• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK YOU DEEP POOL

I'm so close. I need one more push. Hmm.

edit: ooh, somehow I missed that "has" triggers on defeat — this is huge.

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Chasm - Extra 6: Visiting Baba was an absolutely incredible puzzle. Brilliance.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game with 75 levels, and i think this is enough for me. What a genius game.

Is looking for solution just to get to the secret end/stage worth it? or is it also the same level of difficulty?

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mid-to-late game spoilers:

Is there a way to turn the world map Baba back into Level 09? Is there a way to complete that level normally? Restarting the world map has no effect. (Also it's annoying seeing him scoot around every time I just want to move worlds.)

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Chasm - Extra 6: Visiting Baba was an absolutely incredible puzzle. Brilliance.
Yeah it's probably my favorite puzzle in the game so far, or more specifically the one that just impressed me the most with its design rather than the novelty of discovering and learning a new mechanic.
Mid-to-late game spoilers:

Is there a way to turn the world map Baba back into Level 09? Is there a way to complete that level normally? Restarting the world map has no effect. (Also it's annoying seeing him scoot around every time I just want to move worlds.)
Get the level select cursor over Baba and then move both of them off the map path, and when you hit A/select it should let you play it again.

I'm pretty sure you can complete it normally for a dandy but I haven't gone back and tried.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I have seen the credits and have ~120 puffs, 10 flowers, and an orb thing. Not sure what to do after beating enough levels to clear all the worlds.

Just keep beating more levels? Or
somehow get a flag on the world map on a specific level to touch it with map Baba?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen the credits and have ~120 puffs, 10 flowers, and an orb thing. Not sure what to do after beating enough levels to clear all the worlds.

Just keep beating more levels? Or
somehow get a flag on the world map on a specific level to touch it with map Baba?

The latter strikes me as an excellent idea.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone got a hint for this one? It's Rocket 12 - Guardians
unknown.png

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing thought this game the past few days and having a great time - truly ingenious puzzle concept and design! So far, I've only had to get help on one level (level island 11 - fuck that level), but it's definitely making me wrack my brain.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my God, I finally did Evaporating River, I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders lol. I already understood the sink mechanic, it was just
getting the cog across the river that I couldn't do. When I realised I could use the water is sink phrase to punch a hole in it I actually punched the air!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a hint for this one? It's Rocket 12 - Guardians
unknown.png

The key interaction is reasonably easy to deduce from the tools you have available, it's just executing it that's the problem

EMPTY IS PULL + TEXT IS PULL, one vertical, one horizontal

The fundamental challenge with EMPTY IS PULL is that pull objects are solid enough to block normal movement, so you need a grounding of non-empty terrain - i.e the ice - moved to an appropriate position to allow you to move freely enough to assemble the two rules and then start 'pulling' the empty+win line through the ufo corridor

That should get you going!

Edit: Never mind!

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
The key interaction is reasonably easy to deduce from the tools you have available, it's just executing it that's the problem

EMPTY IS PULL + TEXT IS PULL, one vertical, one horizontal

The fundamental challenge with EMPTY IS PULL is that pull objects are solid enough to block normal movement, so you need a grounding of non-empty terrain - i.e the ice - moved to an appropriate position to allow you to move freely enough to assemble the two rules and then start 'pulling' the empty+win line through the ufo corridor

That should get you going!

Edit: Never mind!

Thanks but I did end up figuring it out (mostly by luck :D)

This game is awesome :D

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Had to write down instructions for one. Forget which area this was:

Keke has Baba
Keke is Move
- opens door with Baba on other side -
Baba Has Keke
- Move Baba into water spawning Keke -
Keke is Move
- Fiddle around with this until Keke is on the other side of the other water -
Keke is You
- win -

Sometimes that's what I need to get through so many steps without losing track.

eltercero

Feb 3, 2018
Madrid
Yesterday I finished
Depths
and I'm not sure about going to the next area
ABC, I guess?

I think I'll take a break for now. Figuring out the puzzles is amazing, but it's also mentally draining. I also had to look up the solution for around 5 puzzles so far (which I hate). I prefer to just leave it here (at least for now) and have fond memories than keep going and make it too frustrating.

I've solved around
110 puzzles and got 2 orbs

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 84 puzzles in and I'm starting to have the need to watch some solutions online and to my disappointment a few of the answers are more about pushing blocks in tricky ways than real thought process.

Not related but about Level Island-9 Wireless connection, why
flag AND rock IS win makes the flag glow?
I don't get it.

Edit: Oh I get it now.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm 84 puzzles in and I'm starting to have the need to watch some solutions online and to my disappointment a few of the answers are more about pushing blocks in tricky ways than real thought process..

I don't feel bad looking up these solutions online, especially when I've figured out the solutions but not the exact layout of blocks that works correctly. The level with 3 defeat move babas is a good example of that.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Days later, still stuck on Out At Sea. I've gone around to do some other levels in the meantime but this is now the longest I've left a level unsolved and it's bothering the hell out of me, to the point that it's hindering my enjoyment of the rest of the game.

I feel like there has to be something really obvious that I'm just overlooking, but racking my brain for all possible combinations of rules just isn't getting me anywhere. I generally don't mind being stumped on a puzzle for a while because figuring out a solution--and coming to realize WHY it works--is when the game is at its strongest, but I have the feeling that after this long, beating this level isn't even going to feel satisfying.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a nice burst of success today, I'm now at 139 dandelions.

Skull House and Tiny Isle continue to infuriate me, but I'm trying to leave them alone and let my brain work on them in the background.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Had a nice burst of success today, I'm now at 139 dandelions.

Skull House and Tiny Isle continue to infuriate me, but I'm trying to leave them alone and let my brain work on them in the background.

A small tip for Skull House.

Think in Baba Is You like in a programming language.

When a program is executed, there are actions.

And these actions are executed in a given order.

And a more detailed clue, but not giving the exact solution.

You're desperately needing a third object. Because with one, you need to open a door. With other object, you need to open a path in the river. And then you need a third object to achieve the flag.

With the commands that you have inside the skull house, think in how you can explode the pile of memory of the programming language and in which order the actions are executed, to obtain a third object.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Days later, still stuck on Out At Sea. I've gone around to do some other levels in the meantime but this is now the longest I've left a level unsolved and it's bothering the hell out of me, to the point that it's hindering my enjoyment of the rest of the game.

I feel like there has to be something really obvious that I'm just overlooking, but racking my brain for all possible combinations of rules just isn't getting me anywhere. I generally don't mind being stumped on a puzzle for a while because figuring out a solution--and coming to realize WHY it works--is when the game is at its strongest, but I have the feeling that after this long, beating this level isn't even going to feel satisfying.

I'd say it's sort-of obvious, as in it makes absolutely perfect clear sense when you see it, but if your brain isn't thinking that way it's completely incomprehensible.

I can give some hints to try to guide you to the end, starting with an assessment of the critical facts. All-caps references are to text blocks rather than the item (so ICE is text, ice is... well, ice)

Basic facts:
You need ice to open the door; lava to open the box

Obvious limitations:
You only have one IS and one PUSH. You can only form one "IS PUSH" structure at any given time

The crux of the problem:
You need to *push* the ice into the door; you need to *push* the lava into the box. You can't go back to the left of the room once you've gone into the corridor

Tools:
You have probably experimented with swapping things to text. You can consume text to make extra lava/ice with careful use of the ON clause; you do have to be careful about *which* text you consume, mind!

First proper hint:
I phrased the "obvious limitations" very carefully.

A little more of a hint:
You will create an IS PUSH structure on the left - it will remain on the left. You do not have to do anything fancy with bringing text over the belt

Exactly what is critical before you start to bring things through the belt:
You might have extra stuff left over, but the key items you will have on the left are: One IS block, one PUSH block, one LAVA block, one ICE block, one lava, one ice

But...
Yes, that is exactly what you have available at the start. No, that's not quite sufficient there and then.

Further thoughts about the critical item list
Note that I've detailed four text blocks. You need three to form a rule. Why four?

One last tease:
All the listed text blocks are used in making rules before you bring things over the belt

The big giveaway (and this one is an all-out spoiler!)
hYcOE5j.png

And in case it's not clear what you're looking at there (image quality isn't great):
You need to get an ICE on top of a LAVA. Then you can form both LAVA IS PUSH and ICE IS PUSH simultaneously

That still leaves the details of how you do it, but at some point along that line you should have found out what you're trying to do.

Last edited:

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Returning to older levels after playing ahead is really nice, you get to the level with a new perspective and new tricks up your sleeve. I think little by little I'll be able to finish the game without checking the solution online (I did that only once, and that was a level I was VASTLY overthinking).

A question as for the endgame:
You can make a Level is Flag right? I don't want to know how (not yet, at least), but I'm guessing that's the "END"?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Returning to older levels after playing ahead is really nice, you get to the level with a new perspective and new tricks up your sleeve. I think little by little I'll be able to finish the game without checking the solution online (I did that only once, and that was a level I was VASTLY overthinking).

A question as for the endgame:
You can make a Level is Flag right? I don't want to know how (not yet, at least), but I'm guessing that's the "END"?

Yes you can, but... well... you'll see when you do it.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
How would you rank the following in order of difficulty: Cuphead, Sekiro, Baba is You.

This feels like a very punishing March-April and Cuphead isn't even out (on Switch) yet.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
How would you rank the following in order of difficulty: Cuphead, Sekiro, Baba is You.

This feels like a very punishing March-April and Cuphead isn't even out (on Switch) yet.
Everyone's out here saying Sekiro is the hardest game of all time when it wasn't even the hardest game released in March.

I do think Cuphead is the easiest of the three for sure.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what suits you. I would absolutely find Baba Is You considerably easier than the other two (Not played Sekiro, got to the second world in Cuphead), but that's because I am way more in-tune with puzzle games than action.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I'm no stranger to action or From games, but Sekiro is brutalizing me. good to know Cuphead might offer some "relief."
While Cuphead is still "hard," I felt that it was way less punishing than Sekiro which definitely made it a smoother ride for me (and it's shorter too, which is a plus IMO).

Compare them both to Baba Is You, where I can't bang my head against a boss over and over again until I learn their tricks. Sometimes, the puzzle is just beyond my comprehension.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is making me crazy and feel stupid. I'm progressing at a snail's pace.

Yet each time I FINALLY beat a level I'm like "heh. One more."

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Hint for
Depths - Extra 3?
Adr39Qz.png

I'm not sure I remember this one right, but if I *do*, here's a chain of thought that'll help: It's pretty much a full solution (er, if I recall the level correctly!), so read as much as you need!

The obvious assessment: You need to get KEKE to the box.

You'll note that there's no PUSH, no PULL; even without the box being in a nasty spiral that's hard to navigate, that gives you very limited capacity to manipulate KEKE into position.

There's only one tool there that'll help in that regard

You're going to need to make KEKE IS YOU

But there's problems with that!
Clearly you can't put a KEKE IS directly next to the BABA IS, the most usual way you shift the identity of YOU. Where *can* you put a KEKE IS nearby?

You can have the KEKE IS one block further away. But then you can't push YOU in a single move.

What else aren't you using?

Have you tried having YOU also having MOVE, and the effect that has? That's probably an interesting place to start.

That'll get you the KEKE IS YOU... for one turn. But that Baba's going to keep causing hassle.

But there's something else you can use that'll prevent BABA IS MOVE after the key push has taken place.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't bring myself to buy this, the impressions in here regarding the difficulty put me right off 😂

Would people say this is harder than The Witness? Another game I struggled with..

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure I remember this one right, but if I *do*, here's a chain of thought that'll help: It's pretty much a full solution (er, if I recall the level correctly!), so read as much as you need!

The obvious assessment: You need to get KEKE to the box.

You'll note that there's no PUSH, no PULL; even without the box being in a nasty spiral that's hard to navigate, that gives you very limited capacity to manipulate KEKE into position.

There's only one tool there that'll help in that regard

You're going to need to make KEKE IS YOU

But there's problems with that!
Clearly you can't put a KEKE IS directly next to the BABA IS, the most usual way you shift the identity of YOU. Where *can* you put a KEKE IS nearby?

You can have the KEKE IS one block further away. But then you can't push YOU in a single move.

What else aren't you using?

Have you tried having YOU also having MOVE, and the effect that has? That's probably an interesting place to start.

That'll get you the KEKE IS YOU... for one turn. But that Baba's going to keep causing hassle.

But there's something else you can use that'll prevent BABA IS MOVE after the key push has taken place.

I had though all of that but somehow just reading it all arranged made it click it for me.

Thanks a lot!

Also
Shouldn't this unlock a path to the flag? Kinda spoiled myself on that when looking for hints for this level. I solved both Extra 3 and 4 but the path didn't appear at all :(

EDIT: solved it

Last edited:

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't bring myself to buy this, the impressions in here regarding the difficulty put me right off 😂

Would people say this is harder than The Witness? Another game I struggled with..
I found it much easier. Many of the puzzles arent quite as... elaborate. They just require more creative thinking.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Equivalent. There's perhaps a bit more deduction required in The Witness, a bit more ingenuity required in Baba Is You.
Depending on where your skills lie, that might dictate whether it works for you or not.

The game jam version is still available, and might be a decent 'demo' as such, although it really doesn't go anything like as ambitious or in-depth as the game as a whole!

Edit: Game Jam version

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm stopping this game, which i feel is actually disrespecting my time. Some implicit rules break some levels in my opinion. Like many people, i felt that prison was badly designed as it broke Newtons third law. During that time, I remember trying Baba is move to "jump" through the wall, which didn't work. Fine, the wall is stop, so it makes sense. Now, i just spend almost 2 hours on Maritime adventures figuring that Baba is move actually does allow me to jump the lava, which is defeat. I felt that it was quite cheap, and I'm not taking the chance to run on another cheap mechanic that's going to block me for hours. So I'm done. I was very enthusiastic in the beginning but those things definitely soured my experience with the game. I'm glad that most people seem to enjoy it. I'm now off play ringo ishikawa.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stopping this game, which i feel is actually disrespecting my time. Some implicit rules break some levels in my opinion. Like many people, i felt that prison was badly designed as it broke Newtons third law. During that time, I remember trying Baba is move to "jump" through the wall, which didn't work. Fine, the wall is stop, so it makes sense. Now, i just spend almost 2 hours on Maritime adventures figuring that Baba is move actually does allow me to jump the lava, which is defeat. I felt that it was quite cheap, and I'm not taking the chance to run on another cheap mechanic that's going to block me for hours. So I'm done. I was very enthusiastic in the beginning but those things definitely soured my experience with the game. I'm glad that most people seem to enjoy it. I'm now off play ringo ishikawa.

The whole game pretty much breaks the first law of thermodynamics, everything else kind-of pales in comparison.

Spoilers for one of the levels mentioned in that spoiler.

They're internally consistent; you've probably already come across the fact that there are rules relating to moving and ones relating to where you end your turn. There's nothing inconsistent there, but the problem is that you inserted assumptions that were incorrect. The rules for DEFEAT are that any object that is YOU that ends the turn on that square is destroyed; double-moves never end their turn on that square. The rules for STOP are that no other object can enter the square. Something similar crops up in The Witness; assumptions that you might make early on that are sufficient at that point may not be sufficient in later contexts.

I do however agree that there could be more convenient environments in which to test such concepts.

(Also, for what it's worth, I assume you're playing on Switch? Double-move is not the intended solution for Maritime Adventures, and later versions on PC have a double-width lava pool to make that impossible:

ZYBshmZ.png

There should be a Switch patch coming soonish, I gather.)

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
A question about level "09" on the main map:

After doing "LEVEL IS BABA" on level 09, is it possible to go back to 09 and solve it normally? I'm able to go back to level 10 even after turning it into a flag.