• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So I have had enough with cheap bags. finally decided to invest in a good expensive backpack that will last me years.

I need it for two reasons
1). Daily work and Gym stuff (Laptop, lunch box, gym clothes, water bottle and gym shoes)
2). Travelling. I do at least 2-3 trips a year. 1-2 week long. Though this will not be my only backpack but more of a companion backpack. That will hold at least a pair of clothes, thin sweater and all the daily items)

I am down to two choices.

Tom Bihn's Synapse 25 ($200)

TB0111-BH_1024x1024.jpg

GR1 ($300)

goruck-gr2.jpg

I am leaning towards Synapse 25 because of all the front pockets and its $100 cheaper, but GR1 looks badass lol

Does anyone own either of these backpack to give some impression? or if you have any other backpack just as high quality please do suggest.

UPDATE

So i went with Tom Bihn

Going to iceland this friday, was able to fit almost everything in this pack. Love it. Quality of zipper and material is top notch.

TEpNNw0.jpg

4ZB0bcD.jpg

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend looking into sub 100 $ swissgear backpacks.
I have one that i paid 50 bucks for half a decade ago and it still looks new.

Oct 30, 2017
That GR1 looks slick as hell but $300, yeesh. I still feel guilty about my $100 North Face backpack but that thing is amazing. Unfortunately it's very athletic sneaker looking so I can't wear it for work, I dress business casual.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Peak Design Everyday Backpack and I love it. It's designed as bag to handle photography gear, but it's super customizable and I use it on my work trips to hold clothes and other items.

c22981adab15a2023476786d8d282d2c_original-everyday-backpack.gif

Portage-sac-peakdesign-backpack.gif

I use it a lot of it's intended purpose, but I've gone backpacking with it, and I bring a couple days clothing in it on work trips.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Check out the Nomatic travel bag, my dude. I use it for everything you need, as well as for my daily commute. Would recommend to anyone.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I have had enough with cheap bags. finally decided to invest in a good expensive backpack that will last me years.

I need it for two reasons
1). Daily work and Gym stuff (Laptop, lunch box, gym clothes, water bottle and gym shoes)
2). Travelling. I do at least 2-3 trips a year. 1-2 week long. Though this will not be my only backpack but more of a companion backpack. That will hold at least a pair of clothes, thin sweater and all the daily items)

I am down to two choices.

Tom Bihn's Synapse 25 ($200)

TB0111-BH_1024x1024.jpg

GR1 ($300)

goruck-gr2.jpg

I am leaning towards Synapse 25 because of all the front pockets and its $100 cheaper, but GR1 looks badass lol

Does anyone own either of these backpack to give some impression? or if you have any other backpack just as high quality please do suggest.
Backpacks are not a good investment purchase because by nature they are going to get scuffed and nicked if you are taking them on planes and buses. You are even going further using it as a gym bag.

If they are just going in the car for the gym you are better off with a gym bag that has vents. The ones you are listing here look sturdier than a $15 Amazon backpack, but in my experience backpacks get too dirty or smelly to warrant a $200-300 purchase as a gym/travel bag.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
get the bottom one,an extra $100 is a small price to pay to have a dog carry it around for you instead of carrying it around yourself like a sucker

Oct 25, 2017
Backpacks are not a good investment purchase because by nature they are going to get scuffed and nicked if you are taking them on planes and buses. You are even going further using it as a gym bag.

If they are just going in the car for the gym you are better off with a gym bag that has vents. The ones you are listing here look sturdier than a $15 Amazon backpack, but in my experience backpacks get too dirty or smelly to warrant a $200-300 purchase as a gym/travel bag.
The one I linked to looks better the more it gets beat up.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
I have a couple goruck packs, so definitely go with them :) Indestructible, well thought out, and sleek compared to a lot of tactical packs, but not so, what would be a good term, hippy? Plus made in America, which is a nice bonus IMHO.

Goruck bags seem to hold their value pretty well, at least for backpacks. If you keep it out of the dirt you could flip it for most of what you paid for it in a year. Hell, my goruck bags have all been through multiple obstacle events and when cleaned up I could still get good money for them.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went through a ton of backpacks over the years, and finally ended up using an Army issued bag I'd gotten for airsoft or something.

usgi-multicam-molle-ii-assault-pack-3.gif

3day rifleman pack I think. My original one has lasted probably close to 10 years now. I got a multicam one last year as the universal camo of the original was kinda faded. The seams and everything hold up great. It's only got like 3 sections for storing stuff, but it's made really really well, which ended up being the most important thing to me.

Had way too many broken zippers, torn handles, etc.

I think they might have an issue one in coyote Brown for people who dislike camo.

Can usually find them one eBay between $50-$100 I'd guess. Sometimes cheaper if they're slightly used.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used the same Jansport backpack for 12 straight years. It went to three continents and took me from fifth grade to post-college graduation. Held up.

Only put it down because I needed to ask for something for Christmas in December and was like... I've always wanted a Superdry backpack. It's honestly not that great. Not much room in it.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Just wanna say Everlane's build quality isn't great. The North Face Pivoter is my fave backpack.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got a Topo Design bag pack last year, use it for everything, I really love it. I get compliments on it everywhere I go.

bags-rover-pack-2_1024x1024.jpg

bags-rover-pack-23_1024x1024.jpg

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have North Face Recon but since I can get the 25% discount I'm going to get a GoRuck sometime soon.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I used the same Jansport backpack for 12 straight years. It went to three continents and took me from fifth grade to post-college graduation. Held up.

Only put it down because I needed to ask for something for Christmas in December and was like... I've always wanted a Superdry backpack. It's honestly not that great. Not much room in it.
Same here. I've had the same Jansport since middle school. It's lasted all kinds of vacations and daily use.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I have the North Face Surge. Not crazy expensive. It's been great for work travel and everyday commute.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
D5_E87941-4_E9_D-4_B09-_A8_E3-1_DE5_DA84_F0_FE.jpg

Here is my backpack.
It's pretty great, very spacious internal pouch and pretty rugged. Sometimes the top zipper bothers me but other than that I have no real complaints. I kinda live out of my backpack during the work week so it usually sits just right there riding shotgun so I can pull shit out of it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I came in here thinking I would be hot shit with my XD Bobby backpack but wow... Where do you people find these awesome bags????

No really, what shops/sites have I been missing that have them? Much like the stereotype that girls have lots of shoes, I'm that way with backpacks.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Tacticool packs are all the rage right now... gotta have a pocket for each of your 20 knives, flashlights, USB chargers, and emergency rations.

IMG_5368.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
This is like my bread and butter right here. I've spent so much time research bags. I highly recommend the Carryology site for getting an extensive overview of bags. If you can try and find a retailer near you with any of the brands you're looking for. I almost blindly bought a bag based on reviews, but I saw it in person and hated how it worked.

The GoRuck G1 is a good bag but the biggest criticism is weight. This will be any tactical bag really

The Peak Design bag is super modular, but it's very photography focused. So it has a lot of pockets and nooks. It's the very definition of a "tech" bag.

The Topo Rover is a really solid light duty bag, but it's very small. It's ~14L which will fill up fast if you're trying to turn it into a day pack or any kind of multi purpose bag. Topo is a solid option and has a lot of different bags to meet your needs. Something in the 20L range is probably your best bet so the Klettersack (I have this one) or DayPack may work.

Mission Workshop makes GREAT bags and they're pretty bombproof (much like the GoRuck) but a very much an investment and not for everyone.

I also cannot overstate how important a good high visibility interior is for a bag. Topo is super good with this by having pretty much all their bags with a yellow/green fabric. A LOT of cycling first bags (Chrome, SF Bags, Mission Workshop) don't have high vis and they can look like an abyss when digging for stuff.

Something like this (Mission Workshop Fitzroy VX [I own this too]) is WAY WAY easier to find stuff in, especially at 40L, then it's non VX version which is all black inside.

Opening.jpg

I 100% disagree with this. Invest properly and a bag can last you a very long time. And to be honest any bag will smell if you leave sweaty clothes in it. The important thing to do is make sure you get one with a good internal liner. I would not run with a standard fabric/canvas for an internal pocket.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's actually really hard to shop for specific backpacks.

Finding a backpack that can hold 2 bottles of a certain size and not be a 40 L monster has actually been tough.

So far feature wise the Nomatic Backpack has been the best thing I've seen.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For fucks sake, OP- GO FOR THE $300 GR1 Pack. You don't know how useful water proof backpacks are until you get caught in torrential rain like I have. I broke a bunch of expensive electronics while riding my bike when a storm rolled in.

I'm into the outdoors and also needed a pack that I could use for everyday excursions around town.

This is the Osprey Skarab 32l with a hydration port/reservoir. It's removable, so I have no issues with doing daily work with it.

1ece92b6-3f42-42dc-9489-f1e5e7eab55f

Not waterproof, but I've slid down the side of mountains in this thing and it still functions with no tears.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I had a Mission Workshop backpack in college but it would make so much noise whenever I would want to go in it.

Now I have an Aer backpack and I love it.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
_100385193.jpg

Paid $80 for a Herschel backpack 5 years ago. I've traveled with it all over the world and about to get my 2nd bachelors degree with it. It's been to hell and back with me and it's still in great shape. If mine tore, I would get another one immediately.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't mind backpacks but sometimes I feel like the really nice ones made out of ballistic nylon are way way way too heavy once you have a ton of stuff in them. Timbuk2 and porter use that nylon and I'd rather just carry a cheap ass jansport bag once I have a book, a laptop, and a sweatshirt in there. Terrible for travel aside from knowing it'll never tear.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I have a swiss gear one that I got from Costco I think... maybe cost $50?

I wouldn't spend over a hundred on a backpack. that's ridiculous.

and honestly reading what you want, it might be better to just get a messenger bag for work stuff. backpacks are kinda for kids or college students. then a gym bag for your gym stuff...

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That GR1 backpack looks sweet, I've been looking for a new one as well, so I'll keep suggestions from here in mind.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a swiss gear one that I got from Costco I think... maybe cost $50?

I wouldn't spend over a hundred on a backpack. that's ridiculous.

and honestly reading what you want, it might be better to just get a messenger bag for work stuff. backpacks are kinda for kids or college students. then a gym bag for your gym stuff...

When you know what you want and you want quality, it's better to just buy the proper bag. The Mission Workshop I just bought retails for around $350 (didn't pay that) but that thing will be bomb proof and I'll never have to worry about possibly ruining it in anyway. If you're planning to really use a bag and beat up on it, it's silly to spend cheap

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
When you know what you want and you want quality, it's better to just buy the proper bag. The Mission Workshop I just bought retails for around $350 (didn't pay that) but that thing will be bomb proof and I'll never have to worry about possibly ruining it in anyway. If you're planning to really use a bag and beat up on it, it's silly to spend cheap
I think there isn't that much of a jump in quality between the one I grabbed at Costco a decade ago and a 350 dollar one. its all just nylon sewn together. it seems like a thing where the level of quality plateaus pretty quickly.

but you know. whatever works in the end.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I bought a Chrome Rostov. I have only had cheap backpacks before it, but it seems to have way way better built quality. Rostov doesn't seem to be on their site anymore, but there are other models.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there isn't that much of a jump in quality between the one I grabbed at Costco a decade ago and a 350 dollar one. its all just nylon sewn together. it seems like a thing where the level of quality plateaus pretty quickly.

but you know. whatever works in the end.

I beg to differ. There is definitely a difference in materials, zippers used, stitching and such.

markavacado

Oct 25, 2017
I've owned the GR1 for a little more than a year and a half now, and man this thing is great. The price is pretty high for a back pack for sure, but the build quality on this thing is incredible.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018

I've been rocking the GR1 (40L) as my "go-to" backpack for just about everything. I do a fair amount of traveling for work (at least two trips per month) and it's my carry-on (carries enough for two days travel to a client's side and my technical goodies to do said job). Depending on how you pack your goods, you could probably squeeze four days (I'm a big/tall dude so my clothes take up more space than desired). I usually have a pelican case (they're $20-25 from GoRuck) filled with external drives (thumb and portable drives). I have to say that it's fairly sturdy - as it's been through the TSA too many times to count and it's gone on hiking trips (roughed up a bit, but still rocking). I may be biased as this is my first "real" backpack that wasn't just an overpriced laptop bag.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
GR1s are definitely worth the money.

I have a 5.11 Rush 12, but I mainly just use it for rucking. Great bag.

511-tactical-rush-12-backpack-sandstone.jpg

My daily bag I use for work was issued to me back when I was in the USAF. I've had it about +5 years now, it's still going good. (Three Day Pass)

71b0XZ1CL%2BL._SY450_.jpg