• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but Y u want to eat me era?
1476718f02b6038645a26ffcb844b1f8--bowties-little-pigs.jpg

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No you don't.

The one of the right is what Swedes call bacon. In the UK it is known as "streaky bacon". The one on the left is called "Kotlett Bacon". Tulip's version of it literally called it "the English Classic" on the packet:

05707196160109_g1n1.jpg

I was referring to the top image, so I think we agree. :)

I've never heard it called "kotlettbacon" though, we just called that kind "fläsk".

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the wikipedia article.

If you like belly bacon, you should try "Wammerl". That's what we bbq in Bavaria. It's basically thick bacon strips and you bbq them until they're almost burnt and super crispy. My go-to thing in the summer.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The word bacon now sounds weird and has become meaningless to me after reading through this thread.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Ah, now that the OP is in his ivory UK tower all the US criticisms come out.

But seriously, properly cooked/smoked thick cut US bacon with a tiny bit of maple syrup is incredible.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He needs to stop being so damn tasty.

Classic victim blaming, it can't help that it's outrageously scrumptious.

Yep. That said, thick bacon from the deli section of a grocery store is infinitely superior to pre-packaged. A lot closer to the Australian one posted above.

I gotta try some thick bacon. I've always thought about it, but for some reason, never have.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Today I learned Americans love their bacon stiff and hard and the UK loves theirs floppy and semi rigid.

And Canadians love theirs with Maple Syrup (shocker!)

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just read the wikipedia article.

If you like belly bacon, you should try "Wammerl". That's what we bbq in Bavaria. It's basically thick bacon strips and you bbq them until they're almost burnt and super crispy. My go-to thing in the summer.
Or also simply called pork belly. But that's only tasty grilled, during warm days.

Usually do it like BLEEN posted, asian style soused and slowly baked.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've never had British bacon, but if someone just handed me a piece of it and didn't tell me which part of the pig it came from, I would think it looked like a piece of ham. That is obviously not the case, but I understand why people in this thread would say so.

I love American bacon, but even that was somewhat ruined for me a couple months ago. I moved into a new house around the corner from a fancy butcher shop that sells jowl bacon. OH MY FUCKING LIFE. It's so good. I wish I could send a package to everyone here who wants one so that we could put this debate about which is better to rest. Because the jowl bacon would win.

Hell yeah! And pork belly is dirt-fookin' cheap. There's a bunch of amazing recipes that can be made with pork belly. My fav. going to (besides bacon):
4e551fec39d8053da01169e67b9a5295.jpg

hong shao rou

I mastered that recipe. It's crack.

I need a recipe for this RIGHT NOW.

This looks super fake. Where's all the grease?!

OP
OP

D65

Oct 26, 2017
If we are gunna talk Asian pork belly recipes this thread will make people very hungry.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I need a recipe for this RIGHT NOW.
No problem.

3 /4 lb. of lean pork belly (cut into 3/4-inch thick pieces)
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon sugar (rock sugar is preferred if you have it)
3 tablespoons shaoxing wine
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 cups water

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the pork for a couple minutes. This gets rid of impurities and starts the cooking process. Take the pork out of the pot and set aside.

Over low heat, add oil and sugar to your wok. Melt the sugar slightly and add the pork. Raise the heat to medium and cook until the pork is lightly browned.

Turn the heat back down to low and add Shaoxing cooking wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and water. It's very important to the color and flavor of this dish that you have both kinds of soy sauce! Just head to your local Asian market, buy a bottle of each, and it will last you a year!

Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until pork is fork tender. Every 5-10 minutes, stir to prevent burning and add more water if it gets too dry. Once the pork is fork tender, if there is still a lot of visible liquid, uncover the wok, turn up the heat, and stir continuously until the sauce has reduced to a glistening coating.

It should come out incredibly tender and glistening when it's all done. Like each layer of pork/fat/skin should almost be falling off tender. If it's not, either boil longer at the beginning or simmer longer at the end. (Add more water if you have to.)

The soy sauces adds a really full-bodied flavor. Incredible really. But you can use just any soy sauce, honestly. I've done it with the Chinese restaurant packets and I really can't complain.

Edit* Oh and you obviously don't need to use a wok lol I just use a large skillet or like a chili/soup pot.

Or also simply called pork belly. But that's only tasty grilled, during warm days.

Usually do it like BLEEN posted, asian style soused and slowly baked.

There's also this method. Pretty similar but baked for a bit longer @350 and you'll get a bit of crispiness this way too. Good call, Ginta , though I've never tried soused pork. Can you send me a link to that method?

If we are gunna talk Asian pork belly recipes this thread will make people very hungry.
LOL I'm done.

(For now)

Last edited:

Cheeky

Oct 30, 2017
It's just back bacon vs belly bacon. We have "US bacon" everywhere here in the UK, we just call it "Streaky bacon"; I'm sure you wrap it around your sausages at christmas time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Omfg if only I had access to a plate a bacon right now. I'm reading this thread while eating a boring bowl of cereal. Fml

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
No problem.

It should come out incredibly tender and glistening when it's all done. Like each layer of pork/fat/skin should almost be falling off tender. If it's not, either boil longer at the beginning or simmer longer at the end. (Add more water if you have to.)

The soy sauces adds a really full-bodied flavor. Incredible really. But you can use just any soy sauce, honestly. I've done it with the Chinese restaurant packets and I really can't complain.

Edit* Oh and you obviously don't need to use a wok lol I just use a large skillet or like a chili/soup pot.

You're a prince, thank you very much! I have a wok and I LOVE cooking with it, but I don't have a lid for it for the simmering portion of this recipe. Might be time to order one. Bonus: there's nothing in that ingredient list that I don't already have in my freezer or pantry, so I might give it a go this weekend.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bacon as defined by the Americans... and I say this as a Canadian... which is bullshit with that back bacon stuff