• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...what's the point of the physical box if there's no cartridge? I'm not planning to get this for Switch or anything, but I don't see the point of the physical option for Switch then. Might as well put out a statement saying that the Switch version is digital only. I think that would be a better way to handle it than letting unsuspecting people buy a case, expecting to get a physical cartridge, and only get a code that they could've just stayed home and bought without wasting gas or time.

Edit: Or in worse case scenarios, get home and realize it's a digital code, and they have shitty or no Internet at all. Would it even be able to be returned then if it's a digital code?
It's done for visibility. A retail presence helps a great deal for exposure.

And I'd have to assume there would be a notice on the box. They do it for when partial downloads are required.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeeeaaah when we're starting to use paper straws everywhere this just seems wrong.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I mean, yeah?!

A physical package for a digital game is absolutely useless. Unless for retail presence, as someone who quoted me mentionned.

Your initial point about all games/movie is ridiculous though, but nice try to use my post as a lever for that. Just pointing that out. :lol

It's just as silly comment. Waste of plastic for a game for a digital code....yet all physical media is essentially a waste of plastic when you can just get it digitally.

It's just a weird hill to die on.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
If its just a downloadable code...i'll likely just pick up the digital version off eshop rather than the no-cart box.

For me it would change from a 80/20 chance of Switch over PC version to around 60/40 though...
but the portability is too much for me. I beat Wolfenstein 2 on Switch (90%+ portable) even though I had my steam copy there for me to beat for like ever.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just as silly comment. Waste of plastic for a game for a digital code....yet all physical media is essentially a waste of plastic when you can just get it digitally.

It's just a weird hill to die on.

You do you man, I still have my physical games from before the 90's and still have full ownership of those, I can rip those and put them on my PC, phone, raspberry pi and any platform that can run an emulator whenever I want. Waste of plastic? I don't think so.

Though your investment in temporary video game licenses is a waste of money, as you have no control on any of your games and they'll be ripped off your hands once the platform enabling the download dies, why even bother?

See? I can go hyperbole to prove a point too!

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You do you man, I still have my physical games from before the 90's and still have full ownership of those, I can rip those and put them on my PC, phone, raspberry pi and any platform that can run an emulator whenever I want. Waste of plastic? I don't think so.

Though your investment in temporary video game licenses is a waste of money, as you have no control on any of your games and they'll be ripped off your hands once the platform enabling the download dies, why even bother?

See? I can go hyperbole to prove a point too!

Cool - except console games from the 90s rarely had any updates are were essentially complete games. unless they released an updated/bug fix version later and you would be SOL. Nowadays you get a beta copy in a case and have to do multiple updates to get a proper, working game with all 'content'. That's just the norm. If you want a bunch of cases with unfinished games inside thats good for you.

Unlike you, I download all my games so I don't know how they will just disappear. Will Nintendo send a kill switch to my console and remove them in 2025? Sure, maybe. But what's more likely to happen is you having a fire/flood/natural disaster/theft.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

How is it not close to 100%? Aside from maybe a few cases here and there nearly every game receives some sort of update. Maaaaaybe some of the smaller publishers like Nicalis who don't release a physical form until months/years after a digital release might get a game that has never had an update (since it's already received many and its now at its final form) , but I can';t imagine it happens frequently.

MoneyBee

Nov 16, 2017
How is it not close to 100%? Aside from maybe a few cases here and there nearly every game receives some sort of update. Maaaaaybe some of the smaller publishers like Nicalis who don't release a physical form until months/years after a digital release might get a game that has never had an update (since it's already received many and its now at its final form) , but I can';t imagine it happens frequently.
Nowhere close to 100%

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I would assume for people who want a case or maybe there are special editions with physical goods?

But it's still a waste of plastic/paper...just like one that has a download code voucher instead of a cart.

Just weird to see people complain about Wolfenstein being a waste of plastic but still buy physical.

"I would never eat chicken, but give me that chicken nuggets!"

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool - except console games from the 90s rarely had any updates are were essentially complete games. unless they released an updated/bug fix version later and you would be SOL. Nowadays you get a beta copy in a case and have to do multiple updates to get a proper, working game with all 'content'. That's just the norm. If you want a bunch of cases with unfinished games inside thats good for you.

Unlike you, I download all my games so I don't know how they will just disappear. Will Nintendo send a kill switch to my console and remove them in 2025? Sure, maybe. But what's more likely to happen is you having a fire/flood/natural disaster/theft.

Did you buy any games on the Wii's Shop by any chance? Hope your console won't fail, because once that happen, no more chance to download your previously bought titles. Unlike a fire or any kind of disaster that could hit me, many of those games can't he replaced and/or repurchased by any insurance companies because they were exclusive titles to the platform.

99%?

I mean, name 5 releases that have NEVER received any type of update/bug fix in a 2019 release on Xbox/PS4/Switch that received a physical release. (which has been out for at least month)

Now you're just being disingenuous. A lot more games than you think released in perfectly playable state and are future proof.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Did you buy any games on the Wii's Shop by any chance? Hope your console won't fail, because once that happen, no more chance to download your previously bought titles. Unlike a fire or any kind of disaster that could hit me, many of those games can't he replaced and/or repurchased by any insurance companies because they were exclusive titles to the platform.

Yes, I did buy a Wii and even paid the fee to upgrade most of those for the Wii U.

If for whatever reason my Wii fails...oh well? I'll lose out of maybe $200 of digital games I either have on my Wii U or on my 3DS/Switch.

I guess thats the only really thing you can complain about though, right? Will Nintendo send you new discs if you lose yours to flood/fire/theft?

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Does Switch have preload? Because if it does unless you just want plastic there is 0 point to this version.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I am so tired of this shit from big publishers on the Switch. I'm sorry, but fuck off with this cheap ass shit. It's ALWAYS the big publishers that do this crap too. Capcom, Bethesda, 2K, etc...They're the only who cheap out on these Switch games.

Yet, oh hey, look at Limited Run Games, or Nicalis...smaller publishers relative to these other ones, and their games are always nicely packaged, and even include some manuals and other goodies inside the box. Bethesda can't even be bothered to put the fucking game in the box.
This is Nintendo's fault. Nintendo should be 100% subsidizing carts for publishers or paying directly for the cards. If the carts are too costly for devs to want to use them, it's Nintendo's job to fix that problem or risk pissing of publishers and fans alike.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
There's only so much memory on a Switch, even with a decent SD Card. I'm not sure if I'm going to pick Youngblood up if there's no way around it taking up precious space.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I actually find this an interesting compromise. I like having physical copies, but that mostly ends up being something to look at on the shelf. This is a way to scratch that itch while preventing the games price from going up on just one platform.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yes, I did buy a Wii and even paid the fee to upgrade most of those for the Wii U.

If for whatever reason my Wii fails...oh well? I'll lose out of maybe $200 of digital games I either have on my Wii U or on my 3DS/Switch.

I guess thats the only really thing you can complain about though, right? Will Nintendo send you new discs if you lose yours to flood/fire/theft?
Well that's kind of the point. You say $200. But I'm sure people have spent 1000s on digital titles. It would suck to lose all those because your console died. At least insurance will cover the physical goods. Even if they can't be replaced.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Well that's kind of the point. You say $200. But I'm sure people have spent 1000s on digital titles. It would suck to lose all those because your console died. At least insurance will cover the physical goods. Even if they can't be replaced.

Wii didn't really have much of a digital shop except for Virtual console releases. I don't think any retail games were released on it. But yeah, it totally sucks, but Nintendo gave a year-long advance notice + a small price to upgrade to Wii U.

Insurance would only cover your destroyed/lost games if you have insurance....not everyone does. And just because it does it may not be at face value. If my Switch/Xbox/3DS goes away I can re-download everything.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My collecton is insured of course. Not insuring would be insanity.

If I lose everything I'll be paid most of it back, even though it won't be in games, the investment will return. A digital game is money spent and gone, unless you sell your entire account which is more often than not prohibited by the platform holder.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
My collecton is insured of course. Not insuring would be insanity.

If I lose everything I'll be paid most of it back, even though it won't be in games, the investment will return. A digital game is money spent and gone, unless you sell your entire account which is more often than not prohibited by the platform holder.

Well you don't know unless you file a claim. You paid $60 for Breath of the Wild, you think you will get that amount back 100%? Will they pay you $200 for a CiB Earthbound? What proof that you even have it? You take daily pictures? Totally serious question as I'm curious how they determine it. I'd love for my 2,000 Blu-rays DVDs to be ruined and to get MSRP for each one...right?

A digital game is 100% mine. I will get that back in 100% fro Switch/Wii U/Steam etc. I don't need to file a claim since its digital and I can re-download for free. Even if said game is pulled from the digital storefront its either already downloaded or still available if I "own" it.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well you don't know unless you file a claim. You paid $60 for Breath of the Wild, you think you will get that amount back 100%? Will they pay you $200 for a CiB Earthbound? What proof that you even have it? You take daily pictures? Totally serious question as I'm curious how they determine it. I'd love for my 2,000 Blu-rays DVDs to be ruined and to get MSRP for each one...right?

A digital game is 100% mine. I will get that back in 100% fro Switch/Wii U/Steam etc. I don't need to file a claim since its digital and I can re-download for free. Even if said game is pulled from the digital storefront its either already downloaded or still available if I "own" it.

Each year when I need to renew my insurance I provide an updated listing, photos of each of the affected shelves. The total amount isn't based on a per game basis but more of an estimate of what everything's worth, minus something like 1-2K to not over evaluate. The value of the newer games devaluating is more often than not balanced by the value of the older ones rising.

In the unfortunate case where something would happen that results in me losing absolutely everything I possess, yes, the amount I insure my collection for would most likely be reimbursed because I pay an extra especially for this, since a video game collection is a particular case.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't people here love buying games physically so it can look good on their extensive game library shelf? You have a thing in a shelf and you don't have to switch cartridges. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
But nearly every game released on cart/disc for Switch/XB/PS4 requires a Day 1 update. So do those people just continue playing (or not playing?) an unfinished game?

I don't know about XB and PS4 but nearly every physical Switch game is released in a completable form (You can beat the game without installing an update) and most games don't even have optional day 1 patches. Those that DO have large required downloads (Wolf 2, LA Noir) indicate this on the packaging. [And I skip them]

That is not to say games don't get updates, they do but, some of them significant (30% of the ARMs characters were added later). Zelda and XB2 received graphical and framerate upgrades post launch. But many people played Xenoblade 2 and Zelda to completion before the first patch.

I have 50+ physical Switch games and not a single one of them has a required day 1 patch. I know this because I always try my games without the updates first. They have all played fine.

So I really don't get where this "nearly every" idea is coming from.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018

But does console dying really happens that much? Is there anyone who really lost their entire Switch library because of console dying?
I have never experienced console dying. My born-in-2005 Gamecube still works like healthy 20s of his own. GC's memory card isn't corrupted too. Every other console, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, and relatable storage device didn't fail me. And I don't remember one single person on the internet who experienced that (excluding one's own fault like dropping from the height). Of course, there must be a few. But there always are people who get struck by lightning or.. etc..
So my point is, it is something like unimportant worry like 'what if I experience car accident? Oh my god. I shouldn't ride car.'
I'm not trying taunt, but I think you guys are worrying about a really unprobable situation. Physical copy could also experience those unprobable situation. But digital thing is always more suffered by those worry.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
The good part is that you get to benefit from having box artwork on your shelf and a copy of the game always in your system without ever having to swap out.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Don't people here love buying games physically so it can look good on their extensive game library shelf? You have a thing in a shelf and you don't have to switch cartridges. Sounds like a win-win to me.

A pretty box os a nice bonus, but I collect physical for preservation, ability to lend the game to my friends, and the right of resale. This release removes all of those things.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even gonna be mad about this because the Switch getting this game day-and-date was already a long shot and the game isn't even full price. $30 is a great price. I'll have to buy an SD card but I don't see it as Bethesda being unreasonable. Nintendo went with a physical format that is very expensive and this is a cheap game.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
To the people here wondering why anyone cares, it's because a lot of people, especially on Era, still don't trust console manufacturers with their digital licenses.

On PC it's a little looser since many games are DRM, and it's not like DRM is unbreakable in the event something happens. But on consoles Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo basically hold all the cards when you buy a digital game. I have PC games from 20 years ago that I can still install on my current computers. I even have iPhone apps from 10 years ago I can still play on my current iPhone. I have basically all my physical console games from the 90's, but who the hell knows if those servers are still gonna be up in another 20 years.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
That's actually innacurate, and it can be seen very easily by comparing things like draw distance, volumetric lights and fog between Switch, PS4 and PC on lowest setting, on the pics from Digital Foundry's own article.

i haven't compared side-by-side myself, so i'll take your word for it, but i do have the game and i stand by the point that there is nowhere near enough leeway to get to 60fps by turning down the settings. i think it's already about as good as it possibly could be while remaining recognisably doom.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I don't know about XB and PS4 but nearly every physical Switch game is released in a completable form (You can beat the game without installing an update) and most games don't even have optional day 1 patches. Those that DO have large required downloads (Wolf 2, LA Noir) indicate this on the packaging. [And I skip them]

That is not to say games don't get updates, they do but, some of them significant (30% of the ARMs characters were added later). Zelda and XB2 received graphical and framerate upgrades post launch. But many people played Xenoblade 2 and Zelda to completion before the first patch.

I have 50+ physical Switch games and not a single one of them has a required day 1 patch. I know this because I always try my games without the updates first. They have all played fine.

So I really don't get where this "nearly every" idea is coming from.

But all have updates meaning the cartridge form is NOT the final version. It's for all intents and purposes an unfinished game.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Aren't you tired of saying this bullshit?

LMAO

100% you say? Sell me one of your digital games.

No, because all games require a Day 1 update. Its either bug fixes, enabling online or adding new things. What you get in the case is NOT the final form - thats the point.

And why would I sell you my digital games? I bought them. I can't sell you my time I used to watch a movie at the theater. I can't sell you my already eaten Hamburger. This is such a weird, stop-gap generation. So many of these physical collectors are either going to have to go digital or only play old games in the near future.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

I always wondered it as well. I think they just like to look at it and feel great about all these things they own? Kids these days won't have that 'feeling' as they already consume movies/TV/Games digitally. My son really has no clue what a CD/DVD is except that his grandma puts them in her car and it only plays the same type of music from the same artist - not like Pandora or Apple Music where we just say what we want and it plays.

Honestly, there will be meltdowns when MS announces their digital only console next month. Like, I fully expect people to try and boycott MS for being ahead of the game.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I always wondered it as well. I think they just like to look at it and feel great about all these things they own? Kids these days won't have that 'feeling' as they already consume movies/TV/Games digitally. My son really has no clue what a CD/DVD is except that his grandma puts them in her car and it only plays the same type of music from the same artist - not like Pandora or Apple Music where we just say what we want and it plays.

Honestly, there will be meltdowns when MS announces their digital only console next month. Like, I fully expect people to try and boycott MS for being ahead of the game.

Well, I have been eyeing Linux for a while.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Kinda makes sense if the game is very large and they have to pay like $20-30 per cartridge from Nintendo and then the game retails for not much more. But yeah.... At that point why bother offering a physical cart at all? Or just do a more expensive collector's edition with a physical cart seeing as physical sales for Wolfenstein on Switch were already pretty low.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'll grab the physical box, I've gotten a good amount of enjoyment seeing my switch collection build up even if I don't formally collect games and have a shit ton digitally. That said, I don't really care that it's not in the box at this point. Just a one off. If all switch games came this way I'd start caring.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

Its great for companies that there are so many people to pay the same money for a thing that is cheaper and that can not be sold and borrowed. I have a lot of digital games but all bought in promotions and for less than 20$. To me doesn't make sense buy digital games day one.

I think it will be fun trying to find a MS digital only console on stores..

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Its great for companies that there are so many people to pay the same money for a thing that is cheaper and that can not be sold and borrowed. I have a lot of digital games but all bought in promotions and for less than 20$. To me doesn't make sense buy digital games day one.

I think it will be fun trying to find a MS digital only console on stores..

Plenty of digital games are sold at a lower price compared to physical - just not a day one. Buying physical just screws over the devs as they make less money if you trade/sell/loan your game...but thats OK?

Of course, there will always be the people willing to pay $40 (a year later when it eventually gets released) for a $10 eShop game just because it comes in a box with a sticker.

MS will sell the console like gang-busters so yeah, might be hard to find on the shelf.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Plenty of digital games are sold at a lower price compared to physical - just not a day one. Buying physical just screws over the devs as they make less money if you trade/sell/loan your game...but thats OK?

Of course, there will always be the people willing to pay $40 (a year later when it eventually gets released) for a $10 eShop game just because it comes in a box with a sticker.

MS will sell the console like gang-busters so yeah, might be hard to find on the shelf.

Of course its okay, as costumer Its my goal to spend the less I can. If the day one digital games cost less (and not more) I would consider buying them, as I bought many digital games that were much cheaper than physical.

I think you understood that the stores will boycott the Digital only Xbox.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Of course its okay, as costumer Its my goal to spend the less I can. If the day one digital games cost less (and not more) I would consider buying them, as I bought many digital games that were much cheaper than physical.

I think you understood that the stores will boycott the Digital only Xbox.

Stores will not boycott the digital only Xbox.