• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 from Gameinformer

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/baba-is-you/clever-puzzles-with-too-many-variables

"Baba is You makes you feel brilliant as you transform the properties of each puzzle to get the win in the early game – but then things get complicated."

I think there are some levels that are perhaps a little overly fiddly, but I wouldn't suggest it's a majority of the late game, and many of the more complex puzzles can be viewed as a smaller number of sub-puzzles that can be thought as discrete problems. Heck, if anything I'd say that the puzzles I solved last night to finish off the game were - for the most part - pretty simple, they just required the initial mental leap to get things going.

Without giving too much away, one of the very last puzzles revisits one from much earlier in the game which was hard at the time, but is easy in light of what you've learned by this point - however there's now one new wrinkle which you need to take into account. Compensating for that wrinkle is a very easy action, but realising what you need to do - and what it means in a real sense - only comes from the learning you've taken throughout the game.
I think that's broadly true of much of the endgame; it's about inspiration, not busywork.

One thing that I often latch onto with puzzle games is that many of them are just too easy for an experienced puzzle-solver. That's not necessarily a bad thing if the puzzles remain interesting and satisfying - I love Monument Valley, but it's a trivial solve - but it's refreshing to genuinely be challenged in this (and a couple of years ago by The Witness); both stand-out titles that stuck in my head long after the credits rolled. Reading a review like this puts me in mind of someone suggesting that a Souls game is too hard; it's not an unreasonable assessment, but there's an audience who are craving exactly that - I do note that the same author has comments on Sekiro saying that he's enjoying it but not looking forward to the difficulty curve kicking in!

(Although one aside: At least you could lessen the challenge of a Soulslike with some number tweaking. You can't really do that with a puzzle game while preserving the intent of the puzzles themselves)

Which isn't to say that there's anything wrong with this assessment as such, but it means this review isn't reflective of my desires as a player of puzzle games. I'm rather curious how the author did and where they got to - and if they at least got the credits to roll. If the author wasn't capable of that, it puts things in a bit of a different light.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I often latch onto with puzzle games is that many of them are just too easy for an experienced puzzle-solver. That's not necessarily a bad thing if the puzzles remain interesting and satisfying - I love Monument Valley, but it's a trivial solve - but it's refreshing to genuinely be challenged in this (and a couple of years ago by The Witness); both stand-out titles that stuck in my head long after the credits rolled. Reading a review like this puts me in mind of someone suggesting that a Souls game is too hard; it's not an unreasonable assessment, but there's an audience who are craving exactly that - I do note that the same author has comments on Sekiro saying that he's enjoying it but not looking forward to the difficulty curve kicking in!
Have you ever heard of Stephen's Sausage Roll?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever heard of Stephen's Sausage Roll?

I have, but haven't got around to it. I've played some other Increpare stuff, and I'd quite like to finish off English Country Tune before I play with the sausages, but that's sort-of fallen by the wayside.

As an aside, the list of playtesters in the credits is quite the who's who of quality puzzle designers. Alan Hazelden (who also contributed a level)! Stephen Lavelle! Jonathan Blow! Probably more but I don't have the list readily to hand!