• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I understand it's published by SE but... This ain't a good look for Platinum Games.

There is like some changes on it but you can clearly tell what was used as the base.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest since it's the same publisher I don't really see it as a huge issue. Don't sister studios share tech and stuff all the time? I know some Sony studios have openly talked about that.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
This might be just an unfortunate screenshot comparison too, but why does the BF's screenshot looks worse? If it wasn't for the face detail I would have thought I was looking at a Dark Souls 1 summon.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
To be honest since it's the same publisher I don't really see it as a huge issue. Don't sister studios share tech and stuff all the time?

sister studios are owned by the same company.

PG is an outside contractor, it's not the same thing at all.

It's like MS hiring a studio to work on a third person shooter and they rip Gears armors and weapons.

(not saying it's an issue, just explaining)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of that looks like just generic stuff

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see the issue with this. asset reuse is good IMO

The game itself being good is something else though. They should focus their efforts there.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
You do realize it's probable Square Enix shared a pool of assets with PlatinumGames to expedite development ?

It's about time people stop being annoying regarding assets reuse especially when it's not out of place in a game setting.

Saying it's a bad look for PG is ridiculous

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017

It's like MS hiring a studio to work on a third person shooter and they rip Gears armors and weapons.
And if they're fine with it, then what's the problem? If the issue is that they're not making much effort in developing their game, you all want to know how much FFXIV reused assets?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
That is no big deal, I assume S-E gave them the assets to use. Game looks bad though.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They are the same publisher? Is that a problem?

Especially since Final fantasy 14 itself deliberately re-uses stuff from other SE games. half the game just feels like a bit homage to other Final fantasy games (that is an exaggeration, but still.)

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

Oh yeah I get that and appreciate it's not the exact same thing but it's still a publisher sharing stuff between studios right? It's probably just a cost/time saving thing to help development.

I guess I just assume this sort of thing is a lot more common than we realise, just maybe not this blatant usually.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

If Square Enix said "Hey Platinum, you can use these assets" I don't see the problem.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah I'm sure PG is ripping the armors under Square Enix nose instead of the publisher itself giving those assets to PG as an effort to accelerate development.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
And if they're fine with it, then what's the problem? If the issue is that they're not making much effort in developing their game, you all want to know how much FFXIV reused assets?

Yes, FF reuses assets from FF or FF-related games.

It's not using assets from Tomb Raider or Avengers.

I think Asset Reuse is fine within reason. Here you can clearly tell where the assets are from so it takes away from it's own game.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at games like Elden Ring or Dark Souls, who still use assets straight from Demon's Souls... Did anybody really find this an issue there? I know I didn't.

Same goes to other Rockstar games like GTA reusing the ice cream truck from Bodyharvest 64 or Manhunt having the beta blista car from Vice City or RDR using some of the trees from GTA 5.

It is not that big of a deal. IMO the budget is better off used on more important things.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at games like Elden Ring or Dark Souls, who still use assets straight from Demon's Souls... Did anybody really find this an issue there? I know I didn't.

I'd actually argue there is a difference between a singular studio making a bunch of games in the same genre reusing stuff and a contractor developer trying to establish a brand new IP using assets from another game that are easily identifiable as being from another game.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
1) same publisher, their own rules, if they think reusing assets will make the development cheaper and quicker than so be it.
2) seeing as these images are taken from a closed beta for getting impressions for gameplay, it feels too premature to complain about asset reuse from other games, although I wont be shocked if it will be the case at launch either way.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'd actually argue there is a difference between a singular studio making a bunch of games in the same genre reusing stuff and a contractor developer trying to establish a brand new IP using assets from another game that are easily identifiable as being from another game.
Why are you putting so much emphasis on the "contractor" bit? Does that make PG unworthy to reuse any of the assets of the people literally funding the project?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
NDA… ran out? What? The game isn't even out yet.
edit: ah I see, beta. Still, doesn't seem like an NDA would run out before release..

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
If it saves development time, what's the issue? Not like those gears are being worn by players in FF14 anyway, they hide too much skin.

Reusing assets should be done more often if it can reduce workload and it makes sense, I'm all for it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What is the process here you think they went through. They stole a bunch of assets from their publisher, or Square gave them a bunch for beta testing. Which is more likely.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the games I mentioned are not even the same genere. Especially Body Harvest or Manhunt who are wildly different from GTA.

But that's beside the point, movies reuse props/costumes etc all the time and many of them are not even the same movie. It is not that different here and it is a better way to use budget than to make new very similar assets just so they can say they are new.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, FF reuses assets from FF or FF-related games.

It's not using assets from Tomb Raider or Avengers.

I think Asset Reuse is fine within reason. Here you can clearly tell where the assets are from so it takes away from it's own game.
XIV is wildly different than XIII in terms of art direction. And they took a lot from the XIII trilogy that everyone likes to blame the downfall of FF on (even though it helped SE stay afloat after XIV 1.0). Those armors are so generic looking most people would not even be able to tell if they were from XIV. The texturing and coloring do look like a bad choice for some of them in BF though.

Status
Not open for further replies.