• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Eight more women, former and current employees at Sony PlayStation, have added their accounts of sexist treatment to a proposed class-action lawsuit against the gaming giant.

Why it matters: The new declarations add to former IT security analyst Emma Majo's assertion that PlayStation, like many other game companies, has long had a workplace culture that is hostile to women.

Majo filed a suit against PlayStation last November, not just for what she says is her own wrongful termination after complaining about sexism, but on behalf of all women who've worked for the company.

Marie Harrington, a veteran of Sony Online Entertainment and Sony PlayStation for more than 16 years, cited a lack of women considered for senior roles during "calibration sessions." During one session, she said, only four women were considered for promotions, compared to nearly 70 men. She described hearing comments about female candidates' family lives that weren't made about male candidates.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Hopefully this isn't forgotten about in an hour just because PlayStation makes better games than Activision.

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021
I hope this won't get buried because the state of play. Also hasn't this been reported before with Insomniac games?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not like people stopped playing Activision games
Of course to the casual audience they probably don't even know about these issues or care. However, every Activision thread rightly has a ton of post saying "Fuck Activision", I hope we get that same energy with any company that has these issues.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
God damn. This hobby really is rotten to the core and it makes me hate consuming it sometimes. Get your shit together, Sony.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Get your shit together Sony. You can't go around making comments about activision and "how you need to revaluate your relationship with them" if you're just as bad

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
*sigh*

no surprise, this shit is everywhere.

fix your shit, Sony.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My interest in watching 20 minutes of PlayStation ads tonight just plummeted.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Yikes… really depressing thing to hear that it's widespread across PlayStation as a whole.

Hope this lawsuit will move forward and hopefully lead to some public scrutiny and Sony addressing these issues

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just look at all those wide angle photos of development teams. Mostly just white dudes. It sucks!

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
The issues about sexism in the industry are systemic, and ultimately an entire refresh of the industry will be required in order to fully eliminate. I don't know if that will be possible, but I sure as hell hope people pressure them to make the changes needed to solve these issues.

The fact they just announced suspension of sales to Russia feels shady as fuck.

I fail to see how this is relevant to this in particular, care to elaborate?

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
The issues about sexism in the industry are systemic, and ultimately an entire refresh of the industry will be required in order to fully eliminate. I don't know if that will be possible, but I sure as hell hope people pressure them to make the changes needed to solve these issues.

It could be seen as Sony trying to deflect from this article

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of course to the casual audience they probably don't even know about these issues or care. However, every Activision thread rightly has a ton of post saying "Fuck Activision", I hope we get that same energy with any company that has these issues.

Exactly. The only thing that is going to make these companies change their tunes are to call them out and hit them where it hurts. Sony's stock price is actually up today, so I can't imagine them viewing this as any kind of big deal for them.

I wonder if you'll hear Greg Miller, for example, on KF tomorrow saying "Fuck Jim Ryan", or if that was just an easy thing to say (with regards to Kotick) when a big portion of your audience aren't die hard Call of Duty fans. It will interesting to see if the industry pushes back on Sony the way they have been on Activision.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Releasing PR to distract from bad news.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm not accusing them of it because I don't have any evidence, but it seems like they were reached to comment for this article highlighting the lawsuit and released a statement about them suspending software/hardware shipments in Russia and donating $2 million a few minutes before the article dropped.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully more victims see this and and come forward. This needs to pass and Sony needs to address it fast.

What a shitshow. Fix your shit.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Disappointing. When hearing the news about how their game studios have problems it's kind of a matter of time to me Playstation would get it's own set of stories. It's disgusting stuff. Sony needed to address and fix it, not try and bury the problems see if it goes away.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I hope this shit gets fixed in the video game industry.

It's sad to say but I'm at slightly relieved to see this seems like your average trashy behavior opposed to the absolutely monstrous stories that came out of Acti-Blizz and Ubi.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong on so many levels. It is unfortunate and I hope Sony makes actual changes.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Asking for dismal due to lack of facts is some bullshit. How about you show what you have in place to prevent the sexist behaviour you are being accused of. The industry is plagued with this problem and Sony thinks their shit don't stink.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Can only hope that everyone responsible for this behavior and those with power who ignore it are swiftly removed, that where necessary people are prosecuted and that the victims get all the help they need. Fuck people responsible for this type of behavior.