• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR gamers need to rise up. Stop the persecution before it gets out of hand.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
valid criticism of the game is of course appropriate

but its when people go

"its just the honeymoon phase" or "critics are starting to see the truth that its not a great game" or "sales don't mean quality" despite the fact that it won 130 GOTY awards, way passed the so called honeymoon phase. It's the idea that we,fans, don't see the "truth"
Thanks for the clarification. Don't disagree.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
BAFTAs have plenty of surprise or less-than-popular winners too. I am a bit surprised that RDR2 didn't win something, and that GOW won the top, when there have been other non-conventional Best Game winners in the past.

Yeah, The Witcher III won none of its nominations back for 2015 from BAFTA. I'd say God of War was one of the more conventional wins its handed over for sure.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
i mean you can't tell me that there might be a kernel of truth to that
I will stand here and say you have don't know what the hell your are doing. Go into Days Gone thread and tell me about this Sony bias. On this forum, game with better gameplay will be championed 9 times out of 10. When that is paired with decent story and over all production people will champion it even harder. That is what is happening with God of War. Don't try to make this about anything else.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I will stand here and say you have don't know what the hell your are doing. Go into Days Gone thread and tell me about this Sony bias. On this forum, game with better gameplay will be championed 9 times out of 10. When that is paired with decent story and over all production people will champion it even harder. That is what is happening here. Don't try to make this about anything else.
your right, I mispoke there...I apologize

still the criticsm of RDR 2, where i have a problem with is that many people view the game as a masterpiece and many people have a problem with people recognizing it as one

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If you haven't noticed Sony doesn't rush games. That is kinda their philosophy now.
That was the strat for the PS4, yeah, but maybe they want to avoid another situation where for the first 2 years there's barely anything worthwhile exclusive-wise, especially with Xbox having so many studios working on next gen right now. Still, Horizon 2 should release first so the first year is covered at the very least.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead should have won.

The gameplay and mission design is dated as all hell. Heck, you could trace that misson DNA all the way back to GTA 3. Go here, press A, escape in a shootout. Repeat. It was shocking to find out how little RockStar has progressed on this front. It's was very much a 2018 game trapped in a 2005 body.

So, the reason it should have won? It's story, I have a cold dead heart, and I was moved. Arthur Morgan is the best Video Game protagonist of all time.

History will be kind to Red Dead.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
your right, I mispoke there...I apologize

still the criticsm of RDR 2, where i have a problem with is that many people view the game as a masterpiece and many people have a problem with people recognizing it as one
That's just standard and true the other way. Some people usually get upset when other people disagree with them on what's good/bad and default to hyperbole. I consider RDR2 a masterpiece and probably the most technically impressive game so far, I even like the combat (after you get full bullet time), but it has significant control issues, any game that big, with flaws that big will have a very mixed reception, especially on places like here.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019

The gameplay and mission design is dated as all hell. Heck, you could trace that misson DNA all the way back to GTA 3. Go here, press A, escape in a shootout. Repeat. It was shocking to find out how little RockStar has progressed on this front. It's was very much a 2018 game trapped in a 2005 body.

So, the reason it should have won? It's story, I have a cold dead heart, and I was moved. Arthur Morgan is the best Video Game protagonist of all time.

Arthur Morgan is arguably the greatest protagonist of this gen and one of the greatest of all time
Even if you didn't like RDR 2 you cannot deny that Arthur was a brilliant character

images

Oct 25, 2017

I couldn't care less about a story if the gameplay is subpar. Especially a long game.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter to me which out of the two forerunners won, they were both amazing games. Been a good year chaps! A good harvest

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That was the strat for the PS4, yeah, but maybe they want to avoid another situation where for the first 2 years there's barely anything worthwhile exclusive-wise, especially with Xbox having so many studios working on next gen right now. Still, Horizon 2 should release first so the first year is covered at the very least.
It's usually the cost of ending gens so strong, I'd rather they end strong, than start strong personally, PS5 hype and 3rd parties can get them through the first 2 years.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Well, is not that there wasn't any games, you just didn't have goty tier games released, but in first year you had Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Son.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Arthur is cool, but the stop pretending he was the first character with depth in the medium.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
That's just standard and true the other way. Some people usually get upset when other people disagree with them on what's good/bad and default to hyperbole. I consider RDR2 a masterpiece and probably the most technically impressive game so far, I even like the combat (after you get full bullet time), but it has significant control issues, any game that big, with flaws that big will have a very mixed reception, especially on places like here.
I'm not a full on apologist for Rockstar, in fact i have actually viewed their gameplay mechanics/shooting as mediocre which is why Max Payne 3 always seemed like a fluke to me that it arguably one if not the greatest 3rd person shooter and yet their other games revert back to poor shooting

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
All the winners, if someone needs a list.

ORIGINAL PROPERTY - Into the Breach
MUSIC - God of War
GAME DESIGN - Return of the Obra Dinn
EVOLVING GAME - Fortnite
NARRATIVE - God of War
DEBUT GAME - Yoku's Island Express
MOBILE GAME - Florence
FAMILY GAME - Nintendo Labo
EE MOBILE GAME OF THE YEAR - Old School Runescape
ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT - Return of the Obra Dinn
MULTIPLAYER - A Way Out
AUDIO ACHIEVEMENT - God of War
GAME INNOVATION - Nintendo Labo
PERFORMER - Jeremy Davies (Stranger - God of War)
BRITISH GAME - Forza Horizon 4
GAME BEYOND ENTERTAINMENT - My Child Lebensborn
BEST GAME - God of War

Thanks for this.

Great to see God of "Dangerous" War win so much. Well deserved

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Can someone help me understand how FH4 wins best British game, beats out RDR2 for that, but then doesn't get nominated for Best Game?

Is it just different committees nominating autonomously?
You're spot on - each category has a set of judges and they don't intermingle or discuss their nominations/winner with anyone outside the group

Here's this year's panels:
D3To1edWAAEvLqo.jpg

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Seems reasonable that TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding will be cross-gen.

Horizon 2 also seems like a plausible launch window title.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
All the winners, if someone needs a list.

ORIGINAL PROPERTY - Into the Breach
MUSIC - God of War
GAME DESIGN - Return of the Obra Dinn
EVOLVING GAME - Fortnite
NARRATIVE - God of War
DEBUT GAME - Yoku's Island Express
MOBILE GAME - Florence
FAMILY GAME - Nintendo Labo
EE MOBILE GAME OF THE YEAR - Old School Runescape
ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT - Return of the Obra Dinn
MULTIPLAYER - A Way Out
AUDIO ACHIEVEMENT - God of War
GAME INNOVATION - Nintendo Labo
PERFORMER - Jeremy Davies (Stranger - God of War)
BRITISH GAME - Forza Horizon 4
GAME BEYOND ENTERTAINMENT - My Child Lebensborn
BEST GAME - God of War

Nintendo Labo is now Award-Winning Nintendo Labo! lol

God of War is outstanding. Very pleased with it getting more recognition.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a full on apologist for Rockstar, in fact i have actually viewed their gameplay mechanics/shooting as mediocre which is why Max Payne 3 always seemed like a fluke to me that it arguably one if not the greatest 3rd person shooter and yet their other games revert back to poor shooting
I actually agree completely, Max Payne 3 made both GTA5 and RDR2 hard to get into for me, because you can see parts of MP3, but it just feels so unresponsive in comparison, I got over it eventually and in the end enjoyed the combat of both, but if they managed to get MP3's shooting in either they'd probably be my all-time favorite games ever.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
To everyone...I want to apologize about my earlier comments about the Sony comment. I understand that they were wrong and assuming does no good. I was reacting emotionally

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Arthur doesn't get really good until 70+ hours in, in chapter 6. But damn he does get real good.
I don't know about that. The speech he makes to Jimmy Brooks in the very first mission in Chapter 2 is one of the most subtly menacing things I've ever seen.

Arthur: That's very kind of you. But I'm not a good man, Jimmy Brooks. Not usually. You see, I was in Blackwater. I kill people. And maybe I shoulda killed you. Should I have killed you Jimmy Brooks?
Jimmy: Me...? I n-never saw you. N-not now, not n-never. I think we have an understanding?
Arthur: Of course we do. Jimmy Brooks... I will remember that. I've got a good memory. *taps temple*

Or all the times he teases John about being close to water? Nah, Arthur is excellent the whole way through, even if Chapter 6 is an elevation.

Oct 25, 2017
Tonight the message BAFTA are sending to the video game industry is that you have to play safe, do the same everyone has been doing for years and you will be rewarded. They are not better than certain video game forum. Disappointing.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roger Clark was robbed. Davies was, imho, the least deserving of all of the performance nominees because his performance and character was the least memorable. Doesn't hold a candle to Arthur Morgan.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico