• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I presented a counter-point to her argument, And exampled your post. Im not here to "attack" "silence" or "talk over" women. Im as genuinely interested in the topic. Its a discussion board. Im discussing a topic.

My original post to the "no wonder theres barely amy women here" was a defense of women on Era. It got twisted somehow lol.

Im not here having bad faith discussion and attacking people. Im discussing.

Yeah, my intention was to highlight her post and I got called a mansplainer and accused of silencing. Now Im kinda lost on how Im even supposed to be involved in the discussion other than not at all. I just got called "part of the problem" while not recieving any counter-discussion on the point both her and I made.
Look, if you aren't arguing in bad faith, then you need to realize that psychowave can disagree with the female streamers that are cool with Ninja's position all she likes, because she's a woman. The problem is men here dismissing her because those streamers feel the way they do.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Whether or not he wants it, being the face of gaming comes with some big fucking responsibilities, and he's letting his fans and the entire community down by not striving to be as inclusive as possible. I hope he comes to his senses at some point about this.

Sea

Oct 27, 2017
pennsylvania
It was frustrating that he won, clearly his views on women and uses of slurs should disqualify him from being awarded, but to twist the knife, geoff had him present an award as well, further endorsing him. ninja is gross, geoff is gross.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
People can be jealous and it's up to the other person whether they tolerate said jealousy within their relationship. If a woman wishes her boyfriend to not speak with other women that's insanely dumb and unhealthy, but him following her dumb wish isn't misogynistic. Or do you think her having these dumb wishes is misogynistic? If you want to argue that jealousy is inherently misogynistic go head, but in my book your analogy still doesn't make a lick of sense because jealousy has fuck all to do with racism.
The difference lies in the intention behind these wishes.

A woman not wanting her boyfriend to talk with other girls? Jealousy/Trust issues.
A dude telling his girlfriend to not talk with black dudes? Just fucking racist.

That's a pretty clear line between those two, if you ask me.
just because you don't intend to be racist, it doesn't mean you get a free pass when you do something racist
same applies here

it's weirdly telling that people are so quick to point out how it's not comparable and would be so much worse if he weren't streaming with black people to please his wife. you all realize women are people too, right? what's it matter which arbitrary class of people he won't work with because of his wife? the point is the end result is him discriminating against an entire class of people

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I think there are far worse people in this industry to worry about than a fairly clean streamer with a weird (read: stupid, sexist, uncalled for) Mike Pence issue. I have a bigger issue with Boogie and his "both sides" bullshit.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Repeatedly excusing sexism and exclusionary rhetoric; dismissing concerns surrounding sexism
Look, if you aren't arguing in bad faith, then you need to realize that psychowave can disagree with the female streamers that are cool with Ninja's position all she likes, because she's a woman. The problem is men here dismissing her because those streamers feel the way they do.
Discussing counter-points does not equall dismissing. Ive not once dismissed her. All shes done is call me things and shout ME down. I even stated that I WANTED to hear her out on her disagreement of your (and my) position. She hasnt done that. I feel like my interaction with her has gone well beyond 2 or three pages ago.

Sea

Oct 27, 2017
pennsylvania
I think there are far worse people in this industry to worry about than a fairly clean streamer with a weird (read: stupid, sexist, uncalled for) Mike Pence issue. I have a bigger issue with Boogie and his "both sides" bullshit.
it's not a race to find the worst, we're talking about ninja and geoff here. you can think others are worse too.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if the dude doesn't "trust" black dudes?

It's fucking racist, but it's just as logical as giving in to not trusting working with the opposite sex.

Or, again, what about gay people? What if your wife doesn't trust/has jealousy issues with you working with gay men? How far do we accept silly behavior. Not only accept, but apparently think leaning into that behavior through discrimination is fine.

Like, people have jealousy. That's fine. People can have negative emotions. I don't care. You shouldn't care. I sympathize. But when those negative emotions cascade to discrimination then that's past a line for me.
So who is being misogynistic in this instance?
The woman who doesn't trust her boyfriend? Because that's what you are arguing right now and it doesn't make much sense to me.
Trust in a relationship is not the same as "trust" towards other races or a different sexual orientation, which are always based on prejudice. Which should have already been obvious the moment you had to put in in quotation marks. I really don't get why you are hellbent on trying to equate the two.

You should care about the intentions of jealousy and blatant racism or homophobia not being the same. At all.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this is a tough one for me, if he genuinely thinks that this could negatively affect his relationship then i can see why hes decided this

but when it comes at the cost of exclusion, how much leeway should that reason be allotted

in a normal work environment almost none, but when you're self employed it seems different, but that doesn't make it any less shitty for the people being excluded

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just because you don't intend to be racist, it doesn't mean you get a free pass when you do something racist
same applies here

it's weirdly telling that people are so quick to point out how it's not comparable and would be so much worse if he weren't streaming with black people to please his wife. you all realize women are people too, right? what's it matter which arbitrary class of people he won't work with because of his wife? the point is the end result is him discriminating against an entire class of people
I'm not arguing this for the sake of this guy, because it was already made clear his girlfriend didn't wish for any of his behaviour towards women so I'm not sure where you are going with this.
"you all realize women are people too, right" lmao. No I was not aware. Thank you for reminding me. ffs.
Maybe don't jump in the middle of a discussion, just assume shit and then on top of that go with this utterly patronizing nonsense, acting like you have to explain the simplest of terms to others.
Try to find some other way to make yourself feel better please. Or at least some other poster on this forum. I'm not having that shit.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
This is something that needs to stop. Dismissing peoples issues with "there's always someone worse" no just stop.

He's cut out an entire gender and let his entire base know that's ok. That's a big deal. And a lot of this thread beyond a few people haven't even gone into his usage of the N word yet.

Boogie is no doubt an absolute piece of garbage. But you've couldn't made a post about him without being dismissive of others.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing sexism and exclusionary rhetoric
In what professional field can a industry person be awarded for their work, be broadcast around the globe in receiving the award (surrounded by industry leaders of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft), while that same person has publicly announced discrimination as a de facto part of their work - due to a seemingly prospect of "force majeure".

Uh, I think this is kind of dramatic given the reasons he stated for not streaming with female gamers isn't descrimantory or offering any level of prejudice towards any women...it's all about the troll nature of the public that supports him and game culture in general. I'm not sure why you would want to attack someone that doesn't want to get caught up in the online drama of people making up lies and derailing two or more careers in the process...which most of you know would very likely happen.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
this is a tough one for me, if he genuinely thinks that this could negatively affect his relationship then i can see why hes decided this

but when it comes at the cost of exclusion, how much leeway should that reason be allotted

I'm right there with you on this one.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm not argguing this for the sake of this guy, because it was already made clear his girlfriend didn't wish for any of his behaviour towards women so I'm not sure where you are going with this.
"you all realize women are people too, right" lmao. No I was not aware. Thank you reminding me. ffs.
Maybe don't jump in the middle of a discussion and just assume shit and then on top of that go with this utterly patronizing nonsense.
I know his wife didn't ask for it, but he's the one hiding behind the "I don't want it to cause issues with my wife" as a reason.
and my point is that people are acting as if it were black people instead of women, it's somehow be so much worse. the end result is him refusing to work with entire segment of people based on their gender(or race or sexual preference etc)

his wife being jealous is equally as arbitrary a reason as her being racist. it doesn't matter what the reason is.

edit: and this is without getting into the context of how women are treated in the industry and gaming culture

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this way of seeing things is that it's too limited. But it's pretty common on resetera, you read a thread title one day, engage in it, and you make the mistake of thinking that this particular issue defines the subject in the eyes of everybody. It reminds me of "Pepe being an alt right symbol" issue. People on this forum just wouldn't budge in thinking that frog was highly problematic and shouldn't be used because their only exposure to it was through articles defining it during a very specific point in time (the US election). Ignoring that nearly every fandoms, every website are using them, from the deepest shithole to the most progressive people, and that it had long been reappropriated by everyone. But to a lot of resetera, it was still a very simple issue, Pepe is racist because of those two months they heard about it two years ago.

Ninja is a similar matter. For a lot of people here, Ninja is the guy that won't work with women, and sang the n-word in a rap song that one time. This is what defines him. And everytime he's mentioned on resetera, we always come back to this as the default. But you have to understand that 99% of people have a very different view of the guy. As controversial and stupid that particular issue is, the truth is that it barely defines him. Ninja is the guy that blew up like no gamer ever did, went on the mainstream, huge american talk shows with positivity and healthy message to kids everywhere. He's well spoken, charming, and doesn't scare parents away. Even is his ridiculous fame he stays humble. For a lot of people, this is what defines him. For others, it's the daily kid friendly streams that entertain hundreds of thousands of people, for others it's his charity work. As controversial as some of his decision has been, for a lot of people his public persona, his way of presenting himself and his work largely tip the scale towards a net positive against that one headline that was spread this one time.

I'm not saying resetera should forgive him for not wanting to play with women. If you think this is stupid, harmful, or a dealbreaker, I think it's valid. Myproblem, which is typical with this website, is that sometimes one issue can completely take over any discussion to the point we might refuse to even acknowledge the big picture. The Ninja big picture is so much bigger than this issue that to always bringing it back to this no matter what he does is akin to putting your head in the sand or living in a bubble. It's refusing to understand the whole situation. We are stuck on this issue while the whole world moved on.
Couldn't have said it better really.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yep

TC is on point.

Geoff Keighley I hope you learn from this. You are in a position to use your platform and influence for the greater good. Do the right thing.
I think Geoff understands that to a degree if I could conjecture. Theres a reason that Pewdiepie wasnt on the stage. And sure, maybe he invited Boogie with a ticket. He wasnt on stage, and I hardly think Geoff paid his airfare for it. Geoff wouldnt even pay the airfare for the tickets he was giving out.

So Im guessing that Geoff understands the degrees of things. And that maybe Ninja doesnt exist in the same zip code as:

"Here to present the award for Best _____- Rich from ReviewTechUSA!"

Boogie is a goddamn shitstain and Geoff should absolutely not invite him, and should absolutely get shit for it. But its as if he doesnt need the internet to dictate what these degrees are.

Also- I see Geoff catch a lot of heat for the Trending Gamer awards, when all of the hated people that got the award (pre-ninja) got villified AFTER the fact. Its a strange criticism.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018

It's so obviously sexist, harmful, dumb and lazy. I don't even know why we need to have this discussion. Just not streaming with female streamers is just ignoring the sexism inherent in his community. With how many subscribers he's also a role model for others, especially considering how young his fan base probably is.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know his wife didn't ask for it, but he's the one hiding behind the "I don't want it to cause issues with my wife" as a reason.
and my point is that people are acting as if it were black people instead of women, it's somehow be so much worse. the end result is him refusing to work with entire segment of people based on their gender(or race or sexual preference etc)

his wife being jealous is equally as arbitrary a reason as his being being racist. it doesn't matter what the reason is.
I never acted like that so why did you quote me?

Someone tolerating his wife's wishes is not the same as just having those views on his own. The end result is the same but the reasoning and motivation behind it isn't, because it's a woman having that unhealthy wish. If a black dude told his white girlfriend to not speak with other, specifically, black dudes I would call that racist as well. But it's the dude who would be racist first and foremost (and utterly dumb), not the gf for adhering to his wishes.
If you really think these things are one and the same I can't help you. Context does matter.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
So who is being misogynistic in this instance?
The woman who doesn't trust her boyfriend? Because that's what you are arguing right now and it doesn't make much sense to me.

I didn't use that word. I said it was discriminatory. Who's discriminating? Well, Ninja is.

Trust in a relationship is not the same as "trust" towards other races or a different sexual orientation, which are always based on prejudice.

Trust in a relationship is based on outdated notions that men and women can't exist together without wanting to fuck or something stupid like that. In any case, I'm not sure how working with a gay man that might find you attractive is so ridiculously different to a jealous significant other than working with a woman. Why are these so different to you? So if your SO is jealous you might have a man attracted to you at work that's prejudice but if she's jealous you might have dinner with a lady then that's just fine?

Which should have already been obvious the moment you had to put in in quotation marks. I really don't get why you are hellbent on trying to equate the two.

Because both would lead to discrimination and one is hand waved as totally fine. Or actually most defenders seem to think it's ridiculous, outdated and stupid, but hey we should totally still discriminate because of it!

I kind of feel the whole conversation stems off the feeling that women are irrational beings and we just aren't able to rationally talk to them about these things should they come up. I dunno, the whole goddamned thing feels outdated as fuck. Grow up. Your significant other will have to fucking work with the opposite sex. That's just reality unless they just don't work at all.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
The bolded really makes me sad and i wish it wasn't so. But i really don't blame any woman that wants no part of this nonsense.
the saddest part is that ERA is actually infinitely better than, like, every other gaming website (as far as i know) when it comes to treating women, and a lot of women still don't want to post here despite knowing about the website or even having accounts. outside of ERA, i know quite a few women on twitter who don't bother talking about video games outside of their circle of mutuals. and why would they bother? that's the only way to guarantee they don't have to deal with misogynistic crap when doing something that should be fun.

i'm getting off-topic here, but the way men are treated in female-dominated hobbies is nothing like this. men who want to get into makeup are openly welcomed by the women in those communities, for example. on youtube, men whose channels revolve around makeup can easily keep up with their female counterparts, with many of them reaching millions of subscribers (and without having to rely on sexual appeal for it :^) ). and this is a hobby that is way more heavily gendered than gaming! as someone who observes both communities closely, the difference in how the "minority" is treated is dizzying.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Even if we all somehow agree that Ninja's stance wasn't misoginistic and harmful (it was both), are we just gonna ignore that the dude just cracked out the n word as well? And if we go further and also give a pass to that (many people will), should we also ignore Keighley's endorsement of the complete shitbag called Boogers? And this relates to this year alone. The VGAs have been a constant stage for bigots to be awarded and celebrated for 5 straight years. Which is what this thread is about. This misdirection about Ninja's wife's wishes and imaginary evil coworkers is just that, misdirection.

The issue here is that the VGAs are a perfect encapsulation of this industry: women and minorities don't matter for shit unless there's a angle for PR to exploit them at any given time. And after that is done with, into the silent box they go again, there's bigots to sell games to.
This is a great post from top to bottom. Honestly, if I were Alucard_DCLXVI_ I'd consider quoting it in the first post... if only to prevent comments like this:
ninja again? isnt he just respecting his wife's wish?

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Discussing counter-points does not equall dismissing. Ive not once dismissed her. All shes done is call me things and shout ME down. I even stated that I WANTED to hear her out on her disagreement of your (and my) position. She hasnt done that. I feel like my interaction with her has gone well beyond 2 or three pages ago.
I honestly don't know what your disagreement is with her then? I think she shares the opinion that women's voices here shouldn't be drowned out by men's?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think we are in a position to judge someones social life. If Ninjas wife asked that of him it might be because she's insecure about herself. Last thing we need is a YouTube video of her explaining the situation. As long as they have a happy marriage that's enough. It can be quite stressful to be with someone who's way more successful then you will ever be.

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't have said it better really.
The post, while it contains lots of truth about how forums tend to operate vs the rest of the world, ironically points out the issue a lot of people have with Ninja regarding the situation.

Sure, 99% of the people that know him may either not know/care about his stance and have "moved on" but therein lies the problem; all that does if fuel exclusivity against marginalized groups within this industry and society at large.

Just this week we had Kevin Hart step down from hosting the oscars because of his tone deaf approach to homophobic things he's said in the past and he tried to lean on the whole "we've moved on" angle and it didn't work.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
What?! The like Hollywood, which covered for rapist of all types for decades and still does.
Also, almost no one stays married in Hollywood because he or she falls in love with someone they are working with. If there is one example of Ninjas wife being right in being afraid it's Hollywood.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this way of seeing things is that it's too limited. But it's pretty common on resetera, you read a thread title one day, engage in it, and you make the mistake of thinking that this particular issue defines the subject in the eyes of everybody. It reminds me of "Pepe being an alt right symbol" issue. People on this forum just wouldn't budge in thinking that frog was highly problematic and shouldn't be used because their only exposure to it was through articles defining it during a very specific point in time (the US election). Ignoring that nearly every fandoms, every website are using them, from the deepest shithole to the most progressive people, and that it had long been reappropriated by everyone. But to a lot of resetera, it was still a very simple issue, Pepe is racist because of those two months they heard about it two years ago.

Ninja is a similar matter. For a lot of people here, Ninja is the guy that won't work with women, and sang the n-word in a rap song that one time. This is what defines him. And everytime he's mentioned on resetera, we always come back to this as the default. But you have to understand that 99% of people have a very different view of the guy. As controversial and stupid that particular issue is, the truth is that it barely defines him. Ninja is the guy that blew up like no gamer ever did, went on the mainstream, huge american talk shows with positivity and healthy message to kids everywhere. He's well spoken, charming, and doesn't scare parents away. Even is his ridiculous fame he stays humble. For a lot of people, this is what defines him. For others, it's the daily kid friendly streams that entertain hundreds of thousands of people, for others it's his charity work. As controversial as some of his decision has been, for a lot of people his public persona, his way of presenting himself and his work largely tip the scale towards a net positive against that one headline that was spread this one time.

I'm not saying resetera should forgive him for not wanting to play with women. If you think this is stupid, harmful, or a dealbreaker, I think it's valid. Myproblem, which is typical with this website, is that sometimes one issue can completely take over any discussion to the point we might refuse to even acknowledge the big picture. The Ninja big picture is so much bigger than this issue that to always bringing it back to this no matter what he does is akin to putting your head in the sand or living in a bubble. It's refusing to understand the whole situation. We are stuck on this issue while the whole world moved on.

Agreed with all of this. Well said.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the saddest part is that ERA is actually infinitely better than, like, every other gaming website (as far as i know) when it comes to treating women, and a lot of women still don't want to post here despite knowing about the website or even having accounts. outside of ERA, i know quite a few women on twitter who don't bother talking about video games outside of their circle of mutuals. and why would they bother? that's the only way to guarantee they don't have to deal with misogynistic crap when doing something that should be fun.

i'm getting off-topic here, but the way men are treated in female-dominated hobbies is nothing like this. men who want to get into makeup are openly welcomed by the women in those communities, for example. on youtube, men whose channels revolve around makeup can easily keep up with their female counterparts, with many of them reaching millions of subscribers (and without having to rely on sexual appeal for it :^) ). and this is a hobby that is way more heavily gendered than gaming! as someone who observes both communities closely, the difference in how the "minority" is treated is dizzying.

I imagine i would do the same were i a woman. It's not worth the aggravation. Especially online. I do have a suggestion as an alternative or addition to Era; Waypoint. It's a more inclusive space, i feel. I love Era, but a lot of shitty stuff that flies in here wouldn't fly in there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking strictly of saying they won't work with women. You can't really get away with that these days. And yeah there is rape and stuff everywhere, including video games.
He explained his reasoning. I can see why it's controversial and divisive. Heck, I disagree with it myself. But there seems to a plurality of opinion here. Some say because it involves his relationship it's fine.

Also he's a streamer. Streaming is usually a solitary profession and a rather new profession. It's not collaborative like acting. It also it seems to be in the context of his Twitch channel as well.

Hopefully, he can change his mind in time.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

It's so obviously sexist, harmful, dumb and lazy. I don't even know why we need to have this discussion. Just not streaming with female streamers is just ignoring the sexism inherent in his community. With how many subscribers he's also a role model for others, especially considering how young his fan base probably is.

Bloody hell his reasoning isn't that he's afraid of "a few little rumours" or "I can't control my feelings" or that he's gonna get dumped, what is wrong with you people.

He's not doing it because doing so means that tens of thousands of idiots online are going to be constantly harassing his family and all their media with these fantasies and other such upsetting things.

The way some of you are coming up with "well they obviously have an unhealthy relationship if they're threatened by something so small lul", you're start to sound like these degenerate Twitch viewers you hate so much.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't use that word. I said it was discriminatory. Who's discriminating? Well, Ninja is.
I thought we were speaking in hypotheticals but I guess we are back at Ninja now. Where our whole conversation doesn't make much sense to begin with because his SO never had these wishes.

Trust in a relationship is based on outdated notions that men and women can't exist together without wanting to fuck or something stupid like that. In any case, I'm not sure how working with a gay man that might find you attractive is so ridiculously different to a jealous significant other than working with a woman. Why are these so different to you? So if your SO is jealous you might have a man attracted to you at work that's prejudice but if she's jealous you might have dinner with a lady then that's just fine?
Because with one there might be a situation where one could cheat on the SO and with the nother there isn't. That's really not that hard of a distinction to make. Also I didn't know we were talking about me now? I actually would understand why my SO would get jealous of an attractive gay coworker because I'm bi, but that's not the situation we are discussing right now.
If my SO would have something against a a gay coworker because he's gay that would be homophic, a.k.a having prejudice against gay people. If she's jealous because I have dinner with a coworker who happens to be a woman it's not because she has prejudice against her own gender, it's because she doesn't trust me. This is all hypothetical by the way.
Still not sure where you're going with this.

Because both would lead to discrimination and one is hand waved as totally fine. Or actually most defenders seem to think it's ridiculous, outdated and stupid, but hey we should totally still discriminate because of it!
I never argued that we should do it. I argue against how racism and jealousy are the same thing. Which you think they are, because they both result in discrimination. I think that is indeed ridiculous.

I kind of feel the whole conversation stems off the feeling that women are irrational beings and we just aren't able to rationally talk to them about these things should they come up. I dunno, the whole goddamned thing feels outdated as fuck. Grow up. Your significant other will have to fucking work with the opposite sex. That's just reality unless they just don't work at all.
Ooooh so now I have to grow up. Got it.
Jealously isn't something exclusive to women. I'm not the one who thinks that way. Jealousy in relationships is normal. Most people can't trust the other 100%. Maybe that's human nature and it doesn't really matter if it's outdated. I stopped relationships before because I couldn't handle the jealousy all the damn time without me giving them the slightest reason to be jealous in the first place. But I can't pretend like I wasn't jealous sometimes either. It's just how human beings in a modern society work.
Maybe we need different coping mechanisms with it (disclaimer: Ninja's sucks) but if you think jealousy as a thing is outdated well...cool I guess. Off to an utopia where nobody has trust issues.

Last edited:

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Didn't he say it was due to him not wanting rumors being spread or some shit like that? Like he'd just rather not deal with it so he was getting out in front of the problem before it became one?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note I've always found that Samsung commercial with Ninja where the girl is called up by him to play on his team hilarious in a bad way. Like but he would never play with you...?

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I think giving Ninja an award is absolutely disgusting. My belief is that it is just pandering to his fanbase in an attempt to capture his viewing audience for future Game Awards shows.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow literally defending a misogynistic racist like ninja. Well done. Ninja is racist for using the N word, he's sexist for not promoting Women streamers and refusing to stream with Women. These are factual. Stop defending him. ResetERA gets outraged because often we're the only people that give a shit. THis isn't an opinion: it's factual. ResetERA is always correct to be outraged. We're a light shining in the dark that is the Internet. Without ResetERA nothing would get done, nobody would ever give a damn about issues minorities and women face in the industry or life. Ninja has only helped himself. Nobody else. Stop defending him.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think giving Ninja an award is absolutely disgusting. My belief is that it is just pandering to his fanbase in an attempt to capture his viewing audience for future Game Awards shows.

It's not pandering, the majority of gamers are literally cool with this dude and his shitty views.

. . . which is a lot worse than pandering.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Because with one there might be a situation where one could cheat on the SO and with the nother there isn't.

Why is cheating treated differently than other things? In one situation [irrational thing] could happen and in the other [irrational thing] could also happen.

If my SO would have something against a a gay coworker because he's gay that would be homophic, a.k.a having prejudice against gay people. If she's jealous because I have dinner with a coworker who happens to be a woman it's not because she has prejudice against her own gender, it's because she doesn't trust me. This is all hypothetical by the way.

A lot of times it's because they don't trust the other person. They don't trust the woman not to come on to you.

I never argued that we should do it. I argue against how racism and jealousy are the same thing. Which you think they are, because they both result in discrimination. I think that is indeed ridiculous.

I'm arguing that irrational feelings toward a group of people that lead to discrimination of that group of people is very similar. If your significant other doesn't trust a woman coworker not to come onto you or something how is that not a prejudiced opinion? What if she didn't trust a gay coworker for the same thing? What if she didn't trust a person of color coworker not to steal from you?

The United States literally had problems with people not wanting to work with discriminated groups like LGBTQ or people of color because they didn't trust them for one reason or another. Hell, black men taking white men's women was kind of a big fucking thing for a while too. Why was that jealousy stupid racism and we should have no room for allowing it to end up in discrimination but when you don't trust women... that's fine and rational? All of these things are based on stupid stereotypes and they shouldn't be allowed to dictate your work place.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
We don't know what kind of life he has within his marriage. Why is it our business to tell him how he should handle it? Is that what we're going to do now? Go after people's marriages because it allegedly hurts a segment of gamers? The fact is, we'll never know the whole story of why he does this but it doesn't matter. It's his personal choice for how to deal with his business affairs. It's also not his responsibility to make sure other streaming channels grow. There are plenty of people who can help do that if he is not willing.

And his shout out to his wife and family was a very nice gesture after winning the content creator award.

This is not the hill to die on.

Trilobit

Mar 31, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing sexism and discrimination.
There is nothing misogynistic about Ninja's choice. He has made a choice to not let his work life affect his personal life more than necessary and wants to keep his marriage free from anything that could affect it in a detrimental way. I respect that. If my boss demanded that I go on trips solo with a female coworker and had to spend much time alone with her, then I would consider resigning to not cause any harm to my wife or our relationship. It would not be misogynstic towards the female coworker, but rather a realistic appreciation of human nature and a desire to minimize risks.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know what kind of life he has within his marriage. Why is it our business to tell him how he should handle it? Is that what we're going to do now? Go after people's marriages because it allegedly hurts a segment of gamers? The fact is, we'll never know the whole story of why he does this but it doesn't matter.

And his shout out to his wife and family was a very nice gesture after winning the content creator award.

This is not the hill to die on.

There is literally no excuse to exclude women from your work on the basis that your shitty fans may start rumours and head cannons. The dude has the whole planet tripping over themselves to suck up to him, I dont understand why the fuck some people here think actual criticism of this shitty view is the end of the world. Don't worry, dude will continue to make millions of dollars, take his shitty award from the shitty Game Awards hype show and face zero consequences for any shit he does.

It's his personal choice for how to deal with his business affairs. It's also not his responsibility to make sure other streaming channels grow. There are plenty of people who can help do that if he is not willing.

If he wants to say this bullshit, he can fucking take criticism for it. No one asked him to come out and say this shit, he said it of his own free accord and now we have a bunch of clowns trying to legitimize that it's cool to exclude 50% of the planet for any inane reason.

What are you guys even defending?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is cheating treated differently than other things? In one situation [irrational thing] could happen and in the other [irrational thing] could also happen.
... Because sex is one of the most intimate things a couple can have with each other. For a lot of couples cheating is the breaking point. I'm not sure what irrational things a gay coworker could lead a straight male dude into.

A lot of times it's because they don't trust the other person. They don't trust the woman not to come on to you.
Our social norms over the past well... forerver lead to women not trusting each other and I guess that's part of the misogynistic scheme. But I would argue guys don't trust each other either. Toxic masculinity I assume.

I'm arguing that irrational feelings toward a group of people that lead to discrimination of that group of people is very similar. If your significant other doesn't trust a woman coworker not to come onto you or something how is that not a prejudiced opinion? What if she didn't trust a gay coworker for the same thing? What if she didn't trust a person of color coworker not to steal from you?
But there is a difference between one irrational feeling being carried out by a second person (i.e. some guy adhering to his gf's wishes) and having these feelins on your own (someone being a misogynistic fuck). The entire problem is a different one and needs different solving.
The motivations behind the lack of trust aren't the same and I would tell her to fuck off with her homophobic/racist bullshit.
She doesn't trust the woman I go to dinner with due to some work thing because she's a woman in the same way a man treats a woman worse because she's a woman. I'd also have a deathwish to tell my SO she's being misogynistic when she tells me she doesn't want that.
"Hey I don't like you meeting with women I don't know."
"Hun stop being misogynistic. I would be discriminating her if ...(I did what you want me to do)."
"What did you just say?"

Aaand I'm dead

The United States literally had problems with people not wanting to work with discriminated groups like LGBTQ or people of color because they didn't trust them for one reason or another. Hell, black men taking white men's women was kind of a big fucking thing for a while too. Why was that jealousy stupid racism and we should have no room for allowing it to end up in discrimination but when you don't trust women... that's fine and rational? All of these things are based on stupid stereotypes and they shouldn't be allowed to dictate your work place.
That's not jealousy. I don't think you know what that means.

I never argued for it to be rational ffs.
I'd love to live in the same utopia as you where everybody trusts everyone and all relationships last until death does them apart but that was never the case and never will be, no matter how far society comes or how irrational you find it to be.

Have you even been in a relationship? Like, ever? Because the idealistic stuff you tell in here reads like you haven't.
Jealousy is as old as mankind and you telling people to grow out of it is hilarious.

Last edited: