• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a small hint (not pointing directly to the solution), if you want:
Analyze exactly what the abilities do.
A slightly more concrete hint, if you want it:

You have to get the cog across the river without melting it... But how?
I did it, it took another extra hour but I did it! Thank you so much for the help guys, your words helped me to focus and to keep calm. I feel so happy now, this game is amazing.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Ok....hate to keep asking for hints but if anyone has a good clue or something on Cavern-1 "Mouse Hole"...I swear it must be so simple since it's the first one of the world but no matter how much wacky stuff I try the closest I can get the key to the stone is one tile away through a relatively simple series of actions. Possible solutions seem to involve getting the stone one tile down first, or somehow bringing the key an extra tile further into the hole, but really I'm at a loss at this point.

There's loads of other levels open in other worlds but this one is really taunting me since it's blocking off literally the rest of the volcano world lol

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Had a random idea for a stage I was stuck on while doing something else, tried the idea, it didn't work, but then I figured out the real solution a few minutes later.

This game is awesome.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think my least favorite stages are the ones that you have to juggle multiple you's at the same time to rearrange text. I'm sure there is an optimal path that makes these levels easy but I end up doing awkward circles over and over until everyone lines up correctly.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game so much. It's already my favourite puzzle game since Spacechem.

It is incredibly smart, solving puzzles feels amazing and almost every level leads to some kind of surprise or epiphany.

The game is a constant delight even when a puzzle seems impossible, because you know there is always a brilliant or unexpected solution around the corner that you just haven't noticed yet.

I just finished Evaporating River after returning to it for the sixth time or so. Every previous attempt I had been trying to
move the cog, 'water' 'is' and 'sink' to the left side of the river in order to push these four items through the skulls and finish the 'flag is win' line.
It felt really good to finally solve that one. After that, Prison only took me 10 minutes or so.

I appreciate how everybody is keeping all solution-related stuff in spoilers. I usually don't visit OTs because people are way too eager to share their OP or gamebreaking moves and tricks with everybody without any spoiler tags in sight. Nothing ruins my enjoyment of a game more than gameplay spoilers.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Expectation: OK, I need that key to open the door to get to the flag...

Reality: OK, so I had become the foliage in order to get the rock to open the ice...

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain the flaw in my logic here? From Garden 4 (Relaxing Spot)

I create TEXT ON ROCK IS KEKE, such that TEXT is already on ROCK when it is completed.

I believe this creates a stack of two Kekes; the TEXT vanishes, so turns into a Keke, and now the rule is just ROCK IS KEKE, so the rock, too, turns into a Keke.

With the stack of two Kekes, I believe I should now be able to make KEKE IS PUSH and use the stack of Kekes to solve the remainder. Instead, though, the whole object is consumed by the first river.

Where am I going wrong with my logic?

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Ok....hate to keep asking for hints but if anyone has a good clue or something on Cavern-1 "Mouse Hole"...I swear it must be so simple since it's the first one of the world but no matter how much wacky stuff I try the closest I can get the key to the stone is one tile away through a relatively simple series of actions. Possible solutions seem to involve getting the stone one tile down first, or somehow bringing the key an extra tile further into the hole, but really I'm at a loss at this point.

There's loads of other levels open in other worlds but this one is really taunting me since it's blocking off literally the rest of the volcano world lol

So for this one, I actually don't entirely know what happened when I solved it because I pushed into something I didn't mean to and all of a sudden I got the key on the rock and the level was over but I think the last move I did was a swap (i.e. the key swapped onto the rock). I might be wrong though. :-/

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
So for this one, I actually don't entirely know what happened when I solved it because I pushed into something I didn't mean to and all of a sudden I got the key on the rock and the level was over but I think the last move I did was a swap (i.e. the key swapped onto the rock). I might be wrong though. :-/
Yeah, I feel like it's got to end that way since there's no way to make the key and the rock occupy the same spot if the rock is pushable, since it'll just swap with it when it gets pushed onto it. But the only way to make the rock pushable and free it from the hole is to push all the words into the hole so the rock is permanently pushable, which makes the level unsolvable. So the alternative is to get the key into the hole through a trick of hiding the bat in the hole and then pushing it out onto the key, but even doing that with the key already at the mouth of the whole doesn't get it far enough in no matter what I've done....
I mostly wrote all that out just to think it all through and see if I'd catch something obvious lol, thank you in any case... I really wanna get this one! Glad to at least know it's possible hah. I swear it's gonna turn out that this is way easier than all of the earlier tricky ones.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel like it's got to end that way since there's no way to make the key and the rock occupy the same spot if the rock is pushable, since it'll just swap with it when it gets pushed onto it. But the only way to make the rock pushable and free it from the hole is to push all the words into the hole so the rock is permanently pushable, which makes the level unsolvable. So the alternative is to get the key into the hole through a trick of hiding the bat in the hole and then pushing it out onto the key, but even doing that with the key already at the mouth of the whole doesn't get it far enough in no matter what I've done....
I mostly wrote all that out just to think it all through and see if I'd catch something obvious lol, thank you in any case... I really wanna get this one! Glad to at least know it's possible hah. I swear it's gonna turn out that this is way easier than all of the earlier tricky ones.

you're on the right track with getting the rock out of the hole. Yes you keep it permanently pushable... that's okay

Think about how you can push the rock and get it onto the key when the key swaps

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
you're on the right track with getting the rock out of the hole. Yes you keep it permanently pushable... that's okay

Think about how you can push the rock and get it onto the key when the key swaps
Oh my god it was so simple. Thank you. Yall should've seen the contraptions I was coming up with with the bat in the hole and all the wild text configurations lol

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Wow, I finally figured out Skull House! The rambling I came up with on the previous page turned out to be a nice hint for myself. Reposting in case anyone needs a hint for that stage.

My (terrible good) deduction skills says something is fishy with the Rock. There's got to be a point to there being a rock and its corresponding text besides merely turning it into a key. Otherwise they'd just start you with a key. Hmmm..

Deleted member 14312

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am just continuously astounded by this game.

The ??? area that you get from moving Baba to the flag in the overworld actually unlocks even more areas that progressively incorporate more and more of the "area map is actually a puzzle of its own too" design.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I was stuck on the poem stage for a bit, and my girlfriend beat it while messing around.

Dang this game, it's so good.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Can anyone explain the flaw in my logic here? From Garden 4 (Relaxing Spot)

I create TEXT ON ROCK IS KEKE, such that TEXT is already on ROCK when it is completed.

I believe this creates a stack of two Kekes; the TEXT vanishes, so turns into a Keke, and now the rule is just ROCK IS KEKE, so the rock, too, turns into a Keke.

With the stack of two Kekes, I believe I should now be able to make KEKE IS PUSH and use the stack of Kekes to solve the remainder. Instead, though, the whole object is consumed by the first river.

Where am I going wrong with my logic?
The flaw is that 'sink' consumes everything that it can. Keke would need to float to cross the river.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good god the garden-extra-1 level. "Out at sea". One of two so far that I've had to look for hints to.

I fully admit to failure of my imagination on that one. I did not imagine it was possible to cheat the rule-making system this way.

That one took an entire day of mulling over in my head while taking care of other errands for it to finally click what I was supposed to do.

I had managed to overlap words a few times while banging my head against the wall desperately looking for a solution, but I'm embarrassed at how long it took for me to put two and two together and realize that maybe, just maybe, overlapped words in statements would create valid rules for both.

This is the type of game that just sticks in your brain and has you simulating zillions of solutions in your head when you're stuck, it'd be mentally exhausting if it weren't so fun lol.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally figured out Evaporating River. But now Prison...what?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finally figured out Evaporating River. But now Prison...what?

I solved Prison pretty quickly without help (although my solution was a little more complicated than it needed to be), but I know a lot of people needed to look up the answer there.

A general trick I've found with the game (not with any specific level) is to treat all the words & phrases like programming statements rather than logical statements. Try to get to the underlying "What does this rule mean for the game's interpretation of the code?"

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
After more than 20 hours, through 71 levels 100% completing 4 worlds, yeah, the game never ceases to impress, constantly putting a smile on your face.

It's incredible how each level is a masterclass in level design, without a single filler and without repeating concepts.

In other puzzle games, after a level based in a clever idea, you will see an array of levels repeating this same idea but increasing the complexity by making your moves more restricted.

But not in 'Baba Is You'.

The levels are generally with open spaces, to give to the player a vast liberty of movements, in a way in which with some intentional exceptions, the difficulty is never about repeating a scripted sequence of movements, in which a single turn in the wrong way will close the solution to the puzzle.

And every level develops a new idea or concept, and each one is so damn satisfying to complete.

There are a lot of comparisons with other puzzle games in the past, and yeah, there are some bits of 'Corrypt' by Michael Brough (one of the most under the radar and talented indie developers), there are some concepts tied to programming that have been developed in 'Recursed' or 'Human Resource Machine', there are homages to 'The Witness'...

But regarding something like the sense of wonder which is able to communicate a game, this is what I was expecting from 'Super Mario Odyssey' when I saw the original E3 trailer, with the vast world of posibilites opened through the gimmick of controlling enemies with your cap.

With the difference that in 'Super Mario Odyssey', after a promising start in the Sand Kingdom, one of the best designed levels in video game history, the game lost its focus and the sense of surprise. With a lot of fillers and repetition. And with the vast possibilities of the capturing mechanic never exploited in a way in which you were constantly surprised until the end of the game.

'Baba Is You' in the other hand has this sense of wonder and magic of discovering things, close to the more sublime moments in Mario 3D sandbox games.

For me, this is resulting in a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I will never forget, and that will be stay forever among my most fond memories in video games.

When you have been playing video games since the 80s, starting with an Amstrad CPC 464, it's very unusual to see a new game, released in 2018, achieving this.

And transmitting me the same magic that when I played 'Colossal Cave Adventure', the first adventure game ever made.

I remember playing this a a kid, and thinking in how infinite were the possibilities of the video game medium, dreaming with its puzzle designs, drawing prototypes of similar games on a paper.

And 'Baba Is You' replicates all these same feelings.

In a way in which playing this is like discovering video games for the first time.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Tiny Isle nearly killed me. I came up with some crazy ideas in desperate attempts to win.

I figured out how to shift the entire vertical line of blocks left and right however many spaces I wished. It was so elegant I thought, well this has to be the solution. Then I decided, maybe I need all three pieces to remain distinct and found a new way to do it with all 3 pieces still being themselves. Still couldn't figure it out. Then I brought the whole stack over to the water rules and tried to see if I could do stuff over there, but found nothing. Finally after all this intricate use of the rules of the game I squirted out the actual solution. I'm not gonna lie, after all that I wish the other solutions I attempted were what they were looking for instead.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, okay, Prison. I see you.

On to the next area, finally!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Prison is the worst stage. Honestly, it took me 2 fucking hours and I was really disappointed when finding the solution. It was cheap and quite dumb compared to other puzzles. I hope that there are no other stages like that.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prison is the worst stage. Honestly, it took me 2 fucking hours and I was really disappointed when finding the solution. It was cheap and quite dumb compared to other puzzles. I hope that there are no other stages like that.
Dunno, I thought Prison made sense in light of the previous levels.

I'm a lot more annoyed about stuff like FALL-B, which is basically a sliding puzzle and fuck those.

Also:
NOT ROCK IS PUSH
HAHAHAHA, that was great

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not the brightest bulb but it took me something like two minutes to solve Prison, the key mechanic is something you already know from the previous levels.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Dunno, I thought Prison made sense in light of the previous levels.

I'm a lot more annoyed about stuff like FALL-B, which is basically a sliding puzzle and fuck those.

Also:
NOT ROCK IS PUSH
HAHAHAHA, that was great

I disagree. Both Baba and Keke are me. Both can push the text. But at no point did the game teaches that text being pushed on you doesn't stop. I personally found that one quite cheap. I guess being a physicist made me assume Newton's third law.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Both Baba and Keke are me. Both can push the text. But at no point did the game teaches that text being pushed on you doesn't stop. I personally found that one quite cheap. I guess being a physicist made me assume Newton's third law.

At least partly agree. It's definitely not intuitive, but I would say it does follow the general 'logic' of the game, which is that you can't and shouldn't take any fact for granted. If you haven't explicitly seen the collision happen, you can't actually be sure if it'll happen or not, and that's something to experiment.

And it's not like the game really 'teaches' you anything to start with, everything is found out through experimentation. At the very least there's no real 'contradictions' so to speak, not even with Prison. The game logic is always consistent, it just needs to be figured out.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could swear there was a previous level where you needed to use the "push the text on something, make something you, split text" trick. Maybe a bonus stage? If not then I am confusing the order in which I completed stuff and you would be absolutely right.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I could swear there was a previous level where you needed to use the "push the text on something, make something you, split text" trick. Maybe a bonus stage? If not then I am confusing the order in which I completed stuff and you would be absolutely right.

I am a sociopath who does every level in the right order and didn't see that trick until prison. But yeah, like revolsin said, nothing should be assumed and all should be experimented. I just find that mechanic weird.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Feels good solving a few puzzles in the subway...
Yesterday showed the game to the GF, and she managed to help me on one stage I was having problems with. After giving up on another one and shutting down the game, she come back at me minutes later with thoughts on the logic of the puzzle we were on... this sure can get addicting to everyone !
Finally solved the puzzle minutes later, in a way so weird that I had to quickly videocapture it to understand what we did. I still don't think this is the easiest way to solve this early puzzle (Pillar Yard) :

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

The thing is there are so few items in the reachable area in Prison that even though I wasn't positive that my solution would work, I couldn't see anything else to try. Like there's not really much else to try in there.

Apparently, the dev got enough complaints that they patched the level to not have "Move" so you have even fewer things you could try.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The flaw is that 'sink' consumes everything that it can. Keke would need to float to cross the river.

I could have sworn I had an earlier instance where I pushed two stacked items into a SINK object and it only destroyed one. Maybe I'm misremembering

(I should mention that I think I have the actual solution - haven't had the opportunity to try it yet - but couldn't figure out why that didn't work)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The thing is there are so few items in the reachable area in Prison that even though I wasn't positive that my solution would work, I couldn't see anything else to try. Like there's not really much else to try in there.

Apparently, the dev got enough complaints that they patched the level to not have "Move" so you have even fewer things you could try.

I actually thought that I could teleport on the other side of the wall using

Baba is you
is
move

as you "jump" a tile at each movement. Unfortunately it didn't work.

I did not know it was patched.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Hang on, Prison's different now? That's interesting. I used Move in my solution, and I actually found that more logical than the non-Move version of the solution I saw. Indeed, I *may* have struggled without Move present!

It's easy - as I've mentioned before (Edit: And, it seems, as Zakatana thought) - to falling into the trap of thinking that YOU implies PUSH. If you have fallen into that trap, then having both characters simultaneously be YOU is going to detract from finding the solution than help it. My method instead navigated Keke into position using extensive sequences of shifting him with YOU and MOVE - painstakingly! - until he ended up in the right location. At that point you only need one character to be YOU at any given moment to carry out the final motions.

All that said I had naturally stumbled on the notion of 'things can enter the space of something that's YOU in certain circumstances' accidentally many times beforehand so I wasn't hugely obstructed by the concept as a whole - it just came a bit more naturally in the form of pushing the text onto an entity that had no traits.

Last edited:

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

I think you might be thinking wrong here.

Baba and Keke can't push anything by them selves. It's the text that has the (hidden) "is PUSH" attribute. If an object has "is PUSH" anything will push it. If Baba and Keke doesn't have "is PUSH", objects can appear on top of them.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I think you might be thinking wrong here.

Baba and Keke can't push anything by them selves. It's the text that has the (hidden) "is PUSH" attribute. If an object has "is PUSH" anything will push it. If Baba and Keke doesn't have "is PUSH", objects can appear on top of them.

Yeah I said it backward indeed. My point remains though, Newton's 3rd law doesn't apply and that felt inconsistent at the time.

Just to be clear I love the game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I actually thought that I could teleport on the other side of the wall using

Baba is you
is
move

as you "jump" a tile at each movement. Unfortunately it didn't work.

I did not know it was patched.

That was one of my attempts, but yeah, that doesn't work. Thankfully, I figured out the solution soon after.

On "Baba is You" + "Baba is Move," I think this is how it works:

"Is Move" means that the item will move 1 space in the direction it's facing each turn which when applied to you means you move 2 spaces. These movements are subject to the same rules of normal movement (so you're not skipping a space) however other rules only check your state when you stop movement. So you can't use it to jump past a stop barrier but you can jump past panels that would destroy you.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That was one of my attempts, but yeah, that doesn't work. Thankfully, I figured out the solution soon after.

On "Baba is You" + "Baba is Move," I think this is how it works:

"Is Move" means that the item will move 1 space in the direction it's facing each turn which when applied to you means you move 2 spaces. These movements are subject to the same rules of normal movement (so you're not skipping a space) however other rules only check your state when you stop movement. So you can't use it to jump past a stop barrier but you can jump past panels that would destroy you.
I think it kinda alternates between "is you" and "is move" as a rule so first you do your action, then it ceases to be you, move does its action and then it becomes you again. Since "is move" reacts to "is stop" its action will not move you through a wall but since "is you" doesn't apply during "is move"'s action there's no effect to things that only work on objects that are you.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, they split Prison in too now: One with "MOVE", one without.
....... I found how to solve it without "MOVE", but I don't know how to solve it with it...

It sucks because the original level (I think it was 10) still shows as solved, even though I solved it without MOVE and now it's the "MOVE" version. The new level is the one I know the answer of, so I just did it in a minute. So I know I should go back to the original level and figure out the solution, even though it says it's cleared. Blaaaargh.

Also, fuck Tiny Isle.
I figured out how to move "Baba is You" vertically around, with the keys and all, and.... it still doesn't seem like it works? I was so proud of my solution.
I feel like I spent time to get all prettied-up for a date to be on top of my sex-appeal, only to be sneezed at and dumped after 5 minutes.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
....... I found how to solve it without "MOVE", but I don't know how to solve it with it...

Oh, okay. Guess that's not on Switch yet, then.

Also, fuck Tiny Isle.
I figured out how to move "Baba is You" vertically around, with the keys and all, and.... it still doesn't seem like it works? I was so proud of my solution.
I feel like I spent time to get all prettied-up for a date to be on top of my sex-appeal, only to be sneezed at and dumped after 5 minutes.

Not sure I can quite parse what you're attempting. Might be able to help indicate what the issue is if I can.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have enough self control to not look for solutions online after 10 min and no clue how to solve a level. And that frustrates me more than the level itself ☹️

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
I don't have enough self control to not look for solutions online after 10 min and no clue how to solve a level. And that frustrates me more than the level itself ☹️

Same problem here. I kinda wish the game was less popular, so the solution wouldn't be a google search away, forcing me to think more instead.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Oh cool, I did "Scale" in a much, much more complicated way than needed, completely ignoring the central concept it was trying to teach. I love that you can clutz your way through some levels lol

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Oh my god it was so simple. Thank you. Yall should've seen the contraptions I was coming up with with the bat in the hole and all the wild text configurations lol

i'm still stuck on this one, i feel like i tried absolutely everything before coming asking for help... I tried the things you both mentionned in spoilers already... still can't manage to find a place where i could swap the key on the rock... a third hint maybe? Thanks, lol

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I would just move on from Prison and do it later if you're stuck even for a little bit. The more you play and learn the ins and outs of the game, the easier the solution to Prison is to intuit.

Cubo

May 14, 2018

It sucks because the original level (I think it was 10) still shows as solved, even though I solved it without MOVE and now it's the "MOVE" version. The new level is the one I know the answer of, so I just did it in a minute. So I know I should go back to the original level and figure out the solution, even though it says it's cleared. Blaaaargh.

Also, fuck Tiny Isle.

This update you talk about is not on Switch right?

Btw how is the game doing around the globe? In the Spanish e-Shop it's #3 right now!