• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Straight from the horse's mouth, releasing April 23rd:

Features faster framerate and other improvements:
With the other improvements we put in place like overhauling the graphics and UI, increasing the frame rate to 60fps from its original 30fps and more, the PlayStation version is the ultimate way to experience the original Azure Striker Gunvolt games, and I hope you all have an absolute blast with them on April 23!

This series any good? Been wondering.
They're simultaneously the heir apparent to the Mega Man Zero/ZX series, for obvious reasons, but they also do their own thing in the gameplay department and they're especially big on the story. It's possible that you may not dig on them for those reasons, but if you're big into anything Mega Man-adjacent, they're absolutely worth a look.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
If you own a switch, buy the switch version. I can't really imagine how they will be improved for the PS4 besides 4K.

Also, is Mighty Gunvolt in this collection? Didn't they give that game away at first on the 3DS? It'd be odd if it wasn't included.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The one that's coming out in the blog post? I guess I'm confused? I know it's new games, but these are enhancements that got patched into other versions, too, so it would be "new" here as well, wouldn't it?
It's just very weird to highlight enhancements that already exist in other versions of the game on other platfoms, and say that therefore " the PlayStation version is the ultimate way to experience the original Azure Striker Gunvolt games", as if they were some exclusive feature to that version.

As for my response to your post, you said they are new to the PS4 version, which sounds like there is already a version on PS4 that these features are being added to, when there isn't. So, they're not new to the PS4 version. They're just IN the PS4 version, same as the others!

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's just very weird to highlight enhancements that already exist in other versions of the game on other platfoms, and say that therefore " the PlayStation version is the ultimate way to experience the original Azure Striker Gunvolt games", as if they were some exclusive feature to that version.

As for my response to your post, you said they are new to the PS4 version, which sounds like there is already a version on PS4 that these features are being added to, when there isn't. So, they're not new to the PS4 version. They're just IN the PS4 version, same as the others!
I get the confusion. i definitely could have worded it better :P

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They're simultaneously the heir apparent to the Mega Man Zero/ZX series, for obvious reasons, but they also do their own thing in the gameplay department and they're especially big on the story. It's possible that you may not dig on them for those reasons, but if you're big into anything Mega Man-adjacent, they're absolutely worth a look.

Going by that description, I would most likely enjoy the series. Thanks!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Some people more hung up on the innocuous description of a game than the game itself. This forum man...

I'm gonna hace to read about these games because I've seen many in the series and I dunno where this one sits at. Would I be fine playing this as my first one?

If you own a switch, buy the switch version. I can't really imagine how they will be improved for the PS4 besides 4K.

Also, is Mighty Gunvolt in this collection? Didn't they give that game away at first on the 3DS? It'd be odd if it wasn't included.
Mighty Gunvolt has been on the PS4 for years. Burst, in the other hand, is still on just Switch and PC, though I expect that to change in the near future.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
How many games are in the series now?
Three main entries: Gunvolt, Gunvolt 2, and recently Luminous Avenger iX. The Striker Pack is a collection of the first two games. There is also the 8-bit crossover spinoff Mighty Gunvolt (also known as Gal Gunvolt on PS4) and its sequel Mighty Gunvolt Burst.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Are they pretty much Mega Man X clones?

Yes and no. The main character, Gunvolt, "tags" enemies with his gun, and then you press another button to use your electric powers to destroy the enemy. Gunvolt only has other movement abilities that X has (like air dash, double jump, etc) under very specific conditions, even though he can kind of hover normally.

Gunvolt feels like a half step between OG Mega man and X from a gameplay standpoint sometimes. And to be honest, I ended up not liking it nearly as much.

Now Copen though... Copen is pretty ace and has his own twist on things (very, very powerful and long air dash and flight options, gun isn't useless on its own and you tag enemies by crashing into them with air dashes).

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Three main entries: Gunvolt, Gunvolt 2, and recently Luminous Avenger iX. The Striker Pack is a collection of the first two games. There is also the 8-bit crossover spinoff Mighty Gunvolt (also known as Gal Gunvolt on PS4) and its sequel Mighty Gunvolt Burst.
Okay cool. Thanks! As a Mega Man fan I've wanted to get into the series but I didn't wanna miss anything thus far. I played Mighty Gunvolt since I got it as a freebie with Mighty No 9.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yes and no. The main character, Gunvolt, "tags" enemies with his gun, and then you press another button to use your electric powers to destroy the enemy. Gunvolt only has other movement abilities that X has (like air dash, double jump, etc) under very specific conditions, even though he can kind of hover normally.

Gunvolt feels like a half step between OG Mega man and X from a gameplay standpoint sometimes. And to be honest, I ended up not liking it nearly as much.

Now Copen though... Copen is pretty ace and has his own twist on things (very, very powerful and long air dash and flight options, gun isn't useless on its own and you tag enemies by crashing into them with air dashes).

Should also be mentioned that the ranking system takes cues from the Mega Man Zero games insofar that perfect runs = better rank.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea there were versions with the same features, btw. The blog post was written by someone from Inticreates, so I guess they're just trying to hype this new release.

I had no idea there were versions with the same features, btw. The blog post was written by someone from Inticreates, so I guess they're just trying to hype this new release.
That's fine and not your fault in the slightest, but I feel that they may have been better off with a setup that ties it more to folks that enjoyed Luminous Avenger Xi and wanted to see where it all started.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I remember hearing the first is a little rough around the edges but the second was really good i think.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This series any good? Been wondering.
This is the best Mega Man content since well before the lazy offering that was 11. The gimmick to each of the playable characters may not appeal quite as much as the more straightforward content in Zero, but all the good stuff from that series made it over here.

Great gameplay, great flavor.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I would've loved if they had made this a Vita/PS4 cross-buy title. Too bad about there being no Vita release.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Pretty much my thoughts. I couldn't gel with Gunvolt, and yet, Copen's gameplay was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Inti Creates is a good developer. I've only finished ASG1 on Switch but it's a pretty fun game. It's particularly good for people that enjoy replaying stages for better scores and stuff like that.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
The games are pretty much a spiritual success to the Mega Man Zero series. If you like Mega Man then you will enjoy these games.

I don't see that, art style is different, music and gameplay too, the only thing that is similar is the effort they put building the world and the characters background.

This games are nothing like Mega Man, I know plenty of Mega Man fans that didn't like it because how different it is.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
I've been kind of enjoying Luminous Avenger iX. More then OG MegaMan but less than X or Zero/ZX. Since Copen apparently plays very similarly in GV2 I might pick this up tho I'm not sure I enjoy hearing how it's base gameplay is more like OG.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best Mega Man content since well before the lazy offering that was 11. The gimmick to each of the playable characters may not appeal quite as much as the more straightforward content in Zero, but all the good stuff from that series made it over here.

Great gameplay, great flavor.

Sounds good to me, will be checking it out sometime.