• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
The really hard extra levels will not start appearing until the third/fourth world.

And skipping any single level in any world doesn't count.

At the end, if completing 50 levels took me 15 hours, it's because there are only a few levels that delayed my progress. Surprise, the hard ones.

When I talked about the time to complete the game, I was talking from the perspective of a completionist not abandoning a world until having completed every single level and without using a single clue, tip.

If doesn't mind if you complete 10 levels in a row taken you a few minutes, if it appears a hard one, delaying your progress two hours.

And believe me, these levels will appear :)

However this is a game where "skill" will have a huge impact on the time to 100% complete the game.
A genius would probably be able to 100% in about 10 hours, whereas some players will need more than 100 hours.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So do some levels just have arbitrary rules so they are not too easy? For example, Level Lake-11: Jelly Throne where Jelly is Win, it seems like you should be able to to say FLAG is JELLY but it's crossed out when you complete that statement...this seems to go against the nature of the game.

Doesn't that level have "FLAG is FLAG" as well?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
However this is a game where "skill" will have a huge impact on the time to 100% complete the game.
A genius would probably be able to 100% in about 10 hours, whereas some players will need more than 100 hours.

To me, the number of hours is irrelevant for a game like this. I've spent a loooot of time on the Tiny Pond level and not yet solved it. But it doesn't matter, the process and reward for finding the solution is the fun part. I really want to play as this game without guides, even if it takes forever.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So do some levels just have arbitrary rules so they are not too easy? For example, Level Lake-11: Jelly Throne where "JELLY is WIN", it seems like you should be able to to say "FLAG is JELLY" but it's crossed out when you complete that statement...this seems to go against the nature of the game.

Edit: Nevermind, the level also has a "FLAG is FLAG" statement so I guess that overrides any other "FLAG is ..." statement.

I *think* the rule is that whichever statement is oldest gets priority when two statements are in play that directly contradict one another.

It has struck me that I guess there is one underlying rule always active but never explicitly stated (presumably it might be explicitly outlined in later levels if it can be modified, but I haven't seen it yet)

TEXT IS PUSH is always implied, but never actually a visible rule

Mildly irksome inconsistency with how everything else works, but I can't moan too much, since it's kind of key to the game's structure!

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
I *think* the rule is that whichever statement is oldest gets priority when two statements are in play that directly contradict one another.

It has struck me that I guess there is one underlying rule always active but never explicitly stated (presumably it might be explicitly outlined in later levels if it can be modified, but I haven't seen it yet)

TEXT IS PUSH is always implied, but never actually a visible rule

Mildly irksome inconsistency with how everything else works, but I can't moan too much, since it's kind of key to the game's structure!
The developer actually addressed this in a thread on the Steam forum.

The game actually stores the "Text Is Push" rule just like any other rule, so it's not hardcoded but instead affected by all the same features as rules actually visible in the levels!

Some rules exist invisibly outside the level, but there are ways to affect existing rules which means that those aren't completely inaccessible.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued by that, not least because they're using plural and I can't think of any example other than the one I gave.

Edit: Oh, I guess there was the co-op example that cropped up (BABA IS P1, KEKE IS P2) that Hempuli said was implemented but not actually used in any levels, that might well be another.

On the levels I've played so far, a "BORDER is STOP" rule has been silently applied.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
On the levels I've played so far, a "BORDER is STOP" rule has been silently applied.
Hah. Yeah, I suppose I should have possibly taken into account the idea that the fact that I can't think of anything else means that it's something that my brain doesn't even consider, that makes sense!

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Went back to Submerged Ruins, any hints? I got this far and I have an idea of what the final step would be, but I can't wrap my brain around how to get from here to that final step
Azo2MrX.png

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Went back to Submerged Ruins, any hints? I got this far and I have an idea of what the final step would be, but I can't wrap my brain around how to get from here to that final step
Azo2MrX.png

Not sure if this is the only way to do it but:

You will need both the "is you" and is push" statements to be vertical first

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Azo2MrX.png
if I remember correctly you should transform rock into baba before moving the crab word and leave one baba near the flag

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Brick Wall is stop-ping me from enjoying more of this game. Lake 5 is one of those levels that is gonna have me kicking myself once someone gives me a hint!

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
May 5, 2018
Thanks More_Badass for the tip for Poems earlier! Now I've unlocked Fall Forest and Temple Ruins. Now I'm stuck on level 3 of temple ruins. Hey its still a great game but you really need to concentrate on the rules and what you can do within the rules of each level.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I was worried the game would be too short or easy but sounds like I should probably just get this. I love sokoban games and Zachtronics style programming challenges so this almost looks like a mix of those.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Wait, what was your solutions? Because mine seemed to be way simpler than those.

I pushed baba into the right-most crab, then stacked Baba is Push vertical next to the wall and Rock is You next to that. I then pushed You so that Baba was pushed into the clearing and Baba is Push became Baba Is You in a single motion

How did you do it?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if (spoilered) screenshots would be more helpful than names? I'm struggling to associate names with levels; Area-Number pairs are okay to give me a rough idea of where we're looking, but those too are hard to directly associate with specific challenges.

I ask in part because I'm trying to remember if Submerged Ruins is Lake Extra-1 or not. It *looks* like it, somewhat, but my solution is vastly different from what's being spoken about here. It doesn't help that Lake Extra-2 looks very similar, of course!

Edit: My solution for Submerged Ruins, I think:

Push rock into doorway enough to get into the side room, but don't push the text yet.
Move ROCK IS PUSH out so it's with BABA IS YOU. Note that as soon as you break ROCK IS PUSH you can walk on the rock, which allows you to stand where you need to to guide the text out.
Make ROCK IS YOU; use that to get the rock out of the corner and out to the rest of the text.
Change ROCK IS YOU to BABA IS YOU, and rebuild ROCK IS PUSH.
Position rock next to the crabs.
Push rock into the flag room, through the crabs (not yet DEFEAT).
Push the text in the top-right. Now CRAB IS DEFEAT and FLAG IS WIN.
Change BABA IS YOU back to ROCK IS YOU. Walk onto flag.

As an aside, I wonder if it's worth agreeing on a nomenclature for talking about things. I'm tending towards using lower-case to refer to the object, upper-case to refer to the text object representing it.

Last edited:

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
The level "But where's the key" is driving me insane. I think I'm too stupid for this game :(

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I pushed baba into the right-most crab, then stacked Baba is Push vertical next to the wall and Rock is You next to that. I then pushed You so that Baba was pushed into the clearing and Baba is Push became Baba Is You in a single motion

How did you do it?
1) Push the rock next to CRAB but don't push any of the words yet (this means the crabs don't kill you)
2) Break ROCK IS PUSH so the rock becomes an "empty" space
3) Manuever ROCK IS PUSH over BABA IS YOU, swap ROCK and BABA, and push Baba through the crabs
4) Still as the rock, push CRAB and FLAG so FLAG IS WN, and then make BABA YOU again

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWryN0I50X8

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
1) Push the rock next to CRAB but don't push any of the words yet (this means the crabs don't kill you)
3) Manuever ROCK IS PUSH over BABA IS YOU, swap ROCK and BABA, and push Baba through the crabs
4) Still as the rock, push CRAB and FLAG so FLAG IS WN, and then make BABA YOU again

Video:

Ah, that's fundamentally the same as mine, although I added in another (unnecessary) character swap.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018

Video:

Hahahaha!

Oh man.

So...I did that whole level completely forgetting that I could break "Rock is Push" at the start and not need to push the rock all the way into the crab/flag area to remove the words. I definitely did a much harder version of that level than I needed to!

Ironically, on the very next level, I had no mental issue with stepping over the empty rock to push the words out. It didn't even occur to me that I did it a super hard way in the first one!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've already saved 10 or so videos of clever completions. I love this game.

Somehow I'm managing to solve everything so far but I can tell I'm gonna get stumped soon. Almost through the Island world.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in love with this game, which is really testing my lateral thinking abilities early. It doesn't really tell you what sort of things will happen if you switch words around in different ways, which I appreciate, as the sense of discovery and accomplishment when I find out that something I thought of actually worked is wonderful.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I really want a gif of the poem puzzle. I feel like that would be the best marketing material for the whole game to show it off.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Video:

I love that mine was pretty different for such a seemingly simple puzzle.

Mine was:
Push the rock next to the crab text
Maneuver the rock text into saying ROCK is BABA
Walk one of my Baba's next to the flag
Use the other to push the crab text
Walk the first one into the flag

Not totally distinct but using a different gimmick. That's a sign of a great puzzle game to me, how many solutions can exist.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I watched a video of this the other night to understand what was going on and I love it already.

Just one quick question -- you can't actually do 'YOU IS WIN" and end a level that way, can you?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The first level of the fall world, hop, is giving me a very hard time. It's the first appearance of teleporters, so I guess I haven't really trained my brain for those yet.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just one quick question -- you can't actually do 'YOU IS WIN" and end a level that way, can you?
A lot of the time, those blocks aren't reachable at all. EDIT: but I think I solved one of the puzzles (don't remember which one) using

Baba is You
is
Win

or something like that, but maybe I'm remembering wrong

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a video of this the other night to understand what was going on and I love it already.

yes you can do you is win but something else has to also be you.

Edit: Doh yeah I mixed it up. it would be like this

Baba is you
is
win

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I've found you usually can't connect two verb/adjective blocks together to form a function. You is treated as a verb/adjective block in this game so that wouldn't work. You can do this though:

Baba is You
Is
Win

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I love that mine was pretty different for such a seemingly simple puzzle.

Mine was:
Push the rock next to the crab text
Maneuver the rock text into saying ROCK is BABA
Walk one of my Baba's next to the flag
Use the other to push the crab text
Walk the first one into the flag

Not totally distinct but using a different gimmick. That's a sign of a great puzzle game to me, how many solutions can exist.

My head is hurting again reading all this..
I did lots of tries trying to to do the "push the rock with the words past the crab maneouvre" that I read before, but then realised this was the simplest way. I did it with doubling Baba is You and Rock is You, but it was more or less the same thing as you.

Now, the NEXT one where I have to push the rock, jelly and text whether I like it or not (or this isn't right?) I still haven´t solved :(

I looooove this game. I saw it was already around the 20 somenthing spot in the eShop bestsellers in Spain, I hope it does great!

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My head is hurting again reading all this..
I did lots of tries trying to to do the "push the rock with the words past the crab maneouvre" that I read before, but then realised this was the simplest way. I did it with doubling Baba is You and Rock is You, but it was more or less the same thing as you.

Now, the NEXT one where I have to push the rock, jelly and text whether I like it or not (or this isn't right?) I still haven´t solved :(

I looooove this game. I saw it was already around the 20 somenthing spot in the eShop bestsellers in Spain, I hope it does great!
You need a hint for that second Extra level?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Good lord, second level of the Lake and I'm already stuck lol. Feel like an idiot.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Watching a twitch stream this game felt easy so I downloaded it and have been put to shame. When they start bringing in some of the later modifiers I have no idea what to do on some.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I beat Hop. I've started basically saving video captures of every single puzzle solution so if anyone needs help with one (that I've beaten so far) I will have an SD card full soon.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
lol...this thread is just gonna be full of spolier tags and people asking for help...kinda wish there was a separate thread for that but then again it's a puzzle game.