• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oct 30, 2017
yeah, even first parties occasionally do it.
- mario vs donkey kong tipping stars was just a download code in a box, for both 3ds and wii u versions
- MLB 15 on vita was a download code in a box
- cuphead physical copies for xbo are just a download code, but i think that one is getting a proper physical release once the dlc is out.
minecraft vita was just a code in a box too.

first i remember it happening was patapon 2 on PSP.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Sure, but since 90% of Switch games require some sort of download to even play, I'm incredibly hesitant to spend a lot of money on games for the system.
Also like on any other system. When do you get to put a disc in and just play without at least a day one patch or pretty much redownloading most of the game.

This really isn't any more special on Switch than anywhere else.

All of them. Literally. Like I said.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Also like on any other system. When do you get to put a disc in and just play without at least a day one patch or pretty much redownloading most of the game.

Nintendo's set a precedent by announcing they're actually doing it with one of their services. That's the difference.

I mostly stick to PC - trust me, I get the irony of that - but it's because I'm not really afraid of losing access to my Steam/GOG/Origin/Uplay libraries anytime soon. I'd say Sony is probably the company most likely to remove access to games from its services next, but I think they might try to emulate what MS is doing with their backcompat strategy with the PS5. MS is the one console manufacturer I currently have the least hesitation with because they've made it a priority to not only keep older games online, but make many of them playable on current hardware.

I'm honestly baffled by a few things Nintendo's done, to be honest. For example, why is there no Virtual Console-like service on the Switch (I mean a traditional a la carte store, not something tied to a subscription)? The VC concept makes way more sense on the Switch than the Wii - emulators are one of the primary appeals of homebrewing a Switch - yet they seemingly don't see the potential for such a market.

But they're bound to the exact same rules as anything on a digital service. Once Sony will stop supporting the PSN on PS3, you also won't be able to redownload your games.

Right, unless those games are making money. Like I said, with MS's approach to backward compatibility, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try the same thing. If they do, they'll actually have an incentive to keep those games up for download, and won't just be doing it to keep fans happy.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, unless those games are making money. Like I said, with MS's approach to backward compatibility, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try the same thing. If they do, they'll actually have an incentive to keep those games up for download, and won't just be doing it to keep fans happy.

That's all very hypothetical tho, and could apply to the Switch as well.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Question for physical copy enthusiasts:

How is this worse than paying more for a physical cartridge that requires a large download to be playable?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
That's all very hypothetical tho, and could apply to the Switch as well.

You're absolutely right. But I don't think it's too far-fetched. I hope Nintendo does something similar, but it's gonna be pretty shitty if they do it and end up making you re-buy all the Wii games you already owned.

How is this worse than paying more for a physical cartridge that requires a large download to be playable?

Having some of the data on a cart can make the download smaller, which can help people who have slower internet connections or data caps.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Well if you throw out such a blatant and uninformed lie, it's hard to take the rest seriously. Sadly.

Well, I should've said "it seems like 90%" because it sure does seem that way. I know a lot of the games I'm interested in seem to require some sort of download, which has kept me from buying many Switch games.

krg

Oct 27, 2017

both SUCK imo.. there's no justifying. I would NEVER ever buy a game on the Switch that is "partially" there, so you either provide the full product or gtfo.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Day one patches are usually not required for offline play. The only game i can think of that require it is CoD World War 2.

Not like thered tons of retail Switch games that require a download to work though.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Well that's a skip then.
After many MicroSD problems on switch only I prefer cartridge.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Disc drives are not.

Component blu-ray transports in the quantity that console makers contract is pretty crazy cheap compared to other components in the system.

The push to digital is about squeezing out the markups that distribution and retail is making on physical; the platform will get way more profitable, the consumer will still pay $60 and they won't even own the games.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think this is true

it is.

It's difficult to get an exact figure due to the super-aggressive temporal anti-aliasing but we've commonly observed results in the 1088x612 range while connected to an HDTV. In select scenes, the resolution does jump up, but typically only when nothing is happening. Beyond that, the depth of field buffer and alpha effects all appear to be rendered at quarter resolution, which can give a 360p-like presentation in some respects. This is topped off with Doom's excellent temporal aliasing, only in this case, the resolution is so low that the TAA ultimately results in a very blurry-looking game. The presentation holds up on the Switch's six-inch tablet-style screen - though resolution drops to around 576p here - but blow it up on your HDTV and it starts to break down into a soupy mess.

Our earlier PC testing was carried out at low settings at 540p, but while the Switch game ups the resolution, quality settings are actually lower than they can be pushed on the original version. It's comparable at a glance, but texture quality is pared back further and those low-res alpha and depth of field effects clearly stick out.

not to take anything away from panic button's work — quite the opposite.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So beatemups in a gaming news roundup while talking about this let it drop that based on conversations he's had with people at Limited Run and Super Rare Games Switch carts may cost ~$25 for the base size and ~$40 per cart for the largest capacity which IIRC is the 32GB unless they stealth dropped 64GB carts when I wasn't paying attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfF_haBckE8

Worth noting he seemed a little confused on the capacities but that could explain a lot if they are that much vs a <$1 Blu-ray

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah....like all physical media games/movies.

So why are we not 100% digital?

Is it just a waste of plastic because in this case it doesn't come with wasted plastic on a cartridge but a game code?

I mean, yeah?!

A physical package for a digital game is absolutely useless. Unless for retail presence, as someone who quoted me mentionned.

Your initial point about all games/movie is ridiculous though, but nice try to use my post as a lever for that. Just pointing that out. :lol

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...what's the point of the physical box if there's no cartridge? I'm not planning to get this for Switch or anything, but I don't see the point of the physical option for Switch then. Might as well put out a statement saying that the Switch version is digital only. I think that would be a better way to handle it than letting unsuspecting people buy a case, expecting to get a physical cartridge, and only get a code that they could've just stayed home and bought without wasting gas or time.

Edit: Or in worse case scenarios, get home and realize it's a digital code, and they have shitty or no Internet at all. Would it even be able to be returned then if it's a digital code?