• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Btw how is the game doing around the globe? In the Spanish e-Shop it's #3 right now!

It's doing very well according to some posts the Switch eShop thread. Seems to be top 10 on most NoE eShops, and it's currently #12 on the NoA eShop. It's also doing great on Steam.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
All this negative talk about Prison and here I consider it one of the best levels in the game.

The moment you actually stumble upon the solution is incredible and just shatters your preconceived conceptions.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This update you talk about is not on Switch right?

Btw how is the game doing around the globe? In the Spanish e-Shop it's #3 right now!
It was 1st on both ranking on the French eShop when I checked yesterday.

EDIT : 24 hours later it still is! Even though this game is English only, haha.

gayqdudu7k0j.jpg

Last edited:

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love this game, but I hate Evaporating River. I really don't know how to solve it, nor my sister, who is also playing. Hopefully something will click soon, as three days have passed already, and we made an agreement to avoid online hints.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Thought I had a super clever solution to "Peril at Every Turn" and it did (from what I had previously thought) satisfy the level's win condition, but instead I learned something new
to win a level, something has to be 'you' even at the very end...

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The level 10, Lock the Door on the Deep Forest is a pure act of psychopathy.

Almost two hours to figure how to complete this bastard.

But the solution, stretching the rules of the game, is so damn satisfying.

A masterclass in level design.

In this level, you almost need to rearrange and hack the verbs, to completely change the purpose of the actions. By creating more powerful verbs not included in the level, simulating their actions with other less powerful verbs.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
Damn these levels are killing me! "Garden-Extra 1: Out at Sea" just took me like two hours to beat, but I did it. Feels good.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think my solution to Jaywalkers United is a multi-step thing of beauty. It's just a bit unfortunate that there's actually a far simpler one.

(I wonder if there's a way to modify the level to make my solution the required one. Might look into that when the editor rolls around)

In the meantime, if you want an extra challenge on that level:

My solution *DID* break "FLAG ON ROCK IS ME"

I think placing a tile with the STOP trait to the left of the IS would do the trick to make this harder version.
Edit: Actually, I think changing the line of Keke a little would have the same effect. Would spoil the image of them all moving as one, but the extra tile would also be annoying!

Last edited:

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I instantly regret my purchase of this game......... because I'm feeling so dumb that I can't beat some of these levels. Baba is You And Hard.

But man does it feel good to find a seemingly ingenious solution to a level. This is a game I'll play in short bursts for a long time.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
....Yup, I've hit my lateral thinking limit for this game.

I went from thinking it was fairly easy at Lake, adequately challenging at Solitary Island, seriously rough on the first half of Temple Ruins, to just outright impossible on the second half. Had to look up a guide for every single one after level 6.

I tried using them as hints at first, just a few seconds of a vid to tell me what to try, but on level 10 I literally couldn't finish it without seeing it done step by step till the end.

Rough times

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
....Yup, I've hit my lateral thinking limit for this game.

I went from thinking it was fairly easy at Lake, adequately challenging at Solitary Island, seriously rough on the first half of Temple Ruins, to just outright impossible on the second half. Had to look up a guide for every single one after level 6.

I tried using them as hints at first, just a few seconds of a vid to tell me what to try, but on level 10 I literally couldn't finish it without seeing it done step by step till the end.

Rough times

Are you skipping around? The first few levels of each world aren't that bad and might give you ideas to progress forward!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Finally solved Tiny Isle after coming back to it following some other worlds. I knew the general end goal but just missed the obvious in retrospect steps to it. Though that could describe almost every puzzle.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i feel like i met a wall that i can't overcome, i can't solve any of the levels i have right now, i feel like i'm missing something obvious... I can't handle well when there's more than one thing moving and i need to plan where they're gonna go or push the next thing in the correct place

still an amazing game though

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this isnt off topic, but can you guys recommend me other great puzzle games I might have missed? Last games I enjoyed were Talos Principle, Fez, and Witness, but I feel like these games are too far and in between.

And IDK if it's just Era, but it seems from these impressions, the game hits a huge wall for players or becomes overwhelming. Feel like this has always made puzzle games intimidating. Do you guys think this game could make the puzzles easier without sacrificing whats already designed?

Like a hint system, refreshing player memories with tutorials, etc

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have such a love hate relationship with this game! My only issue is that I feel there aren't multiple solutions, but there should be. If that makes sense? Only been playing for an hour though. I keep trying to do stuff with 'and' etc and trying to do other funky shit but shame it only works on a straight line etc, would have been fun if you could be a little more experimental (like Scribblenauts). Maybe that happens later in the game.

But that aside it's a cool idea with decent execution. Having fun, but a rollercoaster of getting frustrated one moment only for the solution to be bleeding obvious the next :)
Hope this isnt off topic, but can you guys recommend me other great puzzle games I might have missed? Last games I enjoyed were Talos Principle, Fez, and Witness, but I feel like these games are too far and in between.
QUBE 2 (also on Switch) and The Turing Test are hugely recommended if you like The Talos Principle. Thank me later :)

Last edited:

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017

And IDK if it's just Era, but it seems from these impressions, the game hits a huge wall for players or becomes overwhelming. Feel like this has always made puzzle games intimidating. Do you guys think this game could make the puzzles easier without sacrificing whats already designed?

Like a hint system, refreshing player memories with tutorials, etc
It could do, and I like the idea of hints and tutorials, but the feeling of success in this game is like finally beating that souls boss that has been pounding your face for an hour.

My understanding is that levels are the tutorials and a well designed game should teach you the mechanics within the main game without making it feel too hand holdy. From some of the comments in this thread I think there was some functionals that aren't obvious and we're found by trial and error.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Baba is You kinda feels like Stephen's Sausage Roll to me. It's just as clever and just as tough.

I'm also a big fan of Zachtronics. They make a different style of puzzle game, and they teach you the same principles used in programming. It's more about coming up with your own solution to an open-ended problem rather than figuring out exactly how the level designer wants you to think. Opus Magnum is the most recent game and it's very approachable. Infinifactory is good for beginners too.

I'd even say that Into the Breach is as much a puzzle game as it is a strategy game or a roguelite. Incredibly tight design.

Last edited:

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I've started using a guide if I feel like I'm absolutely stumped on a puzzle. This game is basically the only game I've played since it's come out, haha.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I have such a love hate relationship with this game! My only issue is that I feel there aren't multiple solutions, but there should be. If that makes sense? Only been playing for an hour though. I keep trying to do stuff with 'and' etc and trying to do other funky shit but shame it only works on a straight line etc, would have been fun if you could be a little more experimental (like Scribblenauts). Maybe that happens later in the game.

There are multiple solutions to many of the puzzles.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm sitting at 82 levels completed, and Skull House is destroying my brain.

Doing every crazy experiment, nothing seems to work.

But I will remain strong and try to not use a guide :)

May 5, 2018
Mouse Hole was giving me a headache for a while, but earlier this morning I finally figured out how to beat it. Game continues to impress, especially after beating the "Level Finale".

Edit: Does anyone have any tips on Peril at Every Turn? I thought I found the solution but I keep messing up.
I know I'm suppose to keep the two Babas for pushing Keke to the flag, but I don't know how with the word Keke always leading to one Baba defeat.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Progress has really slowed for me at about 85 puzzles and 7 flowers in. Probably going to take a break when Sekiro comes out and hopefully when I get back some levels will click easily.

Hearing it has over 200...I dunno. I may get burnt out before then, or it may just be like SSR where I beat it slowly over the course of a month. Either way the game seems really long since it's not getting any easier.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I got to the late game puzzles and this game just went from very good to maybe the best game I've played in over a year.

Level Is Baba

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
God I so badly want to get to those late game and hidden content spoilers (that I haven't clicked on), especially because I unlocked the 7th flower gate and the new thing introduced there opens up some crazy possibilities.

But right now I'm just beating my head against the wall.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wish the game had done a better job of explaining that you can hold A for more actions then just the first one that introduces that mechanic during :.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the late game puzzles and this game just went from very good to maybe the best game I've played in over a year.

Level Is Baba

Just did that myself.

(Spoilers beyond that point)

And then both a proper solve and the other solve of the companion level. And then a massive grin.

Although...

(Spoiler for ???-1,. and if you don't know what that means, stop right now!)

A little disappointed that one of the things I wanted to try; "L IS M" to change LOVE into MOVE - wasn't a working thing. I guess they'd also then have to figure out what a WAMM is!

I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago. I didn't because I was delighted by a puzzle game!

Deleted member 14312

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am now absolutely dreading the appearance of "Level" blocks in the Meta area. It's a double whammy of identifying multiple solutions to an already infuriating puzzle and figuring out how to use those solutions to actually progress to the next level.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Just did Prison in 30min or so. Girlfriend still stuck on it, ha!
Cute trick. I'm not sure it was fair because you're not guaranteed to know how the tiles interact, but luckily I had done it before.

Seems like moving to the world north is easier than southeast.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha the method to get to the
??? world
is pretty awesome. Can definitely tell the creator of Environmental Station Alpha made this.

Quick question about it though

I turned level 8 on the world map into Baba but never actually won the stage and I can't seem to enter it anymore. Was the stage winnable in the first place and I need not worry about it or is there a way to do the stage "properly"?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the game had done a better job of explaining that you can hold A for more actions then just the first one that introduces that mechanic during :.

Not quite sure what you mean; you don't 'hold A for an action'. A is 'wait', while time elapses around you.

Over 100 puzzles down, now, and as mentioned a little upthread, now things are getting incredibly creative. That said, I have lots of levels remaining unsolved in the more conventional levels, might fill those out a bit first.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
6 of one half a dozen of the other I'm still pressing/holding A to make things happen while I wait.

The point being that thinking about it that way round makes it quite clear that it's not a case of thinking that A might trigger things (and then try to deduce what). A always does what a move does, without the actual move.

I thought your original post suggested that you thought that A triggered a move action directly. Maybe I misunderstood it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The point being that thinking about it that way round makes it quite clear that it's not a case of thinking that A might trigger things (and then try to deduce what). A always does what a move does, without the actual move.

I thought your original post suggested that you thought that A triggered a move action directly. Maybe I misunderstood it.

My complaint was the first handful of stages with the
move
rule keep reminding you to "press a" yet the first stage with
tele
does not. It was not made clear to me that a is about letting time pass without moving, I thought it was a special ability of the first rule.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
damn i want to progress but i don't want to look for the solution... i feel like i'll never be able to finish it by myself, it fucks up my brain too much!

I have like 10-15 levels to play and can't solve any of them!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My complaint was the first handful of stages with the
move
rule keep reminding you to "press a" yet the first stage with
tele
does not. It was not made clear to me that a is about letting time pass without moving, I thought it was a special ability of the first rule.

It does actually say 'wait'.

C1TdA6U.png

I can empathise, this relates back a little to something I did complain about earlier; something the game taught me but then didn't particularly hammer home (I was comparing it to The Witness, that really hashes out a concept in detail to underline it). I think an occasional issue in Baba is You is it's a little too easy in early stages to hit a solution without having a full understanding of a given mechanic and then get caught out when that more-advanced understanding is required in a later level, but that later level isn't a good environment in which to learn that more-advanced understanding - in my case it was precise behaviour of SINK that I got hung up on.

But then I'm not necessarily certain that's a problem with the game, I go back and forth on the issue. At what point does it become the player's responsibility to have properly learned a lesson?

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
But then I'm not necessarily certain that's a problem with the game, I go back and forth on the issue. At what point does it become the player's responsibility to have properly learned a lesson?
A solution could have been to offer a higher number of easier levels that teach you a mechanic, but in different contexts/combinations.

It would solve what I consider the two flaws of the game:
1. The difficulty is ramping up too fast for most people.
2. You're often able to solve easy levels without fully understanding all the mechanics.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It does actually say 'wait'.

C1TdA6U.png

I can empathise, this relates back a little to something I did complain about earlier; something the game taught me but then didn't particularly hammer home (I was comparing it to The Witness, that really hashes out a concept in detail to underline it). I think an occasional issue in Baba is You is it's a little too easy in early stages to hit a solution without having a full understanding of a given mechanic and then get caught out when that more-advanced understanding is required in a later level, but that later level isn't a good environment in which to learn that more-advanced understanding - in my case it was precise behaviour of SINK that I got hung up on.

As someone who was an education major, when a the majority of your class fails an exam it reflects on the teacher more then the students. Considering enough people have complained about that exact issue I think Baba Is You could have done a much better job slowly easing players into the advanced stuff.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
As someone who was an education major, when a the majority of your class fails an exam it reflects on the teacher more then the students. Considering enough people have complained about that exact issue I think Baba Is You could have done a much better job slowly easing players into the advanced stuff.
It probably also needs a 'wait' reminder when dealing with 'Tele' for the first time to reinforce that Wait works for all instructions, but that's it I think.

At the same time, I haven't seen many complaints about that specific issue

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Enough people = majority? I have not seen the complaint about A=wait a lot.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
It's doing very well according to some posts the Switch eShop thread. Seems to be top 10 on most NoE eShops, and it's currently #12 on the NoA eShop. It's also doing great on Steam.
When I looked last night it was #1 in the UK, both Download Only and the chart that includes physical games.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

There's a good thread of puzzle games here, and a thread exploring people's favourites here.

One that hasn't been mentioned much - which I was just talking about in another thread - is Deadly Rooms Of Death - DROD. It's a series that's been going for years - I first played it when I was in university, half a lifetime ago, and it's got some stunningly well-designed puzzles; it's one of the finest puzzle games ever made.

It also looks kinda poop. But it's so good.

Edit: Random screenshot of early Baba Is You in the general puzzle thread is interesting because it shows a level which probably evolved into Fall-8:

ss_18dcee614f749978d2ce186c91cab5d0fafa7145.1920x1080.jpg

4nmdMqn.png

Last edited: