• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The level design gives me Sausage Roll vibes, and that's high praise considering I think Sausage Roll is a masterpiece of level/puzzle design. Baba Is You is really clever at making things possible/impossible or restricting options or alluding to solutions purely through the placement of words and the shape of the level. Given the nature of the mechanics, I can't even imagine how much time was spent on polishing and fine-tuning these puzzles
Never played sausage roll, keep hoping it gets released on switch but I really want to play it since I saw that talk from Jonathan blow talking about it. Three seems to be a similar game on switch, Pipes push paradise, have you played it?

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gosh, I'm so stupid. 20 or so levels and I'm already hitting a brick wall in all directions.
Why can't I be good to the games I love!

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Never played sausage roll, keep hoping it gets released on switch but I really want to play it since I saw that talk from Jonathan blow talking about it. Three seems to be a similar game on switch, Pipes push paradise, have you played it?
Pipe Push is fiendlishly hard too and pretty clever to, in a fashion similar to Sausage Roll. Not as clever, complex, or as well-designed, but I would recommend it as one of the puzzle gems of last year

Plum

May 31, 2018
To be honest I'm not a big fan of how quickly the game changes from logic puzzles to "figure out how to move these blocks" puzzles.

"Assembly Team" on the Island level is pretty much just a matter of moving two things in the right way (I've got no fucking clue which way). That's not very fun to me because it just feels like a case of trying random shit until you win.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I'm not a big fan of how quickly the game changes from logic puzzles to "figure out how to move these blocks" puzzles.

"Assembly Team" on the Island level is pretty much just a matter of moving two things in the right way (I've got no fucking clue which way). That's not very fun to me.
But that's always the core of Sokoban-style puzzle games. From what I played, figuring how to make something happen (the logic and rules) and making something happen (the spatial) are pretty closely intertwined

Plum

May 31, 2018
But that's always the core of Sokoban-style puzzle games. From what I played, figuring how to make something happen (the logic and rules) and making something happen (the spatial) are pretty closely intertwined

That's not really what the game advertised itself as, though. I bought it thinking that it would be a collection of logic puzzles with clever code logic; instead I'm just trying to figure out which specific sets of movements make one robot go next to the other one. In many of the recent puzzles it seems like the "x is you" part is playing second-fiddle to spatial awareness stuff and that's really not what I expected at all.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Baba Is GOAT

No seriously, this game is a gem. At times it reminds a lot of programming language and i totally see the dev making the game with this mindset, i mean you literally manipulate the arguments of a function/the content of a variable in some way to find the solution

Oct 27, 2017
Crap, I think this is gonna be a rough go for me. I'm stuck on Grass Yard, #7 on the first gd map. Feel like I must be missing something extraordinarily obvious and it has to do with starting off with Flag Is You but beyond that I'm stumped. I may be too dumb for this game.

Edit seconds later: And I just figured it out. Still might be too dumb for this game given how obvious the solution was.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah, I've hit a major roadblock and I'm not even 2 hours in. I can't find a solution to either Tiny Pond nor Assembly Team (Island Level 6/7 respectively) and any time I think "this works!" the game says "fuck no lol you idiot"

I'd be lying if I said this was fun

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crap, I think this is gonna be a rough go for me. I'm stuck on Grass Yard, #7 on the first gd map. Feel like I must be missing something extraordinarily obvious and it has to do with starting off with Flag Is You but beyond that I'm stumped. I may be too dumb for this game.
you can walk through the wall as it's not marked as stop
also you can make a "cross" with Baba is you horizontally and Flag is win vertically using the same is at the center. This thing is going to be very useful in future levels and I always hate myself for never having it coming to mind asap lol

Oct 27, 2017
you can walk through the wall as it's not marked as stop
also you can make a "cross" with Baba is you horizontally and Flag is win vertically using the same is at the center. This thing is going to be very useful in future levels and I always hate myself for never having it coming to mind asap lol

Hahah I immediately solved another level with it--
Lake-3
--and felt like a god damned genius

Plum

May 31, 2018
Solved 'Assembly Team'

Felt like a right goddamn idiot when I realised what the solution was.

Tiny Pod is still some proper bullshit, though. Seriously, what the fuck???

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone know when this is supposed to be available on the Switch? I was planning on playing it with my wife this evening and the clock just keeps ticking away. :(

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone know when this is supposed to be available on the Switch? I was planning on playing it with my wife this evening and the clock just keeps ticking away. :(

Update: The game is now available on the EU eShop, and will be available at 6 PM PDT on the US eShop due to a blunder on my part. My sincere apologies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
On the first level of the Forest world and, yeah, this is not what I expected at all.

I can see the good design there but I simply didn't buy this game expecting it to be so heavily focused around moving a tiny selection of things around in a very specific order; it seems that in many levels the advertised 'coding' feature of the game barely even comes into it.

This is probably just me being angry that I'm stupid or something but I can't help but feel that I've been sold something different to what the trailers said I'd buy.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
I've been stuck on Tiny Isle for so long... and I'm too stubborn to try other levels (or go to sleep) before I figure this out.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im surprise that a puzzle game get so much attention on ERA. Not that it shouldn't but usually only bigger game with marketing got recognised like witness, wargroove, baba just came out od nowhere today and thread already 7 pages

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
'Baba Is You' continues developing quite a fan art following.

Here is a piano cover of the Water is Sink theme.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm already hopelessly stuck, lol. I finished 7 levels. Me not smart.

Edit: Me is not smart. After being stuck on that first lake level forever, I found the solution. Sigh. And then proceeded to plow through several more. I'm now up to 20 levels beat!

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's a two-part puzzle, so I split the solution into two spoilers (direct puzzle solution warning):

Star is push. Push the star under the skull. Star is sink.
Crab and Baba is you.
oh
my
god

I'm an idiot
I've been on this puzzle for ages, I would've never thought of that

fuck this game is both wonderful and amazingly frustrating, I think I need to take a break

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time to call it a night. 1:50 elapsed so far, and 33 puzzles down; I've just been playing things in order and hitting the Extras as I go (So two Extras down in Lake, three down in Island). Yeah, liking it, although I was starting to feel a little repetitive towards the end - that may just have been tiredness kicking in, mind.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is this game a bit of a Zachlike with multiple solutions, or does it have specific solutions?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've hit a major roadblock and I'm not even 2 hours in. I can't find a solution to either Tiny Pond nor Assembly Team (Island Level 6/7 respectively) and any time I think "this works!" the game says "fuck no lol you idiot"

I'd be lying if I said this was fun

The interesting thing is that my answer for the Extra that unlocks after Tiny Pond is so similar to my answer for Tiny Pond that I think I may have missed an easier solution to Tiny Pond. Way back when I hinted for The Witness I did gradual hints indicating my train of thought to try to help people pick up on *how* to think about these puzzles, so here's roughly what I worked through for this:

Hint 1: Isolating the problem
You've probably cottoned on early on that you need to get the WIN out, and you can't do that unless you remove a block of water. The water is SHUT and Baba is OPEN, so you can do it that way... but that would kill Baba

Hint 2: Further thoughts
There's no PUSH in this level; the only way to manipulate any object is through making it YOU.

Hint 3: Getting specific with the problem.
So you need to march an object you control into the water. Which will kill that object.

Hint 4: Logical conclusion
There must be a way to do that without it being a fail state

Hint 5: Inspiration (and this is where things get solutiony)
If *two* things are YOU, killing one doesn't fail things

Hint 6: Further wrinkle
Careful, now. You need these multiple things to be both YOU and OPEN, otherwise they don't have the necessary functionality. You can't do KEY AND FLAG IS YOU.

Hint 7: Next revelation
But what if they aren't two *different* things?

Hint 8: Actual solution (at least to the first bit, although the second bit is pretty trivial:
KEY IS FLAG
FLAG IS YOU AND OPEN
(destroy appropriate water tile with one of the flags)

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprise that a puzzle game get so much attention on ERA. Not that it shouldn't but usually only bigger game with marketing got recognised like witness, wargroove, baba just came out od nowhere today and thread already 7 pages
I recognize a lot of posters in this thread from Nintendo Era. Switch users most likely know this game from the indie highlight last year. There are also enthusiastic members like Epilexia who keeps gushing the game in the eShop thread before launch. :D

Plum

May 31, 2018
The interesting thing is that my answer for the Extra that unlocks after Tiny Pond is so similar to my answer for Tiny Pond that I think I may have missed an easier solution to Tiny Pond. Way back when I hinted for The Witness I did gradual hints indicating my train of thought, so here's roughly what I worked through for this:

Hint 1: Isolating the problem
You've probably cottoned on early on that you need to get the WIN out, and you can't do that unless you remove a block of water. The water is SHUT and Baba is OPEN, so you can do it that way... but that would kill Baba

Hint 2: Further thoughts
There's no PUSH in this level; the only way to manipulate any object is through making it YOU.

Hint 3: Getting specific with the problem.
So you need to march an object you control into the water. Which will kill that object.

Hint 4: Logical conclusion
There must be a way to do that without it being a fail state

Hint 5: Inspiration (and this is where things get solutiony)
If *two* things are YOU, killing one doesn't fail things

Hint 6: Further wrinkle
Careful, now. You need these multiple things to be both YOU and OPEN, otherwise they don't have the necessary functionality. You can't do KEY AND FLAG IS YOU.

Hint 7: Next revelation
But what if they aren't two *different* things?

Hint 8: Actual solution (at least to the first bit, although the second bit is pretty trivial:
KEY IS FLAG
FLAG IS YOU AND OPEN
(destroy appropriate water tile with one of the flags)
BABA IS YOU/FLAG IS WIN (crossways)

Thanks for the hints! That's definitely the direction I was going and, damn, it definitely does feel a lot easier in retrospect. Frankly if there was less of a focus on spatial awareness stuff and precise movement I'd be enjoying this game a lot more because I do love the 'programming' aspect to it.

I'm currently stuck on the first levels for fall (Hop) and the second level for Temple Ruins (Tunnel Vision); I'll try figure them out myself, though! If not do you mind if a send you a PM or something?

EDIT: Got Tunnel Vision!

"Rock Has Rock" makes perfect sense but damn did it take me a while to figure that out.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the hints! That's definitely the direction I was going and, damn, it definitely does feel a lot easier in retrospect. Frankly if there was less of a focus on spatial awareness stuff and precise movement I'd be enjoying this game a lot more because I do love the 'programming' aspect to it.

I'm currently stuck on the first levels for fall (Hop) and the second level for Temple Ruins (Tunnel Vision); I'll try figure them out myself, though! If not do you mind if a send you a PM or something?

EDIT: Got Tunnel Vision!

"Rock Has Rock" makes perfect sense but damn did it take me a while to figure that out.

I'm leaving it be for tonight so I won't be getting any further; Island Extra 3 was the last I finished. I might be asking you for help in due course depending on how the following levels go!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I just went back to Submerged Ruins to get a hint for Grug and now I'm hopelessly lost on it a second time...

EDIT: Seriously, I literally beat this level myself a few hours ago. How can I be so stumped a second time?

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Just beat Submerged Ruins. I happened upon something I totally knew was relevant to the solution, but figuring out how to use it to win the level was a puzzle unto itself.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Baba is Here and fucking hard. Holy shit. I expected challenge but this game is next level. My boyfriend and I have gotten stuck on a couple puzzles for upwards of thirty minutes already and the game only dropped two and a half hours ago. Hopefully a fresh day with refreshed minds will help.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Baba is Here and fucking hard. Holy shit. I expected challenge but this game is next level. My boyfriend and I have gotten stuck on a couple puzzles for upwards of thirty minutes already and the game only dropped two and a half hours ago. Hopefully a fresh day with refreshed minds will help.

It's definitely one of those games where you put in down in frustration at a particular puzzle, go and start washing the dishes and then as soon as you free your mind, inspiration hits and you go back and solve it instantly.

Another game that benefits massively from the Switch's instant wake up.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Just beat Sunken Temple. I have no idea if that was the intended solution because it definitely relied on a very specific rules situation I was curious about but I'll take it.

Bolthauser

Oct 29, 2017
Just beat Sunken Temple. I have no idea if that was the intended solution because it definitely relied on a very specific rules situation I was curious about but I'll take it.

I'm stuck there now. Do you have to
push baba or the rock into the flag area? I cant figure out how to maneuver or that way but it seems right

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
lol I'm already stuck at the 4th level (I guess it's 03)

EDIT: omg I got it

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
Really enjoying Baba is You so far. Cleared 23 puzzles. Though 2 puzzles are really bothering me and its Wireless Connection and Poems. Can someone give me a hint on how to prevent the robot from moving the You part of my sentence around? Also any hint for Poems would be nice since I'm just getting stuck on that one.