• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't bring myself to buy this, the impressions in here regarding the difficulty put me right off

The final level is unlocked after maybe just 30 levels.

You don't need to play it with the mindset of finishing all the 200+ levels, the difficulty and complexity gets harder with progression so just get to the point where you see yourself don't have the passion to play more and finish it, think about the rest as side missions.

I got to 75 and finished it there, and i can tell you it's a game you shouldn't skip.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The final level is unlocked after maybe just 30 levels.

You don't need to play it with the mindset of finishing all the 200+ levels, the difficulty and complexity gets harder with progression so just get to the point where you see yourself don't have the passion to play more and finish it, think about the rest as side missions.

I got to 75 and finished it there, and i can tell you it's a game you shouldn't skip.

I watched a let's play video for about 8 minutes earlier tonight and it looked a lot of fun, can definitely see myself caving soon.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, about that...

That's not the real final credits by a long shot. The game opens up in surprising ways.

Yep yep, of course there's a huge motive to continue. But it is the final level anyway so you will come back to it for the real ending.

They don't want to force you to finish everything to end the game it is perfect for the game and works will with the genre.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting a glitch on "Automated Doors"? I set Not Rock is You, but I don't gain control of the text.

I think that's due to the fact that no TEXT block exists.

I'd have to do more testing to be certain, but I recall in a level with ALL I found that when I tried something like "A ON B IS ALL" A changed into examples of everything that currently existed in the level, not everything that could ever exist. In other words, I think the scope of available objects may be dictated by the text blocks that are present at the start of the level. Since no TEXT explicitly exists, NOT ROCK does not include TEXT.

(Late-game spoilers)
And late-game indicates more evidence for that: Think of all the implications of NOT and ALL when you consider that LEVEL is a potential block!

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I think that's due to the fact that no TEXT block exists.

I'd have to do more testing to be certain, but I recall in a level with ALL I found that when I tried something like "A ON B IS ALL" A changed into examples of everything that currently existed in the level, not everything that could ever exist. In other words, I think the scope of available objects may be dictated by the text blocks that are present at the start of the level. Since no TEXT explicitly exists, NOT ROCK does not include TEXT.

(Late-game spoilers)
And late-game indicates more evidence for that: Think of all the implications of NOT and ALL when you consider that LEVEL is a potential block!
I'm pretty sure ALL takes control of scenery objects to.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure ALL takes control of scenery objects to.

Hmmm. But no EMPTY, not LEVEL, there's clearly some limiting mechanic. Maybe TEXT is also in that separate group?

Certainly, if nothing else, it only refers to objects that actually exist (I wonder if it only refers to objects that *currently* exist, or if it refers to all objects that have *ever* existed. I'm thinking of something like:

Rock in level
Destroy rock
Now no rock in level
TREE ON BABA IS ALL.

Does the stack of things the tree turns into include a rock?

Last edited:

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Level "AB" has the jankiest solution I have seen yet. Feels more like stumbling upon a glitch than solving a puzzle.

Apparently words can overlap now. B൹A IS YOUHOT

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Finished the game with the true ending. Got a question though

What am I missing here for Baba is All achievement?

MBB3OVK.png

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man, I just did that thing...you'll know what I mean if you've done it. This game just keeps blowing me away with it's cleverness.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Dev answered to my question on the Steam forums

was missing beating the flag as a level

EDIT:
j7c2mmx.png

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had much time to play lately, but I'm at 146, and beat one of my two nightmare levels: Skull House. I was hoping the technique would "unlock" some other levels, but it doesn't seem to be applicable to any of the others that I'm stuck on.

Oh well! I think I might finally tackle the "A Way Out?" level now...been avoiding it.

Edit: Oh shit I just did a thing and now there's a FLOWER

Edit Edit: HOLY SHIT AT THE SECOND LEVEL IN THAT WORLD

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had much time to play lately, but I'm at 146, and beat one of my two nightmare levels: Skull House. I was hoping the technique would "unlock" some other levels, but it doesn't seem to be applicable to any of the others that I'm stuck on.

Oh well! I think I might finally tackle the "A Way Out?" level now...been avoiding it.

Edit: Oh shit I just did a thing and now there's a FLOWER

Edit Edit: HOLY SHIT AT THE SECOND LEVEL IN THAT WORLD
YctzbDK.png

(Edit: You know, if I were more graphically inclined decorating that Demon's Souls shot with more Baba-esque imagery might be pretty effective...)

KRmdh8c.png

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Baba is You on the top10 brings a smile on my face. Specially because it is in front of the Cuphead preorders

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
100+ puzzles in and I'm about to quit I think.
Even looking the solution online for Bottleneck (Level Space 8), I don't understand the rules or how EMPTY works in that scenario. It's poorly explained IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
100+ puzzles in and I'm about to quit I think.
Even looking the solution online for Bottleneck (Level Space 8), I don't understand the rules or how EMPTY works in that scenario. It's poorly explained IMO.
Bottleneck is one of the more brutal puzzles I've encountered so far (155/10). It's probably my least favourite. EMPTY in general just felt so oppressive across its levels.

Try out other areas if you haven't already.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Bottleneck is one of the more brutal puzzles I've encountered so far (155/10). It's probably my least favourite. EMPTY in general just felt so oppressive across its levels.

Try out other areas if you haven't already.

Yeah, I think I've explored every levels I could but I'm getting stuck constantly for too long now. It doesn't help the rules are starting to be a little far-fetched.
I checked another solution for another level and it was about combining MOVE AND PUSH to move 2 squares instead of one to make you skip the state LEVEL IS DEFEAT and I find this rule cheap. I prefer stopping there and have a good memory of this game instead of getting frustrated with its obtuseness.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
What's the deal with depths extra-5 "endless corridor"? I guess it's just supposed to be a trick level? sorta weird at that point in the game
also I had sort of assumed there wasn't anything past depths but instead just some big stuff I had missed earlier on but it uhhhhhh seems like that's definitely not the case lol

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with depths extra-5 "endless corridor"? I guess it's just supposed to be a trick level? sorta weird at that point in the game
also I had sort of assumed there wasn't anything past depths but instead just some big stuff I had missed earlier on but it uhhhhhh seems like that's definitely not the case lol

You're playing on Switch, I assume? I gather it's been patched on PC, I assume that that's not the intended solution.

For the record, Hempuli's blog has the patch notes for the upcoming Switch 1.0.3 to move in line with the PC version:

Spoilered for length, mainly, although it mentions some rule words you may not wish to know. They're fairly mundane ones, though.
– Fixed a bug where certain interaction with the word Pull caused an infinite loop
– Repositioned "return to map" in the pause menu
– Fixed an issue with opening the pause menu while a level was restarting
– Fixed a typo in the credits text
– Fixed a bug where the level counter bugged out at 100 levels solved
– Fixed "Disable zoom" saying "Zoom mode" in settings
– Fixed a bug related to the word Tele
– Fixed an infinite loop in Chasm (one remains)
– Fixed the ability to get multiple [REDACTED]
– Fixed several achievements not working
– Fixed the game showing gamepad hints when gamepad is connected but player is playing using the keyboard
– Made the crash in "Love is out there" harder to get – it's still there so this needs more work
– Fixed a lua error in A Way Out?
– There's a new zoom mode – stretch!
– Fixed the ABABA bug
– Fixed a bug where the sound crackles when fading
– Fixed the general sound snap bug
– Fixed the bug where alt-tabbing reduces performance greatly
– Fixed an infinite loop related to "Word"
– Alleviated the issue with multiple Push objects in a row. Still ways to go with that, though
– Swapped two secret levels to make certain secret stuff flow better
– Two new levels! One is in the Solitary Isle area, one is hidden
– Coronation promoted to an extra level
– Levels shuffled around in Cavern a bit
– Fixed an infinite loop related to "Pull"
– Fixed a newly-introduced bug related to "Not"
– Fixed a bug where undoing didn't revert certain qualities
– Fixed a bug where the main map included unintended areas as being required for completion
– New fix for audio issues
– Fix to an area not getting the "completed" flower
– Fix to the new zoom mode potentially not working
– Fix to save slots 2 & 3 sometimes bugging when you start a fresh game on them
– Fixed a level with "Cliff" not appearing properly as an object
– Fixed a lua error related to undoing when Float is involved

Level adjustments to at least these levels:

– Prison
– A Way Out?
– Ghost Friend
– Backstage
– Grand Stream
– Maritime Adventures
– Alley
– Further fields (promoted into an extra level)
– A way out?
– Got all this stuff here
– Meteor rain
– Stardrop
– Queue
– The pit
– Catch the thief!
– Endless Corridor
– Meta
– Tunnel
– Overgrowth
– Elusive Condition
– Condition
– The End
– Passing Through
– Coronation
– Metacognition
– Adventure
– Buried Treasure
– Depths
– Another Way
– Insulation
– Secret Garden
– Babas Are You
– Guardians

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
You're playing on Switch, I assume? I gather it's been patched on PC, I assume that that's not the intended solution.

For the record, Hempuli's blog has the patch notes for the upcoming Switch 1.0.3 to move in line with the PC version:

Spoilered for length, mainly, although it mentions some rule words you may not wish to know. They're fairly mundane ones, though.
– Fixed a bug where certain interaction with the word Pull caused an infinite loop
– Repositioned "return to map" in the pause menu
– Fixed an issue with opening the pause menu while a level was restarting
– Fixed a typo in the credits text
– Fixed a bug where the level counter bugged out at 100 levels solved
– Fixed "Disable zoom" saying "Zoom mode" in settings
– Fixed a bug related to the word Tele
– Fixed an infinite loop in Chasm (one remains)
– Fixed the ability to get multiple [REDACTED]
– Fixed several achievements not working
– Fixed the game showing gamepad hints when gamepad is connected but player is playing using the keyboard
– Made the crash in "Love is out there" harder to get – it's still there so this needs more work
– Fixed a lua error in A Way Out?
– There's a new zoom mode – stretch!
– Fixed the ABABA bug
– Fixed a bug where the sound crackles when fading
– Fixed the general sound snap bug
– Fixed the bug where alt-tabbing reduces performance greatly
– Fixed an infinite loop related to "Word"
– Alleviated the issue with multiple Push objects in a row. Still ways to go with that, though
– Swapped two secret levels to make certain secret stuff flow better
– Two new levels! One is in the Solitary Isle area, one is hidden
– Coronation promoted to an extra level
– Levels shuffled around in Cavern a bit
– Fixed an infinite loop related to "Pull"
– Fixed a newly-introduced bug related to "Not"
– Fixed a bug where undoing didn't revert certain qualities
– Fixed a bug where the main map included unintended areas as being required for completion
– New fix for audio issues
– Fix to an area not getting the "completed" flower
– Fix to the new zoom mode potentially not working
– Fix to save slots 2 & 3 sometimes bugging when you start a fresh game on them
– Fixed a level with "Cliff" not appearing properly as an object
– Fixed a lua error related to undoing when Float is involved

Level adjustments to at least these levels:

– Prison
– A Way Out?
– Ghost Friend
– Backstage
– Grand Stream
– Maritime Adventures
– Alley
– Further fields (promoted into an extra level)
– A way out?
– Got all this stuff here
– Meteor rain
– Stardrop
– Queue
– The pit
– Catch the thief!
– Endless Corridor
– Meta
– Tunnel
– Overgrowth
– Elusive Condition
– Condition
– The End
– Passing Through
– Coronation
– Metacognition
– Adventure
– Buried Treasure
– Depths
– Another Way
– Insulation
– Secret Garden
– Babas Are You
– Guardians
Oh huh, I thought the patch had already come out on the switch version, can't remember if I downloaded it the other day or not but that could definitely be it then.
Edit: ok yeah I'm on 1.0.2 so I imagine the easy solution is removed in the update/already on PC

Oct 25, 2017
So, post 183/11/1:

i don't necessarily want a hint, just venting: I know there must be an alternate exit to Turn the Corner, and I feel like I've got it so close but I can't seal the deal yet.

I also haven't worked out how to get the alternate exit in Finale? yet.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Wooof, went straight from intro level to Lake-extra-2 and am stuck a little. The logic to resolve the puzzle makes sense but the spatial maneuvering gets annoying.

An in-level save state seems like it'd be an awful nice thing to have.

But, the game is very much living up to it's potential, enjoyment, frustrations and all.

Last edited:

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I haven't been back to Baba in a while. I'm not good at puzzles and I can only stare at the same screen for so long before I get bored. Looking up the solution to Rocky Road was a heavy blow in terms of my motivation as I knew I would have never come across that solution on my own in a million years. Still fumbled onward a little further and unlocked the next tier of levels then after dealing with EMPTY in the space world I just kinda fizzled out and moved on to Sekiro and Yoshi.

Debating if it's worth pushing on with liberal use of a guide, but then I know I'm going to be depriving myself of the eureka and mindblowing moments (of which there have already been some, don't get me wrong). I guess if the alternative is never playing the game again it's better to get the diluted experience than none at all.

Eh, guess I'll come back and try to do it "properly" at least one more time... After Sekiro. :p

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been back to Baba in a while. I'm not good at puzzles and I can only stare at the same screen for so long before I get bored. Looking up the solution to Rocky Road was a heavy blow in terms of my motivation as I knew I would have never come across that solution on my own in a million years. Still fumbled onward a little further and unlocked the next tier of levels then after dealing with EMPTY in the space world I just kinda fizzled out and moved on to Sekiro and Yoshi.

Debating if it's worth pushing on with liberal use of a guide, but then I know I'm going to be depriving myself of the eureka and mindblowing moments (of which there have already been some, don't get me wrong). I guess if the alternative is never playing the game again it's better to get the diluted experience than none at all.

Eh, guess I'll come back and try to do it "properly" at least one more time... After Sekiro. :p

Try asking for hints here rather than looking up solutions, most people here will clue things in a gentle manner to try to lead you to the key revelation rather than give it to you outright. It's usually a good idea to outline what you understand about a given puzzle too and what assumptions you've made, just in case there's any incorrect beliefs in there.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Finally finished the game (217/11/4) in 77 hours !
I asked for help on some levels (7 or 8 levels I think) and for finding some hidden levels, but I'm glad I did most of the game without help.
Best puzzle game I've ever played.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Captain's Log - 20190408:
10hrs into Out at Sea. About to eat my own hair. There must be a mechanic I'm not thinking about because it's just not possible to PUSH everything I want. It doesn't help that I only get 30min chunks on the subway. May need to spend a contiguous night on this one.

Feb 15, 2018
10hrs into Out at Sea. About to eat my own hair. There must be a mechanic I'm not thinking about because it's just not possible to PUSH everything I want. It doesn't help that I only get 30min chunks on the subway. May need to spend a contiguous night on this one.

Amazing. "Testimonials" such as this definitely have me keen to pick it up.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

I am terrified and excited at catching up to where some of you people are.

You can take back actions to your heart's content, so I don't think this feature would actually add much.

Yes, but for even moderately complex puzzles there are multiple branching decision points from which an all-or-one-at-a-time approach can be frustrating. I'm at my third area, the Ros...
es are red/violets are blue
part, and I'm guessing that that's still relatively easy; yet, having "versioning" would have already been helpful in a couple of places.

From a user experience design perspective it's not about enabling a functionality, but rather assisting people focus on the content of the game, which is using their brains and getting immersed in the game feel.

I don't really expect them to build it; it's merely a nice-to-think-about.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but for even moderately complex puzzles there are multiple branching decision points from which an all-or-one-at-a-time approach is frustrating.

From a user experience design perspective it's not about enabling a functionality, but rather assisting people focus on the content of the game, which is using their brains and getting immersed in the game feel. I don't really expect them to build it; it's merely a nice-to-have.
Yeah, this would be a huge nice-to-have. I'm being lenient here because it's a small indie dev. But save states would probably be way easier to build than rewind tbh. So he gave us the more complicated of the two, but I do wish we had both.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this would be a huge nice-to-have. I'm being lenient here because it's a small indie dev. But save states would probably be way easier to build than rewind tbh. So he gave us the more complicated of the two, but I do wish we had both.

Yup. Both are helpful in its own ways; the quick undo is definitely not bad!

But this is a sitch where you're simultaneously empathetic to the devs' needs but also thinking OMG THAT WOULD TOTALLY BE A GAMECHANGER

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
One advice: don't hesitate to watch a solution on Youtube if you're stuck in every direction. The difficulty curve is not really progressive, I managed to solve several puzzles by myself after clearing several dead-ends I was stuck on. It's great to open-up a whole new set of puzzles. There's more than 200, don't leave 100 puzzles behind just because you're stuck on 20.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm told the Switch patch is out now, although I've not been able to verify it yet.

In this post I do a detailed stepwise hint routine for Out At Sea, if you need help - it's very gradual and might help you make the key revelations yourself.

One advice: don't hesitate to watch a solution on Youtube if you're stuck in every direction. The difficulty curve is not really progressive, I managed to solve several puzzles by myself after clearing several dead-ends I was stuck on. It's great to open-up a whole new set of puzzles. There's more than 200, don't leave 100 puzzles behind just because you're stuck on 20.

I think asking for help and being guided through the way to think is a little more helpful - but of course that requires someone who can do so!