• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Downloaded Axiom Verge from Epic Store (it's free and I hear it's good). Game crashes 100% entering an area. I poke around & find the log files. Turns out it's missing a sound effect: "steam". I have a pretty good idea how & why that happened, lol
tenor.gif

The missing file:
error log says this file is missing:

"C:\Program Files\Epic Games\AxiomVerge\Content\Audio\SoundEffects\Steam.xnb"

fucking hilarious

It's true
GKlN0nQ.png

They really just did delete it.

yep, here's epic's version
yepk9kmp.png

UPDATE 2: EG
In the third area the player comes across (Zi) there are steam vents that act as environmental obstacles, and they have a sound effect.
qIamdsU.jpg

The Fix:
So um.....

Tom Happ said:
For anyone missing Steam.xnb from the Epic store, please go to AV in your library, click the gear icon, Verify, then Update.

I was thinking it being Epic and all, I shouldn't include valve's dlls and such, so I excluded all files with "Steam" in the name... oops.

EDIT: While it is humorous to see something like this going wrong because of the word steam being the same as the store Steam, here's a reason why you should still play this game regardless! The creator Tom Happ is awesome.
Tom got feedback from a dyslexic person wanting to play the game that asked about a pause button for cutscenes to make the text easier to read, so he made an adjustment for them with the Epic Games Store version:

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Wait so is this intentional? What would be the legitimate source for a sound named "steam?" Just something environment-related that made for a funny coincidence?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Axiom Verge on PC. What does this mean, exactly? When entering a new area it plays a Steam-related sound effect? Or an actual sound effect of steam? That was auto-stripped from the Epic release? This doesn't make much sense without full context.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Mods fixed my title before I even finished submitting the report! Thank you so much mods! I feel stupid for such an oversight lol.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Haven't played Axiom Verge on PC. What does this mean, exactly? When entering a new area it plays a Steam-related sound effect? Or an actual sound effect of steam? That was auto-stripped from the Epic release? This doesn't make much sense without full context.

there's a sound effect named steam, not related to the steam platform... seems like they erased everythin with the word steam for the epic store release... and this caused the crash

this is so amazing, lmao

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Step 1. Delete all files containing the word steam.

Step 2. Don't play through game to see if you fucked up.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
And big selling point of theirs was that they were going to actually test games. Guess that didn't happen this time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. On a similar note, the Twitch version of Hyper Light Drifter that was given out via Twitch Prime recently has a Twitch specific bug that makes it impossible to play once you start fighting groups of enemies.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
rofl

It means they probably did a CTRL-F for any files called "steam" and deleted them

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
They CTRL+F every instance of steam and deleted it, removing without realizing a sound of steam (as in you know, the vapor)

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
error log says this file is missing:

"C:\Program Files\Epic Games\AxiomVerge\Content\Audio\SoundEffects\Steam.xnb"

fucking hilarious

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Epic shouldn't be deleting game files. Maybe they tried to delete all steam related DLL files? I think some GOG games came with a file named steam.dll that was not used, and other stores had GOG launcher related files in their installers, too. Those files should be left alone even if they are not used, just in case.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So, not only did Galyonkin lie (that or he's not as knowledgeable about Steam as he thinks he is) when he strongly implied Valve doesn't check games before approving them for release, but apparently Epic's own approval process isn't much, if any, better. That's rather amusing.

Last edited:

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
Just played an hour, so I haven't reached that area yet. But still pretty hilarious mistake

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so is this intentional? What would be the legitimate source for a sound named "steam?" Just something environment-related that made for a funny coincidence?
In the third area the player comes across (Zi) there are steam vents that act as environmental obstacles, and they have a sound effect.
qIamdsU.jpg