• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I really want to like him - Muslim actors and all - but I just can't. His sex scandal was weird and gross and made it seem like maybe he lived in real life like he did in his show. I also just don't think he's funny.

I really need to get around to watching Master of None.

I'm in a minority opinion here, but I really found it repulsive. Season 1 to me anyway, it just came across as rich narcissistic NY hipsters doing rich narcissistic NY hipster shit. I found none of the characters authentic, sincere, or relatable. Didn't watch season 2.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trivializing consent and the nature of misconduct
I'm in a minority opinion here, but I really found it repulsive. Season 1 to me anyway, it just came across as rich narcissistic NY hipsters doing rich narcissistic NY hipster shit. I found none of the characters authentic, sincere, or relatable. Didn't watch season 2.
What's funny is how many shows this could describe:
Master of None
Girls
Mozart in the Jungle

Anyways, I'll try to catch the special this weekend. I enjoy Aziz's comedy so I'm sure I'll dig it. I don't think anything he did constitutes a sex crime so much as being clueless about how consent works until he gets hit over the head with a frying pan, so I've no interest in taking him to task there. (Honestly, I don't see how anyone can as that whole event was essentially 'he said/she said' but to each their own.) So hopefully it's good, and at least he seems to be acknowledging that he needs to grow as a person. Too bad Louis CK hasn't done that-- might not be the MRA/incel poster boy right now if he had.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I really want to like him - Muslim actors and all - but I just can't. His sex scandal was weird and gross and made it seem like maybe he lived in real life like he did in his show. I also just don't think he's funny.

Boy, if you thought season 1 made him look entitled....

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
His riff on woke culture was fantastic. Managed to straddle the line where he was able to make fun of the ridiculous lengths some people go to in the name of injustice, but didn't cross over into cynical anti-sjw territory.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This guy is a creep no thanks. His apologists are a curious bunch. They are just massive fans that give him the benefit of the doubt because they like him. If literally anyone else had been exposed like he was they would have been long forgotten. Having a rabid Parks and Rec fanbase has his benefits.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
This guy is a creep no thanks. His apologists are a curious bunch. They are just massive fans that give him the benefit of the doubt because they like him. If literally anyone else had been exposed like he was they would have been long forgotten. Having a rabid Parks and Rec fanbase has his benefits.
Yeah I'm gonna need a citation on that one.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Was sort of willing to give him the benefit of the doubt going into the show, but he did not adequately address or apologize for his shit. The next ten minutes or so where he brushed everything aside and goofed on performative "wokeness" did not improve this impression. Turned it off shortly thereafter

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His account was that it all appeared consensual and this is sort of corroborated by her account despite how she was feeling. She had consensually engaged in oral sex at the beginning of the date, she wasn't threatened physically or professionally or held against her will. Plus the article isn't great - complaining about wine choice, kink-shaming "the claw", ridiculing him by calling him a horny 18 year old. Like, even the title of the article - my date with Ansari was "the worst night of my life" - really? She is an adult who was free to leave at any point, there was no power imbalance in their relationship. His persistent behaviour was inappropriate and deserved flagging, which he has accepted... I'm not defending a guy stalking his date around his apartment pestering for sex when she has refused. That's gross, borderline behaviour. But it's somewhat a he-said-she-said so... what more should he do?

Taking issue with someone randomly sticking their fingers down your throat is not kink shaming. If someone thinks that's sexy, fine, but they can't just spring that on people on the assumption that everyone else feels the same.

It honestly sounds like you're engaging in some of that extreme wokeness Aziz talks about.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'll admit that was poorly worded but you're being reductive again. My point is that those men who have had a spotlight placed on them for indiscretion, abuse, harassment or whatever else, are going to be in the public eye again, no matter how much people might want them to disappear forever. With that in mind, Ansari's sentiment is on the right side of things. It might not be all the way to an exemplar of the right side, but it's much more right than wrong.
Yes, I'm being reductive, because the kind of behavior Ansari was accused of isn't really an area where I'm interested in giving people partial credit. A higher percentage of good in a case like this still reduces to "fuck that guy" for me.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And articulate it in a comedy special?

He did a pretty good job getting laughs by holding a mirror up to the contradictions and cognitive dissonance of the current zeitgeist.

Making fun of people and white people specifically, about 'outwoking' each other isn't exactly a profound or even unique thing. Hell more conservative comics than Aziz do this all the time, they just label it differently, more about making fun of PC culture. Either way, while I know a lot of minorities think there are a ton of white people who do this because they don't feel like the minorities can defend themselves, not everyone is like this. I speak up so that more people know about it, not because I feel like I have to shout over the people I'm talking about. More white people looking at racial biases is a good thing as long as it doesn't turn into a competition.

It's just weird, and at complete odds with how much I felt Aziz's Master of None resonated for me.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, can we get some of those receipts? I tried googling and found zip. In fact when I googled "aziz ansari accuser" the original article doesn't even come up until the second page, instead this pops up first.

I'd really like to see these tweets and other accusations. There's always the possibility his talent agency buried it on google, but I'd rather see something before blindly agreeing with anyone.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is the same set I saw him do in Brooklyn awhile back. Wasn't very funny IMO but he had a very conciliatory tone.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Wow that was great. I've not been a fan of his stand up before but this one was really good and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he actually looked within himself. Also not surprised to see people trying to shame others for watching and daring to see someone grow. Internet never changes.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
There comes a time when people will deserve second chances. If you can not accept that and can not process that then there are some deep rooted issues and there can be no progress. And sadly there seems to be a common belief among many that once someone makes a mistake they should literally be removed from the world never to be seen again and never to see the light of day. Now, I may be a kid from Jersey but that does not seem very progressive at all. Especially for a place that talks about how prisons need to be about rehabilitating and all of that. Kind of a mixed message. Alot of venom and alot of vitriol but that is the stuff of hate. People need to be able to learn from their mistakes , it is the only way the world is going to turn its shit around. If that is not the case then again there is a whole lot of mixed messages going on.

Yep agreed. Im liking everything I've heard about how he handled this, and Ill be checking this out when I get time. The whole "Throw the whole person away" shit is wielded in the most ridiculous way sometimes.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
seems like an apology tour, which isn't a bad thing per say..

not really sure how to feel.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it. His material is fine, but he doesn't actually make me laugh out loud. It's more like every few minutes I go, yeah, that's an astute observation, and I nod in approval. I guess it's his style. His voice can also be a little grating sometimes.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
A citation on an assumption? Ok dude. Are you one of these people that give him a pass?

A pass on what? His actions or his response and follow up to those actions?

I do not believe this situation is similar to that of Evilore's or other people that have been called out for this behavior like alluded to above. I also think it is more petty than diligent to come after other members for willing to take a chance and watch this content with the belief that Aziz would not act out this way again. People are acting like the guy didn't disappear to reflect and work on himself at all and just suddenly dropped a special. When news got out that he was back to doing comedy people reacted angrily, but I was wondering... "is he supposed just stop doing what he loves to do? Making people laugh..."

I know people didn't like when Chappelle said it, but I agree. Some of these people outed for inappropriate behavior can still be allies in one way or another. This was not a Weinstein, Singer, Spacey, CK, or Cosby like situation yet people want to view it in this binary lens as such.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
By the way, did anything ever come of the allegations against Riz Ahmed? Him and Aziz were accused of sexual abuse at around the same time.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I know people didn't like when Chappelle said it, but I agree. Some of these people outed for inappropriate behavior can still be allies in one way or another. This was not a Weinstein, Singer, Spacey, CK, or Cosby like situation yet people want to view it in this binary lens as such.

I disagree that they are good allies one way or another. I've read the extended descriptions of his behaviour and I think it's mental and gross. I don't view it as "binary" I view it as degrees of abuse or stages of an abuser. Some abusers have more hubris than others making them much more flagrant. Some are low key like C.K. or Aziz. I can't laugh at the jokes from these people and I sure as hell don't want them as allies. There are a lot of celebs out there who love to pander and be allies, we don't need the creeps.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think he's completely unfunny but I also think he's not beyond rehabilitation. If he's genuinely contrite and honest and he corrects his behavior then I see no reason to exile him from comedy.

I don't blame people for not wanting to support him either. He's not entitled to anyone's forgiveness.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I thought Louie was one of the best shows of the decade and I grew up watching and loving the Cosby Show for years. And yet I've been just fine writing off Louis CK and Bill Cosby. And I am sure there are many, many, many other people who are similarly massive fans of their work and who have also written them off.

The actual offense or misconduct in question matters, and how the wrongdoer acts and handles themselves in the wake of an accusation matters. You don't need to be a "rabid fan" of an artist's work to be open to the possibility of rehabilitation and contrition after they've done something bad or shitty, depending on what line they crossed in the first place and how actually contrite they are.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I really enjoyed it. Thought it was hilarious and moving at times

It was very reflective and introspective, which seems profound in a way compared to his old stand-up specials.

Addressing the elephant in the room, the stuff about addressing his own standup about R Kelly over the years (wowww), overall the stuff on how internet society & culture is today.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Clearly he needed to learn a lot about consent but I don't think devoting an entire comedy special to apologizing is what most people want. He apologized at the time and is now spending some time during his special to show contrition, even if some people think it isn't enough.

If you don't believe he has changed and isn't sincere you are very well within your rights to not watch anything he puts out now.

Ron Howard Narration: "There wasn't"

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly he needed to learn a lot about consent but I don't think devoting an entire comedy special to apologizing is what most people want. He apologized at the time and is now spending some time during his special to show contrition, even if some people think it isn't enough.

If you don't believe he has changed and isn't sincere you are very well within your rights to not watch anything he puts out now.

Ron Howard Narration: "There wasn't"

And I say again, why would more women come forward if they saw how Grace got treated by the press?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first Aziz stand up I liked. He seemed like he's reflected a lot and even though his voice is grating at times, he really toned down those screechy bits for this routine. I can understand people who have completely sworn him off and they have every right to do so. However, I think he's shown a decent amount of growth and he seemed sincere. I especially enjoyed him reflecting on his old material and the things he wouldn't do today.

The Dan Greenblatt and Tyler segments had me lmao though. Those were brilliant. Major yikes for the swastika pizza guy though lol.

My beef though was that he seemed to try his best to pronounce desi and Muslim names poorly. I feel like Aziz tries to hide as much of his brown side as possible. Conversely, Hasan Minhaj is brown as fuck and he completely embraces it.

Last edited:

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I pissed off some of you more than Aziz did when he was putting his dick in front of a woman's face. But don't worry, you'll forgive me if I tell some jokes in a year

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mostly liked it, the show was cynical but hopeful. Also his voice was kind of ASMR when he was whispering so that probably made me like it more lol