• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Once you exclude the recently added units from the list I was only missing Benson, St. Louis, and Bailey from the wish list, so I went for St. Louis and Benson. Got Benson with 3 cubes. Not much luck otherwise with event ships today.

Last edited:

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Yo this game is fun. Been playing for a few weeks now and wondered if there are people here that play it and found this thread. Care to share some tips? I think i have set up my formations a bit weird. 1 is OP and the other is super weak. Still on chapter 3.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much impossible to give any specific advice without knowing who you have available, and what your set ups currently are. Beyond ship selection itself, there's ship skill levels, gear selection, and gear levels that can make a big difference. Generally speaking though you're at the anything goes phase.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
St Louis drops from 10-3 though.
"Drops", rather. I've been farming Houshou since Chapter 7 hard mode became available. She still hasn't shown up. Farming Chapter 10 for St. Louis would be even more of a pain. If I can do something to reduce my reliance on the drop RNG, I'll do it.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
D0 is fucking rough for autoing, even with level 110 ships. Clearing the map is a breeze, but Bismarck's black holes are a damn death trap for the vanguard ships given how long it takes to take her down. Think I might sub in Ark instead of running a 3BB backline. Combine her slow with DoY's slow and copious amounts of homing torps.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
So glad to be done with that shitty stealth sub mini game event. The vague hitboxes, imprecise controls, and yo-yoing of forward progression in this game do not make for a good stealth experience at all.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like next update will have a few more loli ships: Cleveland, Helena and Sandy. Sandy is free and the other two has a 2.5% rate up in the light pool, but will stay there permanently after event.

Last edited:

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Pretty much impossible to give any specific advice without knowing who you have available, and what your set ups currently are. Beyond ship selection itself, there's ship skill levels, gear selection, and gear levels that can make a big difference. Generally speaking though you're at the anything goes phase.
1st fleet i have Bismarck, Unicorn, Souryuu, Indianopolis, Prinz Eugen and Portland.
2nd fleet changes everytime cause i'm testing it, but right now it'sTerror, Ark Royal, Rodney, Helena, Z23 and Laffey.
1st fleet is 4k strenght and the other 3k and they get brutalized every time. They can't do 1 attack run without loosing a ship. 1st fleet can do over 6 runs before someone sinks.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
1st fleet i have Bismarck, Unicorn, Souryuu, Indianopolis, Prinz Eugen and Portland.
2nd fleet changes everytime cause i'm testing it, but right now it'sTerror, Ark Royal, Rodney, Helena, Z23 and Laffey.
1st fleet is 4k strenght and the other 3k and they get brutalized every time. They can't do 1 attack run without loosing a ship. 1st fleet can do over 6 runs before someone sinks.
Your first fleet's vanguard is heavily defensive in nature. Indy, Portland, and Prinz all have damage reduction for either themselves, shot blocking shields, or fleet wide damage reduction. Then you added Unicorn to the backline who is constantly healing them and boosting their reload. Bismarck is taking care of suicide boats that get through, and Souryuu, while not that impressive by herself is giving a bit of a boost to the vanguard's damage. It's not surprising that fleet can take a beating and keep ticking at the stage of the game you're at. It's not an ideal fleet by any means, but it's got some level of synergy and is stacking the odds in favor of survival.

Meanwhile your second fleet aside from Rodney is squishy. Terror (and all monitor class ships) are made of paper. Helena is a boss killer and aside from leveling in a safe environment, has no business in a clearing fleet. Z23 and Laffey are great ships, but they *are* typical DDs, so they're more evasive than tanky. The backline isn't doing anything to boost or preserve the vanguard, and the vanguard isn't doing anything to protect the backline. Basically no skill synergy, and every ship is focused on damage. It's a glass cannon fleet, and the cannon isn't even that strong.

Whatever fleet has Unicorn will have a massive survivability boost, but you can swap some units around to make things a bit more balanced. Swap Indy and Port out of fleet 1 for Z23 and Laffey. Z23 will get a boost from Bismarck along with Prinz, and the DDs will benefit from Prinz's shields and Unicorn's healing. Indy and Portland will retain their synergy in fleet 2 and provide some shielding to Helena along with some backline damage reduction. Swap Souryuu with Ark. That'll push more damage into fleet 1, and more support into fleet 2. Swap Terror for damn near anything if you're looking for survivability. Monitors have a neat skill, but they're basically worthless due to how easily they die.

Also, don't get hung up on power ratings. They're next to worthless and don't factor in ship/skill/gear synergy.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Your first fleet's vanguard is heavily defensive in nature. Indy, Portland, and Prinz all have damage reduction for either themselves, shot blocking shields, or fleet wide damage reduction. Then you added Unicorn to the backline who is constantly healing them and boosting their reload. Bismarck is taking care of suicide boats that get through, and Souryuu, while not that impressive by herself is giving a bit of a boost to the vanguard's damage. It's not surprising that fleet can take a beating and keep ticking at the stage of the game you're at. It's not an ideal fleet by any means, but it's got some level of synergy and is stacking the odds in favor of survival.

Meanwhile your second fleet aside from Rodney is squishy. Terror (and all monitor class ships) are made of paper. Helena is a boss killer and aside from leveling in a safe environment, has no business in a clearing fleet. Z23 and Laffey are great ships, but they *are* typical DDs, so they're more evasive than tanky. The backline isn't doing anything to boost or preserve the vanguard, and the vanguard isn't doing anything to protect the backline. Basically no skill synergy, and every ship is focused on damage. It's a glass cannon fleet, and the cannon isn't even that strong.

Whatever fleet has Unicorn will have a massive survivability boost, but you can swap some units around to make things a bit more balanced. Swap Indy and Port out of fleet 1 for Z23 and Laffey. Z23 will get a boost from Bismarck along with Prinz, and the DDs will benefit from Prinz's shields and Unicorn's healing. Indy and Portland will retain their synergy in fleet 2 and provide some shielding to Helena along with some backline damage reduction. Swap Souryuu with Ark. That'll push more damage into fleet 1, and more support into fleet 2. Swap Terror for damn near anything if you're looking for survivability. Monitors have a neat skill, but they're basically worthless due to how easily they die.

Also, don't get hung up on power ratings. They're next to worthless and don't factor in ship/skill/gear synergy.
Thanks dude, i will switch out Indy and Portland into 2nd fleet to see if that help, but i like my set up in 1st fleet. Souryuu was put cause i can't find a good 3 back ship so if you have some tips for who to put in there as the way it is now would help. is San Diego and Belfast any good? And are there any good 1 star ships cause i'm avoiding them like a noob.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
is San Diego and Belfast any good?
San Diego gets good after her retrofit, which hasn't come to EN yet. Belfast is always good.
And are there any good 1 star ships cause i'm avoiding them like a noob.
I hear that Downes is good for a cheap clearing fleet (I haven't tried her, myself), and that Leander and Ranger are good after their retrofits (which are available on EN).

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks dude, i will switch out Indy and Portland into 2nd fleet to see if that help, but i like my set up in 1st fleet. Souryuu was put cause i can't find a good 3 back ship so if you have some tips for who to put in there as the way it is now would help. is San Diego and Belfast any good? And are there any good 1 star ships cause i'm avoiding them like a noob.
Sandy is not worth using until she gets retrofitted into a UR ship. Belfast is absolutely worth using, and is one of the best CLs that you can get easily (exchange).

As for other ships, I did outline notable farmable ships in my previous post here https://www.resetera.com/threads/az...all-me-bumblebee-adult-it.62336/post-21068785

I hear that Downes is good for a cheap clearing fleet (I haven't tried her, myself), and that Leander and Ranger are good after their retrofits (which are available on EN).
Ranger is RNG given ship form. Not keen on relying on her myself.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Tried to avoid triple CA front due to a) oil cost and b) ambush chance. A more balance fleet would be

Trash: Rodney + Unicorn | Portland + Laffey + Belfast
Boss: Bismarck + Ark Royal | Prinz Eugen + Z23 + Helena

Souryuu and Indy is not really worth the oil. Terror needs good equipment to survive. Get Ranger or Saratoga instead.

Not sure what other ships you have, but if you are having survival issue then either you are under level, or your equipment is not good enough (+6 should be sufficient). If you get lucky with medal exchange, you can replace Rodney with Hood and add Enterprise.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of gear, finally got my first piece of PR gear!

H0UByud.png

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Thanks for the tips guys. Put Ark in 1st fleet and tweeked 2nd fleet and now it does 3 runs before someone sinks. I need more work but i can at least do more trash runs. 2nd fleet now is Long Island, Souryuu, Rodney, Helena, Z23 and Laffey. Going to have to level up Belfast to put in 2nd fleet and remove Long Island and someone to replace Souryuu.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thanks for those tips. This is my current setup.

Bismarck (flag)/Shouhou/Hood in back, Z23/Prinz Eugen/Konigsberg up front. And U-556 and U-73 for subs.

Koni is there mainly for the Iron Blood buff from Bisko, I've got Z36 too but I don't really know if she's any good or not. As for the other recommended units that were mentioned, I've got Cassin and Downes leveling up in the dorm while I work through the story. Don't have any of the others.

EDIT: Speaking of Bismarck

Last edited:

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thanks for those tips. This is my current setup.

Bismarck (flag)/Shouhou/Hood in back, Z23/Prinz Eugen/Konigsberg up front. And U-556 and U-73 for subs.

Koni is there mainly for the Iron Blood buff from Bisko, I've got Z36 too but I don't really know if she's any good or not. As for the other recommended units that were mentioned, I've got Cassin and Downes leveling up in the dorm while I work through the story. Don't have any of the others.
Prioritize getting Phoenix (as early as chapter 4-1). Cassin and Downes are decent, but both would have to be fielded to match one Phoenix as Phoenix has close to twice the HP, and much more firepower to boot (torps can bridge that gap, but only reliably on manual play). She'll allow a flexible and low oil trash clearing fleet, freeing up units for the boss fleet that should ideally *only* be used for the boss.

Man, PVP is scary.
Just got owned by an Enterprise and a Laffey.
PvP as a newbie is probably damn near impossible these days. The meta fleets are super powerful, and Enterprise isn't even part of that meta anymore. She was a major member of PvP fleets back in the day since she is basically 1.7 carriers worth of damage and invincible for a period of time on top of that, but there's enough counters and better combos now that she's really only on troll fleets like that: 1:1 fleets that have low ratings, but high damage to catch newbies off guard.

I would recommend not even *looking* at PvP until you have at least a full fleet of level 100 ships, and even then you're only going to get so far without certain event limited ships, BIS gear, maxed skills, and level 110 on top of that (or whatever the cap will be at that point). The only thing it doesn't require is player skill...

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Eh still do PVP. You can get fleet exp and some merit to exchange for stuff. But yeah don't worry about winning if you're new.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Yeah i figured it out when it was giving me 100lvl 5 start oponents that i should not bother. Fixed my 2nd fleet a lot, now i'm trying to grasp gear and proficency and who should get what. Indy has a 60% and it annoys me.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Eh still do PVP. You can get fleet exp and some merit to exchange for stuff. But yeah don't worry about winning if you're new.
You'll absolutely murder your exercise win ratio doing that though - assuming that matters to you. Defeat also cuts both merits and experience in half, so you're not going to be getting a whole lot anyhow. Only real benefit would be that the experience would be oil free. Plus it can just be demoralizing to get defeat after defeat after defeat. In the end it's up to the player, but I know that I personally would just wait until I had a fighting chance of winning against the non meta fleets.

Yeah i figured it out when it was giving me 100lvl 5 start oponents that i should not bother. Fixed my 2nd fleet a lot, now i'm trying to grasp gear and proficency and who should get what. Indy has a 60% and it annoys me.
Proficiency is baked in at the ship level. It generally increases some amount every time you limit break a ship, but what a ship ultimately ends up at will vary, and you have no control over that. Things like secondary weapons on gunships like Indy will always be on the low side. To an extent this factors in who will get what gear when you're limited on what you can throw around.

Unlike proficiency, gear is something you definitely have control over and can change your fleet effectiveness by a large margin. Much like ships, higher tier gear isn't necessarily better though. The lowly blue extinguisher is a lifesaver in later chapters. The purple Triple 406 mk 6 BB guns are better than pretty much every golden BB gun for non-barrage focused BBs. The purple SB2C Helldiver is the go-to dive bomber plane.

This infographic will give you a basic idea of what to equip.
Equip_List_20180316.png

This spreadsheet is another source that should give you a decent idea of what the current BIS gear is, but much of what's recommended you won't have early on. Also has tier lists and such, but keep in mind both of these are just the (informed) opinions of one person. Best to get an idea of how things work any why they're recommended by consulting the wiki. Like this listing for BB guns gives you the stats of every gun, the damage formula, etc.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not complaining. The one rate up is selective on ships that have always been there. The other rate up is on ships that will continue to be there after. Only one is a truly limited pool. Also helps that I managed to clear the two previous pools already, so I can use the new light rate ups to my advantage in daily builds. Got Clevelad on todays. Hopefully Lena will show up in daily builds and I won't be tempted to use 10 builds.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I...may have spent more cubes than was strictly wise attempting to get the new arrivals. I know they're permanent, but I also know that an Elite in the Light pool can be harder to get than a Super Rare, and the builds were so cheap that it was easy to just keep going. 4 Lenas, 0 Clevelads.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Should have at least waited to get closer to the end of the event before going hog wild, given all the 3 builds you'd have to do anyhow.

Finished up building Neptune, but seeing as how this event sprung the whole MLB everybody thing on us, my dorm has been filled with event ships and my KMS cruisers haven't been able to level enough to use in D3 (aside from Eugen). Changed plans and now I'm doing Ibuki instead of Roon as my third PR ship, since I do have a full set of 110 IJN cruisers.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Question about Little Sandy:

Does she have to live to give me the point bonus, or can I corpse drag her along until she's more properly leveled to live?

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like you need to use her at all. You get points for every clear even without her. I'm ~20% through getting her just going through a single day's activities. Doing the math, a single SP run and 4 D-3 runs per day without her would net you more than enough points to clear that event.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like you need to use her at all. You get points for every clear even without her. I'm ~20% through getting her just going through a single day's activities. Doing the math, a single SP run and 4 D-3 runs per day without her would net you more than enough points to clear that event.
True, I would like to lessen the grind as much as possible, but we'll see how things go (and I get tired of manual control >_<).

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
True, I would like to lessen the grind as much as possible, but we'll see how things go (and I get tired of manual control >_<).
You're not really lessening any grind IMO. You're trading potential main event points for Sandy event points, and the later is far less important if you're going to get her either way. I see her mostly as a way for folks with less powerful fleets to get her without a large grind since easier stages give less points, which would be counteracted by having her in the party. Likewise she'd be less likely to die in easier stages.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Already have 350 points just by doing the daily B+SP stage clear and 7-2. No point to force myself wasting oil with Lil Sandy.

The SP stage is so great. I can clear the shop without farming at all. Daily B1-3, SP, missions is 2130 per day, or nearly 45K point over the event. No need to farm B or D stage at all (since the drop isn't great anyways).

Last edited:

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
D3's AA gun is good though. It's not like there's one universal best T4 AA gun, since you're going to be balancing the range, damage, and fire rate. Also get 4 (albeit low) chances for T4 box drops per run. Exp wise it's not as efficient as doing regular maps, but frankly the exp grind speed is still orders of magnitude faster than the time it'll take getting the units to strengthen the PR ships after build. Speaking of which there's another two universals at 60k points.

Then again I don't do the B missions. I refuse to waste oil on stages that don't have T3 plates or T4 drops any more than I have to. Already get sent to T2 plate lands with sub missions as it is.

Oct 26, 2017
This latest hot fix really screwed up the game. I can barely go several battles before it kicks me for connection issues and then I have to reset the game to "maybe" get back in because the game just won't connect.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about two runs of D3 away from having Neptune and I don't know who I'm going to go for next (except that it won't be Roon because she's scary). I'm maybe leaning toward Saint Louis just because I think the Eagle cruisers would make the next-best mob fleet (any fleet that doesn't contain Belfast cannot, by definition, be the best).

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland is definitely worth investing in. Cleveland, Helena, and Wichita make for a very powerful buffing/debuffing front line. I don't know about Clevelad since she's still new and I don't have her. I don't think any of us have guilds, since they cost gems to make and don't confer any real benefits.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, guilds are currently rather pointless aside from guild chat, and chat itself has the stupidly low character count limit which was obviously designed around Asian languages that can express more in fewer characters. The one I inherited is basically a personal ship build log at this point.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
A got it.
And i have been working on Helena but don't have Wichita yet. Just got King George and Hornet and working on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.