• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

TUCSON — Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is pushing for the implementation of a pilot program along the U.S.-Mexico border that aims to more quickly screen and remove migrant families without valid legal claims for asylum in the United States.

Sinema, D-Ariz., joined a bipartisan group with eight other senators who sent a letter Wednesday to acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan describing their proposed program, dubbed "Operation Safe Return."

...Besides Sinema and Johnson, the letter was signed by Sens. Rob Portman, R-Ohio; Joe Manchin D-W.Va.; James Lankford, R-Okla.; Doug Jones, D-Ala.; Michael Enzi, R-Wyo.; John Barrasso, R-Wyo.; and John Cornyn, R-Texas.

The program would allow the Department of Homeland Security to deport certain migrants within 15 days, according to the letter, and would help alleviate overcrowding at border facilities, Sinema said.

"This pilot program would apply to families who aren't claiming 'credible fear,' which of course is the first threshold in seeking asylum," Sinema told The Arizona Republic. "If someone says 'I left my country because I can't make a living,' (or) 'it's hard to take care of my family' — that's what we call an economic migrant."

But the idea for the pilot program has raised concerns from migrant advocates who worry that speeding up the process could lead to cases of valid claims being wrongfully denied and migrant families returned to dangerous situations.

Ruben Reyes, a board member with the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said he worried about a botched implementation similar to last year's family separations, which sparked a national furor.

"We still have children who are missing in the system," Reyes said. "So we can't take this letter outside of the context of what's happened for the year and a half."

Under "Safe Return," Border Patrol agents would have one to three days to conduct "detailed, fair and accurate interviews" with migrant families to determine if families express a fear of return. If they don't, they would be immediately deported to their home countries.

For families who claim fear, asylum officers working for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Officers would have nine days after their apprehension to conduct a credible-fear interview. During the next six days, Homeland Security and the Department of Justice, which runs immigration and asylum courts, would make a determination about the case.

Families who pass the credible-fear screening would have the chance to claim asylum and be released under alternative-to-detention programs.

"Within approximately 15 days after being encountered, the Department of Homeland Security should remove family units whose negative credible fear determinations are affirmed by the immigration judge," the letter says.

Oct 27, 2017
Under "Safe Return," Border Patrol agents would have one to three days to conduct "detailed, fair and accurate interviews" with migrant families to determine if families express a fear of return. If they don't, they would be immediately deported to their home countries.

For families who claim fear, asylum officers working for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Officers would have nine days after their apprehension to conduct a credible-fear interview. During the next six days, Homeland Security and the Department of Justice, which runs immigration and asylum courts, would make a determination about the case.
How could this possibly go wrong

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
This on its face would be fine if there ware a legitimate border crisis. But considering this entire thing has been manufactured by Trump this just seems like capitulation.

EDIT: not to mention I dont trust the Trump admin to not abuse this policy.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they think that the swing voters of America don't want these migrants in America, but they really don't them in concentration camps.

They might be right.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily have an issue with speeding up the processes, but I'll be damned if I trust this administration to do it correctly and fairly.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I think that immigrants should be welcomed, regardless of whether they've come to seek asylum or just to attain a better life. Their presence benefits our country, our economy, our society, everything; indeed, I define an American as anyone who wants to live here and contribute, no matter how much paperwork they have or don't have. I oppose this plan.

But I also recognize it's a bullshit proposal that has no chance of passing the Senate. I guarantee Sinema signed on to boost her ~~~bipartisan~~~ credentials. (Jones is losing next year, and Manchin is Manchin. But both represent really red states.)

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I think they think that the swing voters of America don't want these migrants in America, but they really don't them in concentration camps.

They might be right.
This is more than likely the play here. I live in SD and a lot of people are not happy with the way deportation is handled, but they also aren't big fans of migrants either.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Besides "fairness", is there any negatives to giving citizenship to all currently? Wouldn't we get a boost in tax revenue and save on the deportation process?

I'm sure theres more to it but just curious.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Besides "fairness", is there any negatives to giving citizenship to all currently? Wouldn't we get a boost in tax revenue and save on the deportation process?

I'm sure theres more to it but just curious.
No real negatives, and it's basically been done before.

When we controlled the Senate in 2013, we passed a compromise comprehensive immigration reform bill that would've given people a pathway to citizenship while imposing stricter fines, mandating E-verify, etc. A lot of Democrats (yours truly included) opposed certain provisions of the bill but ultimately supported it because of the citizenship part.

It flopped in the GOP House.

So as long as Republicans control even one of the WH, House, or Senate, it ain't getting done.

Sinema knows that, knows this horrendous plan will never pass the Senate much less the House, but just signed on for bipartisan cred.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
No real negatives, and it's basically been done before.

When we controlled the Senate in 2013, we passed a compromise comprehensive immigration reform bill that would've given people a pathway to citizenship while imposing stricter fines, mandating E-verify, etc. A lot of Democrats (yours truly included) opposed certain provisions of the bill but ultimately supported it because of the citizenship part.

It flopped in the GOP House.

So as long as Republicans control even one of the WH, House, or Senate, it ain't getting done.

Sinema knows that, knows this horrendous plan will never pass the Senate much less the House, but just signed on for bipartisan cred.

I don't get it, why would this fast track plan not pass? There's no provisions for that, just for the fast pass stuff? Or should I have read the article?

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest: after reading the article, I don't think I have a problem with this? This is a solution to the overcrowding problem the US has with migrants at its border that would keep families together and honor both our asylum laws and our immigration laws. I'm not really a fan of letting people skip ahead of the line of people who have been waiting years to immigrate into the US based solely on economic desires, but I also want people to have a safe haven in a circumstance like, say, the cartel killed one of their children before their eyes and they left in the middle of the night fearing for their lives.

Mr Bungle

Dec 11, 2017
Won't they all say that they are fearful for their life? I can already see any planning to come over to be coached on that.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Last I heard they don't even have enough resources to bus all these people back over the border. How will this bill work without more funding? I think it might pass the Senate, but zero chance it passes the House.