• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
r2qnh5v.png

This is a blue planet. 71% of its surface is covered with water. Human beings were born into this azure blue sea at the very beginning. However, as humanity grew, so did their ever-expanding ambitions.
Peaceful times gave way to war and devastation.

Finally, a mysterious enemy emerged from the sea.

The final result was tragic. Humanity lost more than 90% of its control over the sea. People struggled to survive. The fear of the unknown enemy, who drag humanity into the dark abyss of the despair, spread everywhere. Decades later, in order to recapture the once glorious past, the major camps finally decided to unite and created the Azur Lane - a worldwide military organization.
The
purpose of the Azur Lane is to gather technologies and resources, and share them between all major camps of the world to fight back the mysterious enemy.

And yes, that is their official plot synopsis. However, they are hiring an entirely new company to translate the entire game.

Google Play
App Store
APK

7YsvtxQ.png

The gameplay of Azur Lane is basically side scrolling shoot 'em up, except way toned down. You control your ships with a virtual joystick, while dodging enemy fire, returning fire of your own, and managing skills and their cooldowns in real time. Note that it is a watered down version and is nowhere near as punishing as your standard shmup and has non-avoidable fire.

giphy.gif

Outside of combat, the meta is your standard gacha affair. You build your team, you upgrade your units, you obtain equipment for your ship and enhance them, and so on. There are so many resources out there breaking down all the systems, I suggest you take a look in the links section. It's gacha.

Another thing of note is that Yostar's plan for Azur Lane English is to have content run alongside Japan, with older content filling in the gaps between events. Eventually, the hope is that all of the servers will get the same content at the same time, making it a true global game.

qPWtYtM.png

Azur Lane is a "collectathon" gacha, similar to KanColle and Girls' Frontline. You do not spend your premium resources on pulling for new characters, rather you spend diamonds (the premium resources) on costumes, 'marrying' your characters, and infrastructure, like more team slots, and so on. Instead of spending premium currency on characters, you gacha for characters using 'cubes', which are awarded from dailies, weeklies, repeatable commissions, and so on. While you can buy these cubes, and some do, they are not necessary, because the SSR rate in this game is... 7%.

It kind of drives home the point of "spend money on cosmetics for your favorite characters, not on getting the characters themselves". Or whale so you can get all the ships right away. I'm not going to stop you. Because of this, there's no need to reroll. It's just a waste of time.

ZdZK6JD.png

Official Website

Very in-depth, useful Wiki

Wiki Beginner Guide

Girls' Frontline Discord with dedicated channel. If there's enough interest, it'll expand or a new server will be made.

Launch is at 9AM PDT.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

Personally unsure about the "bullet-hell" like gameplay. Paying too much attention to each gacha run (aka rhythm games) gets as boring for me as paying literally 0 attention forever (aka DoA Venus Vacation). Still, I'll give it a whirl. Supposedly there's an auto mode, but I guess you need to be very OP before it's of real use to a stage.

Oct 27, 2017
I only know of this game because I've seen a LOT of fanart and whatnot. After seeing the gameplay, I question Japan's views on mobile gaming.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017

Personally unsure about the "bullet-hell" like gameplay. Paying too much attention to each gacha run (aka rhythm games) gets as boring for me as paying literally 0 attention forever (aka DoA Venus Vacation). Still, I'll give it a whirl. Supposedly there's an auto mode, but I guess you need to be very OP before it's of real use to a stage.

Its more of a avoid the torpedos and airstrikes kinda thing. The bullets can be difficult to evade completely and generally your ships have high enough stats to not get hit but even if they do they have so much life they are usually fine. Also you don't have to be OP to use auto mode. Equipment is more important that levels in the game.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
After putting some thoughts into whether I should play this, I decided to stay focus on Girls Frontline instead. My life can't handle another GaaS title.

I hope you will enjoy it!

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
After putting some thoughts into whether I should play this, I decided to stay focus on Girls Frontline instead. My life can't handle another GaaS title.

I hope you will enjoy it!

Me as well. I was ready to go into Open Beta since yesterday but after a day of thought, I just can't realistically sustain multiple phone games at once and still keep up with other hobbies.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. Downloaded. I'l give it a try but don't see myself getting too involved. Girls Frontline and FGO taking up too much of my time as is.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Me as well. I was ready to go into Open Beta since yesterday but after a day of thought, I just can't realistically sustain multiple phone games at once and still keep up with other hobbies.
Yeah. I tried to get into Warframe and Granblue Fantasy in the past month, but decided to drop both due to similar reasons. I may try to play Dragalia Lost though as the info from its Twitter seems to imply it is a title with super high budget. Considering Nintendo and Cygames are behind the game, this isn't a surprise anyway.

Back to Azur Lane, I do interested to know why it is so popular, so very interested to hear impressions from some of you. Look forward to reading them.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Already playing JP Azur Lane, but gonna play this version too because I can never have enough ship girls in my life

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its more of a avoid the torpedos and airstrikes kinda thing. The bullets can be difficult to evade completely and generally your ships have high enough stats to not get hit but even if they do they have so much life they are usually fine. Also you don't have to be OP to use auto mode. Equipment is more important that levels in the game.

Yes, I play the JP version and there is an auto mode that I use all the time, it's kind of fun watching the uh, ship girls, shoot up their enemies. And yeah, the equipment is kind of grindy. Levels aren't too bad as there's a 'room' where you feed the girls food and they level up whilst you sleep.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the xapk, downloaded apkpure app so I can download that xapk.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT!

I chose Laffey as my starting ship too, as she's the cutest. I've heard you get the other two easily though, so it's not a big decision. Go with your heart.

The game is a lot of fun so far, although it's just in the beginning stages for me. I'm not sure which type of ships to focus on early on, maybe I'll Reddit to see what they recommend. At least I don't have to worry about recipes here, not like in Girls' Frontline.

BTW, to those thinking of re-rolling:

please_no_rerolls.png

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
I forgot this was coming out. I thought it was a Kancolle knockoff? A shump with touchscreen controls is going to be interesting.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chose Laffey as my starting ship since Ayanami wasn't a choice.

The slow movement during battle is a huge pet peeve of mine. I know you don't need to dodge everything, but still... Not a huge fan of most designs, but I'll power through for now.

Is there gonna be a spreadsheet to share our IDs? I don't know if there's any benefit like in Girls' Frontline.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I just dragged Laffey to the bed in the dorm. She's sleeping adorably now. <3

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/AzureLane/comments/7bu2vo/azur_lane_quick_beginner_starter_guide/
This is the beginners guide I used I assume near everything is still applicable. You definitely don't need to be level 30 for chapter 2, but your basic outline will be "grind so you can beat a level" followed by "grind to get drop only ships". The first two drop only ships of note are Akagi and Kaga, and I also think that's a good place to grind as starting chapter 4 you'll want to start looking at things other than your ships (equipment and skills).

Your facilities in the living area are your primary way of regenerating oil and gold, so those should be a top priority. And don't sleep on hard mode once you unlock it either.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the above starter guide, there's a lot of mechanics to wrap my head around. I'm going to take this slow, haha.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to starting later. Finally!

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
What, didn't know that this coming out in the west.
Guess I'll check it out.
Funnily enough, this one comes over while KanColle is still a Japan Only title.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy these ships feel sluggish. Just what you want in a bullet hell game.

This is the main reason I quit the Japanese version. I'm giving it another shot here because a friend of mine wanted me to play with him but as someone who loves legit bullet hell games and shmups, it is infuriating to me that it's simply okay to get hit by the normal bullets as long as you dodge torpedoes/planes/etc.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
It's not a shmup, don't think of it as a shmup, once I did that I liked the game a lot more.

I also love bullet hells, but this is absolutely not that.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Belfast to Akagi. Hit
Laffey to Atago. Hit.
You sunk my wallet!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
If I ever saw your total gacha money spent chrono, I think I'd cry on behalf of you. lol
You'd be surprised. I'm pretty much F2P when it comes to gacha games, the only time I spend are for guaranteed pulls (such as in FGO) or monthly bundles that don't cost much (Alchemist Pack in Alchemist Code, Premium Happy Box in Bang Dream, etc.).

BTW, I found a tier list on Reddit:

https://i.redd.it/usba1wr6o0211.png

Surprisingly, both Unicorn and Helena who I pulled earlier today are top tier, despite only being Elite rarity. Cool to see.

Also, Unicorn. To answer your question, you can absolutely call me "Oniichan" if you want. No complaints there.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, thanks for that! I visited the real Discord and word on power levels was all just upsetting in its vagueness.

I don't seem to have gotten anything decent just yet.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm I dunno about this game. It seems like a worse version of Girls Frontline. I'll give it a few days to see if it sticks.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I uninstalled. Didn't like the gameplay, UI felt unintuitive and the ship's designs were too much of a mixed bag.

It wasn't for me. :(

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about this one. The game play is lackluster and the story so far is non existent. I just don't see the hook besides anime girls. The systems seem like any other gatcha game these days and the backgrounds during combat are so bland. I going to keep pressing on for now but I'm not feeling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.