• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, she should just apologize. Admit you did wrong, and we all move on. But she won't.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
LMAO that was the weakest shit ever. Like, a Shang-Chi press tour isn't the ideal place for her to talk about it, but she essentially crt+alt+delete'd the question.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What the goofies say this time? I assume more defense force bs.
Nothing notable in particular; just that people were and still are, in a few days, giving Awkwafina the benefit of the doubt. Hell, they've given more thought to how everything about her minstrelsy is coincidental than even she has given that non-answer in the Tweet.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
B-b-but she's from New York, how do we know she doesn't sound like that naturally, despite her 'accent' never once slipping out during interviews.

Anyone who used that argument is a clown and I'm talking specifically about people in that previous Era thread.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
This is a really good video, thanks for posting it.

Why is it so difficult for people like this to just admit fault? "Yes, I messed up. It was wrong and I am going to make amends." It's really not that hard. But I suppose even that minimal level of self-awareness is too much to ask.

The name "Awkwafina" always bothered me, but I wasn't able to really put my finger on why (probably because I'm not black.) I'd say dropping that name would be a first step toward making amends.
Isn't this her only shtick? Like, if she says "yep, this is a problem, I'm gonna stop doing it," then that might mean throwing her career away right when she's struck gold. But if she keeps her mouth shut and it all blows over, she gets to stick around for another movie. Maybe even get to be in a few scenes in an Avengers film, or a part in a D+ series or something.

Unfortunately, cancel culture isn't as powerful as the right likes to say it is. Keeping her head down is probably the smart play, if she's willing to put the paycheck first.

Oct 31, 2017
Just go on "The Real", apologize, drop the stupid stage name & move on with your career

And everyone who came with that "she's from NY, that's just how she sounds" bullshit should feel dumb for that.
That excuse never made any sense.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
lmao.

her blaccent is absolutely a problem but thinking the name is intentionally wrong spelled instead of a wordplay is stupid AF

Amusingly enough it literally is just an intentional misspelling to avoid possible future legal issues. Which makes posts like this also kinda amusing in retrospect lol.

lol this is funny, when did she start claiming that's what it stood for?

She didn't, according to a quote from an interview someone else posted it's literally just an intentional misspelling.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Isn't this her only shtick? Like, if she says "yep, this is a problem, I'm gonna stop doing it," then that might mean throwing her career away right when she's struck gold. But if she keeps her mouth shut and it all blows over, she gets to stick around for another movie. Maybe even get to be in a few scenes in an Avengers film, or a part in a D+ series or something.

Unfortunately, cancel culture isn't as powerful as the right likes to say it is. Keeping her head down is probably the smart play, if she's willing to put the paycheck first.
Hell are you talking about? She's pretty well established in Hollywood. Have you checked to see her recent work?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The name "Awkwafina" always bothered me, but I wasn't able to really put my finger on why (probably because I'm not black.) I'd say dropping that name would be a first step toward making amends.

She didn't, according to a quote from an interview someone else posted it's literally just an intentional misspelling.
I never followed her, but I assumed the name Awkwafina was a takeoff of Eminem by being a kinda random misspelled product name, but with no further meaning.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologizing would mean admitting she thinks she's done anything wrong and she doesn't, and neither do millions of people. Neither do the fools that were in the last thread.

Fact is people still look at black people and what we create as a product. Just take what you need and toss it when it's no longer of use.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I thought her radio silence was because she or her team basically said "you bring up this question the interview is over" or whatever.

So basically no one wanted to just ask?

Oct 27, 2017
I thought she avoided the subject because she wanted the controversy to go away on its own.

That deer-caught-in-the-headlights look tells me she has zero introspection. Just completely clueless. Probably thought everyone just fucking forgot.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Apologizing would mean admitting she thinks she's done anything wrong and she doesn't, and neither do millions of people. Neither do the fools that were in the last thread.

Fact is people still look at black people and what we create as a product. Just take what you need and toss it when it's no longer of use.
This.
Reminds me of what Dave said in Black.
They take our features when they want and have their fun with it
Never seem to help with all the things we know would come with it
Loud in our laughter, silent in our sufferin'

I wonder how people would behave if a white actor nowadays came up with an Asian shtick.

220px-Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought she avoided the subject because she wanted the controversy to go away on its own.

That deer-caught-in-the-headlights look tells me she has zero introspection. Just completely clueless. Probably thought everyone just fucking forgot.

Yup.

... that she had no thoughtful response in mind and that she clearly hasn't done any self-examination over the last week really says it all.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I thought her radio silence was because she or her team basically said "you bring up this question the interview is over" or whatever.

So basically no one wanted to just ask?

People don't really care, in the US and in Asia.

At least here in Taiwan and other, even if the Blacent get brought up, it's also used similiar excsue as other people taking from other culture(Like the US comic writer? that used a Japanese pen name and claim to be Japanese) or the various other

1. It is a sign of respect
2. They understand it
3. It is not serious and you are making it too serious issue.
4. They are making it more..."Popular"
And various other excuse that just not talk about the effect people feeling, but only focus on other thing.

I wonder how people would behave if a white actor nowadays came up with an Asian shtick.

220px-Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg

Depend on if it's Japanese or Chinese, since Asia is not monolothic.

China might do something, Japan, the japanese won't care.

Like the Marvel writer that pretended to be Japanese and became editor later.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Awkwafina is a definite rapper parody name (it's a name check like Cristal or something... but it's a bottle of water), though she all but had to change the name's spelling to avoid lawsuits.

AllFatherGray

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Just hearing people say that all New Yorkers talk like that is so infuriating as a black man who had to deal with aave being denigrated and then "ironically" adopted before entering the general public as "safe".

Like, Yea, just the other day I went to China Town and everyone dropped the n word. Then I went to little italy... same thing. Then I turned on the news and the mayor slung slang, aave and etc too because its new york after all! /s/s

I know its not everyone on era but it still hurts nonetheless.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It would have been awesome if when she says "I'm open to the conversation".. then the interviewer said, "okay lets talk about it".

To see her melt into her chair with embarrassment.
Same shit the In The Heights director, Jon M Chu said. "Open to conversation", but we're having one right now?
www.resetera.com

Colorism In The Heights

'In the Heights' and the Erasure of Dark-Skinned Afro-Latinx Folks (theroot.com) For a film depicting the Washington Heights, there's an erasure of darker skinned black-latinx folks. Or they're only relegated to background dancers. There appears to be only one darker skinned lead. The...
well-waiting.gif

May 21, 2021
If Nora Lum does eventually address this issue head on and offers a heartfelt mea culpa, what becomes of her character Peik Lin Goh in the sequel to Crazy Rich Asians? Would it be enough for her to drop the accent for the character going forward without an in film explanation or should the character actually acknowledge it was a problematic affectation and why she's left it behind?

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If Nora Lum does eventually address this issue head on and offers a heartfelt mea culpa, what becomes of her character Peik Lin Goh in the sequel to Crazy Rich Asians? Would it be enough for her to drop the accent for the character going forward without an in film explanation or should the character actually acknowledge it was a problematic affectation and why she's left it behind?

The character is a pretty silly comic relief character, it'd be the easiest thing in the world to write her a reason to either tone it down or ditch it entirely.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because I'm not sure if the main characters in CRA are supposed to be shitty or not in the way they perform their wealth. Of course, there's also hip hop in Asia that is both performative and also genuine, which complicates that as well.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
wow, that was really the whole "answer"? i know sometimes things are clipped and taken out of context but this time it's a reuters twitter account which is a respectable news organization

geez, she was completely unprepared...

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I went back to read the chapter the character was introduced in the original book. The character is loud but definitely not talking like Awkwafina did in the movie. They can drop the act if they want to or tone down to the point that she's not using a blaccent. I thought her role in this was not as bad as the Ocean's 8 one. They could also drop her for the sequels since she's not even important in them and barely appears but I don't see that happening, given the good response they got from the audience.