• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man that sucks. I was gonna go physical with this and turn around and trade it back after I finished it. I still am interested but...

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017

TheGarlic

Feb 8, 2019
I'd like to have a separate version of 1st party Nintendo games sold like this so I don't feel like I'm missing out on my collectible box.

Oct 25, 2017
I can say for sure 16 GB carts have gone down in price manufacturing wise considering we've had or am going to have a handful of budget titles (Dragons Dogma, Darksiders) release at parity budget prices with that size cart.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Well does this at least mean bigger textures since they dont have to shrink the game down to fit on the cartridge like with Doom?

OP
OP
Sagadego17

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can say for sure 16 GB carts have gone down in price manufacturing wise considering we've had or am going to have a handful of budget titles (Dragons Dogma, Darksiders) release at parity budget prices with that size cart.
Yeah and they still could use cart and still micro SD card required if it goes past cart size as well.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is just kinda what I've come to expect with Switch releases. I mean, I can't really fault the publishers if costs are higher to distribute a game on Switch (and lord knows charging more for the Switch version compared to other platforms would not go over very well). Sure, there are certainly a few suspect "digital only" releases, but I'm not ready to assume this is one of those cases without a bit more details, yo ;D

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Understandable if they don't find it profitable enough to do a cartridge but if it's to that point I'd almost prefer they just not release it boxed as it's a bit deceptive. Regardless there are those that would prefer to still at least have a box on a shelf.
Better than Fortnite boxes thats for sure...

Do we know how much space this game takes up? The last Wolfenstein and Doom games took over 20GB with everything.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Easy pass then.

Thanks for saving me money.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The price is nice but not for only a plastic box.

Bethesda is working decently at souring their reputation.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a digital only person, I wish this was more common (especially on PS4/Xbox). You get the benefit of physical pricing but still get the game digitally.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
They feel they still need to sell the game at retail somehow, but modern idTech games are massive because of how they handle textures. Wolfenstein Old Blood was of similar length to what this will probably be and that was 38GB.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yet, oh hey, look at Limited Run Games, or Nicalis...smaller publishers relative to these other ones, and their games are always nicely packaged, and even include some manuals and other goodies inside the box. Bethesda can't even be bothered to put the fucking game in the box.

I mean... Nicalis is doing things like charging $30 for a version of cave story with minor additions that was around $10-15 on previous platforms. It had better damn well be on a card with a bunch of extra junk for that kind of markup.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
That's a feature, not a bug.

One less plastic cart to have to swap in and out whenever you want to switch titles.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
This has to be the first of its kind right?

Has a game ever shipped with no game?

(I still want it, I'm digital only)

The fortnite DLC bundle. That's in a box at the store but only has a code for the DLC. It's weird but it still sold well because it's Fortnite.

TBH, I lost interest in this port when they announced Panic Button was making this since they just flat out don't bother with performance modes like Koei does. I'd gladly take the game scaled back a bunch like their Rocket League one to play at the proper FPS like every other version, rather than having it look pretty and play the worst since if a game isn't made for a lower framerate in mind it almost never feels right. I got pretty mad when they mentioned in an interview how they didn't care about matching FPS as long as the games looked and felt fine unless it was an exception like Rocket League due to the competitive scene in that game.

I kinda find it amusing how people got so mad over Wolf II having a partial download via a patch to play the full story (due to Nintendo's awful cart costs) to the point they didn't buy it (even though you can just update the damn thing) despite Doom doing the same. (it just wasn't apparent and you NEEDED to update if you wanted bug fixes when the multiplayer should have been eShop DLC) Part of me wonders if this is just karma who people who wouldn't bother updating a game that's still easily sharable with friends, as now it's just paper that only means worth in retail exposure.

That, or this game is very close to 32GB or even above it so it literally cannot get on cart even with an update, which would be pretty bad since the base switch won't be able to even play this game. I'd like to cheer for the karma but it's still dumb form to have a game that big be fully digital instead of a more reasonable half/half deal since one use codes suck for reselling. Still it sounds like people interested would be better off preloading from the eShop instead of buying a physical copy since they're pointless at this point. Though I do hope the long-rumored GTAV port comes out this way if the gates are open, since people said it was too big to be on a Switch cart and thus never released.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
very disappointing. it's 30 so i guess kinda understandable. but then again, darksiders and dragon's dogma are 30 and on 16GB carts.
i'll be pissed if doom eternal is the same, but since that one will be full price i'm not too worried yet.

Oct 30, 2017
TBH, I lost interest in this port when they announced Panic Button was making this since they just flat out don't bother with performance modes like Koei does. I'd gladly take the game scaled back a bunch like their Rocket League one to play at the proper FPS like every other version, rather than having it look pretty and play the worst since if a game isn't made for a lower framerate in mind it almost never feels right. I got pretty mad when they mentioned in an interview how they didn't care about matching FPS as long as the games looked and felt fine unless it was an exception like Rocket League due to the competitive scene in that game.

what exactly would you like them to scale back? panic button's FPS ports already run at super-low resolution with settings lower than the lowest on PC. you're not getting this to run at 60fps on the switch unless you make it look like turok dinosaur hunter.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the thing is they could have even used a small cart and required you to download most of the game. that way you could at least resell or buy used copies.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I mean... Nicalis is doing things like charging $30 for a version of cave story with minor additions that was around $10-15 on previous platforms. It had better damn well be on a card with a bunch of extra junk for that kind of markup.

Yeah, despite publishing a lot of very good games, Nicalis is a terrible company run by a sociopath. They corner publishing rights on independent games and charge out the wazoo for them, and take a majority of the cash by strongarming their developers.

And the reason they can put out a slightly updated, way more expensive port of cave story? They own the IP. The guy who created it doesn't own it anymore because of Nicalis. Well, technically, he owns some original assets, but due to a communication/translation error that Nicalis's boss took advantage of, they practically stole all rights to Cave Story and it's characters.

The fact that Umihara Kawase Fresh is published by them is an absolute tragedy, and if it's confirmed that it's English translation is available with the Japanese version, I recommend buying the original release.

Nov 8, 2017

Regardless of your preferences, Doom and Wolfenstein 2 are CPU limited in some scenarios even at the 30fps cap. Even if you reduced the resolution to 16x9 pixels the game would fail to exceed 30fps consistently, and in fact in some cases would be below 30. This isn't speculation either, we know it's CPU limited since a CPU overclock on a homebrew switch can iron out performance drops in both games.

Getting the games to work at 60fps would mean that you would be recieving a seriously cut down game not just in resolution/graphics settings but also level complexity, enemy counts, and so on. They wouldn't be the same games.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
The people that say that they will not get it because of this, would have preferred to pay 10 bucks more than the rest of the community?

genuinely asking

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
This has already happened with a cricket game here in Australia, I thought it was dumb then and I do now.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is the same true for the deluxe edition? I coild understand a 30 dollar version ditching a retail version (in fact, they seem to have done for Europe for all versions iirc), but dropping physical altogether for a 40 dollar version seems a bit cheap considering other pubs haven't done that.