• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
So I heard this game is pretty good and it's now free to own on the Epic Games Store if claimed before February 21st. Next free game after this one is Thimbleweed Park.

Axiom Verge product page: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/axiom-verge/home

QRxLZmR.png

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever your gripes with Epic's store, you should definitely try out Axiom Verge if you haven't before and are willing to play it on PC. Amazing game.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Easily in my top 5 indie games, every Metroid/Metroidvania fans should give it a shot! Got the platinum on PS4 two years ago and bought the game again on Switch, definitely will replay it some time in the future on Switch/PC, if not both

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not working for me either. And the button is switching between saying "Free" and "$19.99."

Sep 7, 2018
Not a bad game of the bunch offered for free yet! Have made sure to get all of them, and will get this when they get it right on their system. Thimbleweed Park up next, too!

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the developer was super against heavy discounts or a PS+ release as he saw it those trends as devaluing developers work so I wonder what changed.

(I know what probably changed)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I just redeemed it without really concentrating so I hope it didn't charge me $20... I think it was free? I'm UK.

EDIT: Just double checked my recent payments and, yep, it cost me ÂŁ0.00. Phew!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I already own this, but it's excellent and everyone and their mom should download it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's an amazing game. So many cool power ups, huge map, great fun. My only relatively small gripes were the weird fast travel thing and the bosses. But everything else is top tier. One of those games you completely lose yourself in.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
stupid question: if you get it for free now, do you keep it free forever? or does the free play end on the 21st? at work and can't check myself.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Doesn't seem to be Mac compatible, which is a bummer.

Thimbleweed Park is though...hella tempted to download the Epic software just for that, as much as I'd prefer to play it on my Switch.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that the game is DRM-free. Once you download it, you can make a copy of the folder, uninstall the launcher, and still play just fine. Won't be surprised if this is temporary though since you could do the same with Subnautica before they patched it.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Excellent game, definitely recommended. Not a Metroidvania from what I call, it's rather just a straight up Metroid-like.

Feel free to refresh my memory on that latter point, but I don't recall any sort of progression system or RPG elements, just new guns and abilities that give availability to previously locked areas.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
The game is a blast. Its music is jamming.
If for some reason you havent gotten it already, dont pass it up for free. Its great!

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that the game is DRM-free. Once you download it, you can make a copy of the folder, uninstall the launcher, and still play just fine. Won't be surprised if this is temporary though since you could do the same with Subnautica before they patched it.

Thank you, this was what I wanted to know!

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome game. I'd recommend everyone download it, just know you need an internet connection to start it using the launcher. No clue if you can play it offline directly via the exe.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Heavy mehhhh.

I would argue if it's worth your time with the gameplay and the rather unfun map. It's an okay time overall but unfortunately doesn't exist in a vacuum compared to other Metroidvanias. It looks kind of pretty.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Argh, just bought Thimbleweed Park in the Lunar sale. Oh, well.
Epic is really killing it with these game giveaways! I don't really plan to use their launcher except to play these free games though.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was just going to post this. The error line from the log file reads:

Caught exception trying to load SoundEffect Steam
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Could not load asset Audio/SoundEffects/Steam! Error: The content file was not found. ---> Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: The content file was not found. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'D:\Games\Epic Games\AxiomVerge\Content\Audio\SoundEffects\Steam.xnb'.

So I took a random sound file, copied it, renamed it "Steam.xnb", and it works fine.

Turns out that the third level has a bunch of pipes that shoot steam out and damage you.