• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Sunken temple must have taken me over an hour to work out. The strange one with that is that I pretty much knew what I needed to do for the longest time but putting all the words in the right places was the difficult bit.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I din't get the rule for Prison. It seems like it bends the rules the game sets. Can someone explain.

- SPOILER -
- SPOILER -
That's now how spoilers work.

Also, there is no bent rule. The only things that stop overlap (at that point) are things that are stop, and things that are push. Text is, as a hidden default rule, already 'push', and walls are stop per the present rule. There are no other relevant rules in that level. You can push text through the wall once it's no longer stop, can't you? :)

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
The game is much better when you play it with a guide
... how? Doesn't that defeat the central point? I've caved for one level, but the thought of losing that satisfaction when I finally crack a level just seems weird to me.
It's less frustrating and I can just enjoy the logic behind the puzzles without having to do the hard work
Hell no ! What a strange point of view...

Person plays videogame the way they want to, to get the most enjoyment out of, you know...entertainment. Other people get MAD. How dare you, they say!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Person plays videogame the way they want to, to get the most enjoyment out of, you know...entertainment. Other people get MAD. How dare you, they say!
Oh leave off. You know what we were getting at. I'm not mad in the slightest, just incredulous. To say a game solely based around logic IS better with a guide is a little puzzling really.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Ok i've been working at garden-7 'blockade' for a good while now and I think i'm stumped.... I have a pretty good idea of how i think you cross the water but the actual block manipulation to set it up seems impossible so I'm guessing I'm way off:
I'm imagining if you can get for example "pillar on" on top of "water is sink" the conditional will make it so water generally is not sink, but the only way to push a block to a spot two spaces above 'water' is to clear the left and center water tiles of the bottom row of water but there's no way I can find to clear the lower left one.....
If anyone's got any pointers or can just tell me I'm on the wrong track.....

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Ok i've been working at garden-7 'blockade' for a good while now and I think i'm stumped.... I have a pretty good idea of how i think you cross the water but the actual block manipulation to set it up seems impossible so I'm guessing I'm way off:
I'm imagining if you can get for example "pillar on" on top of "water is sink" the conditional will make it so water generally is not sink, but the only way to push a block to a spot two spaces above 'water' is to clear the left and center water tiles of the bottom row of water but there's no way I can find to clear the lower left one.....
If anyone's got any pointers or can just tell me I'm on the wrong track.....
Just finished that one. You're on the right track.

Once you've pushed something through to the culvert with the water, you can only push it up along the center of the room, so whatever it is will end up in a vertical stack.

A stack of what could have a useful effect once you're in that room?
You can push things through something, if it isn't push or stop.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Just finished that one. You're on the right track.

Once you've pushed something through to the culvert with the water, you can only push it up along the center of the room, so whatever it is will end up in a vertical stack.

A stack of what could have a useful effect once you're in that room?
You can push things through something, if it isn't push or stop.
Ahhh got it, thank you very much. I was hesitant to bring text blocks to that side even though I knew it was possible, I guess I figured that part should be as uncluttered as possible if anything. I also assumed the solution would involve some complex combination involving the 'on' block with the rock and pillar. That was a good one.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Prison is f'd but once I got it, I did remember that the game taught me how previously.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Is it the only way to get to the credits?

And didn't understand you well on the other solution, so i can do it now?
Yes, you can reach the credits by beating the stage a specific way. I was just trying to say that you'll use a different command than every other level to get the credits and the command on that level is unique.

I couldn't tell you if there's specific later levels that also give you the option to beat in a way to get the credits. I'm kind of guessing that's not the case but there's hidden achievements so maybe?

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally seeing the Witness like comments I've seen from other people. Such a refreshing twits to the puzzle genre, and they push it to its limits. 46 levels beaten so far, and quite a few left behind.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Can you tell me what other level teaches you that? I still haven't beaten prison and I could use that level as a hint

I honestly tried to look. I'm not sure the particular skill is required for any other level, it's just that I noticed a subtle aspect of how the game works previously in other levels. It's for sure something you have noticed as well, but might not have thought of as a mechanic you can use. It's honestly hard to say without spoiling. I can hint you more overtly which may help a bit but I'd need your permission.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I honestly tried to look. I'm not sure the particular skill is required for any other level, it's just that I noticed a subtle aspect of how the game works previously in other levels. It's for sure something you have noticed as well, but might not have thought of as a mechanic you can use. It's honestly hard to say without spoiling. I can hint you more overtly which may help a bit but I'd need your permission.
Ah Isee. No it's ok, I'll try to find a solution for a while longer, thanks!

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Fanfuckingtastic puzzle game. Was checking if we already had a thread on it, thanks More_Badass for creating it.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
It's a toughie to figure out, and even when you know what to do the execution is slightly tricky.
"Transporter buffer"

I can't figure out a hint that is subtle without giving away the setup.

Hmm, still not sure what to do. Would be good to rule something in or out:

should I have two teleporting objects or three?

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Purchased the game yesterday on Switch. Completed about fifteen stages before having other obligations. Really enjoying the game and anxious to get back into it!

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Hmm, still not sure what to do. Would be good to rule something in or out:

should I have two teleporting objects or three?
Two. You need the third for the other thing.

edit:
I mean, technically you can probably have three. But it's an extra step to set up and an extra many more steps along the way.

Last edited:

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
There's a certain point in what I assume is the endgame that has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming so far.

Level is Baba

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
This game is not for me but I have to say the concept is one of the most unique ones I've ever seen in a video game.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
This game is not for me but I have to say the concept is one of the most unique ones I've ever seen in a video game.

Another thing is that the gameplay doesn't rely on graphics or cpu power. It would be theoretically possible to create a similar game 30 years ago. Quite impressive!

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm too dumb for this. I've hit my first roadblock and it's a mayor one - I've been staring at Pillar Yard for more than an hour now and I simply do not understand what the game wants me to do or achieve - I feel like there is some rule I don't know about but the game doesn't tell me.

So far I genuinely love everything about this game - I'm just not having a lot of fun.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm too dumb for this. I've hit my first roadblock and it's a mayor one - I've been staring at Pillar Yard for more than an hour now and I simply do not understand what the game wants me to do or achieve - I feel like there is some rule I don't know about but the game doesn't tell me.

So far I genuinely love everything about this game - I'm just not having a lot of fun.

"Defeat" only kills what you're currently controlling.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out

-Fall: Ghost Guard
-Fall: Broken Playground
-Ruins: But where's the key

Fall: Catch made me feel very clever when I figured it out.

Not Baba Is Not You. Whoooaa.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Lol the very first level of the volcanic cavern has been destroying me now... I can get the key just one tile from where it needs to be but no further...... I know I'm missing something small or maybe obvious. I don't really love the 'swap' mechanic but I've worked with it so much just on this one level i feel like I've got a decent grasp of it lol.

Really loving this game in general, it looked promising from the beginning but the puzzles themselves are even better than I had expected.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

Pillar Yard is probably the only puzzle that felt kinda cheap to me after about 30 puzzles in. Reason being
all the text that's touching the walls is a basically a red herring and isn't used in the solution. Or at least the solution the game presumably wants you to take.
I like the solution though.

Luckily you're just about to hit the point where the game opens up and you can start choosing from larger range of puzzles, so if you hit a roadblock or get stuck you can just do a different one.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
"Defeat" only kills what you're currently controlling.

Thanks! Got this just after I posted my frustrated post -
I can lose a pillar

I think my original point still stands though. I was just way better and had way more fun with something like The Witness and that had no doubt to do with the amazing world. I will definitely continue since this game is amazing and I love everything about it on paper - it's just that it asks a method of thinking that I apparently need to adjust to slowly.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
About time Sunken Temple.
It take so mush time to understand what to do. Even when i get it it take me some time to succeed.

What a good puzzle game.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Got the game. Baba is cute, but I'm scared to even start the game, this one looks complicated XD

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out

-Fall: Ghost Guard
-Fall: Broken Playground
-Ruins: But where's the key

Fall: Catch made me feel very clever when I figured it out.

Not Baba Is Not You. Whoooaa.
My spoiler for this one is "transporter buffer". Can't say much more without giving it away.
Hoo boy. Heck of a level. Don't even know how to hint. You're going to need to start actually making rules out of things, and then actually being rules.
You need to exercise your rule-combo making. You'll want to be both what you are and what you're going to be.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Trying to avoid hints and guides, but I'm seriously stuck on Skull House in the forrest. There's not a lot of things to do, so it feels like I've tried everything possible... My second time walking away from it.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the first flower gated level.
Made "flag is end" and got an ending complete with achievement and credit sequence.
Interesting, makes me wonder if there's gonna be some crazy stuff to 100% this game. Especially because doing everything in ESA was like going down an insane, FEZ-like, post-game rabbit hole.

I'm absolutely loving this so far.

Last edited: