• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, this has been a thing for years and years on many different platforms.
yeah, even first parties occasionally do it.
- mario vs donkey kong tipping stars was just a download code in a box, for both 3ds and wii u versions
- MLB 15 on vita was a download code in a box
- cuphead physical copies for xbo are just a download code, but i think that one is getting a proper physical release once the dlc is out.
minecraft vita was just a code in a box too.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Yeah no buy in this case. Was gonna pick it up cause it was a cheaper release but no cartridge = no thanks.

Gonna wait till it hits bargain bin with Wolf II on PC then like I+DLC did in those combo packs.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
I am so tired of this shit from big publishers on the Switch. I'm sorry, but fuck off with this cheap ass shit. It's ALWAYS the big publishers that do this crap too. Capcom, Bethesda, 2K, etc...They're the only who cheap out on these Switch games.

Yet, oh hey, look at Limited Run Games, or Nicalis...smaller publishers relative to these other ones, and their games are always nicely packaged, and even include some manuals and other goodies inside the box. Bethesda can't even be bothered to put the fucking game in the box.

Don't compare Indie games to these larger games. And when I mean larger I mean file size. It's not the cost of putting some paper or a little bit of plastic into the box. It's the cost of the storage on the cartridge. Throwing together a two or three gig cartridge isn't as expensive as something that's more like 40 or 50 gig.

It seemed like this at the beginning of the DS life cycle too. The main difference is that back then we would just see a more expensive game instead of digital. Now they're trying to make sure the prices the same across multiple platforms without the cost of the cartridge adding to it.

Listen, I'm not in the corner of developers but we have to be reasonable about all this.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
The people that say that they will not get it because of this, would have preferred to pay 10 bucks more than the rest of the community?

genuinely asking

In my case, totally yes. I know my tastes are in the inverse direction of where industry is heading, but I think there is still enough public out there to offer other options (especially on Switch).

They are releasing two editions, if cart cost is the problem here they could sell the standard this way, but IMO they could actually offer another possibility by making the deluxe 50, but with everything on cart.

In a case like that, maybe they're afraid of not understanding demand, overshipping. So, this is Bethesda, if a company of 3-4 people like LimitedRunGames can manage to print the exact number of copies that people want… Couldn't really these big publishers try to do something similar? Well, they could even rely on LRG for this!

I would have bought L.A. Noire, Wolfenstein, Starlink… should a possibility like this had existed.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
But why? I thought they hate retail.
I'm guessing the physical edition is just marketing? Maybe a way for someone browsing the game section of a store to see it and know the game exists? I dunno, just trying to understand this move.
Browsing retail shelves might still be a sizeable part of how regular people get informed on upcoming games?
If you don't collect boxes it becomes more a question of where to buy it than physical/digital.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with this practice at all! Such a needless waste of plastic which will just get discarded and end up as junk in the ocean (over estimation perhaps).

If you're not going to provide a cart it should remain digital only.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Well fuck that then.
And here I thought it was nice from Bethesda. I guess it should drop in price quickly at least.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
But is it the same for the Deluxe Edition in Europe ?
There doesn't even seem to be any physical release in Europe at all. Despite what their FAQ makes it sound like. Their customer support twitter was entirely useless with a "yes the game is coming to Switch!" non-response.

Their own website has automated preorder links with drop down menus and there is literally nothing on Switch for Europe/Australia. So get ready for their hazy website wording to be a total bust and the game not hitting retail in any form in PAL land. Capcom style.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There doesn't even seem to be any physical release in Europe at all. Despite what their FAQ makes it sound like. Their customer support twitter was entirely useless with a "yes the game is coming to Switch!" non-response.

Their own website has automated preorder links with drop down menus and there is literally nothing on Switch for Europe/Australia. So get ready for their hazy website wording to be a total bust and the game not hitting retail in any form in PAL land. Capcom style.

There's a physical release for the deluxe edition, not the standard one. You can already preorder it. Same for all platforms.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There's a physical release for the deluxe edition, not the standard one. You can already preorder it. Same for all platforms.
Not on their own website. Hence my post. I assumed they would have to know what's happening with their own release. They offer no preorder links for EU on Switch at all. After your post I manually checked amazon and they curiously do list it. It's all fishy as hell.

https://www.amazon.de/Wolfenstein-Youngblood-Deluxe-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07NSL1968/

and there we go ..."Code in a box" as well

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
For people who want to spend their cash rather than using a debit/credit card?

People need to see past their own uses. I never buy physical but I can see why people would even if it's just a download code.

At Target I see at least 20 giftcards for specific games. They hang above the boxed releases. There are better ways to sell a download code than producing a plastic case.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
So in the future if you see a low priced physical Switch game it's probably the box doesn't contain a physical cartridge but a digital game.
Gotcha.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. I'm hesitant to buy anything digital for the Switch because Nintendo is likely going to shut down the Switch and Wii U stores at some point, cutting off all access to peoples' libraries.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I'm hesitant to buy anything digital for the Switch because Nintendo is likely going to shut down the Switch and Wii U stores at some point, cutting off all access to peoples' libraries.

...what ? How is this specific to Nintendo services ? And you would still have your digital library even in a hundred years after they've shut down the store.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Good news to me, I have no interest in physical carts and if it means I can get the code cheaper I'm all for it.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm not this thing again.

Look I understand some people want a box n a shelf and those that do should be directed to a website that sells them just that.

Either sell it on cardboard or eshop only & if you really want to, then you apply for box online, they know what they are doing.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
This is confusing.

Bethesda hasnt done this before, there are no download label on the packaging either?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
...what ? How is this specific to Nintendo services ? And you would still have your digital library even in a hundred years after they've shut down the store.

No, at some point down the road, you will no longer be able to redownload games you bought digitally for the Wii. You can bet it'll happen again.

When will all Wii Shop Channel services (including the ability to re-download) be terminated?

Users were able to add Wii Points until March 26, 2018, and were able to purchase content on the Wii Shop Channel until January 30, 2019. In the future we will close all services related to the Wii Shop Channel, including the ability to redownload WiiWare and Virtual Console games, as well as the Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from Wii to the Wii U system. We will announce specific details as that time approaches.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27560/~/wii-shop-channel-discontinuation-(updated-26mar18)

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Sure, but since 90% of Switch games require some sort of download to even play, I'm incredibly hesitant to spend a lot of money on games for the system.

90%? Source?

I own 50+ physical games all of them could be played offline out of the box. Some got better with updates (Zelda, ARMs, XB2) but all were playable and completable from day 1.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
90%? Source?

I own 50+ physical games all of them could be played offline out of the box. Some got better with updates (Zelda, ARMs, XB2) but all were playable and completable from day 1.

Yeah, I obviously pulled that number out of my ass, but it sure seems like more and more games are heading in this direction.

It's a shame, too, because I think digital is the way to go with something like the Switch as it makes things so much more convenient.

Redownload yes, just like any other digital service in the world, but you'll still have access to your library once downloaded.

jfc, by "access to your library" I obviously meant being able to access and redownload them whenever you want. I'm not worried about my PS3/360 games disappearing, and those aren't any older than the Wii's.