• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Ours was $26K with 275 people. It would have been pretty hard for us to get under $20K with that many people. The industry is just bonkers with bullshit and upcharges.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither link says what kind of breakdown that is. What is usually the biggest expense? location? food?
And damn 275 people? I dont think I could name even 100 people in my life at the moment...

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I've made it very clear to my current GF that if we ever get married, it has to be a small event (ideally no more than 100 people). That's non-negotiable for me. I'm not willing to drop more than $15,000 on the whole thing and I certainly won't go into debt for it. Both of my parents have been married and divorced four times (a crazy stat, I know) so I'm making it a point to avoid their costly mistakes.

Honestly, I'd prefer to just elope and spend that money going on a two week vacation/honeymoon to some place nice like Hawaii.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ours was $26K with 275 people. It would have been pretty hard for us to get under $20K with that many people. The industry is just bonkers with bullshit and upcharges.

275 goddamn people? The biggest wedding I have been to was when my mom remarried and it was under 150. Past year I went to a ton of weddings but they were all somewhere between 25-50 people. Holy balls

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
if you have 275 people at your wedding that just means the parents took over/commandeered the event so i hope they were paying for it.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
What a waste of money
Agreed. My wife and I got married at the courthouse and had a fantastic party at the park with all our family and friends afterwards. Not only was it a fraction of the cost of a big-nonsense wedding, but we and all our guests actually enjoyed it. Unheard of, right?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Planning one right now, going to do an all inclusive resort thing in Cancun. 10K is looking like the highest I'll go which isn't bad since it'll be a Wedding/Honey Moon/Vacation

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Yeah we're having a small wedding at a local park with catering from a 3 star restaurant with only close friends and family and we good.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. My wife and I got married at the courthouse and had a fantastic party at the park with all our family and friends afterwards. Not only was it a fraction of the cost of a big-nonsense wedding, but we and all our guests actually enjoyed it. Unheard of, right?
Thats what my gf and I are doing too. Neither of us want to spend thousands and thousands for a wedding.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
44K.. that's like 10 long holidays abroad for two people, yikes. I'm getting married in a year or so and I couldn't even afford 44K if I wanted to, that's almost as much as we make in an entire year. I'm not getting myself in 5+ years worth of debt when I could be paying off the mortgage quicker or have ten epic holidays with the missus.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that's one of the reasons I'm never getting married. I debate with myself for hours over something that is £10 I think I'd probably kill myself if I had to spend £10,000

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
275 goddamn people? The biggest wedding I have been to was when my mom remarried and it was under 150. Past year I went to a ton of weddings but they were all somewhere between 25-50 people. Holy balls

I worked on one that was multi-day, with around 750 people on two of the four days.
By coincidence we stopped at a business owned by the bride's family that week. They said that most people there have known the bride since she was born and none were invited. Also, two-thirds of the guests were people that the bride and groom had never met.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All expenses included, about $48K. Don't regret a penny.

In the end, didn't actually spend a penny, either. Profited a little bit.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I have no intention of getting married, but if I ever change my mind it'll be a piss-up at a local pub for a few hundred quid.

The thought of spending £30k on a wedding when it could pay off like 25% of a house where I live just feels...wrong.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That's a pretty good joke.

And I don't get the whole "invite literally everyone at least somewhat related to you" thing with weddings, why do I want some guy I've never met/met once at my wedding?

my wife & i each have a parent with 6+ siblings, which means a lot of cousins

it's a beautiful thing to have a big family all over the world but we are rare in that we have such good relationships across both extended families

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread people won't understand how cultures, expectations, traditions, family sizes, etc are drastically different and will wonder why weddings can have so many people or cost so much money.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I was following the series of links to find the actual poll results and eventually ended up at a page which said the average cost of a wedding in 2018 was between 30-35k 🤔. I'm curious what they include in that cost. Are they including the rings? Etc

Oct 27, 2017
In this thread people won't understand how cultures, expectations, traditions, family sizes, etc are drastically different and will wonder why weddings can have so many people or cost so much money.
I'm Mexican, I know weddings, and I know that most people cant afford them but they do it anyway because I'll be damned if I dont have the biggest one.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Spent about 8,000 for a 200 + people wedding. I probably got back all of it plus some in mostly cash gifts.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
About $2000 for around 200 people for ours. Was still way too much money lol