• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
logo.gif

http://www.hempuli.com/baba/

$14.99 (Steam, Humble, Itch.io)
Switch
Releases March 13th

Baba Is You is an award-winning puzzle game where you can change the rules by which you play. In every level, the rules themselves are present as blocks you can interact with; by manipulating them, you can change how the level works and cause surprising, unexpected interactions! With some simple block-pushing you can turn yourself into a rock, turn patches of grass into dangerously hot obstacles, and even change the goal you need to reach to something entirely different.

The game has over 200 levels that experiment with the game's mechanics in a multitude of ways, requiring the player to understand and manipulate the rules of the game and figure out devious ways to make the objects in the game world interact.

Out of all the GIFs and videos, this one most succinctly showcases this wild possibilities of the game's concept
GdzHZNN.gif

Also noteworthy, the creator Arvi Teikari is donating a 10% of his personal income to the charity GivingWhatWeCan.org
Something that is expressed in the initial introductory screen:

jT6JhtV.jpg

Eurogamer
Somewhere in amongst all this you get to see the illicit magic of games, where lava is only hot if you say it is, and where hot things only make you melt if you say they do anyway. There's a chuckling thrill to ignoring a door and simply changing the text to allow you to walk through the surrounding walls instead.

RockPaperShotgun
Completely wonderful. Original, inspired, challenging, and most importantly of all, that constant sense of "Oh no, how will I ever do this one!" so quickly followed by, "I AM A GENIUS!" It's a very, very smart game, that has the humility to let you, the player, feel like the clever one.

Polygon
One of the best puzzle games in years...

Baba Is You asks me to toss my assumptions about how rules in video games work, to analyze how and why they exist in the first place. And that sort of reprogramming of my brain, oddly enough, happens best when the game is turned off. It's easier to scrap all my tired video game instincts when I'm away from it.

Kotaku
Even when it's hard, Baba Is You is delightful. The simple art and chirpy soundtrack help to offset frustration, as does the ability to skip certain puzzles in a cluster if you're really stuck. While playing, I find myself both swearing and smiling. I'm charmed by the game, even when I rage against the devilish placement of words that make a level that seems breezy into a maddening brainteaser. Similar to coding-based games like The Magic Circle and Human Resource Machine, changing a level's rules is a powerful feeling. Puzzling through code logic is a lovely insight into what's going on under the hood of video games.

TechRaptor
Baba Is You takes a decades-old puzzle concept and flips it on its head in a very innovative manner. The game's charming atmosphere goes well with the relaxing yet thoughtful stages that force players to do crazy things with what the game gives them. If you're a fan of puzzle games, this is definitely a game you'll want to pick up.

CGM
Baba is You is a delightful puzzle game filled with absurd solutions and situations, asking players to discard what they think they know about games to solve them. Its fluid ruleset makes for some complex solutions for players to find, and its playful nature draws a wonderful creativity from its players.

Nindiespotlight
Quibbles aside, it's hard to deny that Baba is You is a pretty brilliant breath of fresh air in the puzzle space. I love the concept of winning in a game being tied to rejecting and then changing the rules to find success, and would be intrigued to see this applied elsewhere. The notion of circumventing traditional rules and encouraging people to apply more creativity is a great one, and deserves to be explored further. As an initial foray into this concept Baba Is You manages to be refreshing and also frustrating but true puzzle fans would be making a mistake not to give it a spin.

image3.png

image6.png

Last edited:

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
How long until this shows up on storefronts? It's already 13 March in Australia.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so creative, heard about it this morning and was immediately interested.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be getting it at the end of the month and enjoying it over a trip :) really excited, been craving a new Switch puzzle game.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a post on the Steam forums from someone playng the game that it took them 20 hours to do 116 puzzles (the game has over 200)

Also, an impression from the trailer thread
I've been playing for a few days and can confirm that the game is damn smart, damn hard, and damn satisfying. I have literally spent entire hours banging my head against the wall over a few of the puzzles, and that was before I even made it out of the second world.

Then I see a solution and think "of COURSE, you dummy!" This game is literally nonstop WTF-to-aha! moments.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hear of this game until I saw people gushing over it in the eShop thread. Now I'm extremely interested. I am worried I'm too dumb, but I'll give it my best effort!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to play this. A few users in the monthly eShop thread have early copies and they're all raving about it.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
YES.

The free version of this got serious acclaim at IGF a few years back; I used it as a good example for my students. Super stoked to play the full version.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The Homestuck fan in me had to do a triple take on the title of the game because of... reasons.

Regardless this looks really really cool.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DANGIT I don't need another game to distract me from another backlog game!

It looks so clever though...

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
A friendly reminder that its creator, Arvi Teikari is donating a 10% of his personal income to GivingWhatWeCan.org, so every purchase of the game will serve to help people in need.

Something that is expressed in the initial introductory screen:

jT6JhtV.jpg

(It will be great if More_Badass add this to the OT of the game)

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The concept sounds awesome and that glowing review might be enough to get me to go in on it tomorrow. Helps that I'm between games at the moment as well haha.

Last edited:

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Darn, I was hoping to get it since it's already the 13th in Europe but apparently it's not live yet.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a game I will admire more than actually complete, as I feel like I will feel like a major dumb dumb by the end.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Oh wow is this out? I saw it on GetIndieGaming YouTube video and I was sold.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The praise in the eShop thread is like The Witness/Celeste-level effusive about the game

I'm 100% on board already, but have you got links to those impressions? I looked back a few pages in the thread but didn't see anything.

If it's anywhere close to what The Witness does, I will be extremely happy. That along with FEZ are among my favorite games.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question - was the first 'reveal' for the Switch version in the Nindies Showcase (with the English narrator)?

English as in bangers and mash.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Man this looks so clever. Love puzzle games, I need a new one, but my recent faves are Talos Principle, Fez, and Witness... wonder what else Ive missed since Witness.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Man this looks so clever. Love puzzle games, I need a new one, but my recent faves are Talos Principle, Fez, and Witness... wonder what else Ive missed since Witness.

I quite liked Minit. It blends some of that creative type of puzzle-solving from FEZ and The Witness with Zelda. It's not as complex as those games, but very worthwhile regardless.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Did you play Stephen's Sausage Roll?

The Witness and Sausage Roll released the same year, and I'd argue Sausage Roll was the best puzzle game of that year. It's a masterpiece of elegant design

Also:

Gorogoa
Opus Magnum
Fidel Dungeon Rescue
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Obduction

Last edited:

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Is this out on Steam? It's the 13th in Australia but it's still coming soon on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like exactly my type of thing and I've had my eye on it for a while, but I'm waiting to hear about quantity of content. My hands are full right now and I'm obeying a personal moratorium on new games, so I'm really just leaning on excuses to hold out until later.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on mobile versions? After being addicted to Snakebird for a while, I realized that my phone is by far the best platform for puzzle games such as this.

If not, I'll just get the Steam version.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I saw this recently and thought it was really clever and creative. Will pick it up someday for sure.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I waited until 2 am for the game to appear. That's unfortunate because I have a long experiment at work today and I would have loved to play it, instead of advancing on other important stuff I have to do,

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If I can finish it before The Division 2 drops I'll be very happy, but 200 levels sounds pretty meaty given the price.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it's not too difficult like Stephen's Sausage Roll and fun to play around with.