• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 17, 2019
independent of whether or not this dude is a sex pest his standup fucking blows
Yeah he's an extremely corny, not funny dude, so count me in as thinking it's kinda lame he's back.

But uh, I don't know that it makes sense to pile on the dude. Didn't the woman who originally talked to the website Babe who ran the story about him say she wasn't intending for it to come across like that and that they misrepresented most of what she said and regretted taking the story to them?

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've now watched the special in its entirety and it's problematic to say the least.

He comes very close to alt-right talking points of being too woke, making fun of SJWs and having to worry about old tweets resurfacing.
In addition, he makes the whole "Grace" story about himself, mentioning how he was afraid his career was over and how he has grown as a person. He basically expects his audience to applaud him for possibly being a bit less shitty now. "Look at me, I'm not a sex creep anymore! Please clap!"
The entire thing comes off as Aziz portraying himself as the victim.

That being said, I can't say he's a bad stand-up. I like how he involved Dan Greenblatt or little Tyler.

Last edited:

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I thought his take on progressive white people was actually really funny. It's pretty dead on that while the support ultimately comes from a good place, it often comes off as patronising and draining. Like, some people really want to prove to their minority friends that they're woke by rattling off a bunch of stuff about racism that they're already very aware of as they've lived through it.

I definitely think his apology for the sexual misconduct comes off as very self-centric and he could have spoken a lot more about the mindset he was in when it happened and how other guys need to be more aware of how they treat women on dates before framing the experience as a positive moment of self-growth for himself and his friends, but he still took ownership of what happened and didn't attempt to downplay or excuse it as others have. Does he get points for doing the bare minimum? Fuck if I know but it could have been worse.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Great show, my gf and I enjoyed it. Loved the woke bits since we both have to deal with cred chasers, especially since she works in the industry and has to socialize with such try-hards

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one who found the audio balance to be way off and mostly super quiet?

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why not ? He grew up in a religious household. His parents are muslim. Their religion is tied to their Pakistani heritage. Why can't he play a muslim character based on his experiences? Are only practicing muslims allowed to play these characters?

Is he being islamophobic or anti-muslim by playing these characters?

What Pakistani heritage? Aziz is Tamilian, he is not Pakistani. He himself has stated this in his standup acts multiple times, I have no idea how anybody could mistake him for a Pakistani. For the record people in the south of India were among the first non-Arab muslims in the world, far before Pakistanis/Afghanis/Turkish people. Conflating the religion Islam with subcontinental cultural practices (North Indian/Pakistani) is a major issue. How do you know that he grew up in a religious household?

anamika

May 18, 2018
What Pakistani heritage? Aziz is Tamilian, he is not Pakistani. He himself has stated this in his standup acts multiple times, I have no idea how anybody could mistake him for a Pakistani. For the record people in the south of India were among the first non-Arab muslims in the world, far before Pakistanis/Afghanis/Turkish people. Conflating the religion Islam with subcontinental cultural practices (North Indian/Pakistani) is a major issue. How do you know that he grew up in a religious household?

We were discussing Kumail Nanjiani who is Pakistani American. Maybe read the posts before commenting?

Conflating the religion Islam with subcontinental cultural practices (North Indian/Pakistani) is a major issue. How do you know that he grew up in a religious household?

What does it matter if Aziz is Tamilian? His parents identify as muslim. Are you saying that because muslims on the subcontinent practice Islam differently they are not religious muslims? That only the Islam practiced by Arabs is the real Islam?

This is the issue with conservative Islam and people deciding which is the right and wrong way to practice one's religion. That's why there is war between Sunni and Shia and why Ahmadis in Pakistan are persecuted for not being real muslims.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We were discussing Kumail Nanjiani who is Pakistani American. Maybe read the posts before commenting?

What does it matter if Aziz is Tamilian? His parents identify as muslim. Are you saying that because muslims on the subcontinent practice Islam differently they are not religious muslims? That only the Islam practiced by Arabs is the real Islam?

This is the issue with conservative Islam and people deciding which is the right and wrong way to practice one's religion. That's why there is war between Sunni and Shia and why Ahmadis in Pakistan are persecuted for not being real muslims.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I simply stated that conflating Islamic practice with subcontinental cultural tropes is problematic. I never commented on Aziz's parents religiosity, you were the one who brought it up. I just want a source for this information that his parents were super religious and this qualifies him as a man with Islamic experience (whatever that implies). The sunni shia struggle is by and large a political issue, not a religious one as you would like to paint it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to like him - Muslim actors and all - but I just can't. His sex scandal was weird and gross and made it seem like maybe he lived in real life like he did in his show. I also just don't think he's funny.

I'm in a minority opinion here, but I really found it repulsive. Season 1 to me anyway, it just came across as rich narcissistic NY hipsters doing rich narcissistic NY hipster shit. I found none of the characters authentic, sincere, or relatable. Didn't watch season 2.
He's not a Muslim.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Stop putting words in my mouth. I simply stated that conflating Islamic practice with subcontinental cultural tropes is problematic. I never commented on Aziz's parents religiosity, you were the one who brought it up. I just want a source for this information that his parents were super religious and this qualifies him as a man with Islamic experience (whatever that implies). The sunni shia struggle is by and large a political issue, not a religious one as you would like to paint it.

Why is conflating Islamic practice with subcontinental culture problematic? Muslims in India also practice Islam. It does not matter if it's mixed into subcontinental cultural practices - they are muslims and they practice Islam. The way muslims on the subcontinent practice Islam should not in any way be a factor in whether Aziz can be allowed to play muslims or talk and write about his experiences growing up in a muslim household or his views on Islam.

And yes, Aziz's parents are devout muslims.

he episode stemmed from his real-life childhood memory of trying bacon at a friend's house and receiving a scolding from his mother over the phone. "From that moment, I was never into religion," he said. As an adult, Ansari wavered on whether to eat pork in his parents' company, suggesting slyly to them that his girlfriend at the time was forcing him to eat it.
This all seems pretty true to life for the real Ansari, whose parents are Muslim. But he has been outspoken about how he's not religious and he does eat pork, unlike his parents. At their last dinner with the family, Dev says, "to hell with it," and he orders a crispy pork dish that sends his mother over the edge. She is angry. She doesn't know why her son is flaunting this in front of her, and when his parents confront him later, Dev tells them that he is grown and can make his own religious determinations about which tenets he wants to follow.

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is conflating Islamic practice with subcontinental culture problematic? This is precisely what I am talking about. This is why certain sects of muslims are discriminated against and people like the Ahmadis are persecuted for not being real muslims. Muslims in India also practice Islam. It does not matter if it's mixed into subcontinental cultural practices - they are muslims and they practice Islam. The way muslims on the subcontinent practice Islam should not in any way be a factor in whether Aziz can be allowed to play muslims or talk and write about his experiences growing up in a muslim household or his views on Islam.

And yes, Aziz's parents are devout muslims.

Because herein goes the point: (i) discrimination based on caste is unlawful in Islam, Indian muslims co-opted it and created a caste system for themselves, (ii) Dowry is a major social evil in the sub-continent, it has no place in Islam, but once again Indian muslims have conveniently co-opted it. (iii) female infanticide is strictly forbidden in Islam, it is still practiced in the Indian sub-continent. There are good practices and bad practices, there is nothing wrong with adopting good stuff, problem is people absorb good and bad stuff and their shitty behavior is blamed on the religion.

There are 5 tenets of Islamic faith: (i) Belief in one god (ii) Prayer (iii) fasting (iv) charity (atleast 2.5% of savings anually) and (v) pilgrimage to Makkah. Aside from consumption of pork and alcohol many other things are forbidden to a devout muslim: lying, cheating, stealing, fornicating, murder, backbiting (not to be mistaken with libel or slander, which are far worse), etc. This conflation of basic lifestyle choices such as not consuming pork or alcohol with the spiritual aspects of religion is troublesome. The fact that Ansari's parents do not eat pork says literally nothing about whether they are devout Muslims or even practicing muslims. Maybe they are, may be not. Many of my hindu friends do not eat pork, this does not make them Muslim, I do not eat beef, it does not make me Hindu.

Last edited:

anamika

May 18, 2018
Because herein goes the point: (i) discrimination based on caste is unlawful in Islam, Indian muslims co-opted it and created a caste system for themselves, (ii) Dowry is a major social evil in the sub-continent, it has no place in Islam, but once again Indian muslims have conveniently co-opted it. (iii) female infanticide is strictly forbidden in Islam, it is still practiced in the Indian sub-continent. There are good practices and bad practices, there is nothing wrong with adopting good stuff, problem is people absorb good and bad stuff and their shitty behavior is blamed on the religion.

Like you mention, there are good practices and bad practices that folks practicing Islam in different parts of the world adopt and practice. But again, that does not make them unislamic or not true muslims. If this was so, most of the Islam practiced by the Arabic world would also not be true Islam right? Considering that people are being sentenced to death for playing metal because it is blasphemy? Or Homosexuals are stoned to death? Each person picks and choses what they want to practice from the religious tenets in our holy books. Who decides which is the right and wrong form of Islam? Old Holy men sitting and deciding this is what is wrong.

And here's the thing - female infanticide in India is not done because of religion. It's done because the girl child is seen as a burden on families because they marry and go off. If you want a better example of an Islamic practice specific to India, it's triple talaq - where the woman can be divorced by a man simply by him saying talaq three times - this is something the current government of India is trying to get rid of.

This conflation of basic lifestyle choices such as not consuming pork or alcohol with the spiritual aspects of religion is troublesome. The fact that Ansari's parents do not eat pork says literally nothing about whether they are devout Muslims or even practicing muslims. Maybe they are, may be not. Many of my hindu friends do not eat pork, this does not make them Muslim, I do not eat beef, it does not make me Hindu.

Well, then you must have missed the conversations in the previous pages where devout muslims were pissed that atheist Aziz was eating pork on TV and was therefore not the right muslim and they wanted a depiction of actual muslims on TV that do not eat pork or be sex-crazed individuals.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
You might have missed a long convo on the subject, but yeah he's not - doesn't identify either religiously or on a cultural level. Didn't know that before.
Yeah this forum on mobile gets kind of confusing. After I posted I realized there was a whole bunch of other posts saying the same thing I did.

But anyway, several years ago on a blog he identified as atheist

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you want a better example of an Islamic practice specific to India, it's triple talaq - where the woman can be divorced by a man simply by him saying talaq three times - this is something the current government of India is trying to get rid of.

I hope the current government of India and the esteemed supreme court expends an equal amount of effort on getting justice for abandoned wives , like our esteemed first lady, and reform the Hindu Code Bills. Though, I am not holding my breath on that. This conversation has gone way off topic, let's take it offline, PM me if you want to continue this interesting talk.

Last edited:

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Weird show. The 'apology' felt deeply insincere. He doesn't owe anyone an apology except the woman in question, so my complaint isn't about forgiveness. It just felt like avoidant behaviour and doesn't hold up if he's going to still talk about dating in his act (which he did). The material about white wokeness was great except the candy crush comparison which felt like a high school teacher trying to relate to kids. The audience interaction was very good, but it felt too long.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So I liked some of it but anytime he talked about or referenced his issues he did it in a remarkably bad way.

He really tried to turn himself into a victim lmao

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Good special. I liked the quiet parts. I haven't really seen that in a comedy special and I thought they were well done.