• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that good a game and the critics are finally seeing that. I do think Roger Clark should've won Best Performance, but it was a tough category.
I actually think Yuri Lowenthal should've won, but he wasn't even nominated, incredibly good Spidey. Last year in general was exceptional for excellent VA.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sends the message "don't innovate, just do the same over and over again".

Ignoring the fact that God of War 2018 is completely different to the prior games, thus no where near close to being "the same thing over and over again", this post is pretty damn ironic considering your GOTY is NieR Automata and you've been championing RDR2 as well, both games that are arguably less innovative than God of War. Hell God of War's single one shot camera, the retractable axe and all its unique gameplay, physics and puzzle related aspects, the level design of Midgard, the overall combat style and its visceral up close nature, its all pretty innovative or fresh.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man the expectations for GOW2 are going to be insane. I hope they take their time with it instead of rushing to have it ready for PS5's launch.

no it just happened to win 130 GOTY awards, critically acclaimed and has sold 23+ million copies

but yeah its not a good game
This forum is massively biased against RDR2. Don't even bother.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Because it's Bafta RDR 2 will win. GoW is a game that appeals to the masses but Bafta always goes for the quality content.
tenor.gif

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
BAFTA be like

WhiteAntiqueBluebreastedkookaburra-size_restricted.gif

Congratulations to SSM, very well deserved. God of War is a masterpiece.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
valid criticism of the game is of course appropriate

but its when people go

"its just the honeymoon phase" or "critics are starting to see the truth that its not a great game" or "sales don't mean quality" despite the fact that it won 130 GOTY awards, way passed the so called honeymoon phase. It's the idea that we,fans, don't see the "truth"

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the cleanest sweep of the major awards since.......since when?
Since the year before it. God of War's sweep is pretty much perfect, though. It's not even losing against RDR2 in arenas that weigh technical ambition and competency more than other GOTY contests. GoW has that quality blend.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help me understand how FH4 wins best British game, beats out RDR2 for that, but then doesn't get nominated for Best Game?

Is it just different committees nominating autonomously?

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
User warned: System warring.
Man the expectations for GOW2 are going to be insane. I hope they take their time with it instead of rushing to have it ready for PS5's launch.

This forum is massively biased against RDR2. Don't even bother.
which is interesting to think if RDR 2 was a sony exclusive, if we would see the same rhetoric

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can someone help me understand how FH4 wins best British game, beats out RDR2 for that, but then doesn't get nominated for Best Game?

Is it just different committees nominating autonomously?
Getting nominated for best British game is easier than GOTY since you're only competing with British games.

Edit: actually now looking at it it doesn't make sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
PERFORMER - Jeremy Davies (Stranger - God of War)
I really, really don't agree with this one. Most of his performance was pretty good, granted, but I keep hearing the "I FEEL NOTHING!" over and over and over and it's a garbage line reading. To even include him in the category with Judge or Clark is patently absurd. And not even a nomination for Yuri Lowenthal as Spider-Man? What even is this?

Congrats to GOW on another GOTY. I'm still squarely in the RDR2 camp, but God of War is a superb game that's absolutely deserving of the recognition it's getting.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am happy for Cory and his amazing team sweeping all major international game awards. :D So deserved!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
People on this forum really feel threatened by the success of RDR 2, its almost surreal

Yeah, it's pretty funny (and the vice versa scenario, of course). I loved both God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. The reactions making it seem like one will erase out of existence if the other succeeds shows how little the community has moved past immaturity. I would call it childish, but I'm not sure I want to disparage young people for idiotic behavior like this.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
TLoU, HZD, Uncharted 4 (especially) have all had mixed receptions by this community, it's nothing new, some people just don't get the praise or can't get over the flaws, which RDR2 has plenty.
but none of those games have received the hyperbolic "criticism" that RDR 2 has got over the last couple months.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
People on this forum really feel threatened by the success of RDR 2, its almost surreal
I honestly think its more like some people have finally realized that R* games tend to be a tad overhyped. Basically there are things other open world games have done way better than RDR2 (*cough*Odyssey*cough*) but it got a pass because its a R* game. And because RDR2 gets rewarded with crazy high scores and huge sales numbers, what will force R* to improve and innovate if they see that their games are critically acclaimed. BTW I thought RDR2 was amazing in story and open world but flawed in gameplay.

GOW is basically the underdog by changing up the standard gameplay set by previous GOW games. The game and the dev had more to loose if it failed to live up to the hype and thus they are getting rewarded for being risk takers.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I jumped into this thread at page 5 and was wondering why the hell so many people were writing "dangerous," so I donned my detective cap and traced the word back to its source.

YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I honestly think its more like people have finally realized that R* games tend to be a tad overhyped. Basically there are things other open world games have done way better than RDR2 but it got a pass because R*. And because RDR2 gets rewards with crazy high scores and huge sales numbers, what will force R* improve and innovate if they see that their games are critically acclaimed. BTW I thought RDR2 was amazing in story and open world but flawed in gameplay.

GOW is basically the underdog by changing up the standard gameplay set by previous GOW games. The game and the dev had more to loose if it failed to live up to the hype and thus they are getting rewarded for being risk takers.
but that's not true.. Rockstar doesn't get a "pass" its because

A. it doesn't bother the critics that much and

B. the full package is still a masterpiece that the individual problem does not discredit the game

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think its more like people have finally realized that R* games tend to be a tad overhyped.
and the cycle begins anew. strap in, everybody.

you may notice that every single person here who was a NeoGAF poster during the month of March 2017, has already strapped in. Have them help you put yours on.