• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 15, 2017
Skövde
In what professional field can a industry person be awarded for their work, be broadcast around the globe in receiving the award (surrounded by industry leaders of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft), while that same person has publicly announced discrimination as a de facto part of their work - due to a seemingly prospect of "force majeure".

Artists, musicians, actors, entertainers, politicians; every occupation view-able in the public eye deals in matters ailing our awardee.
In these other fields, this subject haven't even surfaced. Is it due to professionalism? Adulthood? A conscious center of core ethical values? Or simply a non-factor?

It is, frankly, unseemly for an industry which already have a problematic image regarding diversity to be awarding people who actively discriminate in their work-field.

tl:dr (It should be noted that the biggest streamer "ninja" was awarded at a global event for being the best content creator; and that he possesses a discriminatory work ethic that wouldn't fly in any other industry, never the less being awarded) .

I find it deeply problematic. It's assuredly disturbing.

And I can't let it fly without resistance.

---------------

- "I don't play with female gamers".

- Well, here's an award!

-------------

...what am I missing?

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Imagine if George Clooney came out and said he wouldn't work with any female actor.

It's gross and really shows how far the industry has to mature

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, I sure do. Made me somewhat cranky the last few days (bad enough I snapped at users on this forum and got a deserved warning, even) - and it's very common in gaming, too. Esports teams have similar attitudes - that these are meant as boys clubs is often outright intended.

I suppose it has to do with the audience - a regular movie goer doesn't freak out at a female actor existing somewhere on screen, but gamers do freak out not just at female characters, but also at women playing games.

That...doesn't make it better, however. Kinda makes it worse, because attitudes like ninja's reinforce this, since they create a perception where gaming is exclusively a thing for men, as women only exist as objects of controversy and villification.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how to get through to Geoff, because let's be honest, Ninja is one of the biggest content creators in the world. It's bigger than Geoff and the Game Awards. I was randomly recommended a video by JonTron (ick) and I saw it had over 5 million views. What. The. Fuck. How are these people even popular? I wish Geoff would acknowledge the issues that his relationships with these people create. I sadly don't see it happening though.

Oct 27, 2017
Roy, Utah
Ninja getting the award was definitely the worst moment of the show, imo. Gotta keep that streak of "trending gamer of the year sucks, actually" streak alive, I guess. (Greg Miller excluded)

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I'm not sure how to get through to Geoff, because let's be honest, Ninja is one of the biggest content creators in the world. It's bigger than Geoff and the Game Awards. I was randomly recommended a video by JonTron (ick) and I saw it had over 5 million views. What. The. Fuck. How are these people even popular? I wish Geoff would acknowledge the issues that his relationships with these people create. I sadly don't see it happening though.

"How are these people even popular?"
Kids and teenagers.

@OP i completely agree. Ninja being nominated and winning an award for the "best content creator" is really tragic and problematic for this industry.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
is this de javu or havent this been discussed here once already??

something about he just being married and wanting to avoid rumors or something on those lines?

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was randomly recommended a video by JonTron (ick) and I saw it had over 5 million views. What. The. Fuck. How are these people even popular?

Jontron is popular because:

A lot people who still watch his content don't know about his views

Some who do don't care

And then there are some who do know, do care, but are somehow able to separate the content from the creator's views

—————————

I don't think the incident was broadcast widely enough outside of enthusiast forums and a few articles on a few websites.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Ive been staunchly opposed to this since it was announced. To not only accept but praise and glorify someone like is disgusting and not only shows how complicit the industry is towards this type of behavior but that its actively celebrated and glorified.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
With an award like "Best content creator", quality should go over quantity. It shouldn't just go to the "biggest". Who cares if a content creator has 300 subscribers or millions of subscribers? It shouldn't impact your chances to be declared the best.

Imagine if other media worked like this, where the biggest and most popular were rewarded for being the biggest and most popular. It would delegitimize the entire idea of awards.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
"best content creator" not best person, I see it more as a reward to the content that is created instead of the person. No idea who the guy is but if he won I'm sure it was due to the content her produces.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Children. The answer is children. They don't know the context or prior offenses. Even if they did their cognitive development means it was impossible to think critically of the creator.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember him saying he worries that if he plays with a woman then that person will be scrutinised by his fanbase and the community will obsess that they're somehow 'involved' which will disrupt her and his life, especially considering he has a wife.

I don't know how much input, if any at all, she had on his decision.

Him wanting to avoid relationship drama, even manufactured stuff by his rabid fan base, doesn't seem that big of a deal.

You're right that it wouldn't fly anywhere else though.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geoff didn't choose the nominees and the winner. 60+ members of gaming press did.

Geoff bears some responsibility. Acting like he is completely divorced from the process and didn't invite both sides types like Boogie is not going to fool me.

Because that's not the whole story, reading that without any context makes it sound like he could be some basement dwelling incel that hates women.

Here's the context, the toxic shitheads that are his chat, couldn't handle him streaming with women. So instead of addressing it, he decided to bypass the problem by setting a poor example. He's also a toxic shithead himself. That good enough?

what's inherently wrong with not streaming with women?

Women streamers face tons of harassment for their gender alone. Women streamers constantly have to deal with this. Ninja being one of the biggest streamers in the world could have used his platform to inform people and set an example that he wasn't going to stand for that type of attitude in his channel. Instead he enabled it.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't stream with women players. How is that twisting the narrative?

what he said was stupid - I don't think he's sexist. People are running with what he said and interpreting it the way they want.

I do think it's fucked up that he hasn't come out and corrected it.

I also concede that I have a bias because i went to HS with the guy and he never came across as a sexist.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what does your girlfriend have to worry about if you are just playing games with a woman online?
Some people can be irrationally jealous of their partner having any sort of contact or communication with people of the opposite gender. It's not healthy, but it's surprisingly common.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
what's inherently wrong with not streaming with women?
the issue is that ninja has stated he refuses to stream with women altogether, regardless of who they are.

He doesn't want stream with me either and im not a woman. HIs business. Whats the big deal? is he doing for pursuant to some inherent bias to the gender or for some other reason?
this is a false equivalence. he doesn't play with you because presumably you're not a big twitch streamer - but if you were, would you be okay with him making an excuse to refuse to play with you because of your skin colour? your sexual preference? he's refusing to play with women because they're women, using some weird 'jealousy' excuse.

Last edited:

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
me like a year ago: hmmm, i wonder why so many female users never post on the actual forums?
me right now, reading this thread: Ah

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what he said was stupid - I don't think he's sexist. People are running with what he said and interpreting it the way they want.

I do think it's fucked up that he hasn't come out and corrected it.

I also concede that I have a bias because i went to HS with the guy and he never came across as a sexist.

Did he have blue hair then? (People do change)

I'd also say, it doesn't matter if he's sexist, what he's doing is sexist. People getting hung up on labels instead of the actions are missing the point.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These two things are not equatable in the slightest.

They are. Streaming is his job. Just because he's self employed, doesn't change much. It's like an actor refusing scripts that have women in it. It's a terrible sexist attitude made worse because he has millions of people looking up to him

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing sexism, Trolling over a series of posts, Accumulated infractions.
the issue is that ninja has stated he refuses to stream with women altogether.

Saying it negatively affects his personal relationships. Unless he's driven by sexism I dunno what the big deal is. I understand dogging someone for doing something shitty by for not doing what you want them to? I just don't get it.
And trust me. This isn't even a hill I wanna die on for a guy with hair like that lol.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Some people can be irrationally jealous of their partner having any sort of contact or communication with people of the opposite gender. It's not healthy, but it's surprisingly common.
The point IMHO is that Ninja shouldn't be receiving acclaim as a "content creator" if he's choosing not to stream with half the population for whatever dumb reason.

He wants to profit from an incredibly successful career while bearing zero responsibility for the stereotype-reinforcing effect his actions and attitudes will have on millions of impressionable kids.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
They are. Streaming is his job. Just because he's self employed, doesn't change much. It's like an actor refusing scripts that have women in it. It's a terrible sexist attitude made worse because he has millions of people looking up to him
Myeah, no. The fact that "streaming" is his job actually changes everything when trying to equate workplace discrimination and this dude refusing to stream with women out of apparent concern for his marriage.