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Pfft, spent maybe $500 total. Dress was like $50ish, courthouse fee was gifted to us by the judge (a friend), $80 for a tray of cream puffs, and the rest went to covering everybody's late lunch/early dinner ordering off the menu at a nearby restaurant.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ours was $2000 and had 100 people.

Anything over 10k is insane. You can do a ton with little money.

The problem is rationality goes out the window once its your kid

Most wedding have parents involved.
the eloping, fiscally conservative wedding some in here posted which I think is the best and awesome way of doing it, are outliers

most weddings which this survey has gone through, you can feel the parents trying their best to either show off the extravagance or literally earn Respect

As stated from my last post Desi weddings are notorious for save face/respectability. You have people go into fucking debt galore, not only to appease the child, but family, friends, community at large

Social Respect is a currency in the Desi world. Its called Izzuth (Respect in urdu). It can gain you many things but also takeaway. Weddings can be notorious. Izzuth currency during it is vital. Wrong moves of not inviting, not veing extravagant enough, or piss poor management all around, those things weight heavy but a
so carry on for generations, i shit you not.

Americans might find this really weird, but i have seen it for 3 generations, moving into my 4th, these social constructs can be a killer

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm so glad we didn't spend $ like that. We spent under $2000 for everything and that included clothes, hotel and airfare. And when we got back we took all out clothes back.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The study is obviously flawed. There's no logical reason to expect wedding costs to have increased by 63% in one year. Fwiw they note for the study the average size is 167 people.

One scam with weddings is the cake. They say you should keep some of the cake for the 1 year anniversary. I said get the hell outta here with that nonsense, I'm not over-paying for a cake just to stuff a big chunk of it in the freezer and have year old cake.

Honestly, the wedding cake is the least of your financial worries if you go the traditional wedding route, you're probably looking at like $500 and a lot of venues will give you the cake for "free" as part of the food package.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

explain time.
cousin is getting married. First male of the family, so big deal.

dads side:
my family, mom, me, baby bro, dad passed away

My uncle #1, him, wife, son
first daughter, hubby, 2 baby girls
second daughter, hubby, 1 baby girl

uncle #2
Him, wife, 2 daughter, 2 sons

uncle #3
Him, wife, 2 daughters, 1 son-in-law, 2 sons

uncle #4
Him, wife, 1 daughter, 4 sons

aunt#1
Her, hubby, 2 daughters, 2 son-in-laws, 2 sons

aunt #2
Her, hubby, son getting married, bro

thats just my dad side, his sisters son. Now the fucked up part his dad is my cousin, cause hes my moms older sister son. So now my moms whole family + his sibling and their family join the fray

then you have extended family through wedding relations that are necessary to be invited, then super close friends that may not be blood related but grew up like siblings for a long ass time

im telling ya, 23&me or ancestry would have a fucking field day with our families dna

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
We went 500ish on ours, including the marriage license plus the came for 15ish people.

Who has 200+ family members they want to see for their wedding?

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I asked her, "Would you like a big, fancy wedding, or a tiny wedding and an extra bedroom on the house?"

I got the ring just a few days ago.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking nuts. Spend that on an amazing vacation or on a payment for a house. Jesus.

I just got married in 2017 and I don't have a full accounting but I'd be surprised if we paid more than like $9k tops. We had about 80-90 people show up.

Last edited:

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting married next week, pushing $60k overall right now. Luckily parents are covering most of it but me and my fiancé are putting in close to $20k

I personally think it's a waste of money but coming from a south Asian family, it's means a lot of people and multiple events

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We went 500ish on ours, including the marriage license plus the came for 15ish people.

Who has 200+ family members they want to see for their wedding?

look at my post above yours lol

also remember most Desi weddings are Alcohol free, so the price is more exorbitant to where its being funneled

food alone per plate could be $50-75+ per plate

our custom to give the groom and bride is around $100+1 per couple, so a total of $202

if immediate, balloons up to $500+

Shit parents drop $1000+ on top of what the wedding bill is...

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
That's insane, but as my fiancé and I are planning our own wedding right now I can see how easy it is spend so much. I thought $15,000 would be an easy ceiling to keep it under but we're probably going to end up overshooting that. Stuff just costs so much, even the budget options and doing most stuff DIY, especially in the area we live in.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that. I'm having like a picnic in a park with some keys or some shit. I'll spend tens of thousands of dollars on my honeymoon thank you very much

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have three daughters.........

My dad also has 3 daughters, but had to pay for zero weddings. Two are lesbians and 1 went to the courthouse because she didn't want a wedding.

I don't think I'll be so lucky.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I got married at the court house with our parents,grandparents and my brother. My parents had a reception in our back yard for our extended families and friends, they rented a tent and we made the food. It was around $500 and my grandmother bought us a cake. It was a great decision, no stress, everyone had fun and it didn'take years to plan. 12 years later are still happily married too!

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I went to Vegas, had about 60 people come down with me.

I had an open bar (no shots) and the wedding was about 7000$ all in (with the bar tab being about 3000$ of that lol). It was a really fun night.

In hindsight, especially after being a part of a few weddings since then (almost 8 years ago) I would have done the exact same thing.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
My one small trick to save money on your wedding. Let your spouse invite all their friends and family but dont invite any of your. Splits the cost in half.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does that say about something being or not being a big deal?
look, whatever, it's a big deal to them. i'm fine with that. i was just asking for clarification that "first male of the family" indeed meant just that, instead of maybe meaning something else that i might actually agree is a big deal.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what do you mean by "first male of the family"? first male person of that generation to get married? that doesn't sound like a big deal.

yep the first male of our generation to get married

The female side already has 5 marriages strong and next generation already, us boys just starting to get hitched or even contemplate marriage

as stated might not sound like a big deal to most, but its a huge fucking deal in our family

its almost sounding of the horns, domino effect in play, cause once a new generation male gets hitched, the rest of the families push their sons, its the catalyst

Also thank fuck no first cousin marriage bullshit, all our weddings have been outside with fresh blood. Fuck that old ass custom of marrying within, fucking barbaric