• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Since Sony is about to have a major press conference in a few hours, i feel like now is a good time to discuss your favorite false gaming rumours.

My personal favorite has to be that hilariously terrible "Gears of War is coming to PS4!" mockup.
bfKiRXW.jpg

It was confirmed fake fairly quickly, but what makes it particularly amusing is that a few months later, Microsoft bought the rights to Gears.of War. Ensuring the franchise will never come to a non-Microsoft console in the foreseeable future.

Also good is the person that tried to make a fake Dark Souls IV leak....
NwtXclv.jpg

...and used the wrong roman numerals.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Triforce in OoT
Mew under the truck in Pokemon R/B

Those are the 2 that spring instantly to mind, unless you're talking about release rumours.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
During the hype cycle leading up to WoD, someone attempted to file a fake trademark under Blizzard's name in (I think) Europe, titled "Corgis Unleashed". While most people knew it was obviously unrelated to WoW if real, and wasn't real anyways, there was still some enjoyable speculation for laughs.

Zeus

Oct 27, 2017
I will always remember to the old Smash Melee hoax that Sonic and Tails were unlockable characters via defeating 20 enemies in Cruel Melee in one attempt ( a very harsh task). Namely because I fell for it and was very disgruntled about it for a while. Bonus points because it was in an actual magazine (EGM i believe).
I'd like to think it added just that little bit more hype when Sonic actually showed up in Brawl all those years later!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

I thought this was crap the moment I saw this. I can't believe people actually liked/believe this complete nonsense.

Never would Nintendo even entertain something so stupid/nonsensical.

Just look at Mario, he looks like shit!

#triggered

ps. I speak in relative terms. I know one guy did this so it's a good job, but the animation and modeling has a really gross style to it that screams amateur

pps. I admit the part with the Mario 64 Bowser track is great

Shortiloe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got no Image, but I guess most of you are familiar with Nintendomination? That guy postet a lot of fake rumors on Twitter back in the day.. phew.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
I don't have the images, but unlocking characters that weren't actually in Smash Brothers 64 was a solid meme before image macros. In particular, that one cheesy shot of unlocking someone, Sonic I think, from an issue of a EGM around April spurred on unrelenting fervor among my friend group, haha. Oh, the irony.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
The WiiU screen was going to have haptic feedback for the longest time. I remember like 20 different YouTube videos talking about how you'd be able to "feel Epona's mane"

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
The Nintendo 64DD. Seeing the gullibility of gaming magazines who thought it existed was a laugh, rumored sightings in Japan my ass.

64DD_with_Nintendo64.png

Pictured is an artist's render based upon the description, what kind of sick freak would think about creating such a thing besides Sega.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017

halcy

Oct 30, 2017
1.0.jpg

301px-Neptune.jpg

While these two existed they are rumors of promised things. Snes never did get the cd addon and the aftermath of nintendo vs sony is still felt today. As for the neptune this is what should of come out to give the 32x more games and a longer life, as such saturn would of not rushed out might of been changed to be easer to make games on, maybe causing sega to still be making consoles. IDK I am sega fan lol :P

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Most recently, Pokémon Stars.

People were so convinced that "Stars" was a forgone conclusion and would be a Switch game that the thought of it being false was basically never discussed. When Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were revealed, people's brains collapsed because they couldn't believe that the Stars rumor wasn't true.

People were so convinced of a story they themselves made up and it was bonkers. I wa sold on it too. I talked for dozens of posts how obvious it was and how many clear indications were present in the games and their marketing. There was no way all these elements could add up to anything other than Pokémon Stars.

Needless to say, Pokémon Stars did not exist and we all looked extremely stupid.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People were so convinced that "Stars" was a forgone conclusion and would be a Switch game that the thought of it being false was basically never discussed. When Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were revealed, people's brains collapsed because they couldn't believe that the Stars rumor wasn't true.

People were so convinced of a story they themselves made up and it was bonkers. I wa sold on it too. I talked for dozens of posts how obvious it was and how many clear indications were present in the games and their marketing. There was no way all these elements could add up to anything other than Pokémon Stars.

Needless to say, Pokémon Stars did not exist and we all looked extremely stupid.
Laura Kate Dale strikes again.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yep. I believed wholeheartedly in Stars and ate my crow over it. It seemed so obvious, so logical... and so unlike Game Freak, who aren't early adopters of new systems... Probably should have thought a bit harder about that.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean, this is a rumor in a game and not for a game... fucking Cheese Weapon and Rainbow Chocobos in Final Fantasy VII :lol

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
The oval NX controller takes the cake for me

Remember how people were so starved for information they were trying to guess which studio this was taken from by comparing the reflection of the tree in google street view...

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nintendo 64DD. Seeing the gullibility of gaming magazines who thought it existed was a laugh, rumored sightings in Japan my ass.

64DD_with_Nintendo64.png

Pictured is an artist's render based upon the description, what kind of sick freak would think about creating such a thing besides Sega.

What? This isn't real? No way. Is there not actual photos of this? Some people own them?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Laura Kate Dale strikes again.

I don't even blame her! All the Press gave us was the name "Stars" - the rest we ran with. The hysteria of confirmation bias was so strong. I remember when a piece of merch came out that had Pikachu looking through a telescope at constellations and we were like "Well, that settles it. No way it's not real after this." And this kind of thing was so prevalent. It's ridiculous in hindsight because, even separate from the Eurogamer and supposed Press scoops, every little detail was used as evidence of a game that didn't exist.

Yep. I believed wholeheartedly in Stars and ate my crow over it. It seemed so obvious, so logical... and so unlike Game Freak, who aren't early adopters of new systems... Probably should have thought a bit harder about that.

Whenever I think about our self-assuredness at that time, I am blown away by how little skepticism we collectively demonstrated.