• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thanks! I wanted this game but didn't know if I should go PC or Switch

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Glad to hear this turned out well. Definitely looked interesting when it was revealed.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I'm so downloading this when I get home.

Any reviews give an idea of how long it is? (I saw in one that there were 200+ puzzles, which seems like it would take a while...)

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'm so downloading this when I get home.

Any reviews give an idea of how long it is? (I saw in one that there were 200+ puzzles, which seems like it would take a while...)
The Gamekult reviewer said he wasn't smart enough to get anywhere near 200-puzzle completion. He mentioned "A lot of content, especially if you're hardcore" as a Plus.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
While those early levels are more contained in their ambition, thus allowing for exploration of how the creative mechanics work, later levels expand their scope, implementing a plethora of moving parts while detailing lists of unalterable conditions. While the former are mostly just annoying for the constant restarts they necessitate, the latter actually betray the earlier spirit of freedom, forming laundry lists of iron-clad commands that turn what was once fun into more of a chore.

This has me a little worried for the end levels. It looks like an amazing game and I hope I won't get soured by that.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The Gamekult reviewer said he wasn't smart enough to get anywhere near 200-puzzle completion.
That sounds like me. So the game is infinitely long then :D
Only vaguely from what I've seen. NintendoWire said "The hundreds of puzzles here kept me playing for several hours" and A 90's Kid said, "$15 is a negligible risk compared to the dozens of hours of delight and surprise that await the player..."
Yeah, I'm so down for this then!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

Only vaguely from what I've seen. NintendoWire said "The hundreds of puzzles here kept me playing for several hours" and A 90's Kid said, "$15 is a negligible risk compared to the dozens of hours of delight and surprise that await the player..."

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I follow a lot of indie devs on Twitter, a lot of individuals just making a game themselves, and I've watched them go from posting silly GIFs of prototypes to making them into full games to announcing platforms for release. It's always nice to see them succeed. This game and WarGroove come to mind.

I've admired this one for a while. I like the simplistic art style and the unique mechanics. I'm hoping GiantBomb and Polygon do long reviews of this soon.

Shinzen

Jul 1, 2018
I haven't bought an indie game on the first day for a long time but I will make an exception for this one.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
welp, just read the kotaku and polygon reviews

game was not at all on my radar, but i'm 100% getting it now

May 5, 2018
I follow a lot of indie devs on Twitter, a lot of individuals just making a game themselves, and I've watched them go from posting silly GIFs of prototypes to making them into full games to announcing platforms for release. It's always nice to see them succeed. This game and WarGroove come to mind.

I've admired this one for a while. I like the simplistic art style and the unique mechanics. I'm hoping GiantBomb and Polygon do long reviews of this soon.
Polygon already has a review up and the writer loved it! I haven't seen Giant Bomb talk about it but hopefully they give it a Quick Look or even talk about it extensively on one of their podcasts.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope some more major outlets review this game. It's looking to be a bit under the radar considering how unique and impressive it apparently is.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great from my hour long experience. Well worth the money if you like puzzle games. You'll get stuck on some of them for a couple minutes to even longer even in the beginning though. The game can be pretty hard sometimes.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The big review sites ignoring this IGF winner is the equivalent of movie critics ignoring the Critic's Choice Awards winner. The gaming press is still completely immature (Bar EDGE and a few other outlets).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The big review sites ignoring this IGF winner is the equivalent of movie critics ignoring the Critic's Choice Awards winner. The gaming press is still completely immature (Bar EDGE and a few other outlets).

Surprised there's been no review from Eurogamer, they tend to be more hot on indies than many others (IIRC, it was their review that introduced me to SpaceChem). That said, it may simply be a question of time, I guess!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Wargroove and about to finish Iconoclasts. Might move onto this next.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Believe the hype, and watch very little footage as everything gives away solutions. The difficulty escalated quickly within the first 10-15 levels, but it's good. Perfect for pickup (and put down) and play on the Switch.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised there's been no review from Eurogamer, they tend to be more hot on indies than many others (IIRC, it was their review that introduced me to SpaceChem). That said, it may simply be a question of time, I guess!

It was just a question of time; here is the Eurogamer review.

Recommended.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I liked the look of this and seeing the reviews I think I will finally spend my eShop credit.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Reviews weren't kidding, this is an incredibly creative and well designed game. I'm about 2 worlds deep now and absolutely love it!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've played some extremely challenging puzzles but I haven't run into a brick wall nor overwhelming complexity like in Stephen's Sausage Roll... not yet...

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
What a great line from the Eurogamer review:

Edge said:
Somewhere in amongst all this you get to see the illicit magic of games, where lava is only hot if you say it is, and where hot things only make you melt if you say they do anyway.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best puzzle game since Stephen's Sausage Roll, FULL STOP.

Not quite as good, but it also doesn't make you feel like an idiot as frequently, which is a good trade-off imo

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/18/baba-is-you-review-game-is-good-8919056/

9/10

"A hugely original puzzler that relies on raw logic in a way only a video game could, providing some of the most satisfyingly open-ended challenges of the generation."

This is the best puzzle game since Stephen's Sausage Roll, FULL STOP.

Not quite as good, but it also doesn't make you feel like an idiot as frequently, which is a good trade-off imo

And that makes it more fun, which is more important to me.

Last edited: