• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Ah that sounds really, really good! I like it when I have to let a puzzle stew in my brain for a little bit until I can figure it out.
Me too, man. The Witness had several of those for me, too.

I've had a few puzzles in Baba Is You that left me saying "whatever, there's no way to do this." The next day I'll go back, and 15 seconds in I say "WOW, why didn't I think to try this obvious thing" and I nail it.

It's really easy to fall into the trap of taking things at face value. If you see walls as walls, water as water, goals as goals... You're not going to get very far. Everything is subject to redefinition.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I've seen mentions of 15-20+ hours to do around 100+ puzzles

No way if you are following the numbered order of the levels, which in each world is tied to the difficulty.

In 15-20 hours is only possible to complete something like 50 levels.

Unless you skip the hard levels, and try to complete only the easy levels in each world.

Maybe, then it's possible to clear 100 levels.

This is a 80-100 hours game, completing the 100% without using guides.

Some hard levels have taken me more than 2 hours.

And I'm not abandoning each world until having completed all the levels.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Me too, man. The Witness had several of those for me, too.

I've had a few puzzles in Baba Is You that left me saying "whatever, there's no way to do this." The next day I'll go back, and 15 seconds in I say "WOW, why didn't I think to try this obvious thing" and I nail it.

It's really easy to fall into the trap of taking things at face value. If you see walls as walls, water as water, goals as goals... You're not going to get very far. Everything is subject to redefinition.

If I hadn't been sold already, that would've done it, haha. I've been waiting for a long time for a game like this.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Baba is
tenor.gif

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No way if you are following the numbered order of the levels, which in each world is tied to the difficulty.

In 15-20 hours is only possible to complete something like 50 levels.

Unless you skip the hard levels, and try to complete only the easy levels in each world.

Maybe, then it's possible to clear 100 levels.

This is a 80-100 hours game, completing the 100% without using guides.

Some hard levels have taken me more than 2 hours.

And I'm not abandoning each world until having completed all the levels.
Wow, that's massive.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, so hyped to see that the execution is living up to the brilliant concept. Gah, I should have called in sick today!

Edit: Nevermind! Lol.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018

"Update: The game is now available on the EU eShop, and will be available at 6 PM PDT on the US eShop due to a blunder on my part. My sincere apologies."

Oh no. Well 8 hours to go.

Mar 29, 2018
Three (!) years ago. Time is passing too quickly!

(Obra Dinn fits in last year, and is worthy of the same mantle)
Holy shit! Damn that's scary.

Re Obra Dinn: Hmm. Maybe. Obra Dinn is different but I think you might be right. It's not very like the other games we're discussing. These other titles (Witness, Sausage Roll) have a core mechanic which they develop and twist in different directions, constantly flipping it and putting it in new contexts... Obra Dinn doesn't really have a core mechanic that gets inverted - the core mechanic is a simple process of ensuring you have all the information, that you're done with after a few hours and don't need to interact with again (once the book is filled). E.g. you're given a bunch of information and have to parse it properly – rather than the actual "finding" of information changing and flipping all the time, with new rules and parameters and depth being introduced. Obra Dinn is more like analysing a spreadsheet and filling blanks than trying to come up with functions on a spreadsheet that work (these other games).

Basically: it's not a pure puzzle game like the others, but a narrative detective experience (which has some puzzle elements), if that makes sense?

100% worth bringing up though.

May 5, 2018

"Update: The game is now available on the EU eShop, and will be available at 6 PM PDT on the US eShop due to a blunder on my part. My sincere apologies."

Oh no. Well 8 hours to go.

Welp, I had the day off and was really looking forward to playing Baba is You, but that's a bummer knowing it won't be out until 9PM on the East Coast. All is good Hempuli, I know an awesome puzzler is gonna find a home on my Switch at some point.

I could pick it up on Steam, but I'd rather play on Switch.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the prototype version of this game on a stream a while ago and fell in love with it instantly, will definitely get the full version when I get the chance.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! Damn that's scary.

Re Obra Dinn: Hmm. Maybe. Obra Dinn is different but I think you might be right. It's not very like the other games we're discussing. These other titles (Witness, Sausage Roll) have a core mechanic which they develop and twist in different directions, constantly flipping it and putting it in new contexts... Obra Dinn doesn't really have a core mechanic that gets inverted - the core mechanic is a simple process of ensuring you have all the information, that you're done with after a few hours and don't need to interact with again (once the book is filled). E.g. you're given a bunch of information and have to parse it properly – rather than the actual "finding" of information changing and flipping all the time, with new rules and parameters and depth being introduced. Obra Dinn is more like analysing a spreadsheet and filling blanks than trying to come up with functions on a spreadsheet that work (these other games).

Basically: it's not a pure puzzle game like the others, but a narrative detective experience (which has some puzzle elements), if that makes sense?

100% worth bringing up though.

That's fair. I'd call it a puzzle game because I play a lot of text adventures so I'm used to the sort of concept where puzzles are tightly ingrained with - and pivot on - a narrative, rather than the more rules-based structure of The Witness and this, but yeah, it's quite fair to say it's not the same sort of puzzley title.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Now the question is whether I stay late at work to download this on my Switch so I can play it on the commute home, or wait until I get home.

Hmmmmmm...decisions, decisions.

Mar 29, 2018
That's fair. I'd call it a puzzle game because I play a lot of text adventures so I'm used to the sort of concept where puzzles are tightly ingrained with - and pivot on - a narrative, rather than the more rules-based structure of The Witness and this, but yeah, it's quite fair to say it's not the same sort of puzzley title.
Totally get you. I suppose it's a distinction between narrative-puzzle and rule-set puzzle.

People like Jon Blow would probably balk at Dinn being mentioned in such a conversation! (Not that I agree.)

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is the same with every complex task. In IT, when you struggle on a bug, the best way to solve it it to go outside taking a walk and coming back 5 minutes later. It is difficult to do, because when this is an urgent situation, you can't say "come back in 5 minutes" while everyone sweating you resolve it.
That's why, most of the time, bug are resolved when you are going to pee.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Im only able to play 15 minutes for now but I really like it so far. I'm glad it has a world map similar to Snakebird so you always have a good choice of levels if you get stuck.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I'm very intrigued by the concept but I doubt it's my kind of game. I just lack creativity and motivation to tinker with a game that much. It reminds me a bit of Scribblenauts where I only spammed a very limited number of items to solve the puzzles and barely came up with creative solutions that make the game "fun". Still, I might get Baba at some point later.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very intrigued by the concept but I doubt it's my kind of game. I just lack creativity and motivation to tinker with a game that much. It reminds me a bit of Scribblenauts where I only spammed a very limited number of items to solve the puzzles and barely came up with creative solutions that make the game "fun". Still, I might get Baba at some point later.
It's more Witness/Sausage Roll than Scribblenauts. Learning the rules and adapting to the game's language rather than free-form creative solutions

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This game also reminds me a lot of Recursed, another fascinating puzzler with an ingeniously creative core concept that requires you to rewire your brain and adapt to its ruleset. Every room is an item that can be looped and copied and placed inside another room.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
This game also reminds me a lot of Recursed, another fascinating puzzler with an ingeniously creative core concept that requires you to rewire your brain and adapt to its ruleset. Every room is an item that can be looped and copied and placed inside another room.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing this week :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
Damn, the Lake Extra Stage 2 is really getting on my nerves. I can't see any way to solve this thing...

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I just can't decide if I wanna get this or not.

The idea is appealing, but I SUCK at puzzle games.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm beginning to realise why I rarely buy puzzle games.

This game is legitimately causing me stress and I'm not even out of the second set of levels.

Like, I've tried literally every option I have and nothing's worked. It's so frustrating!

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Did not even know this game existed until this thread, now I will buy it when I get home from work today. So many games below the radar.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to realise why I rarely buy puzzle games.

This game is legitimately causing me stress and I'm not even out of the second set of levels.

Like, I've tried literally every option I have and nothing's worked. It's so frustrating!
What are you up to? One of the Extra levels?

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on Lake Extra 2 and now I'm on Lake 11

I'm just not sure I can handle hundreds of stages of this.
The solution (or rather the rule it's teaching you) to Lake 11 is hidden in plain sight
"Flag is Flag" is the clue. Try experimenting with the other words there

Plum

May 31, 2018
The solution (or rather the rule it's teaching you) to Lake 11 is hidden in plain sight
"Flag is Flag" is the clue. Try experimenting with the other words there

I figured that one out, but thanks anyway!

Jelly is Baba
Flag is Win

I've still got no idea what to do with Lake Extra 2, though. I thought I had something but the extremely restricted space makes it seem impossible.